Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort Says Manning Gone (Merge)

My thoughts, not that they matter... I was never a Colts fan until Peyton got there, He made me fall in love with the Colts. He brought class, hope, possibility and swagger to a needful franchise. Now he's gone and it's sad... What's even worse is that it could have been avoided... It's like being in a relationship for years then suddenly a younger woman walks by with a bigger chest and a firmer butt and it turns your head so you leave your current love for a younger model. But then that model goes to a different team and kicks the crap out of you and makes you look like a complete ^fool^... Peyton makes whatever team he's playing for better, and if that team is playing the Colts, the Colts wont have a chance....

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LaCanfora has now... Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

How do league sources know this? Do the colts have to tell the NFL before they issue a press release?

And how come league sources don't reveal themselves?

And why is it mort this time instead of Shefter? Is Shefter on vaca?

Anyway, this is not how I saw this going down. I thought Peyton would stay so, I'm still holding out some shred of hope until I hear the Colts say otherwise

I'm sad though.

I agree, short term it's bad for the Colts, but longterm it's better. With this release, we could probably resign all of our big free agents like Wayne, Garcon, and Saturday.

I disagree abut re-signing all of those free agents. If we're rebuilding then we to rebuild completely. Let Wayne and Saturday walk. Restructure or release Freeney. Possibly keep Garcon. Get a big receiver in the draft, etc.

Good knowing ya'.

Take care of yourself.

I hope he is serious about his "Sending off my colts gear" offer, I'm interested!!

All you posters that wanted Irsay to take his team back had to know that this was inevitable.

This was inevitable whether Irsay had control or not, that is what people do not realize. Now I'll admit, if we had the same personnel, I feel this process would have taken longer, but would have the same end result.

By Chris Chase

Peyton Manning's career with the Indianapolis Colts will reportedly end Wednesday.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the team will announce the release of the four-time league MVP at a news conference. Cutting him will prevent a $28 million cap hit for the team and instantly make Manning the most coveted free agent since Reggie White.

Manning underwent multiple surgeries to fuse vertebrae in his neck over the past 19 months. He missed the entire 2011 season.

The move has been in the works ever since it became apparent that the Colts would be in a position to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. Still, as recently as seven months ago, Manning being released by the Colts would have been unthinkable.

He was the face of the Indianapolis Colts franchise, the man who resurrected a team that spent most of its 13 previous years in the city as an NFL also-ran. Indy landed the No. 1 pick of the 1997 draft and used it to take Archie Manning's son, a football player pegged for greatness ever since he stepped on a high school field.

Peyton ended up becoming the rare savior who lived up to expectations. He won Rookie of the Year in 1997, had the team in the playoffs in 1998 and only missed out on the postseason once more in the next 10 seasons. Manning won four league MVPs and led the Colts to their only Super Bowl win in Indianapolis in 2007.

Provided he's able to play, he'll attract unprecedented attention in the free-agent market.

Meanwhile, Andrew Luck will have two roles to play in Indianapolis. He'll have to be the franchise's next superstar while, at the same time, replacing the last one.

Without Manning/Polian how many playoff appearances have the Indianapolis Colts had? What's the reason to think we won't return to those days? How many free agents are going to really want to come to Indy to play now (for Luck)? This could set off a chain of many average/worse seasons.

Without Manning/Polian how many playoff appearances have the Indianapolis Colts had? What's the reason to think we won't return to those days? How many free agents are going to really want to come to Indy to play now (for Luck)? This could set off a chain of many average/worse seasons.

Could also set off a chain of much better playoff performances because we will be a more rounded team.

Thats the feeling I have. Really hope we are wrong.

What free agents have come to indy in the past 10 years anyways? I remember Corey Simon being the only big signing in along time.

If Grigson, Pagano and Luck prove to be a good combo and the team is good, FAs will come here if the teams wants to pay them.

I disagree abut re-signing all of those free agents. If we're rebuilding then we to rebuild completely. Let Wayne and Saturday walk. Restructure or release Freeney. Possibly keep Garcon. Get a big receiver in the draft, etc.

We can still rebuild with Wayne and Saturday. You're still going to need some consistent vets. If you have a bunch of rookies or young kids in there, your team will not do well. Look at the Bucs. You need to have the constants. I agree on Freeney, he needs to restructure, he needs to take off at least 3M.

The 2nd round position should go to a CB and the 3rd round could go to a WR, but it's not going to be a "big" receiver. It's going to be a pretty good one.

I haven't exactly seen many free agents beating the door down to come play for the Colts for the last 14 yrs.. That had something to do with Polian, but still, Free agents will go where the money is and thats all there is to it.

I haven't exactly seen many free agents beating the door down to come play for the Colts for the last 14 yrs.. That had something to do with Polian, but still, Free agents will go where the money is and thats all there is to it.

How many go to Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, etc. Every player in the league knows the Colts were good because of Manning.

Where's the proof of that in any of the years that Polian wasn't here?

We inherited a crappy team and never had a franchise QB. Polian did pick Manning but Manning made Polian look better than he was. Polian had a decade to fix the defense and couldn't do it. Sure we had salary cap issues but it was his flawed philosophy that wasn't working that he was too stubborn to budge on. I'm so glad he is gone so we can become a well rounded team.

He bought you a New ferrari ( Andrew Luck ) just by not playing.

He will hamper you huh.

Watch the fun now. If he plays in the same division or AFC, forget Colts going to playoffs till he retires.

AL is NO WHERE near a ferrari. And I don't care where he goes. I will still root for him and I will still remain a Colts fan. To be honest, I hope everyone jumps ship. It will feel good to lose the dead weight of fairweather fans.

From Kubler-Ross, On Death and Dying (1969)

1) Denial (No way Irsay will cut PM. PM is the GOAT. Trade the pick for a rebuild. We go to the SB with PM)

2) Anger (How can Irsay cut PM? No respect. I'm throwing away all my Colts stuff. I'm leaving to root for another team, I am mad)

3) Bargaining (Maybe PM is being cut so that they can re-sign him to an incentive deal, this whole thing is a PR ploy to drive up the value of trading the #1 overall pick)

4) Depression (I am sad)

5) Acceptance (Let's hope for better days with Andrew, and the new coaching staff)

Go Colts!

We can still rebuild with Wayne and Saturday. You're still going to need some consistent vets. If you have a bunch of rookies or young kids in there, your team will not do well. Look at the Bucs. You need to have the constants. I agree on Freeney, he needs to restructure, he needs to take off at least 3M.

The 2nd round position should go to a CB and the 3rd round could go to a WR, but it's not going to be a "big" receiver. It's going to be a pretty good one.

True but you cant overpay to keep those guys around.

Saturday is as good as gone. I dont think he'll want to be here now. I think Wayne is going to wait and see where Manning ends up.

Peyton Manning is the reason I started watching football. I have no problem admitting I am a true Manning fan and not a colts fan. I'll be following him wherever he goes. I hope he plays for a while. I only got to see him for a brief amount of time as I am fairly new to football. It'd be my honor to watch him play football, as I don't think anyone can come close to how he handles himself on and off the field. Suffice it to say, he made the colts what they are today and I think, even though Peyton is too classy of a person to say it, Indianapolis Colts will miss him more than he will miss the Indianapolis Colts.

From Kubler-Ross, On Death and Dying (1969)

1) Denial (No way Irsay will cut PM. PM is the GOAT. Trade the pick for a rebuild. We go to the SB with PM)

2) Anger (How can Irsay cut PM? No respect. I'm throwing away all my Colts stuff. I'm leaving to root for another team, I am mad)

3) Bargaining (Maybe PM is being cut so that they can re-sign him to an incentive deal, this whole thing is a PR ploy to drive up the value of trading the #1 overall pick)

4) Depression (I am sad)

5) Acceptance (Let's hope for better days with Andrew, and the new coaching staff)

Good post. When Luck starts winning everybody will be right back on board.

Just a suggestion for those of you who are taking this hard, but rather than lament the few years at the end that might have been, why not instead focus on the previous years that meant so much? I know that's what I'm doing and it helps put a perspective on things.

We were blessed as fans to be able to watch one of the all time great players play football for our team. This announcement changes precisely none of that. Every memory (good and bad) is still there. We'll be able to one day walk into Canton and point to Manning's bust and tell our children and grandchildren about the day we saw that kinda goofy looking guy with the big forehead come back against the buccaneers in what is probably the most improbable comeback in NFL history. We get to tell them about the time that we got to watch that guy finally beat his nemesis Tom Brady in the AFCCG on our way to win a superbowl for the city of Indianapolis. Something I honestly never thought would happen. We get to tell them about everything that happened in between.

All things change. That is the only constant of life and it seems that we now have to face that change. We can choose to either face that change with our heads held high, grateful for the past and looking forward to the future. Or we can choose not to.

Thank you Peyton, for all you've done for this team and this city. Wherever life may take you, you will always have a home in Indianapolis.

peyton_manning0205.jpg

I have to sort of agree with him.

Via Twitter

@StampedeBlue

Colts fans should cheer this. Peyton getting a chance to win another ring. He had no shot in Indy. Now, its Andrew Luck and the New Era

I agree with this. I still wanted Peyton back selfishy to see him retire a Colt but many of us on this forum felt this team wasnt going to contend again for a while. Obviously you never know but the roster just doesnt look very stellar.

If Manning gets with the right team (cough....9ers) he will have a great chance at winning a title IMO.