Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Frank Reich

TKnight24

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

:colts:

I appreciate that the part about Reich CONFIRMS THE GOAL...... comes the Colts and NOT from TK.

But I don't think Reich said anything new and different here than he has said every time he's been asked about Luck.

I just watched this three times and Reich confirmed.....   nothing.    He's not going to isint himself and Luck into any corner.  He gave all sorts of qualifiers...   if, if, if..,   Check off the box...    he hedged his comments every chance he could.

There really isn't anything new here.   I'm sorry the team is putting this out like there is...   I think the team does a GREAT job if putting out good info.   This just isn't one of those times....    

Sorry.

• Like 1

Confirms my belief that something is/was very wrong.  

Been hearing way too much "we hope" and "we think".  

Something was seriously screwed up in his surgery/recovery along the way.  

Realistically he should have been back at some point last season.  

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

You don’t trade away the #3 pick if you’re not certain your franchise QB is healthy 

Andrew is fine

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

You don’t trade away the #3 pick if you’re not certain your franchise QB is healthy 

Andrew is fine

There is no certainty there.      None.

When it's April and the guy isn't even throwing a regulation football yet,  then no one,  not Ballard or Irsay or Reich knows how healthy Luck is or will be.     No one knows how many games he will play.

Saying confidently....  Andrew is fine....   is just fan talk.

We traded away the pick because it's more valuable to trade it,  PLUS we have Brissett who the team thinks can improve this year.      None of the rookie QB's are ready to make a difference in their first year.     Brissett is the insurance.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is no certainty there.      None.

When it's April and the guy isn't even throwing a regulation football yet,  then no one,  not Ballard or Irsay or Reich knows how healthy Luck is or will be.     No one knows how many games he will play.

Saying confidently....  Andrew is fine....   is just fan talk.

We traded away the pick because it's more valuable to trade it,  PLUS we have Brissett who the team thinks can improve this year.      None of the rookie QB's are ready to make a difference in their first year.     Brissett is the insurance.

Again, you don’t trade that pick away if you’re not sure

Brissett is okay, not a franchise QB. At least 2 of these QB could turn out to be franchise guys. You don’t trade away unless you’re sure Luck is there. He’s fine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

Again, you don’t trade that pick away if you’re not sure

Brissett is okay, not a franchise QB. At least 2 of these QB could turn out to be franchise guys. You don’t trade away unless you’re sure Luck is there. He’s fine

He MAY turn out to be fine,  but no one knows.     No one.

And even if he's healthy,   no one knows how good he'll be after this injury.

And if he turns out fine,  it's not because you or anyone else knows anything.

There's a reason why someone came up with the expression....   even a broken clock is right twice a day.

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well it would be very foolish to have the #3 overall pick with potentially 4 Franchise QB's in Draft and pass on them AND THEN Luck winds up STILL BROKEN.

And IMO, I don't think Brissett is the guy to lead us to SB Championships incase Luck is not around.

Look at your last sentence...    it doesn't matter if Brissett can't lead us to a SB in case Luck is hurt. 

With our current roster there isn't a current NFL quarterback who is taking the Colts to the SB.    Not Brady, or Rogers, or Wentz or Andrew Luck or anyone else.    The roster has to be upgraded.

As for four franchise QBs...    the stats over the past 20 years suggest the only half of these guys will turn into something.   So now we're down to 2 out of 4.  

If Luck is never the same we'll do as well as we can with the roster Ballard is building and then try and figure out the QB  spot when we have to.   Maybe next year?    Maybe in 2020?    

Just because we fans don't have the answers today doesn't mean the answers aren't out there....

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your last sentence...    it doesn't matter if Brissett can't lead us to a SB in case Luck is hurt. 

With our current roster there isn't a current NFL quarterback who is taking the Colts to the SB.    Not Brady, or Rogers, or Wentz or Andrew Luck or anyone else.    The roster has to be upgraded.

As for four franchise QBs...    the stats over the past 20 years suggest the only half of these guys will turn into something.   So now we're down to 2 out of 4.  

If Luck is never the same we'll do as well as we can with the roster Ballard is building and then try and figure out the QB  spot when we have to.   Maybe next year?    Maybe in 2020?    

Just because we fans don't have the answers today doesn't mean the answers aren't out there....

Well said here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well it would be very foolish to have the #3 overall pick with potentially 4 Franchise QB's in Draft and pass on them AND THEN Luck winds up STILL BROKEN.

And IMO, I don't think Brissett is the guy to lead us to SB Championships incase Luck is not around.

Just how do you know Brissett can't take us anywhere?  He played pretty well last season considering he was pounded into the ground. He also had no running game to help him.

Give him protection and a decent running game he could very well win a lot of games.

Ballard said when he traded for Brissett it was for the future.  Well if Luck does not return to form the future is here now.

Ballard trading from 3rd to 6th had zero to do with Luck. It was made to help build this team. In case you forgot Ballard said this team is not going to be about one player. He is covering any scenario either way.

8 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Andrew is fine

His hope is that our franchise QB is throwing footballs before the season starts.  

If Andrew was fine he would have played last season. 

15 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

His hope is that our franchise QB is throwing footballs before the season starts.  

Luck being "fine" last year and this year are two totally different things.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's a reason why someone came up with the expression....   even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I go the other way.

The rhetoric from Ballard in particular has been very positive this year.  In lieu of what happened last season with stated team beliefs on his time frame, I think it's very telling the way that Ballard is talking.

I also think think that if there was true concern, they would have kept the 3rd pick.  The trade meant something.

Now ultimately until he throws no one knows for sure.  But the tea leaves tell me Luck will be under center come the Fall.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Only one who said Luck was fine last year was the owner who bamboozled fans into buying their season tickets cause the NFL only cares about their money 

So, now you have Ballard & Reich speaking on the progression and it’s a different tone this time around. Fine from last season and this season aren’t the same

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not feeling it with any of this year's 'top' QB prospects this year. I'm enjoying some of these desperate QB needy teams willing to trade so much away for this particular crop. We might still get even more picks out of this current draft situation yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Good thing he wasn't he would have gotten killed by that garbage o-line.

• Like 1

I look at the QB position and think I have good reason for optimism. If Luck returns healthy the reason becomes obvious. He will be a clear improvement over last year and quite possibly continue on his path to greatness. If for some reason he is unable to come back healthy, Jacoby Brissett endured his "rookie" campaign as QB, and if he follows the pattern of many other NFL QBs, is very well set up to make a big jump with a full preseason and a year's experience. Also, Frank Reich's emphasis on getting the ball out quicker should help both quarterbacks.

On the defensive side, the key to me is how the cornerbacks adapt to the cover 2-type theory. Slowing down the opposing QB's ability to get the ball out quickly would produce increased sack production. The 4-3 generally should make the penalty for 3rd and long increase as they can probably get better results in the pass rush. Here the question remains whether or not the run can be stopped to get them to 3rd and long. With this many "ifs" I can only say that teaching the team a new defense will likely take a minute and may involve growing pains.

All this being said, the real overriding issue will likely revolve around the team's ability to stay healthy. The information we have in early April all contributes to much speculation as we don't yet have knowledge of the team's final composition yet.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Only one who said Luck was fine last year was the owner who bamboozled fans into buying their season tickets cause the NFL only cares about their money 

The NFL is worth billions with each team owned by multi millionaires, sometimes billionaires. People don't have that kind of money unless they care about it a lot. 

8 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So, now you have Ballard & Reich speaking on the progression and it’s a different tone this time around. Fine from last season and this season aren’t the same

B. S. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

B. S. 

Lol. Call it what you want 

It’s facts. If Luck gets IR’d before the season tickets go on sale and before the Brissett Trade..... how many people do you really think are buying season tickets to watch Scott Tolzien?

It’s all about the money. Bottomline 

Oh and here’s the quote that put false hope into fans hearts so they put their hands in their pockets :)

Mind you reports then came out Luck wasn’t throwing a football. Wasn’t until later that season around Week 5ish when he threw in practice then later was placed on IR 

Just now, TKnight24 said:

It’s facts. If Luck gets IR’d before the season tickets go on sale and before the Brissett Trade..... how many people do you really think are buying season tickets to watch Scott Tolzien?

Oh and here’s the quote that put false hope into fans hearts so they put their hands in their pockets :)

Mind you reports then came out Luck wasn’t throwing a football. Wasn’t until later that season around Week 5ish when he threw in practice then later was placed on IR 

First of all, if Mr Irsay only cared about money, your beloved Colts might not even be in Indy. Second, the way he cares by giving to the community, causes, and more refutes your broad statement absolutely. I agree with much of what you post, but I love this owner, and I see the biggest heart and true caring at a level that exceeds any owner in the NFL. 

Honestly, Andrew will throw when Andrew thinks he can handle it imo. No one knows his body better then he does and obviously there was a set back for whatever reason surgery complications, speeding up the rehab, whatever. Biggest issue I've had with this entire process was why we let Andrew play the 2016 season when you knew he wasn't healthy, behind an oline of mostly rookies, and waiting an entire year before getting corrective surgery, 

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Honestly, Andrew will throw when Andrew thinks he can handle it imo. No one knows his body better then he does and obviously there was a set back for whatever reason surgery complications, speeding up the rehab, whatever. Biggest issue I've had with this entire process was why we let Andrew play the 2016 season when you knew he wasn't healthy, behind an oline of mostly rookies, and waiting an entire year before getting corrective surgery, 

*whispers*

Ticket Sales 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

True, but that's not worth jeopardizing your franchise

It’s not, but that’s one of the many reasons I don’t blame players for hold outs for money and whatnot. Owners just see players as objects or in the Texans case, inmates 

12 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

could it be that the owner is telling  them what to say? with that said I do believe that he will be back under center at the start of the season

42 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

could it be that the owner is telling  them what to say? with that said I do believe that he will be back under center at the start of the season

I highly doubt Irsay is telling Frank or Chris what to say. I think he is letting them do their jobs.

1 hour ago, reidaj1812 said:

could it be that the owner is telling  them what to say? with that said I ?do believe that he will be back under center at the start of the season

He could be but "mmm...uh...mmh ah...mmm" day don't understand him. Lol

Just joking, I love Jimmy :D

14 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

If you're going to talk facts then be sure to include the fact that Andrew Luck said he was doing well.   And he told fans he'd be there for the regular season...

Ballard also said the Luck was not skipping steps and doctors were telling him Luck was progressing and there was no reason to think Luck wouldn't be ready.

Irsay was the worst offender...  but both Luck and Ballard expressed confidence that Kuck would be back on time.

There's no way to know if this was done to sell tickets or if everyone sincerely believed it.   Or both.

My point is don't dump all the blame on Irsay.  There's plenty of blame to go around.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:46 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Dang mr pessimist over here .... 

11 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

It’s not, but that’s one of the many reasons I don’t blame players for hold outs for money and whatnot. Owners just see players as objects or in the Texans case, inmates 

2018...were people can't wait to smear anyone and everyone.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Is it possible that Irsay said what he truly believed to be true instead of there being some anterior motive?  Is that not at least possible?

Don't know if you are a season ticket holder or not - I would guess not given your wildly off base time line.  But season ticket renewals and sales happen in the Spring.  By the time Irsay said this, season ticket sales have essentially already happened.  

On April 6, 2018 at 10:54 AM, TKnight24 said:

:colts:

You know how coaches talk about "checking every box" after a major surgery & rehab. How come they never say he's filling in every circle? If the metaphor is a test taking analogy on the road to recovery, why are circles never part of the hypothetical equation? You check boxes on surveys & DMV forms, but exams involve either multiple choice circles or full length essays seldom boxes. Just an observation. Carry on.