Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin

TKnight24

There you have it. He wanted more money from us and we weren’t prime time enough for him. So please, stop with the “Chris Ballard let him walk” narrative. You can’t force a player to sign with your team people, understand that, embrace it, accept it. 

I wish him luck, and thanks for the season he had last year. One of the few bright spots during such a gloomy season 

:colts:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

And here’s one of the many reports that will say this. Tried to Ski Mask the Colts, but then settled with Oakland when Ballard wouldn’t budge. 

Also reported he doesn’t really fit the new scheme here but fits in Oakland so hey, win for both sides. He gets a chance to cash in if he does well, Colts keep their money :)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

There you have it. He wanted more money from us and we weren’t prime time enough for him. So please, stop with the “Chris Ballard let him walk” narrative. You can’t force a player to sign with your team people, understand that, embrace it, accept it. 

I wish him luck, and thanks for the season he had last year. One of the few bright spots during such a gloomy season 

Chris Ballard did let him walk and for good reason. 

Melvin is a press corner and he doesn’t fit the new scheme. 

What’s the old saying, “round pegs in square holes”. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a case of Jake Scott, and many other free agents in history, who signed for the same or less with another team and did not want to come back to their original team they played for that might have given the same deal, due to their pride being hurt.

Ultimately, the player needs to love the team enough to want to come back for the same deal. Good luck to Melvin, just not against us. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Exactly. Just wanted to clear the air on this topic. Now moving forward anytime a thread is made about a CB visiting or signing with the team, Melvin name shouldn’t be brought up about how Ballard didn’t “try” to keep him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

been too much of that the last few years anyways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sounds like a case of Jake Scott, and many other free agents in history, who signed for the same or less with another team and did not want to come back to their original team they played for due to their pride being hurt.

Ultimately, the player needs to love the team enough to want to come back for the same deal. Good luck to Melvin, just not against us. :) 

I believe we’re  scheduled to play Oakland this season, I’d imagine as it sits right now Conley would guard TY and Melvin on Grant/Rogers

Hopefully we add some WR’s, I’m not too big on our group right now. Also hoping that Cameron Meredith plan comes through. It got quiet on that end. Chicago doesn’t have the mula to compete with us though if we do offer something 

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

been too much of that the last few years anyways.

Facts. Signing “names” and just thinking that’s enough to win games 

I’d take a bunch of middle tier players that fit and one or two stars over a bunch of names that don’t fit any day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

I believe we’re  scheduled to play Oakland this season, I’d imagine as it sits right now Conley would guard TY and Melvin on Grant/Rogers

Hopefully we add some WR’s, I’m not too big on our group right now. Also hoping that Cameron Meredith plan comes through. It got quite on that end. Chicago doesn’t have the mula to compete with us though if we do offer something 

Yeah, with our plethora of second round picks, a WR is in play for certain there. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, with our plethora of second round picks, a WR is in play for certain there. 

DJ Chark is my dream pick in the 2nd. I wouldn’t mind the ND WR who’s name I’m not even gonna try to spell. But a lot of folks here are ND fans and they’re pretty high on him

I didn’t watch ND much this past season. I don’t really like their coach. Kinda throws the players under the bus sometimes, not a fan of his at all 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Well since he is paycheck player hope he falls flat on his face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Not happy with his arrogance, sounds like a punk, sorry

I always got a sketchy vibe from Drew Rosenhaus.

I know his job is to get guys paid, and he's pretty good at it, but I'll always have the Dwayne Allen deal stuck in my head. And that was one of Ballard's first moves, getting rid of that contract (and eating some of it).

• Like 1

OAK is primetime? I must have missed that happening. They are about to be back-page news in the Bay area with SF on the verge of competing and Jimmy G as their QB.

I know the NFL is just a business...but Melvin talking about respect is silly. That % goes both ways. This guy was cut by four different teams before the Colts signed him. He definitely earned his playing time, but the Colts also gave him that chance...and helped resurrect his career. He is fine to have this opionion...but I don't see a reason to tweet about it. 

So good luck to him, but also good riddance.

Also, if this is how Rosenhaus likes to play it with the Colts (making them pay an absurd premium for their own players), then I don't expect Rogers, Swoope or Walker Jr. to be on this team past their rookie deals.

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Early He would have signed with Indy if he would have got a contract he liked. Remember he tweeted that colts said they wanted him back and seemed pleased about it. But ballard offered less than he wanted so they agreed for him to test the FA water.

I'm sure he would have liked a better contract from Oakland but he decided to play with a better, more limelight team for 1 year and showcase his talent. Which he's betting will lead to a more lucrative contract for 2019 and beyond.

For players that have choices colts need to pay more than other teams NOT LESS.

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Personally, I'm not interested in embracing a player that would choose Oakland/LasVegas over Indianapolis because of visibility or Respect ( from whom?) issues.  Mind isn't in the right place, IMO.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

OAK is primetime? I must have missed that happening. They are about to be back-page news in the Bay area with SF on the verge of competing and Jimmy G as their QB.

I know the NFL is just a business...but Melvin talking about respect is silly. That % goes both ways. This guy was cut by four different teams before the Colts signed him. He definitely earned his playing time, but the Colts also gave him that chance...and helped resurrect his career. He is fine to have this opionion...but I don't see a reason to tweet about it. 

So good luck to him, but also good riddance.

Also, if this is how Rosenhaus likes to play it with the Colts (making them pay an absurd premium for their own players), then I don't expect Rogers, Swoope or Walker Jr. to be on this team past their rookie deals.

Yeah.  He's lying.  He wanted OAK/Vegas because he probably likes the culture better but didn't want to publicly admit it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yeah.  He's lying.  He wanted OAK/Vegas because he probably likes the culture better but didn't want to publicly admit it.

I totally forgot about the OAK move...though he won't be there for that (2020 is what I have heard).

I can understand that he likes the culture better...but saying you felt disrespected by IND is nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I totally forgot about the OAK move...though he won't be there for that (2020 is what I have heard).

I can understand that he likes the culture better...but saying you felt disrespected by IND is nonsense. 

Well, I can't say I judge culture clearly, but I think the visibility and respect argument is a smoke screen for whatever reason he chose.   I can't see why he thinks GMs will notice him more in OAK than IND. 

Heck, GMs notice college students from North Dakota State.

Just now, DougDew said:

Well, I can't say I judge culture clearly, but I think the visibility and respect argument is a smoke screen for whatever reason he chose.   I can't see why he thinks GMs will notice him more in OAK than IND. 

Heck, GMs notice college students from North Dakota State.

True. Seems like he was just ready to get out of Indy...unless they were willing to give him a monster deal.

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Fortunately for Miami Marlin Fans, marlin management has same philosophy.

Apples and oranges, the Marlin's need a better farm system not high priced free agent acquisitions right now.  The Colts don't have the ability to have a farm system. Nor do they need to way overpay free agents, imo.

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

And here’s one of the many reports that will say this. Tried to Ski Mask the Colts, but then settled with Oakland when Ballard wouldn’t budge. 

Also reported he doesn’t really fit the new scheme here but fits in Oakland so hey, win for both sides. He gets a chance to cash in if he does well, Colts keep their money :)

Dick move, I would have let him walked also

54 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Apples and oranges, the Marlin's need a better farm system not high priced free agent acquisitions right now.  The Colts don't have the ability to have a farm system. Nor do they need to way overpay free agents, imo.

Point is Bottom line the product needs to be IMPROVED.

Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if Rosenhaus didn't fib a bit to Gruden and used the Colts receptivity to a contract as leverage to get money out of the Raiders.  I always thought 1 year but $10 million was a bit of an odd contract.  You think a cb is good enough to pay him 10 mill, but you don't want a good cb to commit for more than one year?  Hmmm.  Maybe Melvin thinks he's worth 15 mil for 3 years.

With Melvin's attitude,Rosenhaus the agent, and Gruden the coach, I guess it makes sense that the situation doesn't make much sense.

3 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

The guy never started and played a full season. I think people forget Melvin missed 6 games last year and literally had one good season his entire NFL career. Good riddance!

Agreed.. he was pretty good for us in most games he played for us last year, but I don't consider him a legitimate '#1 CB' or 'lockdown' or anything like that..

I remember when Mike Peterson signed with Jacksonville for a massive contract and Polian said 'He's good, but he's not great,' as the reason we didn't match Jax's contract. Then we drafted Cato June and didn't seem like our D missed a beat..

Even with the CBs we have on current roster, I don't think we're going to be missing a beat without Melvin (well, unless 1 or 2 of them get hurt, then we'll be signing guys off the street).  I'm sure we'll address DB in the draft to boost our depth, but frankly, I think we'll forget about Melvin by the time the season starts rolling.

Melvin took a big time risk in signing for only one year. If he gets hurt he just tossed away all that guaranteed $. But it’s a gutsy move. He figures he’ll get one shot at a big time deal, and will get more exposure in Oakland. Best of luck to him. I thought he played very well for the Colts. No need to trash the guy because he’s seeking to get paid.