Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard is a Quenton Nelson fan

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

He is a fan just as 31 other GM's probably are.  He might actually be gone before our pick though.  Gettlemen, Giants GM, also likes him.  Speculation is easy to do just on the words "like".

Hopefully they take him at 2 then lol

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No GM tells the world who he is going to draft with the 6th pick.  I'm not saying its a smoke screen, but a GM who says he likes what he sees from QN is sort of stating the obvious.

I wasn’t saying that this is indication that we’re picking him at 6. Simply saying that he’s clearly a fan. Because of all the draft shenanigans, it’s rare for GMs to openly talk up any prospects. Maybe it’s stating the obvious, but I take this to mean that Nelson is very high on his board.

I am sure Ballard does like Nelson...like all GMs. But he's not going to draft him...at least not with #6. It would take a special set of circumstances...like a trade back to #12 or #15 and Nelson still being there...and none of the top defensive playmakers he has identified. 

Ballard has signed ONE new defensive player this offseason. And he has lost at least three defensive players. He has emphasized defense since he got here...and is in the process of implementing a new defense. I I think he is definitely drafting a defensive player with the 1st pick. And he will do the same thing next year...likely on the DL.

That's not to say he won't sign any more defensive players...but the types of player he is looking for is not available in FA...it's early in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wasn’t saying that this is indication that we’re picking him at 6. Simply saying that he’s clearly a fan. Because of all the draft shenanigans, it’s rare for GMs to openly talk up any prospects. Maybe it’s stating the obvious, but I take this to mean that Nelson is very high on his board.

I agree. I think I remember nearly everyone predicting Kelly to the Colts...and the Colts didn't really try to hide their interest in him.

But I think that was a special circumstance...a mid-1st round pick with the top player at his position that fits a glaring need and a not-so-strong draft board.

Those seldom exist this early in the draft...with so many talented players still on the board. Even Von Miller to the DEN wasn't a sure thing...as many people thought they would go with Dareus/Fairley. I think Nelson is definitely on Ballard's board, along with a handful of defensive players.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922740/article/colts-gm-chris-ballard-big-fan-of-quenton-nelson

Also interesting that EQ is mentioned in there. I think he’ll also be a Colt in due time. But there you have it folks. Also Ballard attended a Notre Dame game during the season as well.

I like Nelson too .... giants like him as well and they have an Oline problem just as bad as ours BUT, their QB is like 36/37 and sprinting downhill. 

I cant believe giants and everyone else say the giants are set at QB and a pick at QB for them would be a waist .... Manning’s do have a good name but aren’t good in the end especially Eli, Peyton was better but had a better team. They would ruin their franchise if they go Nelson or Chubb at #2. Best bet for giants is to take a QB and groom his replacement or trade out to help Eli more.

Drafting Nelson makes the whole oline better. He'll come in day 1 and push the other guys. He's just a tone setter. His play will be contagious ( kinda like a great middle backer impacts the whole defense). I really like Chubb but if he's not there just grab Nelson and move on. We've got three 2nd rounders to address the Defense and skill spots on offense. 

41 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Andrew Luck is Nelson's biggest fan in Indianapolis right now.

Andrew Luck is a big reason why Nelson would be welcomed. I just wonder where Ballard sees the value of guards. Different GMs place different values on certain positions. Jerry Reese for example, didn’t really value LBs at all, but really values receivers.

6 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Drafting Nelson makes the whole oline better. He'll come in day 1 and push the other guys. He's just a tone setter. His play will be contagious ( kinda like a great middle backer impacts the whole defense). I really like Chubb but if he's not there just grab Nelson and move on. We've got three 2nd rounders to address the Defense and skill spots on offense. 

Agree 100%.
I believe he will continue to over power his own man. And it is something to see how quickly he assess's what is going on and can get a push in on another player coming through beside him.
 He will make whoever is beside him a more confident, effective player.
  Let alone making gaps perhaps as wide as Larry Allen made for Emmitt Smith!  Whoa!  :spit:

I also think there's significance here because so far, this is the only pro day Ballard has gone too. Usually when a GM shows up to a pro day, it means there's strong interest in a high ranked prospect. Plus like I mentioned before, Ballard also went to a Notre Dame game.

The Bengals asked about him playing tackle.  Just out of curiosity, I wonder if he could.  He's not the prototype tackle, but he is so dominant at guard, I just wonder how he would do for 1 game if he had to.  They said he had quick feet.