Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay says,"Why do some of u guys want us 2 sign Moss? We got Reggie,Gonzo,Austin,Pierre?"

coltsuser21

Won't have time to go deep? Please explain this non sense!!

I know I'm just an ole fuddy duddy, but I am very concerned about the left side of our O-line. We may have two Rooks starting, and even if Costanza is the best of the best, he is a ROOK and some of the old pros in this league are gonna teach him some stuff he's never seen, hopefully not at the expense of Peyton. Just worried about that left side, that's all.....

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is spiraling out of control. Our team from all looks and sounds, short a CB (I agree with this, and only this) is a Super Bowl team. From all reviews, as biased as they are from various in-state sources, our new additions/rookies/ and vets are absolutely tearing Anderson up.

To those who think we need a "burner". Being an NFL receiver has absolutely nothing, and let me repeat, NOTHING, to do with speed. Do you need it? Sure, but do you need a 4.3 40? Not even close. What makes our receivers so talented is what many teams lack. We are precise route runners in a system dependant upon timing. If you can shake yourself even a foot free off the line, or run a crisp out, you're going to beat the man even if you run a 4.7 and he runs a 4.30. The difference between a 4.7 and a 4.5 is a body lean, that much time difference. It is an instant reflex click-click of a stopwatch. Don't be so dependant on speed when it isn't the backbreaker. Stop spending so much time listening to has-been players who say it is all about speed or some scouts/media who rely too heavily upon that. Ask any GM, is it a factor? Sure. Will it be the end game? Not at all. (Pierre runs in that 4.5 range... he is fast, but we're not talking "burner" fast)Yet, he seems to blow the top off a lot of coverages.

We do not need Randy. I was intrigued also, I will not lie to any of you. However, as camp is unfolding, we HAVE every tool we need and the locker room is sound. Randy Moss is not the answer and possesses not attribute other than height that is better than ANY of our current starting receivers. Keep what we have, we made a splash, find a corner, see you at the Super Bowl.

This topic is spiraling out of control. Our team from all looks and sounds, short a CB (I agree with this, and only this) is a Super Bowl team. From all reviews, as biased as they are from various in-state sources, our new additions/rookies/ and vets are absolutely tearing Anderson up.

To those who think we need a "burner". Being an NFL receiver has absolutely nothing, and let me repeat, NOTHING, to do with speed. Do you need it? Sure, but do you need a 4.3 40? Not even close. What makes our receivers so talented is what many teams lack. We are precise route runners in a system dependant upon timing. If you can shake yourself even a foot free off the line, or run a crisp out, you're going to beat the man even if you run a 4.7 and he runs a 4.30. The difference between a 4.7 and a 4.5 is a body lean, that much time difference. It is an instant reflex click-click of a stopwatch. Don't be so dependant on speed when it isn't the backbreaker. Stop spending so much time listening to has-been players who say it is all about speed or some scouts/media who rely too heavily upon that. Ask any GM, is it a factor? Sure. Will it be the end game? Not at all. (Pierre runs in that 4.5 range... he is fast, but we're not talking "burner" fast)Yet, he seems to blow the top off a lot of coverages.

We do not need Randy. I was intrigued also, I will not lie to any of you. However, as camp is unfolding, we HAVE every tool we need and the locker room is sound. Randy Moss is not the answer and possesses not attribute other than height that is better than ANY of our current starting receivers. Keep what we have, we made a splash, find a corner, see you at the Super Bowl.

i agree with you man 100%. i think the receivers we have (if they stay healthy) can absolutely take us to the superbowl! i just worry that if collie gets concussion symptoms after his first couple of hard hits..we will already be down 1 receiver. chances are gonzales will stay healthy this year but...you never know. my point is just that if we have the cap space(which,for this year it looks like we do) why not bring randy on JUST IN CASE we have a receiver get injured. in the case of the colts..passing is our strongest suit.i dont want 2 be in the same situation at the end of the year or during playoffs, that we were in last year. i think carrying 5th receiver (besides white, he is good, but inexperienced) would be a smart move on the colts part and randy has the type of size and experience down the road that i think could help us if we needed it. why take a chance on letting another team bring him out of retirement, lets go get him. AND i do agree with you that a CB is #1 priority also!! GO COLTS!

First can anyone remeber us ever having a jump ball wr...someone peyton could throw a pass up high in end zone and he could outjump the cb(like cards do with fitzgerald)I think torrance small was pretty tall but while he was good possessian type wr he wasnt talant like fitzgeraldd,moss,calvin johnson etc....at one point I thought roy hall might turn out to be but he never worked out...even if we sign moss and he only catches 10 passes all year if those 10 are all redzone catches he'd be worth every penny...im not a moss fan but he would add a dynamic our passing game hasnt really had

He'd add a dynamic alright. No doubt. In military terms he's the kind of guy his own want to frag. There's a good reason he had three teams last year. The guy is not a Colt.

we still have an undersized o line thats why we cant run the ball maybe the new rooks can do better we dont have a real burner anyway we need one

Ahhh yes...the operative word is 'maybe'.....And the real concern is protecting the franchise...

,some of u guys are some bitter people...I could understand if some of us were other teams fans posting insults or trolling or whatever..but for colt fans to insult other colt fans just because they have an opinion wth...opinions are niether right or wrong ..in fact as a veteran im glad I fought for a country that its ok tp not agree or voice

I know I'm just an ole fuddy duddy, but I am very concerned about the left side of our O-line. We may have two Rooks starting, and even if Costanza is the best of the best, he is a ROOK and some of the old pros in this league are gonna teach him some stuff he's never seen, hopefully not at the expense of Peyton. Just worried about that left side, that's all.....

I understand and share your concern. But I don't think AC and Ijalana will both be starting on the left side, I'm not even sure if Ijalana will be starting at all this year. Plus, and it's unfortunate with all the receivers the Colts have, I think we will see a lot of two TE sets in the first two or three games to give AC some help.

I am sure there will be some lumps along the way, hopefully none of them are too devastating.

,some of u guys are some bitter people...I could understand if some of us were other teams fans posting insults or trolling or whatever..but for colt fans to insult other colt fans just because they have an opinion wth...opinions are niether right or wrong ..in fact as a veteran im glad I fought for a country that its ok tp not agree or voice

Truth on voicing in America. There's always two sides to that street though....can't enjoy one side without the other. We're just talkin' ball, which is fairly meaningless....but be careful we can sometimes drift into conversations of substance. If you're new to this board, trust me, you'll find some here you'd rather not see exercising their liberty, haha Nothing personal on my end anywhere hereinabove ^.

And thank you for your service.

I agree with you on the routes and cuts. We have some of the best route runners in the league.

You are wrong about speed though. I use to run a 4.8 40 and i can attest that when running side by side to a 4.5 runner, :burnout: . It's not even close. In our offense speed has never been a issue to our offense where we just get first downs and chew up the clock. Someone with break out speed would come in handy and would open up more of those underneath throws.

I'm happy we have the receivers we have but it sucks when we kick fg's in the red zone and it loses ballgames. Bring on Moss

I agree with you on the routes and cuts. We have some of the best route runners in the league.

You are wrong about speed though. I use to run a 4.8 40 and i can attest that when running side by side to a 4.5 runner, :burnout: . It's not even close. In our offense speed has never been a issue to our offense where we just get first downs and chew up the clock. Someone with break out speed would come in handy and would open up more of those underneath throws.

I'm happy we have the receivers we have but it sucks when we kick fg's in the red zone and it loses ballgames. Bring on Moss

I see what you're saying and respect the opinion! =)

I'm at a 4.49 now and feel that receivers at a 4.7 and 4.8 can still get out of cuts just as fast and make it to point A at the same time. But I see what others are saying, once you GET the ball, that is where the speed comes in handy but has Collie or Pierre ever been ran down? I've seen them take 15 yard passes and run to the house untouched and they're 4.5 runners. Speed is just overvalued is all I'm saying! All about technique and angles.

I understand and share your concern. But I don't think AC and Ijalana will both be starting on the left side, I'm not even sure if Ijalana will be starting at all this year. Plus, and it's unfortunate with all the receivers the Colts have, I think we will see a lot of two TE sets in the first two or three games to give AC some help.

I am sure there will be some lumps along the way, hopefully none of them are too devastating.

Right. As long as the lumps are not on the franchise.

I didnt mean to come off self righteous ..I went to indystar colts forum for years but it became a joke ....I usually just come on and read what other colt fans are saying...im from indy(southside baby!!) But moved to tn as a kid so it was hard bieng a colts fan here until peyton got drafted ...and I hate talking to the colt fans here in tn because they only know from 98 on ..they only know the success our team has had they have only had to go thru two losing seasons not like us who have always been here..so im sorry I just was taken back a little ...

1. I am a Colts' fan in TN and it began with Peyton...oh, noes! :oops: So I resent and resemble that remark. haha

2. This may be America, but the site here is privately owned and we have certain rules of conduct here, just as in the sport of football itself. Those are outlined in the forum rules. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and the right to voice it, but insulting others is not allowed. The basic golden rule here is "Don't be a jerk." :D

3. Welcome to the forum! Good to have you along. :hello:

The Brett Farve is a different story there home girl .

Home girl? :spock:

Brett Favre was used as an example...'retire-unretire-retire-unretire-retire-unretire-retire'...who knows?

Moss just doesn't seem to be the type to me to be wishy-washy. So I don't get the whole huge continued daydreaming about him being a Colt.

1. We have a good WR group now.

2. If we were to entertain FA/trade ideas, why not think about those more viable than a retired player?

Just curious. :dunno:

And just curious...why is Randy Moss even still being considered? He retired, no?

Last I looked, his jersey didn't read "Brett Favre". lol

It's so simple even a Tn. person can figure it out :catfight: .

Just say you are BB up in a northeast place and you are game planning with your defense,

as it stands Garcon is our only deep threat and that is not a constant. How would you scheme a d to play the Colts?

Add Moss who helped his little pretty boy set records and how would you scheme?

Jeff Fischer is one of the greatest coaches of all time, a true football coach, understood this and actually it worked. Fischer was in a bad situation and noone respected his qb's, only CJ so it didn't work. Is there a team in the NFL that doesn't respect Peyton Manning to Randy Moss? Didn't think so.

The Colt's have became stagnant, so much that a Rex Ryan is out COACHING,PLAYING,GAME PLANNING us, we don't need to become stagnant. Just like the Titans, our opponents can cross one threat off before they meet us. The run game. Moss will help the run game, betcha!

Couple years ago do you remember Revis island? That's all anyone talked about, how many talked about it sinking when he called out Moss? What happened the rest of that game against Moss?

Just say you are BB up in a northeast place and you are game planning with your defense,

as it stands Garcon is our only deep threat and that is not a constant. How would you scheme a d to play the Colts?

Add Moss who helped his little pretty boy set records and how would you scheme?

Jeff Fischer is one of the greatest coaches of all time, a true football coach, understood this and actually it worked. Fischer was in a bad situation and noone respected his qb's, only CJ so it didn't work. Is there a team in the NFL that doesn't respect Peyton Manning to Randy Moss? Didn't think so.

The Colt's have became stagnant, so much that a Rex Ryan is out COACHING,PLAYING,GAME PLANNING us, we don't need to become stagnant. Just like the Titans, our opponents can cross one threat off before they meet us. The run game. Moss will help the run game, betcha!

Couple years ago do you remember Revis island? That's all anyone talked about, how many talked about it sinking when he called out Moss? What happened the rest of that game against Moss?

I think the point is that Moss is retired, and unlike #4, there's no "Moss-Watch" on the local news on a nightly basis waiting for the old silverback to come back out of retirement. In which case, no matter how great an idea it would be to have him in Indy for a year, he's a retired player, and it's unlikely to happen. Which I think, just maybe, might could have been PG's point. But I may be reading too much into her comment...who knows...

:D

I am going to take that from a neighbor with the best intentions and not as an insult. ;)

As far as the Favre comment, I think you totally did NOT get it.

If Moss had not retired, I actually liked the idea of him coming here on a one year, inexpensive contract for a tall threat in the end zone. Couldn't hurt! Extra hands for Peyton? Always a plus...especially with the injuries we had last year.

BUT! The point was that he has retired. Last I heard, he retired. Unless, I missed something in the last day or two. Unlike Brett Favre (who I would never want to see in Colts blue, btw)...I don't see Randy Moss as someone who plays that little game that Favre does. That is why I said what I said. I don't get the whole "Moss-dreamgate" scenario that is so threadworthy when there is no chance of him being a possibility.

That is it.

I hope that is now clear. Sorry for any confusion. I thought a Brett Favre reference was a no-brainer. My bad.

I think the point is that Moss is retired, and unlike #4, there's no "Moss-Watch" on the local news on a nightly basis waiting for the old silverback to come back out of retirement. In which case, no matter how great an idea it would be to have him in Indy for a year, he's a retired player, and it's unlikely to happen. Which I think, just maybe, might could have been PG's point. But I may be reading too much into her comment...who knows...

:D

What's wrong with dreaming? :whiteflag: . I'd love for Peyton to play that steelers guy role and hand it off 75% of the time, ain't gonna happen. This team has to try like molten lava to put Peyton Manning in the best possible spot to win more SB's. It's that easy.

I honestly think Moss would love to play with Manning, maybe not vice versa, but i'm positive #18 would have a better impact on him than #12 did. GET MOSS OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!

What's wrong with dreaming? :whiteflag: . I'd love for Peyton to play that steelers guy role and hand it off 75% of the time, ain't gonna happen. This team has to try like molten lava to put Peyton Manning in the best possible spot to win more SB's. It's that easy.

I honestly think Moss would love to play with Manning, maybe not vice versa, but i'm positive #18 would have a better impact on him than #12 did. GET MOSS OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!

I did not see the brent farve or acknowledge. I'm sorry. I'll bet my membership here though that Moss is back before reg. season. Who he is with remains to be seen.

Moss is better than 85% of the receivers in the league still, the 15% reside at the Colt's squad. It's a money deal and he does not deserve much money. Whats not to like? Does he want a ring or not? I'd imagine him catching 8 td's with the Colt's, a couple may be in the Super Bowl.

Just think about how he would help Clark,Wayne, and Collie. Just think, or dream.

Peyton girl I m sorry (,maybe my wife is right I need to work on my communication skills)..I dont mean I hate tn colt fans ....I just hate meeting a fellow fan and getting into talking bout colts and I start talking about pre manning days and then feeling like an * for bringing it up because they they dont have a clue about players or games im talking about.....it has actually worked out that manning is so popular here because before u coulndt hardly find amything colts related not a hat jersey and they have really been on tv more then theyever were for years down ..so I didnt mean to insult u or other colt fans here from tn

Moss is better than 85% of the receivers in the league still, the 15% reside at the Colt's squad.

Statements like this show an acute lack of understanding on your part. I like our receiving core, they are talented and capable. But there is no way that they comprise the top 15% of the most talented receivers in the league. Moss is old and lacks the drive and hunger necessary to be a top receiver in this league, period. The man seemed to be on a mission to prove so last season.

And just curious...why is Randy Moss even still being considered? He retired, no?

Last I looked, his jersey didn't read "Brett Favre". lol

Hey!

Take it easy on #4. He was dealing with alot of conflicting emotions. Here is a picture of a cat for you to enjoy. :cat:

Peyton girl I m sorry (,maybe my wife is right I need to work on my communication skills)..I dont mean I hate tn colt fans ....I just hate meeting a fellow fan and getting into talking bout colts and I start talking about pre manning days and then feeling like an * for bringing it up because they they dont have a clue about players or games im talking about.....it has actually worked out that manning is so popular here because before u coulndt hardly find amything colts related not a hat jersey and they have really been on tv more then theyever were for years down ..so I didnt mean to insult u or other colt fans here from tn

I gotcha and was teasing you.

I didn't learn to love football until I saw Peyton play (no brothers and my dad wasn't a huge football fan). So Peyton brought me to my love of football and for that I am grateful. But I am far more than JUST a Peyton fan now. More than a Colts fan. I simply love football.

The last I heard, 2 good route runners that manage to get open in the middle for the Manning brothers in the past (Brandon Stokely, and Steve Smith of NY Giants), are still free agents. I'd take a good look at them for injury insurance before anyone else. That is just my opinion.

Denver was 2 years ago wasnt it? he played in Seattle last year and was just okay.

All I know is that he killed the Saints in a busted coverage TD in a critical playoff game as a Seahawk last year, as a Colts fan, I loved every bit of that :-). He is still good enough to recognize coverages and fast enough to run by some nickel guys.