Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Letting Reggie Go

87waynefan

Admittedly I'm biased, but does anyone else think it would be a colossal mistake to let Reggie walk, which now appears likely? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to retire as a Colt. He's ben incredibly durable and reliable throughout his career. He's not a spring chicken, but he still has some good playing time left. Who's on the 87 bandwagon?

Looks to me that it would cost as much or more for a WR in free agency that isn't as good as Wayne. To be a good team we need stand out receivers on both sides of the field anyway. I think the Colts can withstand a fair offer. Several FA wide receivers available.

It all depends on what you mean by a fair offer. Is a fair offer top money? Is a fair offer one that offers average annual compensation at the franchise tag rate?

He has said he wants to stay here only because it is the politically correct thing to say. He won't come out and say he wants to leave the franchise because that doesn't look good on his part. He is going to purposefully overprice himself out of Indy, then say "well, I said many times that I wanted to retire a Colt, it just didn't work out" just so people think "at least he wanted to stay with the team" and don't think he quit on the team. Reggie doesn't want to be playing for the Colts.

He has said he wants to stay here only because it is the politically correct thing to say. He won't come out and say he wants to leave the franchise because that doesn't look good on his part. He is going to purposefully overprice himself out of Indy, then say "well, I said many times that I wanted to retire a Colt, it just didn't work out" just so people think "at least he wanted to stay with the team" and don't think he quit on the team. Reggie doesn't want to be playing for the Colts.

Yeah I don't think he's quite Stephen Jackson material, ex Pacer and current Milwaukee Buck who has came out and said he wants to go to the Nets.

“(Howard and Williams) is a championship contending team right there,” Jackson said after playing just eight minutes in Milwaukee’s 92-85 victory over the Nets Sunday night at the Rock in Newark. “Of course I’d want to play on that team…."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/in-stephen-jacksons-world-he-gets-traded-to-the-nets/

sdfasdfgn.jpg

I definitely couldn't see Reggie doing that as he's somewhat of a stand up dude..

I think that once the March *t deadline gets here we will know. If PM is here then Reggie stays at a reasonable price. If no PM, then the price goes up a bit. I know that makes him look bad, but if they want a tenured WR to be catchign throws from a rookie to help in the developement, I wouldn't pick anyone else in the league.

Wow. Just wow. I respectfully disagree with your entire post.

I doubt I would, if I'm Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Jeff Saturday, Robert Mathis, or any of the other guys, I'm not leaving my man Peyton Manning out in the dust...

I don't think that players are as loyal as you would like them to be. When your career could be over any given Sunday you're going to go to what ever team gives you the highest number followed by the most zeroes. There have been many a Colt leave in Free Agency, more than those who took a hometown discount just to stay with Manning. I don't think it's leaving anybody out in the dust, it's the nature of the beast.

I don't think that players are as loyal as you would like them to be. When your career could be over any given Sunday you're going to go to what ever team gives you the highest number followed by the most zeroes. There have been many a Colt leave in Free Agency, more than those who took a hometown discount just to stay with Manning. I don't think it's leaving anybody out in the dust, it's the nature of the beast.

Now if that was true I wouldn't say it would I? So tell me, why didn't Reggie Wayne go to another team where he could become a number 1 WR and get paid more when he got his last contract?

I would rather have him back over Garcon if I had to pick one. I dont to pay either one a rediculous amount of money. But IMO Reggie is worth more than Garcon. He has another 3 years left I'd say.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is a reasonable contract for Reggie? What do you think is a reasonable contract for Garcon?

Now if that was true I wouldn't say it would I? So tell me, why didn't Reggie Wayne go to another team where he could become a number 1 WR and get paid more when he got his last contract?

Reggie signed a 6 year $39.5 million contract in 2006. That's hardly chump change, and everybody around this team knew that Harrison was on his last legs with the team and Reggie was going to be the #1 receiver. $6.58 million/yr on a contract signed 6 years ago isn't too shabby, I doubt he turned down much better from another team. If he did, if you can give a link or proof that he left money on the table then I will apologize.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is a reasonable contract for Reggie? What do you think is a reasonable contract for Garcon?

Reggie- 3 years 20 mill

Garcon- 4 years 20 mill.

You know more about how the Cap works with bonuses and things than most do. So I would like to add a year and some more bonus money and have it back loaded to Reggie and release him before his last year and have him count a few mill torwards the cap the year after he leaves, the way that Freeneys would this year.

That is what I would want to give them, but Id say that Reggie will want closer to 10 a year and Garcon about 8.

Reggie signed a 6 year $39.5 million contract in 2006. That's hardly chump change, and everybody around this team knew that Harrison was on his last legs with the team and Reggie was going to be the #1 receiver. $6.58 million/yr on a contract signed 6 years ago isn't too shabby, I doubt he turned down much better from another team. If he did, if you can give a link or proof that he left money on the table then I will apologize.

You don't need to apologize, it's not like you offended me or anything...

And Reggie signed the contract in 2006 I think, and Marvin Harrison was still one of the best receivers in the league. He caught 95 passes for 1366 yards and 12 touchdowns. I do remember hearing that Reggie Wayne could have earned more money by playing somewhere else. $6.58 million dollars a year is very good, but a top quality receiver like Reggie could have earned more.

You don't need to apologize, it's not like you offended me or anything...

And Reggie signed the contract in 2006 I think, and Marvin Harrison was still one of the best receivers in the league. He caught 95 passes for 1366 yards and 12 touchdowns. I do remember hearing that Reggie Wayne could have earned more money by playing somewhere else. $6.58 million dollars a year is very good, but a top quality receiver like Reggie could have earned more.

I don't know if you saw my other post, but Reggie's contract in 06 made him the third highest paid receiver in the league, behind Harrison and Moss. Once again I doubt he left much on the table to stay here

Reggie- 3 years 20 mill

Garcon- 4 years 20 mill.

You know more about how the Cap works with bonuses and things than most do. So I would like to add a year and some more bonus money and have it back loaded to Reggie and release him before his last year and have him count a few mill torwards the cap the year after he leaves, the way that Freeneys would this year.

That is what I would want to give them, but Id say that Reggie will want closer to 10 a year and Garcon about 8.

The more upfront bonus you offer and the more front loaded, the more attractive it will be. Backloaded contracts could be deal killers if this is the player's last contract before retirement. Backloading allows the team to cut the player before they ever reach that back end payday.

Reggie will be 34 in this upcoming season. This will probably be his last contract before retirement.

Reggie's last contract paid him an average annual comp of $6.58MM And you want to offer him a $6.66 annual average compensation for 3 years. Somehow I think he may not accept your offer.

If only the Colts listened to your advice about backloading Peyton's contract.

The more upfront bonus you offer and the more front loaded, the more attractive it will be. Backloaded contracts could be deal killers if this is the player's last contract before retirement. Backloading allows the team to cut the player before they ever reach that back end payday.

Reggie will be 34 in this upcoming season. This will probably be his last contract before retirement.

Reggie's last contract paid him an average annual comp of $6.58MM And you want to offer him a $6.66 annual average compensation for 3 years. Somehow I think he may not accept your offer.

If only the Colts listened to your advice about backloading Peyton's contract.

Thats why I said thats what I would want to give, not what they would want to take.

Cool. Question is, then, who out there can we get at say 7 M/year that is better than RW? Also, what teams are likely to pay that if we don't?

It irritates me to no end when teams do this. That is, let go of a proven vet and then sign a guy for the same or more that isn't half the player of the guy they just let go of.

I think Reggie Wayne wan st to come back tot eh Colts but he doesnt want to sound like he's begging for money he feels he deserves...

But he's got to take a one or two year deal...nothing more...

I think he's a good candidate for the franchise tag.....because of his age

We can reasonably assume because he played all 16 games and was good last year that he cab do it again.

But 2013, 2014...no...How many over-35 receivers are there in the NFL (not counting TO)

I think Reggie Wayne wan st to come back tot eh Colts but he doesnt want to sound like he's begging for money he feels he deserves...

But he's got to take a one or two year deal...nothing more...

I think he's a good candidate for the franchise tag.....because of his age

We can reasonably assume because he played all 16 games and was good last year that he cab do it again.

But 2013, 2014...no...How many over-35 receivers are there in the NFL (not counting TO)

I think he will play 16 games at a high level again this year so im ok paying him but 3 years max.

Admittedly I'm biased, but does anyone else think it would be a colossal mistake to let Reggie walk, which now appears likely? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to retire as a Colt. He's ben incredibly durable and reliable throughout his career. He's not a spring chicken, but he still has some good playing time left. Who's on the 87 bandwagon?

I think he should stay. He is a big part of the offense