Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Letting Reggie Go

87waynefan

If Reggie wants to stay here he can. If retiring a Colt is more important to him than the big contract he will stay. For guys making this much money, if they manage their money right they have enough to live the rest of their lives. And Reggie has made alot of money and would continue to rack up millions with the Colts if he stayed here.

But if he is more interested in the max contract than retiring a Colt he is gone.

It's up to him.

As long as we can get Reggie on a two or three year deal I think it is a no brainer that you bring him back.

The guy is our most consistent offensive threat out there. He was productive under Manning and under the train wreck that was the 2011 QB situation. Clark, Collie, Tamme, and others defiantly cannot say that. Gonzo and Clark will probably just get hurt next year like usual. Collie is a good slot WR, but without a QB out there to put him into great positions he is pretty non existent as well. You are drafting a rookie QB who will need consistent play out there and our guys outside of Wayne have really shown that they are not the most consistent bunch out there. Ideally you sign Reggie, draft a rookie to learn under Reggie, and then have that new WR step up in year two or three.

Honestly, are we really going to roll with a rookie QB and rookie WR? We are not getting AJ Green at the top of the draft like the Bengals did.

Yes, there are young free agents there, but all of them will want more then Reggie. Guys like DeSean Jackson or Vincent Jackson are wanting big pay days. They will definitely want even more then what Reggie is wanting.

Manningham? He is a good WR, but do you really want to bring a teams third WR to be our top WR? Peerless Price says hello.

I think we are just better off, as long as Reggie does not price himself out of here, keep Reggie and letting him finish his career helping Luck.

Admittedly I'm biased, but does anyone else think it would be a colossal mistake to let Reggie walk, which now appears likely? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to retire as a Colt. He's ben incredibly durable and reliable throughout his career. He's not a spring chicken, but he still has some good playing time left. Who's on the 87 bandwagon?

reasons why not to resign him...

1) hes going to want way to much money

2) he is 34 its time to go younger

theres really only two reasons.....now reasons why they should resign him

1) he could very well go to new england to try to get that second ring (and he could get it in new england)

2) he could help groom Luck into the NFL

3) i still believe he has another year or two left in him aslong as its not painter or orlov throwing to him

4) he definently could help out any rookie WR the colts draft if they do draft one.

5) i really rather see Wayne back in indy, what am i gonna do with his jersey if he dont lol? (not a big reason but hey thats 200 dollars i spent lol)

i think the colts, should draft kashif moore from uconn, he ran the 40 in under 4.4 seconds, and a 43.5 vertical jump with a 10.6 foot broad jump. in those three categories he was at the top of the receiver list in the combine. i think he could be a steal in the 3rd round. put him in on the other side of garcon if wayne leaves and the receivers could still be a threat with him,garcon and collie (pending if he can stay away from concussions)

Isn't that what Irsay said regarding Peyton?
Yes - but the situation is much less complicated than Manning's. If Reggie is willing to work a deal the Colts feel they can afford he'll stay a Colt. If he wants more money then he will move on. To say he wants to retire a Colt is within his power. There are no health issues or 28 million bonus and ugly cap implications.

Yes - but the situation is much less complicated than Manning's. If Reggie is willing to work a deal the Colts feel they can afford he'll stay a Colt. If he wants more money then he will move on. To say he wants to retire a Colt is within his power. There are no health issues or 28 million bonus and ugly cap implications.

Yes, every current player has the power to retire as a Colt. If they do not like the contract offer from the Colts, they can retire right now.

However, if they think they still have something in the tank and they think what is left is worth more than the Colts' offer, they will attempt to sell it in the open market.

Yes, every current player has the power to retire as a Colt. If they do not like the contract offer from the Colts, they can retire right now. However, if they think they still have something in the tank and they think what is left is worth more than the Colts' offer, they will attempt to sell it in the open market.

Right - so if making more money is more important than retiring a Colt Reggie will leave. That was my point. He can say he wants to retire a Colt all he wants. But the proof is in his actions.

Right - so if making more money is more important than retiring a Colt Reggie will leave. That was my point. He can say he wants to retire a Colt all he wants. But the proof is in his actions.

Yes, and your point also applies to Peyton.

If he wants to retire a Colt, like he says he wants to, all he has to do is to accept the contract that Irsay offers him.

The proof will be in his actions.

Yes, and your point also applies to Peyton.

If he wants to retire a Colt, like he says he wants to, all he has to do is to accept the contract that Irsay offers him.

The proof will be in his actions.

This is what Irsay is busy setting up so that people won't blame him. If it's a ridiculously low offer or for only 1 year so that Luck can take over for sure, Peyton should walk.

and how do you know that?

Because he knows the Colts have uncertain cap issues with Peyton, yet still goes out of his way to say "I'm not going to make it easy on them to re-sign me". And he tries to make the organization seem like the bad guy by saying they haven't contacted him yet. I'm almost 100% sure he won't be back in Indy next year

Because he knows the Colts have uncertain cap issues with Peyton, yet still goes out of his way to say "I'm not going to make it easy on them to re-sign me". And he tries to make the organization seem like the bad guy by saying they haven't contacted him yet. I'm almost 100% sure he won't be back in Indy next year

?

?

Wayne said something like "I haven't been contacted by Pagano or Grigs yet. I guess there's a certain pecking order and I'm not very high on it". To me, that seems like he is going out of his way to make the new management/coaches seem like the bad guy and he is trying to make it seem like after doing so much for the franchise, no one cares about him.

Wayne said something like "I haven't been contacted by Pagano or Grigs yet. I guess there's a certain pecking order and I'm not very high on it". To me, that seems like he is going out of his way to make the new management/coaches seem like the bad guy and he is trying to make it seem like after doing so much for the franchise, no one cares about him.

Oh... I thought you were talking about Peyton Manning...

Anyways, I would like to talk to my boss if I need a new contract. Communcation is key, and it doesn't seem like the colts are very good at it right now. Most people would probably be a little upset in Wayne's situation.

Oh... I thought you were talking about Peyton Manning...

Anyways, I would like to talk to my boss if I need a new contract. Communcation is key, and it doesn't seem like the colts are very good at it right now. Most people would probably be a little upset in Wayne's situation.

Oh haha, yeah, my post wouldn't make too much sense if it were about Peyton. I understand why you said ? haha

Yeah, communication is key, but give them time. They just got into office and have to essentially hire a brand new coaching staff and get everything ready for the Combine. We never once heard Mathis or Garcon or any other FA open his mouth and say anything

Look, people, Wayne gets one more deal before he retires...ok? Last paycheck. Then its on to the quickly deteriorating body that faces all football players who spend 20+ years doing it. He won't and shouldn't take any less than he is worth (my opinion), because he has been a rare talent and one of the hardest working pros in the game. He may have lost some in his straight line speed, but make no mistake, LOTS of teams are hoping they get a chance to sign him. This is not Moss or T.O. here. He is a factor in how teams defend whatever offense he is on. That will continue next season. Why should he take less to help a team that is rebuilding and has a new coaching staff? Sure if PM is retained, then I see why he would do that. Otherwise, he will likely consider three things:

#1 - Chance to get a ring

#2 - Play with PM

#3 - Location (warm weather, etc.)

Money will likely temper any one of those above considerations. Next, Has anyone here, especially those who are already putting a foot in his butt for possibly not taking a discount paycheck, have a realistic suggestion as to who would replace RW with either a cheaper contract for the same production and effect on defenses, or the same price as he would command to stay here (with or without PM) and better production and effect on defenses? Please dont throw out players who will be resigned by their respective teams or unrealistic signing costs.

Oh haha, yeah, my post wouldn't make too much sense if it were about Peyton. I understand why you said ? haha

Yeah, communication is key, but give them time. They just got into office and have to essentially hire a brand new coaching staff and get everything ready for the Combine. We never once heard Mathis or Garcon or any other FA open his mouth and say anything

Garcon and Mathis might have been contacted, but we don't know. With Reggie seeing all these other players getting new deals, he's probably starting to get a little nervous. At least give him a quick call or something to keep him up to date. That's probably what I would do at the least.

Garcon and Mathis might have been contacted, but we don't know. With Reggie seeing all these other players getting new deals, he's probably starting to get a little nervous. At least give him a quick call or something to keep him up to date. That's probably what I would do at the least.

True, but I don't think it's a huge deal that he didn't get a call. I might be wrong, but I don't think any other WR FA has signed a deal with their team yet

Admittedly I'm biased, but does anyone else think it would be a colossal mistake to let Reggie walk, which now appears likely? The guy has repeatedly said he wants to retire as a Colt. He's ben incredibly durable and reliable throughout his career. He's not a spring chicken, but he still has some good playing time left. Who's on the 87 bandwagon?

yeah, It will be sad to see him go. He is truly a great route runner and probably has the best hands in the league. He can still play at a very high level for a few more years. Definitely a loss at WR for whoever will be our QB this year.

I wish the best of luck to Reggie if he indeed leaves. He will make a great addition to any team.

Paul Kuharsky has an interesting read on this topic on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/b...wait-on-manning

He suggests Wayne's decision about staying a Colt depends on Manning's fate. If Manning wont play for the Colts, Reggie is done at Indy too.

I would miss him, he still would be able catch passes, and a veteran receiver is very useful companion for a rookie QB. (It doesn't mean I would want Manning out, but there would be some chance for Luck playing)

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

34 years old, "lots" drops the last couple of years.... and ........... nothing...

Reggie had a very "nice" career..... and then Peyton got hurt.

Where was Reg then? Garcon was the "only" major factor.... and only for a game or 2.

OVERHAUL.

Paul Kuharsky has an interesting read on this topic on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/b...wait-on-manning

He suggests Wayne's decision about staying a Colt depends on Manning's fate. If Manning wont play for the Colts, Reggie is done at Indy too.

I would miss him, he still would be able catch passes, and a veteran receiver is very useful companion for a rookie QB. (It doesn't mean I would want Manning out, but there would be some chance for Luck playing)

Kooz is top of the line...

and Manning and Reg may very well end up "together"...

I'd like to see it;

Kooz is top of the line...

and Manning and Reg may very well end up "together"...

I'd like to see it;

According to Peter King, at least 2 teams are interested in signing Reggie, to lure Manning there. Dan Hanzus' article on nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

Can there be any article on Colts, not mentioning PM in any context?

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. Question is, then, who out there can we get at say 7 M/year that is better than RW? Also, what teams are likely to pay that if we don't?

There are some great nuggets of wisdom in this thread. Enjoy! (Have to go change my clothes now because I had to dig a while to find it).

What I'm most curious about is will this provide further incentive for Manning to keep away from Tennessee knowing he will have to play against Wayne?

I highly doubt it. Manning is a loyal person but if anything at all keeps him from TN its the fact that they are in our division, but it kinda helps lol.