Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on Dan Dakich

coltsfeva

Interesting interview with Polian, regarding Colts. Some comments he made I totally agreed with and some I was surprised to hear.

Agreed with:

Oline doesn’t need an overhaul but needs a couple of pieces.

Colts running game needs a producer at RB that can average 4 yards/carry and can break a game open.

“Front of Defense has some serviceable players.”

“It will take 3 years for the new coaching staffs vision to materialize”. (I hope he’s wrong on that).

He said Ballard and Irsay know what they are doing and the Colts are in good hands.

Surprised to hear:

“TY the only receiver that could have made the championship team “ ( couldn’t Rogers and Moncrief have made it as “bigger” receivers)?

“Other than Hooker, NO playmakers on back end” Am I alone in thinking Melvin, Desir,Wilson, Geathers and Hairston could be pretty solid next year?

Here’s the link:

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/bill-polian-gm-chris-ballard-andrew-luck-and-head-coaching-search

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-I agree with the Oline, we need a couple guards and a Tackle thats it.

-Drafting Barkley instantly solves the RB problem, i think the Colts take him at #3

-I think the our Dline is the strongest part of our team, and our ILB corps is the weakest, we have some serviceable OLB so yes i agree with that.

-I think we are closer than 3 years away.

-Ty hilton is our only reciever 100% agree, i have high hopes for Rogers but not proven yet. Top 3 weakest position

- I disagree with the back end of the defense, Hooker, Geathers, Wilson, Desir, Hairston, maybe Melvin should be good next seaosn.

14 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

-I agree with the Oline, we need a couple guards and a Tackle thats it.

-Drafting Barkley instantly solves the RB problem, i think the Colts take him at #3

-I think the our Dline is the strongest part of our team, and our ILB corps is the weakest, we have some serviceable OLB so yes i agree with that.

-I think we are closer than 3 years away.

-Ty hilton is our only reciever 100% agree, i have high hopes for Rogers but not proven yet. Top 3 weakest position

- I disagree with the back end of the defense, Hooker, Geathers, Wilson, Desir, Hairston, maybe Melvin should be good next seaosn.

Wouldnt 3 players out of 5 be an overhaul?

52 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

“Other than Hooker, NO playmakers on back end” Am I alone in thinking Melvin, Desir,Wilson, Geathers and Hairston could be pretty solid next year?

I think they can all be solid next year, but that doesn't make them play makers. Not a knock on them because you need solid players surrounding your play makers. 

Funny how everyone ragged on Grigson for taking a wr in the first round and yet wr is probably top 3 biggest needs on the team. Did he get the pick wrong....perhaps...but he wasn't wrong in having foresight to address the need. I didn't really have problems with many of the positions and how he was trying to build the team (plan)...he just picked the wrong guys to build it with.

21 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Wouldnt 3 players out of 5 be an overhaul?

You don't have to have 5 elite lineman to have a really good OL. We need good book ends...we could settle for serviceable guards and this line would be outstanding. Few if any have 5 great lineman....its a unit...its more than the sum of its parts. We definitely need an answer at RT....but it isn't like the line has to have 5 studs to be what we need it to be....we just need it to be good....we have enough talent at qb that good is enough. I think there are pieces here to be serviceable if they had a couple upgrades playing next to them.

Just now, dgambill said:

You don't have to have 5 elite lineman to have a really good OL. We need good book ends...we could settle for serviceable guards and this line would be outstanding. Few if any have 5 great lineman....its a unit...its more than the sum of its parts. We definitely need an answer at RT....but it isn't like the line has to have 5 studs to be what we need it to be....we just need it to be good....we have enough talent at qb that good is enough.

A different offenseive scheme would do wonders to improve the Oline 

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Funny how everyone ragged on Grigson for taking a wr in the first round and yet wr is probably top 3 biggest needs on the team. Did he get the pick wrong....perhaps...but he wasn't wrong in having foresight to address the need. I didn't really have problems with many of the positions and how he was trying to build the team (plan)...he just picked the wrong guys to build it with.

That was the problem.

We needed a pass rusher, he got us Bjoern Werner. We needed a WR, he got us Dorsett. We needed a TE, he got us Fleener and Allen. We needed a RB, he got us Trent. We needed a safety to replace Bethea, he got us Landry. He did get us Vontae Davis, TY, and Adams and the obvious Luck. He said he went against his gut when he picked Ryan Kelly, go figure what his gut keeps telling him. :) 

However, some of the best players we had left over were Bethea, Mathis, McAfee, Vinatieri, all leftovers from the Polian era. 

He had all the right ideas but the wrong guys for them. You could say that about Matt Millen too, right? :) 

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Polian had the best QB of all-time (ok Top 5 ever, I dont want to be a kiss butt), so he could Draft who ever he wanted and look like a genius lmao 

I like Bill.  I think he did a good job finding productive fits for the scheme for the most part.  His defenses never really had much of a "back end" either, except for Sanders, Bethea and maybe one or two others.  

I think we already have some that are much better prospects in the "back end" than most that he drafted.  But I still like him, I just think he misspoke a little on that one.

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Polian had the best QB of all-time (ok Top 5 ever, I dont want to be a kiss butt), so he could Draft who ever he wanted and look like a genius lmao 

He also got the coaches in place, Dungy, Moore, Caldwell etc. that provided a lot of stability and success, that counts for something to elevate Peyton's play as years went on. Plus, he got players to fit Dungy's system, who weren't that successful when they left the Colts, the exception to those being the LBs he let go - Peterson and Thornton, who I wish we had kept.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah, but a lot of people can put a plan together to build a team and see holes or needs.  So to say he picked the wrong people just solidifies his inability to do his job.  

I don't really care, he is gone (thank God).  I think we are headed in a good direction now... hopefully our new coach is a good fit and can do a good job of utilizing/ developing personnel (I know that a lot of that depends on position coaches and coordinators but the HC is in charge) so I am anxious to see where we go from here.  Gonna be a good season, I have to believe that.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes.

Fix the Oline.  Every receiver in the NFL has some strength, something they’re good at.  Keep Luck upright, he’ll find that WR/TE if the coaches use them right.  NE does it all the time, year after year.  

The D is good enough as is if they’re playing with a lead. It could be very good with improved ILB play.  And yes, that elusive edge rusher can make them even better.  

Ballard knows all this, his new coach will too. 

30 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No you had it right not being a kiss butt 

Hard to argue against 5 MVPs.

Not to mention having the most career passing yards, passing yards in a season, career touchdown passes, career 4000-yard seasons, games with 4+ touchdown passes, tied for most passing touchdowns in a game, most touchdowns per game, consecutive regular season wins as a starter, most 10+ win seasons, most 12+ win seasons(including 7 straight from '03-'09), and wins as a starting QB in a decade, as well as having 81.8% completion percentage in Dec. 2008, 4 games with perfect passer rating, three 6-touchdown games, one 7-touchdown game, 2 Offensive Player of the Year awards, 7 First Team All Pros, 3 Second Team All Pros, 14 Pro Bowls, 3 ESPY Best NFL Player Awards, 1 Fedex Player of the Year, 1 Man of the Year Award, 1 Pro Bowl MVP, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 1 Comeback Player of the Year, 2 Bert Bell Awards, 8 AFC Offensive Player of the Months, and 27 AFC Offensive Player of the Weeks. He has been in countless commercials and owns Papa Johns franchises. Everyone in America and, arguably, around the world, knows who he is and will recognize his face, and he has funded his own project creating Peyton Manning's Children Hospital.

Tom Brady, eat your heart out.

13 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah, but a lot of people can put a plan together to build a team and see holes or needs.  So to say he picked the wrong people just solidifies his inability to do his job.  

I don't really care, he is gone (thank God).  I think we are headed in a good direction now... hopefully our new coach is a good fit and can do a good job of utilizing/ developing personnel (I know that a lot of that depends on position coaches and coordinators but the HC is in charge) so I am anxious to see where we go from here.  Gonna be a good season, I have to believe that.

Oh....I'm super glad he is gone...just that people were ragging on him for the wrong reasons. It wasn't the position or holes he was filing like some were saying...it was the fact he was striking out on the players.

9 minutes ago, thatonefan said:

Hard to argue against 5 MVPs.

Not to mention having the most career passing yards, passing yards in a season, career touchdown passes, career 4000-yard seasons, games with 4+ touchdown passes, tied for most passing touchdowns in a game, most touchdowns per game, consecutive regular season wins as a starter, most 10+ win seasons, most 12+ win seasons(including 7 straight from '03-'09), and wins as a starting QB in a decade, as well as having 81.8% completion percentage in Dec. 2008, 4 games with perfect passer rating, three 6-touchdown games, one 7-touchdown game, 2 Offensive Player of the Year awards, 7 First Team All Pros, 3 Second Team All Pros, 14 Pro Bowls, 3 ESPY Best NFL Player Awards, 1 Fedex Player of the Year, 1 Man of the Year Award, 1 Pro Bowl MVP, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 1 Comeback Player of the Year, 2 Bert Bell Awards, 8 AFC Offensive Player of the Months, and 27 AFC Offensive Player of the Weeks. He has been in countless commercials and owns Papa Johns franchises. Everyone in America and, arguably, around the world, knows who he is and will recognize his face, and he has funded his own project creating Peyton Manning's Children Hospital.

Tom Brady, eat your heart out.

It's easy for me really lol you put Peyton on the pats and I bet the don't lose a SB lol

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ryan Grigson is holding for you on line one...

Not really sure what that means. Ryan Grigson was terrible but Poiian won a SB because we had Peyton is my point and covered up a lot of stuff by his great play. If you or anyone thinks otherwise you are wrong. Just like Luck covered up a lot holes in his first 3 years here. We were 4-12 without him, 2-14 in 2011 with out Peyton.

22 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I like Bill.  I think he did a good job finding productive fits for the scheme for the most part.  His defenses never really had much of a "back end" either, except for Sanders, Bethea and maybe one or two others.  

I think we already have some that are much better prospects in the "back end" than most that he drafted.  But I still like him, I just think he misspoke a little on that one.

I think people forget Bill was drafting to fit Dungy's scheme and best to maximize our QB advantage. He may have missed on some defensive players (not Sanders, Bethea,  Freeney, Mathis, I think he selected some good lbs during that run too) but on the opposite side of the ball we selected Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Colley, Pierre Garcon, Edgerrin James....and many other great players for us. Not only did he make the right choice to land Peyton but lets give him credit for landing Edge! He passed on Rickey Williams who a team traded their whole draft for to take our HOF runner. That wasn't an easy pass let me tell you. We always hear about the Peyton decision but I'd love to hear more about the Edge pick some time. We hit a rough patch towards the end...had he had more time I believe he couldn't have done worse than Grigson did rebuilding....even Belicheck has had some rough patches in his drafting...but Bill knows his stuff no doubt in my mind.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh....I'm super glad he is gone...just that people were ragging on him for the wrong reasons. It wasn't the position or holes he was filing like some were saying...it was the fact he was striking out on the players.

Right, and also the attitude could have been left behind.  I am sure he had potential but perhaps some more experience with the right people would have helped him ..... that is if he would have been humble enough to accept it.... that is a stretch though.

Well, like I (we) said good thing the Colts have moved on.... and not to keep on about him but lastly, it would have been nice had Jim not extended the two with the whole tied at the hip day.  But whatever here we are.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Not only did he make the right choice to land Peyton but lets give him credit for landing Edge! He passed on Rickey Williams who a team traded their whole draft for to take our HOF runner. That wasn't an easy pass let me tell you. We always hear about the Peyton decision but I'd love to hear more about the Edge pick some time.

Many in Colt nation groaned so loud the echo can still be heard........

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He also got the coaches in place, Dungy, Moore, Caldwell etc. that provided a lot of stability and success, that counts for something to elevate Peyton's play as years went on. Plus, he got players to fit Dungy's system, who weren't that successful when they left the Colts, the exception to those being the LBs he let go - Peterson and Thornton, who I wish we had kept.

Peyton won a SB with Gary freakin Kubiak and wasn't even in his prime. Dungy leaves and we just plug in Caldwell and go undefeated - well would've had Polian not pulled the plug. Polian is the reason why we didn't go 16-0 not anyone else, guy made a one of the biggest blunders in Colts history.

17 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Which could be said about many of the o-lines in the NFL. I'd be happy with one or two positions bettered. 

No the rest of the league could use an upgrade at 3 positions but the players they have are still decent ours are worthless 

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Fix the Oline.  Every receiver in the NFL has some strength, something they’re good at.  Keep Luck upright, he’ll find that WR/TE if the coaches use them right.  NE does it all the time, year after year.  

The D is good enough as is if they’re playing with a lead. It could be very good with improved ILB play.  And yes, that elusive edge rusher can make them even better.  

Ballard knows all this, his new coach will too. 

Agree....   fixing the Oline is Job One.    Protect Luck and block for the run.  If the new staff and Ballard decide we need three new OLs that's easier said than done.   WRs can be found in FA.   We want veterans who can contribute right away.   We don't want rookies who might need a year or two to figure it out.

The defense isn't close.    I believe we were LAST (if not close to it...) in sacks and we were poor in interceptions and total turnovers.   We've got a lot of work to do here.   One of the reasons we kept blowing leads is that we couldn't pressure the QB and couldn't create turnovers.   Ballard has his work cut out for him because there isn't much high end defensive talent available in FA.   We have to find it in the draft.   Again, not easy.

We may not be three years away but we are not likely doing a worst to first in one season line the Rams...    We need time and patience..

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think people forget Bill was drafting to fit Dungy's scheme and best to maximize our QB advantage. He may have missed on some defensive players (not Sanders, Bethea,  Freeney, Mathis, I think he selected some good lbs during that run too) but on the opposite side of the ball we selected Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Colley, Pierre Garcon, Edgerrin James....and many other great players for us. Not only did he make the right choice to land Peyton but lets give him credit for landing Edge! He passed on Rickey Williams who a team traded their whole draft for to take our HOF runner. That wasn't an easy pass let me tell you. We always hear about the Peyton decision but I'd love to hear more about the Edge pick some time. We hit a rough patch towards the end...had he had more time I believe he couldn't have done worse than Grigson did rebuilding....even Belicheck has had some rough patches in his drafting...but Bill knows his stuff no doubt in my mind.

Absolutely.  I agree 100 P.  I remember that whole RW and EJ year and I was actually wanting Ricky, but I remember saying to myself, well he picked the right guy between PM and Leaf so chill out and lets see what happens.  It turned out for the best for sure... that was really when I gained all my respect for him.

And you are right, he grabbed A LOT of really good players and many of them where kind of unknown or at least to the casual fans.  Not big names at least.  Fun times.  I hope we can get back to that....

I was just thinking today about just the tight ends he drafted/ obtained ... Ken Dilger, Marcus Pollard, Dallas... we had some nice ones along with so many other top notch play makers.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agree....   fixing the Oline is Job One.    Protect Luck and block for the run.  If the new staff and Ballard decide we need three new OLs that's easier said than done.   WRs can be found in FA.   We want veterans who can contribute right away.   We don't want rookies who might need a year or two to figure it out.

The defense isn't close.    I believe we were LAST (if not close to it...) in sacks and we were poor in interceptions and total turnovers.   We've got a lot of work to do here.   One of the reasons we kept blowing leads is that we couldn't pressure the QB and couldn't create turnovers.   Ballard has his work cut out for him because there isn't much high end defensive talent available in FA.   We have to find it in the draft.   Again, not easy.

We may not be three years away but we are not likely doing a worst to first in one season line the Rams...    We need time and patience..

We may be 3 years away from winning the SB but if win the Division next season it wouldn't shock me. If Luck is healthy that could definitely happen as we will add to our talent with another Draft and Free Agency + a new Coach too. Jags are overrated, Blake Bortles isn't that Good, I don't care how Great their Defense is. As long as Bortles is there they aren't a major threat. It wouldn't shock me either if the Bills beat them. Texans will be Good next season only if Watson stays healthy, we will see. I think Watt is about done - he gets injured every year now. Titans are a 9-7 boring team and Mularkey stinks so 2018 will be interesting.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Polian is one of the best gms of all time.   I don’t think you are being objective here.   He was successful before Peyton as well as with him.  

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Polian is one of the best gms of all time.   I don’t think you are being objective here.   He was successful before Peyton as well as with him.  

Yes he is one of the best ever, never said he wasn't if that is how people are taking it. What I am saying is when you have Peyton it makes your job easier. Without Peyton, Dungy nor Polian won a SB, Peyton won with Gary Kubiak.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes he is one of the best ever, never said he wasn't if that is how people are taking it. What I am saying is when you have Peyton it makes your job easier. Without Peyton, Dungy nor Polian won a SB, Peyton won with Gary Kubiak.

I misread it then.  My bad.