Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on Dan Dakich

coltsfeva

Luck was most certainly top 5 before he got hurt.  And I think his fellow players voted him as such that season.  Injuries derailed him since.  But he was well on his way to pushing ARod for being the top dawg (no disrespect to Brady or Brees or even Ben who I put a little below those 2).  That kid’s trajectory was otherworldly.

To improve each year like he did without an offensive mind (or line) like Tom Moore, Shanahan, McDaniels, Bill Walsh or others spoke volumes about Luck’s natural ability.  Plus the team around him obviously hasn’t been great. Yet he willed our teams further & further each year... He was without a doubt top 5 pre-injury...  Quite impressive if you ask me.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

False narrative?  Are you discounting the facts of how many playoff games were lost by the Colts where they never got to the point of playing the Patriots? How many playoffs games were lost when Manning had the lead going into the 4th quarter or had the team in a position to win in the 4th quarter just to see the poor defense and or poor special teams play give the game away?

As far as the Bills yes they were in position to win with a Norwood kick that was missed but that don't account for the other two trips to the super bowl.

Yes - false narrative.  In other words, that dog won't hunt.

And no, I am not discounting anything.

34 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I wasn't talking about our division. I know it has improved. I was talking more about the AFC in general,other than Pats & Steelers. 

A good off season,  coaching included, can get us back to playoff contenders. Which again imo, isn't necessarily saying that much in our conference. Lol. 

By the way....    it's good to see you back here posting again!   When you're not here,  you're missed!

Dont be a stranger!    

Good times are are coming back! 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes he is one of the best ever, never said he wasn't if that is how people are taking it. What I am saying is when you have Peyton it makes your job easier. Without Peyton, Dungy nor Polian won a SB, Peyton won with Gary Kubiak.

This doesn't get stressed enough especially with the irony of Kubiak essentially losing his job on the Texans because he chose to stick with Schaub then ends up winning the SB with Manning elsewhere.

Listening to Polian, it seemed like he still prefers to focus premium draft picks on offensive weapons. While not saying the Colts should use the pick to draft Barkley, he did say ...didn't we pick Edgerrin with the 3rd pick (actually it was the 4th) and how did that turn out? He also put a focus on WR by saying TY is the only current receiver who could have made one of his Colts teams.

I'm still believing that option 1 should be trade down to get more valuable picks. Option 2 would be to draft Bradley Chubb. Dynamic edge rushers are so, so hard to come by.

50 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Listening to Polian, it seemed like he still prefers to focus premium draft picks on offensive weapons. While not saying the Colts should use the pick to draft Barkley, he did say ...didn't we pick Edgerrin with the 3rd pick (actually it was the 4th) and how did that turn out? He also put a focus on WR by saying TY is the only current receiver who could have made one of his Colts teams.

I'm still believing that option 1 should be trade down to get more valuable picks. Option 2 would be to draft Bradley Chubb. Dynamic edge rushers are so, so hard to come by.

Trading down is overthinking things.

Chubb is there.....He's got what you need.  Take him and move on to the second round

20 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I like Bill.  I think he did a good job finding productive fits for the scheme for the most part.  His defenses never really had much of a "back end" either, except for Sanders, Bethea and maybe one or two others.  

I think we already have some that are much better prospects in the "back end" than most that he drafted.  But I still like him, I just think he misspoke a little on that one.

He built the best team in football in 2005. I know we lost in the playoffs but we were the best team. 

1 hour ago, Buddy Lee said:

What do you think of drafting Arden Key for the 3 pick?

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Luck was most certainly top 5 before he got hurt.  And I think his fellow players voted him as such that season.  Injuries derailed him since.  But he was well on his way to pushing ARod for being the top dawg (no disrespect to Brady or Brees or even Ben who I put a little below those 2).  That kid’s trajectory was otherworldly.

To improve each year like he did without an offensive mind (or line) like Tom Moore, Shanahan, McDaniels, Bill Walsh or others spoke volumes about Luck’s natural ability.  Plus the team around him obviously hasn’t been great. Yet he willed our teams further & further each year... He was without a doubt top 5 pre-injury...  Quite impressive if you ask me.

I just hope of course he gets healthy. I also want to see him with a great O-line. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....    it's good to see you back here posting again!   When you're not here,  you're missed!

Dont be a stranger!    

Good times are are coming back! 

Thanks buddy. 

I had to use a new user name 'cause my email was hacked supposedly and new password which I naturally forgot lol. 

So I'm under 'limited' posts and can't start a thread yet 'cause I'm a newbie haha. 

27 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Not overlooking anything.

As with most things, we will have to agree to disagree.

When you judge something you have to look at both the positive and the negative. If not, you are not seeing the big picture.

I never said Polian was bad at being a GM. Him being in the HOF proves that.

Polian left the Colts with a pretty bad taste in the teams mouth with him trying to force his son on this team. He mismanaged the cap to the extent of 39 million in dead space.

Oh, lets not forget him throwing a chance at a perfect season out the door and his signing of Kerry Collins for a two year contract paying him  4 million for 3 games.

It's thing like this that can't be overlooked when judging his time with the Colts.

2 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

Not sure it's that simple. He drafted defenders in the first and second rounds --- Freeney, Jackson, Morris, Sanders, Hayden, Angerer, etc. --- i just think he realized that with Manning, our offense was always, rightly, going to be our strength. And so, he drafted Edge, Dallas, Reggie, Addai, etc.

we should also recognize that if Luck is healthy, offense should be our strength. that doesn't mean ignore defense, it means project and protect your strength. 

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes Poilian was a great GM in building great offenses. With that said he didn't have a good record with building winning super bowl teams. He was possessed with thinking a great offense could win the super bowl and never learned from his mistakes. Fun to watch teams that don't win super bowls is what the Bills and the Colts ended up being.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

False narrative?  Are you discounting the facts of how many playoff games were lost by the Colts where they never got to the point of playing the Patriots? How many playoffs games were lost when Manning had the lead going into the 4th quarter or had the team in a position to win in the 4th quarter just to see the poor defense and or poor special teams play give the game away?

As far as the Bills yes they were in position to win with a Norwood kick that was missed but that don't account for the other two trips to the super bowl.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are correct. You are not discounting, just overlooking.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

When you judge something you have to look at both the positive and the negative. If not, you are not seeing the big picture.

I never said Polian was bad at being a GM. Him being in the HOF proves that.

Polian left the Colts with a pretty bad taste in the teams mouth with him trying to force his son on this team. He mismanaged the cap to the extent of 39 million in dead space.

Oh, lets not forget him throwing a chance at a perfect season out the door and his signing of Kerry Collins for a two year contract paying him  4 million for 3 games.

It's thing like this that can't be overlooked when judging his time with the Colts.

Oh Dear God...

You telling someone else to look at both sides is rich.  You get into arguments with virtually EVERY poster on this forum and it ain't because you of your ability to see both sides.

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Oh Dear God...

You telling someone else to look at both sides is rich.  You get into arguments with virtually EVERY poster on this forum and it ain't because you of your ability to see both sides.

Now please tell me what In my comments where I am wrong.

You confuse me not thinking the same as those who have a different opinion than me with arguing.

Exactly why did you even bring this up? Was it to be argumentative yourself?

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The rest of the teams DONT stink.   Fans here have been saying that for so many years they can't seem to stop saying that.

It's not true.

Jacksonville does not stink.

Tennessee does not stink.

Houston does not stink.

These teams may not be great, but they do not stink.    There's a difference between having a bad season and stinking.

Cleveland stinks.    There's a team that is terrible....    Otherwise....   no.   Sorry.

i concur

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Thanks buddy. 

I had to use a new user name 'cause my email was hacked supposedly and new password which I naturally forgot lol. 

are no newbie

So I'm under 'limited' posts and can't start a thread yet 'cause I'm a newbie haha. 

you are no newbie to a lot of us