Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Like most of you it seems like the McDaniels train has passed the station. Nagy could be going to the Bears so ASSUMING those two are out I wonder if he is still courting a certain coach in Ann Arbor, Columbus or Tuscaloosa 

What are you basing this on?

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

What are you basing this on?

I agree with that question.

Harbaugh has already said he is not leaving Michigan and the other two I wouldn't think they are even on Ballard's radar.  I jus don't see Irsay signing off for any college coach at this time.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with that question.

Harbaugh has already said he is not leaving Michigan and the other two I wouldn't think they are even on Ballard's radar.  I jus don't see Irsay signing off for any college coach at this time.

Mercy, are we taking the SAT today. I just speculated that McDaniels did not want to be here, just a feeling  (Thats called and opinion) and I just WONDERED if he was looking the college coached 

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

More of their running game then brees, but brees was good this year.

But NO couldn't (and didn't even really try to) run the ball against CAR. They also didn't involve the RBs in the passing game like they usually do. 

Obviously, NO is a very dangerous team that can beat you in many ways...but their offense was fueled by the RBs all season and they switched it up to avoid CAR's strength.

The reason for this...the LBs (and the front 7). The Colts need to hire Al Holcomb to be their DC.

12 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Mercy, are we taking the SAT today. I just speculated that McDaniels did not want to be here, just a feeling  (Thats called and opinion) and I just WONDERED if he was looking the college coached 

I think the issue people are having is that you saying the McDaniels train has left the station, and also felt many other posters thought/assumed the same. I don't think anyone knows what you are basing the speculation on and definitely don't agree. Seems like you just came out of left field... I think most believe McDaniels is still in play. What was your "train left" post based on? I haven't seen any thing to make me believe he's not in play. 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Like most of you it seems like the McDaniels train has passed the station. Nagy could be going to the Bears so ASSUMING those two are out I wonder if he is still courting a certain coach in Ann Arbor, Columbus or Tuscaloosa 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000904284/article/matt-nagy-named-head-coach-of-chicago-bears

16 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think the issue people are having is that you saying the McDaniels train has left the station, and also felt many other posters thought/assumed the same. I don't think anyone knows what you are basing the speculation on and definitely don't agree. Seems like you just came out of left field... I think most believe McDaniels is still in play. What was your "train left" post based on? I haven't seen any thing to make me believe he's not in play. 

he left here without a deal or at least a confirmation and he is still talking to teams. I know he is busy in the playoffs but it just SEEMS like he may not be here. 

11 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

he left here without a deal or at least a confirmation and he is still talking to teams. I know he is busy in the playoffs but it just SEEMS like he may not be here. 

There are such a things as second interviews. Unfortunately, we can't talk to him again until the pats are out of the playoffs or until super bowl bye week

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

HUH what?  I just said it "seems' and "assuming"   I just do not think McDaniels is coming here sorry if offended 

I don't get the "like most of you" part. I think you're literally the first who's said you think that. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Well Ballard did say he wanted to keep this internal

Yeah... The search. But if the colts and McD do reach an agreement I'm sure an announcement will be made. For one thing that let's his other suitors pursue other candidates. 

19 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Has any coordinator that is still actively involved in the post season ever announced of a pending promotion with another team while still in the hunt???

Nagy's announcement makes sense today as KC was eliminated this weekend...

46 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Has any coordinator that is still actively involved in the post season ever announced of a pending promotion with another team while still in the hunt???

Nagy's announcement makes sense today as KC was eliminated this weekend...

I'm almost positive it was announced that Kyle shanahan and the 49ers "had reached an agreement" while the falcons were still alive in the playoffs 

On January 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM, BR-549 said:

I figured you for one against the idea of him coming here.  I guess I am undecided.  I kind of like him, but I don't know that I have much faith in him..... that could change though.  I would like to hear him talk and get a better idea of what he is all about.  I really only know what I have read and although I have great deal of respect for BB, that doesn't mean his subordinates get a free pass.

I keep coming back to something moderator Superman said once. Basically, if I recall correctly, why do so many people think that you cannot win Championships in this league unless you hire a Emperor Palpatine/BB disciple from his coaching tree? It's not like anybody has left Boston, been handed a football program, & won hardware on their own 2 feet. I'm not opposed to interviewing McDaniels. I just don't see Josh as an NFL Savior I guess. 

On January 2, 2018 at 5:39 PM, krunk said:

Again I think the Xs and Os would be fine with Mcdaniels, but I still have concerns about the personality fit between him, Ballard, and Irsay.  Don't want a situation like they have/had down in Houston where they aren't clicking and there's internal discord.   We'll see what happens.

Uh huh. Bingo! Shannon Sharpe on Undisputed went into depth about this. Why Josh crashed & burned in Denver. He started to act like he was BB like guys were just supposed to fall in line & do exactly what he said because of all his success meaning rings in Massachusetts in Boston. Excuse me? Slow your roll there big dog. You ain't done squat as an HC other then get fired by Pat Bowlen for rumors of illegal videotaping again. 

On January 3, 2018 at 7:45 AM, lollygagger8 said:

I get that he's been good at OC, but I just don't know about HC.

I still have this voice in the back of my mind that says "Remember his failure in Denver"

Kind of in the Yoda voice when he says: 

Image result for yoda remember your failure at the cave

haha Lolly you always make me LMAO. Keep Doing It. "Funny man you are" in Yoda voice. 

On January 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM, dgambill said:

I fully understand what you mean. It is one thing to simply run the offense....call plays and help game plan. Its quite another to run the whole scheme. Be in charge of the special teams, defense, offense, challenges, changing game plans, managing player issues, keeping everyone focused, motivated, and in line. That is not easy. NE success is not easy to duplicate because it has been built and ingrained for decades under Bellicheck. It isn't the system in NE...its Belicheck. He could change his system and often times has on defense...and offense...but how the team runs and prepares and holds people accountable all stays the same because it all runs through one man. Can McDaniels be that man?? I don't know and that is what Ballard has to determine. The Denver thing I simply see it as a positive. He went, he saw, he failed. He can learn from his mistakes....he is far from as young as he was...he was given too much control imo...and wasn't ready. I think now he likely is. Does that mean it will still work...nope...but I think his failures in Denver are a huge POSITIVE for him as he has sure to have learned a lot of lessons that he doesn't have to repeat here. I think the staff he puts in place would be very important to if he would succeed here....and I think Ballard will look very closely into that. It takes a village....one great HC can't do it alone he needs strength and leadership at all points of contact with the players. No matter who comes in I will look at that closely...something I think hurt Chuck a lot in his run here.

Tushay I agree with you dgb completely. Josh's 1st go round in Denver flamed out quickly because he acted as though players were just supposed to idolize his rings without hesitation & not question whatever he said. You've got earn everybody's respect at an organization: Players, security guards, secretaries, lunch room personnel, etc. etc. everybody & I do mean everybody in the building. Hopefully, McDaniels has learned that now. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

He never traded for Cassel, so it's a bit of a red herring to begin with.

Jay Cutler was an entitled and petulant brat in Denver, and when he heard that McDaniels had asked about possibly considering maybe somewhat thinking about trading for Cassel, he had a meltdown and demanded a trade. I'm not saying McDaniels handled it right, but I was always under the impression that Cutler was the bigger issue with that situation.

Rumors of that kind of attitude goes all the way back to Santa Claus and Heritage Hills High School for Cutler

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

After reading the comments (or retweets?) from above link...

Many seem to think McDaniels may refuse the Colts (due to Irsay) and elect to stay with NE.

If he was gonna decline the job why the hell would he accept the interview in the first place?? The people in the comments are stupid! :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'm almost positive it was announced that Kyle shanahan and the 49ers "had reached an agreement" while the falcons were still alive in the playoffs 

thanks for bringing that up, & while that may very well be the case that Shanahan was penciled in with the Niners before the post season was over, I guess it just doesn't "feel" like the norm, or that McDaniels is definitely "out of the running" just because nothing has been announced.

Ha, I guess I am also partially basing my opinion on New England's modus operandi. Announcing a coaching departure from their organization while they're still seemingly "dominating" the league doesn't "feel" like a very "Pats Way" of doing things. 

I guess I just feel like while McDaniels may very well be a front runner,  I would still expect Ballard would go through with due diligence & interview all realistic candidates before jumping the gun & hiring the first guy that impresses...

But what do I know...

If I was Jimmy Irsay the 1st question I ask Josh is this: Tell me what you learned from your time in Denver & why you were let go the manner in which you were? 

Are you comfortable working for the franchise that coined the controversy 'Deflate Gate?" 

What steps will you enable to protect Luck? Are we talking quicker releases, bunch WR/TE formations, more quick passes to RBs? 

How do you view the owner? Crazy, innovative, ahead of his time, guitar collector? What will your press conferences be like? Open, in depth, friendly & informative? Or a BB clone which is condescending to the media where he mumbles & tells you absolutely nothing as a devoted INDY fan? 

I really wanna know how smooth Josh McDaniels would be as being regarded as the Benedict Arnold working for the rival Colts who forever changed Brady's reputation with deflated balls. Can he walk into Foxboro as our new HC & be viewed as a traitor to Boston now? 

15 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I guess I just feel like while McDaniels may very well be a front runner,  I would still expect Ballard would go through with due diligence & interview all realistic candidates before jumping the gun & hiring the first guy that impresses...

Nothing about what Ballard is saying or doing gives me the impression he'll jump the gun on anything. He's a "due diligence" kind of guy, which is exactly the approach I was hoping he'd take with this coaching search.

There are a couple names I haven't heard in connection with the Colts job -- Pat Shurmur, for one -- but Ballard is taking his time, he's already reportedly interviewed five guys, with a sixth in his back pocket (Toub), and appears willing to wait for his guy, if necessary.

He probably could have had Nagy if he wanted him. Richard and Vrabel are available now. Wilks and Toub are now free. The more time that goes by, the more it looks like McDaniels is at the top of his list. 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Also don't get the whole " if BB leaves he will stay" why the team will suck real bad real soon of BB leaves 

First, I would assume that if McDaniels agreed to replace Belichick, he would be confident that he could continue to steer the ship.

Second, the non-football aspects, like family, friends, schools, familiarity, etc., probably would have a lot to do with that. 

I could see McDaniels being very interested in the Giants job, even the Lions job, and definitely staying in New England if Belichick leaves. But I don't think Belichick is going to leave, and I don't think anyone in the inner circle thinks he's going to leave. 

1 hour ago, J@son said:

59 minutes ago, J@son said:

My memory of the Shanahan deal last year was that it was not announced by either party but widely speculated / reported that it was a done deal.  Also confirmed by the fact that they stopped interviewing other candidates.

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

My memory of the Shanahan deal last year was that it was not announced by either party but widely speculated / reported that it was a done deal.  Also confirmed by the fact that they stopped interviewing other candidates.

Right, and once they started including Shanahan in the GM search process, it was pretty obvious that he was the guy.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I could see McDaniels being very interested in the Giants job, even the Lions job, and definitely staying in New England if Belichick leaves.

Good observation there Supes. Cornerstone franchise, his boss won 2 rings there as a DC under Parcels, & solid ownership at the top. 

Still, the horseshoe is much more attractive from Josh's vantage point: Our QB has a better upside, Ballard is a darn good GM, & his reputation would skyrocket if Luck's number of completions proliferate next yr & we pop like a 12-4 record hypothetically speaking. 

I wanna know what Josh learned from NE's OL coach DANTE SCARNECCHIA who protects Brady so well. Can he find an adequate duplicate? I always remember when Peyton Manning was 1st talking to GM Bill Polian--Explain to me Bill the quality of my protection upfront? 

I realize that my Benedict Arnold reference regarding Deflate Gate is more artistic license on my part more than anything else, but I gotta say this: It gives McDaniels a rebellious edge that I like. It only works though if he can give his old boss fits in the 4th QTR in December or January. 

It would be fascinating if Josh could go into Foxboro say for the AFC Championship & silence everyone in Gillette Stadium taking Brady down. The NFL is all about compelling storylines of shocking the world right? I know; I know; Don't get ahead of yourself SW1. Back to reality. Don't pop my bubble yet. It's beautiful in here. My vision/dream I mean. LOL!  

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

First, I would assume that if McDaniels agreed to replace Belichick, he would be confident that he could continue to steer the ship.

Second, the non-football aspects, like family, friends, schools, familiarity, etc., probably would have a lot to do with that. 

I could see McDaniels being very interested in the Giants job, even the Lions job, and definitely staying in New England if Belichick leaves. But I don't think Belichick is going to leave, and I don't think anyone in the inner circle thinks he's going to leave. 

I don't see Josh stay either they have no plan at all 

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lions never interviewed him. Just patricia. I think they would rather keep their offense the same. Giants and and maybe the titans seem to be our only competition. Staying to take over the patriots would come down to obviously how long BB wants to stay the HC and that doesnt seem to be any time soon 

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I realize that my Benedict Arnold reference regarding Deflate Gate is more artistic license on my part more than anything else, but I gotta say this: It gives McDaniels a rebellious edge that I like. It only works though if he can give his old boss fits in the 4th QTR in December or January. 

It would be fascinating if Josh could go into Foxboro say for the AFC Championship & silence everyone in Gillette Stadium taking Brady down. The NFL is all about compelling storylines of shocking the world right? I know; I know; Don't get ahead of yourself SW1. Back to reality. Don't pop my bubble yet. It's beautiful in here. My vision/dream I mean. LOL!  

Colts travel to Foxboro in the regular season next year. Errrr this year.  2018