Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack Highlights

CR91

42 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Still don't understand why he only averaged only about 5 carries per game. While an aging  Gore had about 20. Would have like to seen it split  more evenly.

Keep him fresh to be the workhorse is the only thing I can think of which is a real shame because he has a lot of the ability of kamera

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Keep him fresh to be the workhorse is the only thing I can think of which is a real shame because he has a lot of the ability of kamera

I think Mack is more elusive than Kamara too. Not quite the same hands, but very very talented

9 hours ago, twfish said:

93 carries is all he got. Wish we could have seen him tote the rock more this past season

8 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Still don't understand why he only averaged only about 5 carries per game. While an aging  Gore had about 20. Would have like to seen it split  more evenly.

55 minutes ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

Should have been giving more touches. The team was dead set at giving Gore the bulk of the carries!

26 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea typical Pagano style of coaching, if he sayd to himself at the beginning of the season that Frank Gore is getting 80% of the workload, we could have had Jim Brown on our team and Gore would have gotten 80% of the workload.

As a rookie he was not ready to get more carries. There are other aspects of being a RB besides just running.

2 hours ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

Should have been given more touches. The team was dead set at giving Gore the bulk of the carries!

That's all thanks to Mr. pagano and Mr. chud who were playing madden with frank gore while they should have been focused on playing More team ball

1 hour ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

You learn by getting more carries. Even more so when the season is lost! 

A rookie must learn the total play book and also learn how to block. More carries does not automatically make you better at the position.

Depending on the veteran RB (Gore) who was the lead RB is always the best way to go.

Regardless of how the season was going it was the right way to break Mack in.

13 hours ago, twfish said:

93 carries is all he got. Wish we could have seen him tote the rock more this past season

Wow, I didn't know it was that low, yet somehow he amassed a highlight video that large? Now I wish someone would create a highlight video of Trent Richardson's 100,000+ carries we gave.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a rookie he was not ready to get more carries. There are other aspects of being a RB besides just running.

Generally speaking I would agree with this statement, however, knowing how Pagano handles player, we knew that regardless of Mack’s success, Gore was going to be given the opportunity to make records for his career over the success of the team and the growth of the rookies. It’s a great thing to be free of Pagano and his favorite player friendly stance vs hopefully a coach who will see the ability of talent and growth potential of a rookie. Playing a rookie who shows he is capable to grow vs being completely lost and too raw over keeping an aging vet in for purposes of reaching personal goals are two separate things. Mack showed he had growth opportunities while not being too raw to play, yes he had things to work on but they weren’t so large it was a detriment to the team. Gore showed a lot of heart and toughness at his age and I would love to have him again this next year, however, the vet should take the backseat to Mack and get his touches only in certain situations and rest for Mack. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

And some people think he can't be every down back lol just imagine what he can do with a good o line

If we can give any RB a crease consistently, our offense will take off. We had no consistent running lanes opened and too many moving parts to field an oline due to injuries this year (and for the past ....). Is Mack the answer to our RB issues? We don’t have enough data to say yes or no at this point. We know we don’t have the oline to help Adrian Peterson in his prime get 1000 yards right now so a major focus has to be to the interior oline spots and/or scheme. 

16 hours ago, twfish said:

Yeah it amazes me how people on here are not giving Mack a chance here. Guy was a 3 down back in college who could run inside and bounce it outside.

He has one of the worst lines in CFB. If he and Gore would have got the same amount of reps his numbers would be greater than Gores.

I like Gore and appreciate what he has done here but I feel he held Mack back. Just my opinion. 

Yea, I don't know how Gore got so close to 1000 yards this year with this oline and Brisset at qb. Maybe the oline isn't as bad as people think it is, because there was zero threat in the passing game. I think Gore finished 12th in the nfl in rushing this season. That's pretty good for a 34 year old playing with susposedly no line and definitly no qb. It was incredible Gore got to 100 yards sunday and Clark played the whole game!! I do have a question though,why are so many on here down on Haeg. Haeg is a solid, outstanding lineman, he has played lt,lg,rg,andrt in his career with the Colts. This team wouldn't even be functional without Haeg.

59 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Generally speaking I would agree with this statement, however, knowing how Pagano handles player, we knew that regardless of Mack’s success, Gore was going to be given the opportunity to make records for his career over the success of the team and the growth of the rookies. It’s a great thing to be free of Pagano and his favorite player friendly stance vs hopefully a coach who will see the ability of talent and growth potential of a rookie. Playing a rookie who shows he is capable to grow vs being completely lost and too raw over keeping an aging vet in for purposes of reaching personal goals are two separate things. Mack showed he had growth opportunities while not being too raw to play, yes he had things to work on but they weren’t so large it was a detriment to the team. Gore showed a lot of heart and toughness at his age and I would love to have him again this next year, however, the vet should take the backseat to Mack and get his touches only in certain situations and rest for Mack. 

Look, I like Mack a bunch but just because he had one great 1 yard run did not make him an every down back.

The reason he was successful when he did get the ball is his plays were picked with his abilities in mind.

Gore has been the Colts work horse every since he has been here and pointing a finger at Pagano just for finding something else to be negative about is wrong.

For one thing Mack do we really know if Mack has the ability to block at this point? No we don't. Mack had some good runs but he also had some runs he was stuffed in the backfield. I admit a better O-line could have helped that but using Gore was a better option. Gore very rarely lost yardage.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, I like Mack a bunch but just because he had one great 1 yard run did not make him an every down back.

The reason he was successful when he did get the ball is his plays were picked with his abilities in mind.

Gore has been the Colts work horse every since he has been here and pointing a finger at Pagano just for finding something else to be negative about is wrong.

For one thing Mack do we really know if Mack has the ability to block at this point? No we don't. Mack had some good runs but he also had some runs he was stuffed in the backfield. I admit a better O-line could have helped that but using Gore was a better option. Gore very rarely lost yardage.

Well first of all, I haven’t watched games this year past the first home game due to the political aspect injected but based off everything others have said and looking at the highlight video, I’d say Mack was capable of handling the load. Can he effectively pass block is a legit question and only those watching the games can answer it. I’m just saying that based on Pagano’s history, he was going to play Gore over Mack regardless because he has shown he will favor a vet over rookies whether they warrant it or not, he has proven that time and again. Gore is Avery solid player and worthy of giving the benefit too but Mack has a future here where as Gore doesn’t. We should have looked a little bit harder at Mack during the season. 

I appreciate the appreciation for Mack, but let's get real.  Gore had a total of 16 carries per game, and if you cut out the Buffalo game and the last game of the season, he was at 14 carries.  There just wasn't that many carries to spread around because the offense sucked.  93 carries is a LOT for a back up when you're generating a total of 20 carries per game for all RBs, and is certainly enough for an impact player to make an impact.  with those 93 carries, Mack had some nifty runs, but he did not distinguish himself as a runner.  The two games where he had 10 or more carries, he avg. under 2.5 ypc. And, if you take out the SFO game (a clear outlier), he avg. only 3.2 ypc.  That's not a season that screams he needed to play ahead of Gore...and if his numbers are not screaming that, there is a problem.  Look at what Bradshaw did with the same opportunities when he was backing up Gore.  

The problem is not necessarily solely Mack's...I think he is not suited for running between the tackles at this stage of his career and has a lot to learn in that regard.  He's better running off tackle, but the offense signaled that, and every defense seemed to know that, which made it hard to even excel at his strengths.  He needs to become a far  more complete back to have sustained success, IMO.  Then you have to look at pass blocking....

Lol y’all make every excuse for a reason why an Rb Can’t be great..our offensive staff sucks plus they didn’t like giving rookies burn time. 93 carries is not enough especially when they don’t play to your strengths like we always do..gore made things out of nothing because he’s been here before he has ELITE VISION Mack is a ROOKIE let the game slow down for him plus gore had to get a significant amount of carries for his best games only way to compare them is to give them each 20 carries vs the same defense to see if Mack could handle that kind of load