Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brad Kaaya signed off Lions PS.

IrishColt22

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The criticism that I heard constantly about him was that with a clean pocket he's great but as soon as the pocket starts to close in on him or he gets rushed he panics.  

welp he's come to the right team to work out those problems.  He'll definitely get used to not having a clean pocket here!

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Are you seriously asking this?   

Sure Brissett isn't going to win you many games, but if he is needed for 1-3 games, the season can be saved.   He's relatively cheap and he's under contract.  

I bolded the reasons the Colts could do better. The long standing Colts tradition of back up QBs being a place to hang your helmet does not fit todays game. Look at the standings for the playoff teams nd how close their W-L records are. The Pats had Garaffalo while the Colts had Tolzien. Brissett hopefully if they keep him , will work on the areas he needs to work on and yes the OL is no help.

35 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Yes.  Not informed.

Please point out where I said a basket full of picks.  I'll wait.

The basket full of picks is in reference to the first post I replied too. Not you 

20 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

So what is McCarron? A top tier QB?

And McCarron, that trade failed and didn't go thru if I recall right. Therefore, his trade value is really moot. Plus you're talking about a mid season trade vs a post season/FA period. There's a ton of better QBs hitting the market(potentially) 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And McCarron, that trade failed and didn't go thru if I recall right. Therefore, his trade value is really moot. Plus you're talking about a mid season trade vs a post season/FA period. There's a ton of better QBs hitting the market(potentially) 

It didn't fail because the price was wrong though so it's not really moot.

I'm not specifically saying trade him at any time. I'd keep him around. Just trying to figure out what his peak value is whether that be in the post season or any other time.

The potential McCarron trade seems like the most recent comparison to make therefore I can't figure why there would be such a large difference between that and the poster who claimed he's worth nothing more than a 7th.

I think Brissett is better than what people are giving him credit for.  Things like pocket awareness can come with more experience, and an offense that focuses on getting rid of the ball quicker would help too.

I don't think he will ever be elite, and will never command a lot of money on the open market, but being young and with some upside makes me think he is worth more than any QB not currently in the league.

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And probably the end of Tolizen no reason to get Kaaya if they were happy with Luck Brissett and Tolizen.

Tolzien is a free agent, so I'm assuming they won't be re-signing him. I think we all feel that way.

As for Kaaya, I don't think that snagging him now means he'll definitely be on the roster next year. I think he's very much a JAG, but they like something about him and wanted to steal him away while they could. It's a solid move to get your hands on him now, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay on the roster.

28 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

It didn't fail because the price was wrong though so it's not really moot.

I'm not specifically saying trade him at any time. I'd keep him around. Just trying to figure out what his peak value is whether that be in the post season or any other time.

The potential McCarron trade seems like the most recent comparison to make therefore I can't figure why there would be such a large difference between that and the poster who claimed he's worth nothing more than a 7th.

Well. That was me. And I'm not saying he's not worth more, I'm simply saying that as of today, if you were to try and trade him, you're not gonna get much. The QB needy teams are gonna wait and see what happens with the better tier talent available before giving up picks for Brisset

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well. That was me. And I'm not saying he's not worth more, I'm simply saying that as of today, if you were to try and trade him, you're not gonna get much. The QB needy teams are gonna wait and see what happens with the better tier talent available before giving up picks for Brisset

Of course they'll see what they can get for free first of all. That's always the same. We're not in any rush to get rid of him though. By the same token we would never trade him when the potential compensation is at its lowest.

The market for mid tier quarterbacks and even those which are completely unproven makes a 7th seem ludicrously low.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tolzien is a free agent, so I'm assuming they won't be re-signing him. I think we all feel that way.

As for Kaaya, I don't think that snagging him now means he'll definitely be on the roster next year. I think he's very much a JAG, but they like something about him and wanted to steal him away while they could. It's a solid move to get your hands on him now, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay on the roster.

Me either like you said before this is just Ballard getting a jump on futures contracts.  If he turns into something great but if not it doesn’t really cost you anything.

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Of course they'll see what they can get for free first of all. That's always the same. We're not in any rush to get rid of him though. By the same token we would never trade him when the potential compensation is at its lowest.

The market for mid tier quarterbacks and even those which are completely unproven makes a 7th seem ludicrously low.

A 7th might be a slight exaggeration. 

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dipping your toe in the water at this point. IMO Tolzien will not be resigned so getting a QB for camp and maybe more is a positive move.

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

So what is McCarron? A top tier QB?

I think, with players like McCarron, potential plays a bigger factor.   Teams are willing to give more for potential.   Potential wears the more a player plays.   Brissett has seen his potential decline somewhat.  

I think the Colts would be able to get a 5th or 6th round pick from the right team.   

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think, with players like McCarron, potential plays a bigger factor.   Teams are willing to give more for potential.   Potential wears the more a player plays.   Brissett has seen his potential decline somewhat.  

I think the Colts would be able to get a 5th or 6th round pick from the right team.   

But Brissett is two years younger than McCarron and was drafted two rounds higher. 

What potential does AJ have that Brissett doesn't?

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

But Brissett is two years younger than McCarron and was drafted two rounds higher. 

Hue Jackson, who Haslam has recklessly given too much power to, definitely played a factor in that trade.

But...McCarron only has one year of control...Brissett has two years. So Brissett certainly has more value than a 7th round pick. And it only takes one team to really like him and overpay. 

If I had to guess, his floor is a 4th round pick. Teams that are playoff contenders will happily spend a 4th round pick on a 2-3 game insurance policy. 

20 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

McCarron has the unknown.   That is attractive to many GM's.   His 3 starts in 2015 were impressive.   While Brissett is playing on a bad team, his numbers are still not good.   I think his value is a 5th round pick at most right now.  The Colts should and will keep him as their backup.  

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.  He's more valuable to the Colts as the backup.  

Lots of competent QB's on the market in this offseason.   Not counting the draft:

Brees

Cousins

Alex Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Manning

McCarron

Bridgewater

Keenum

Cutler

Gabbert

Fitzpatrick

Matt Moore

OsWeiller

Bortles

Glennon

Tannehill

Bradford

Factoring age into this group...

Brees = 38

Manning = 36

Cutler = 34

Fitzpatrick = 35

Alex Smith = 33

Matt Moore = 33

Bradford = 30

Keenum = 29

Tannehill = 29

Cousins = 29

Tyrod Taylor = 28

Gabbert = 28

Glennon = 28

McCarron = 27

OsWeiller = 27

Bortles = 25

Bridgewater = 25

Brissett = 24

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have no clue as to what the terms of the contract is so I can't speculate on that but if I had a choice as where to live it would be Indy over Detroit. No disrespect aimed at Detroit but Indy is much more laid back.

18 hours ago, csmopar said:

Brissett has little to no trade value. At most, you'd get a 7th. A single 7th. He's more valuable for us holding Lucks clipboard. This isn't Madden. Nobody is gonna give up "picks" for Brissett

With a competent line Brissett is a more than adequate QB. We are judging his performance behind the worst offensive line in the NFL. I’m pretty sure there are GMs out there who wouldn’t mind Brissett behind Center.

13 hours ago, Douzer said:

Factoring age into this group...

Brees = 38

Manning = 36

Cutler = 34

Fitzpatrick = 35

Alex Smith = 33

Matt Moore = 33

Bradford = 30

Keenum = 29

Tannehill = 29

Cousins = 29

Tyrod Taylor = 28

Gabbert = 28

Glennon = 28

McCarron = 27

OsWeiller = 27

Bortles = 25

Bridgewater = 25

Brissett = 24

I'm not sure if this helps Brissett or not.   I think most GM's would prefer to sign a guy in the upper 20's.  

I think Brissett would fall somewhere near the bottom of that list when GM's have a choice.   Most likely above a few for sure. 

Probably above:

Fitzpatrick

Moore

Bradford

Osweiller

Glennon

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Why wouldn't they keep Brissett? Just because Kaaya was signed doesn't mean Brissett is gonna be gone. If anyone is gonna be gone its probably Tolzein and Walker.

Keeping him or getting rid of him is special for the Colts because unlike most if not all other teams, the Colts are not yet certain if their #1 QB will be there in 2018. One year for a QB does not justify the final call so Brissett needs to do a lot of work in the off season and the new head coach will have to deal with that issue.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:52 AM, Myles said:

I agree.  He's more valuable to the Colts as the backup.  

Lots of competent QB's on the market in this offseason.   Not counting the draft:

Brees

Cousins

Alex Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Manning

McCarron

Bridgewater

Keenum

Cutler

Gabbert

Fitzpatrick

Matt Moore

OsWeiller

Bortles

Glennon

Tannehill

Bradford

Well there's an odd grab bags of QB's to say the least!!

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Why wouldn't they keep Brissett? Just because Kaaya was signed doesn't mean Brissett is gonna be gone. If anyone is gonna be gone its probably Tolzein and Walker.

Anyone who thinks the Colts should get rid of Brissett is not thinking clearly.  If we could get a 3rd round pick, yes, but that is not going to happen.   He is a good backup who is under a cheap contract for a couple years.   He's now got experience with the team.   We have an injury prone starter.  

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, ClaytonColt said:

If AJ McCarron is worth a very high 2nd and 3rd round pick then why would Brissett only be worth a 7th? 

I don't think Brissett is massively valuable but we see adequate quarterbacks with upside being overvalued every single season.

I could see somebody give a 4th or a 5th for Brissett he has been decent this year on a horrible team imagine what he could do with a half decent team.