Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Think The Colts Will Pay Pm The $28Mm Option Bonus?

UndecidedFrog

Given the statement from Mr. Irsay:

"We can make it work if he wants to be here, we'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us."

"I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.''

Do you think the Colts will pay PM the $28MM option bonus on March 8?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120215/SPORTS03/202150331/Irsay-We-can-make-work-Manning?odyssey=nav%7Chead

I'm not looking for any trouble.

I am just checking in with how people think.

Isn't that clear from some of the other threads ;)

I can't imagine any situation in which they pay that option.

Even if Peyton were 100%, the Colts aren't going to commit to him for 4 years - not with Andrew Luck on deck.

"We can make it work if he wants to be here, we'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us."

"I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.''

http://www.indystar....ssey=nav%7Chead

No! I don't think they will, I don't think they should, and I don't think PM will expect them to pay the $28MM !

But they won't play him unless they are certain about him. If they are certain about him, what then is he worth? If he's 100%, is he still not the best QB in football? I mean, his salary should reflect that, right? Just 2 months ago, no one was saying it was a bad option. When Irsay inked the thing, he knew Manning's situation was precarious.

The word "uncertainty" is being thrown around an awful lot, and I realize that March 8 is fast approaching (it's my daughter's birthday, after all), but seriously, Irsay will do it if his man can go. He won't if he can't. They will know more than we do.

Nope...I don't think so. I am sure Irsay will mention the 26 million Peyton got paid last year to "observe"....I can't believe they don't have some sort of stipulation on getting out of paying them if they are injured...it just seems crazy to me.

I'm sure Peyton could mention the fact that Irsay paid him despite knowing he was in bad condition. I'm sure Peyton could mention that the stadium which just successfully hosted a Super Bowl wouldn't be there without him. I'm sure Peyton could mention that he hauled this team to 2 Super Bowls without any coaching help, and minimal talent around him. I'm sure Peyton could mention that this team has yet to become the Los Angeles Colts, thanks to him.

You act like he's Bob Sanders or Shawn Alexander: just flat-out stealing money. Irsay wanted to pay him more, despite not knowing what would happen with the surgery. That should put it into perspective. You all talk like you're pretty smart now that the deadline is approaching.

http://www.indystar....ssey=nav%7Chead

no i dont see the 28 million dollar option even being concidered. if manning wants that i can see irsay and manning saying their good byes. but something is telling me that were all going to be in for a big shock....

ESPN - Breaking News: (enter scrolling text here) Peytong Manning after 14 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts has decided to retire.

and then you willl have every sports writer and their grandmothers trying to be the first ones to get an interview with both Manning and Irsay, trying to be the first to cover the story.

sorry but i just dont see it happening, there is no way that irsay is going to give a guy his 28 million dollar option who isnt healthy. and in his interview when the question came up there was alot of ummm's, as in he was trying not to say something that shouldnt be put out in the public until he talks to manning about it. and when he said him and manning in the last week have talked about Tiger Woods that isnt a very good answer onto whats going to happen with Manning. seems like he was stating his case about how their relationship is and that it isnt rocky or anything like that. so unless manning agrees to sign to a contract at like 1 yr 5 million dollars with incentives i dont see manning coming back to the colts.

I'm sure Peyton could mention the fact that Irsay paid him despite knowing he was in bad condition. I'm sure Peyton could mention that the stadium which just successfully hosted a Super Bowl wouldn't be there without him. I'm sure Peyton could mention that he hauled this team to 2 Super Bowls without any coaching help, and minimal talent around him. I'm sure Peyton could mention that this team has yet to become the Los Angeles Colts, thanks to him.

You act like he's Bob Sanders or Shawn Alexander: just flat-out stealing money. Irsay wanted to pay him more, despite not knowing what would happen with the surgery. That should put it into perspective. You all talk like you're pretty smart now that the deadline is approaching.

although the bob sanders comment was funny and accurate lol i still cant stop laughing haha. but i dont claim being smart or know anything thats going on in peytons mind or even irsays mind for that matter.....BUT with that statement, is a pretty good reason to NOT pay him his 28 million dollars. there is no guarentee that manning will get the colts back to playoff contender status himself. he can barely throw a ball now, and chances are he will still be rehabing come time for camp and sorry to say (and not saying i dont agree with anything you have said, cause manning would have a good argument) but sorry to say I feel its better to let him go and when i mean let him go i mean let him go in a manner thats respectful hold a press conference after the colts make the decision and tell manning and his agent their releasing him, let him find another team if he still wants to play so he can try to win another superbowl. because that seems to be the obvious argument most manning worshipers have is he can get another super bowl. sorry but not with the colts, it wont happen not in the next year or two. when elway did it he had a good all around team (i.e. Running game, a defense and special teams) colts have neither one of those. and elway wasnt coming off a season where he did not throw a single pass in a game.

He needs to just agree to a 1 yr deal at around 5 million with incentives and it gives Luck a year to learn under him watch what manning does on game days and what he does to prep each week. he does that then i could see him coming back, but if he wants to keep the big contract its going to happen in one of two ways

1) Irsay will tell him good bye and thanks for all he has done with the team and the city, and say when he retires he will have a statue in front of the stadium of PM and his jersey will be retired the same year he retires. we all know no one else is ever going to wear number 18 again in indy thats a given.

or

2) Irsay gives him the big contract and the team in the long run is hurt by salary cap issues the next 4 years because in 2013 manning will start earning 18 million a season.

but thats just my opinion

I don't think this is about the money.

It's more about the cap hit and what it will do to the ability for this team to rebuild and get back to the Superbowl. I think Peyton needs to be cut and then if he wants to wear the horse shoe again he should enter into new negotiations on a play/incentive based contract. If he doesn't he should sign with a team that he thinks will take him given the current uncertainty on his health

The Colts can't move forward on hope that Manning will be healthy enough to start the 2012 season. They have to make the best decisions for the franchise. Right now that includes drafting a quarterback and rebuilding the team in the areas that need it the most...like our defense.

Irsay knew Manning could have potential complications down the road, you know that right? That is why Condon and Manning included the escape clause. It was a safety net in case something happened to Manning and it looks like it was a very good move.

at the end of the day its business and players come and go looks like peyton will be goin i think peyton did so muc but aint that why they paid him so muc aint that why he got drafted 1st cause you draft him finking he will do all this so at the end of the day he did his job but its time to move on like everyone else does in the nfl

0% chance

If it was even possible for the percentage to be lower than 0%, thats what it would be.

Irsay isn't even going to offer Peyton a reasonable contract because he knows Manning more than likely will not except such a low contract from the Colts. It makes absolutely ZERO sense to keep Manning onboard at this point and Irsay is smart enough to know that.

But they won't play him unless they are certain about him. If they are certain about him, what then is he worth? If he's 100%, is he still not the best QB in football? I mean, his salary should reflect that, right? Just 2 months ago, no one was saying it was a bad option. When Irsay inked the thing, he knew Manning's situation was precarious.

The word "uncertainty" is being thrown around an awful lot, and I realize that March 8 is fast approaching (it's my daughter's birthday, after all), but seriously, Irsay will do it if his man can go. He won't if he can't. They will know more than we do.

I'm not sure if you answered my question. Was that a yes or a no?

No bonus, he was paid enough last year so he doesn't have to balance his check book just yet.

Restructure contract loading it with incentives, he's never been greedy and would appeal to his ego.

And it lets him play his final years where it all began so when he does leave....management is smiling, players are smiling, the NFL is smiling, money is made everywhere and Indianapolis has the opportunity to send it's favorite son on the road to retirement in style and riding into the sunset in a blaze of glory.

Everybody wins.

Irsay said he will not pay the 28 million

Irsay said he does not believe Manning has ever intended to force the issue of the $28 million option bonus being paid before he has proven he'll be healthy enough to play next season. By picking up the option bonus, the Colts would be committing more than $35 million in compensation to Manning this year, including his $7.4 million base salary. That after the Colts paid him about $26 million in 2011, with him missing the entire season.

"That's the last he'd want to do for this team, put us in that kind of salary cap situation,'' Irsay said. "He wants to come back and he wants to win. I should say I assume he wants to come back. With Peyton, sometimes you never know. But that's why we're going to have a meeting in a few days. I think he has some real comfort in the idea of finishing his career here, but I think he's conflicted perhaps given the circumstances. We'll find out soon.''

http://sportsillustr...ract/index.html