Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB's are bad

akcolt

On 10/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Everyone sees the ILB's are horrible in coverage except for the coaches. 

They also keep dropping Sheard into coverage too. 

Completely asinine. 

That’s cause we’re so much smarter than them. :sarcasm:

I could already see this coming with the way Bostic played in the preseason and how we lost Edwin Jackson. Can't say that Freeman would have helped or not given the fact he was on PEDs and still cannot stay healthy. However, there needed to be more of an effort to get more talent at ILB.

Again I don't get what Bostic showed in practice to get this much trust with the staff... but we've heard that plenty of times before.

On 10/9/2017 at 4:44 AM, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

George looks like a bad man wearing that #59

Give him the start.. can't get any worse.

Bostic stinks.

We gave him the start vs Arizona and he responded with the best PFF grade on the team  that Sunday 85.2 and easily the best of any ILB this season. The guy should see more time he makes plays. I'm not saying to start him although I wouldn't think twice about it. He brings the speed and athleticism the D is missing inside.  He clearly deserves more snaps. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-arizona-cardinals-16-indianapolis-colts-13

http://cover32.com/2017/09/21/is-jeremiah-george-the-future-at-linebacker-for-the-colts/

17 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I could already see this coming with the way Bostic played in the preseason and how we lost Edwin Jackson. Can't say that Freeman would have helped or not given the fact he was on PEDs and still cannot stay healthy. However, there needed to be more of an effort to get more talent at ILB.

Again I don't get what Bostic showed in practice to get this much trust with the staff... but we've heard that plenty of times before.

Bostic fits the mold for ILB that the staff is looking for. They want a DQ type of LB -- a tackling, run stuffing LB, while we as fans want an ILB that can tackle, stuff the run, and cover. Those guys are hard to find.

It seems that the priority for the coaching staff is stuffing the run first, and then it's a plus if they can cover. Unfortunately, they can't.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Navarro Bowman is on the block but I'm not sure what he's got left in the tank.

He's only 29 but just got that massive contract.  The money side will keep him away from Indy.  I bet teams approach them but SF might want something crazy.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think the Niners will get a whole lot for him.   He's had some significant injuries including an Achilles tear.

That's true.  I remember that knee injury at the end of the year.  Sad to see!  I think he might have a little left but I personally would not want that salary.

25 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

But spend it and lose draft picks?

image.png.c7ab8c2699f98366933a3142f15041c5.png

It's a lot of money and a big cap hit.  I can't believe there are a lot of teams with cap space where he would make sense for them.  Maybe he wouldn't be that costly to acquire?   I think a late round pick would be worth the gamble.  Most late round picks don't work out and he is a great player when healthy and not that old.  He seems like a player Ballard would consider. 

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

9ers released him. He'd be the best LB on the squad, in my estimation. 

I dunno about the cash and there's always reasons not to bring guys in..

I would bring him in and check him out. It looks like no one was going to trade for that contract.   He won't be out there long.  

Bowman will pick his next spot and take vet minimum (contract offset language, and he's not getting more than the $6.75m the Niners owe him, so this won't be about money). 

EDIT: I was wrong about his contract, evidently his contract had no offset language, so he can double dip. Vet minimum is probably off the table.

I'm not sure he's still any good. 

Edited by Superman

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bowman will pick his next spot and take vet minimum (contract offset language, and he's not getting more than the $6.75m the Niners owe him, so this won't be about money). 

I'm not sure he's still any good. 

I think he was their leading tackler in our game and he didn't play that much.  He could be there leading tackler before they released him.  Need to check him out. 

On 10/8/2017 at 10:43 PM, akcolt said:

We have the worst group of ILB''s in the league. Today PFF rated Bostic 37.4 and Morrison 39.6. These guys can not cover giving up 10 catches for 85 yards and the td between them. The D is always going to be held back by our inability to cover and lack of speed to play sidelineto sideline inside. Then our DC doesn't help much with some of his coverages.  We need changes at ILB. 

George got one start vs Arizona and rated at 86.7. That was the best rating of any Colt in that game and easily the best of any ILB this season. He should see the field.. TJ Green could be used in a hybrid backer type role. There's no way we could be any worse than what we have now.. If he cleans up his tackling he could give us something there.  We should sign Hodges right now. Gerald Hodges could not help this team? Ballard? I just realized he was available. I don't know why we don't bring him in. He had a good year last season in SF's 3-4, 

What about if Geathers comes back this season should we use him?