Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lucas Oil Stadium

DaveA1102

Living outside the US, one item near the top of my bucket list is a trip to Lucas Oil Stadium for a game (and to experience Indy) but, out of curiosity, what do people on the forum think of the stadium in context with other stadiums within the league (excluding the Rams' current venue!) haha 

Obviously its difficult to look at this from an objective point of view as Colts fans but is LOS considered a top quality stadium?

With the new stadiums from the Vikings and Falcons looking incredible, how would LOS hold up against these new structures?

:colts:

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Living outside the US, one item near the top of my bucket list is a trip to Lucas Oil Stadium for a game (and to experience Indy) but, out of curiosity, what do people on the forum think of the stadium in context with other stadiums within the league (excluding the Rams' current venue!) haha 

Obviously its difficult to look at this from an objective point of view as Colts fans but is LOS considered a top quality stadium?

With the new stadiums from the Vikings and Falcons looking incredible, how would LOS hold up against these new structures?

Where are you from? I've been to Lucas Oil Stadium many times. It's a wonderful place and is very nice and clean. There's no better feeling walking up to that giant building with thousands of fans. You feel the energy of the city all around you. Indianapolis is a great place, definitely a more "homey" small town feel, rather than some of the huge cities in other states. The new Vikings and Falcon's stadiums are pretty sweet looking. Never been there but from seeing it on TV and pictures, it look's very modern and unique. Lucas Oil Stadium isn't super modern but still appears and feels brand new. Better than the RCA Dome. Except for maybe the crowd noise :)

I'm from Canada and I'm a die hard Indianapolis Colts fan. I've been to Lucas Oil 4 times. Love the stadium and absolutely love the city. From the second you arrive you can just feel the energy and love for the colts all over the city and the State. I'm coming back to Indy for the Oct 22 game vs the Jags. Hope this helps! GO COLTS GO!!!

20 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

You should make a trip sometime if possible!  It's an awesome place to watch a game.  Awesome atmosphere, obviously tons of tailgating and tons of Colts fans!  Lucas Oil Stadium can hold it's own against any stadium in the NFL in my opinion.  I've been to 9 games there and love it.  I've been to tons of NBA stadiums and those games are a lot of fun too, but nothing compared to a football game at Lucas Oil.  The city is extremely nice too!  Just my opinion though!

I liked Lucas better than the Vike’s new stadium.  The Vikes one was a pleasure with a nice open airy feel, but to get to the section I was in was awkward and isolated. (They were excellent lower level sideline seats once seated, though).

I think my favorite stadium so far, though, is Arizona’s.  For the actual game day experience, though, Green Bay is still my number one!

Dolphins stadium had had really good food, but the stadium itself was meh,  they just spent a bundle renovating it, though, so maybe it’s better now. 

Tampa Bay was really good, but the tail gating kind of sucked.  

Oakland is a scary place if you’re not cheering for the Home team. 

Nashville (Titans) was nice, but it was at least a third empty (3 years ago) which shocked me.  Tailgating was rather lame there, as well. 

San Diego was the worst pro stadium I’ve ever been to.  Too bad they couldn’t come to a new stadium agreement to keep the Chargers. 

I am going to Arrowhead for the first time this coming Monday night.  I have high hopes for it!

35 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

This is an unbiased opinion or as close as you are likely to find. Here is an article from 9/12/2017 and ranks all the NFL stadiums. You will find Lucas Oil ranked 8th. If you are a Colts fan you it will be tough to find a better time than the Colts winning at Lucas Oil with the roof open and the window down.  

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-nfl-stadiums-football-ranked

28 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Going to Lucas Oil to watch the Colts play is also on my bucket list.  Hopefully during a playoff or Super Bowl :rock:

Been only once, as it's a long way from London, but one of the best weekends of my life. Obviously the stadium and seeing the team was great (beat the Seahawks in 2013), but the city and the people were the ultimate highlight. Can't wait to get back some day. Of course, I was 'merry' the whole visit, which helped.......!

I could not recommend it enough. 

I go up for two games a year, the Stadium and downtown Indy are both great places.  The older I get, the more I appreciate being out of the elements and just enjoying the game.

When I was younger I enjoyed going to Buckeye games, as well as the Browns and Steeler games, and sitting in a snow storm.  Definitely no more.  That was then, as they say!

3 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Been only once, as it's a long way from London, but one of the best weekends of my life. Obviously the stadium and seeing the team was great (beat the Seahawks in 2013), but the city and the people were the ultimate highlight. Can't wait to get back some day. Of course, I was 'merry' the whole visit, which helped.......!

If I ever make it to a London game, I'll ping you on advice as to where to get merry.  (No jokes like "...and her sister too" please)

I love LOS. The architecture is fantastic, and the feel is vibrant. It's definitely a happenin' place. It's a huge upgrade from RCA, which of course held many amazing memories. 

When comparing it to other stadiums, I'll say this: Just down the road on I-74, stands one of the worst stadiums in existence, Paul Brown Stadium. Outdated, depressing, and not comfortable. It's honestly a disgrace to Paul Brown's name in my opinion. Lucas Oil is everything opposite of the home of the Bengals. 

Thank the lord Cincinnati didn't screw up with Great American Ball Park!

I love Lucas Oil Stadium.   I personally think it is at the top of the list as far as Sports venues.   I have been to several stadiums and ballparks in my life, and LOS is by far my favorite.   

And I'm not saying that just because I am a Colts fan.    

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

If you get a chance I would jump on it.  Lucas Oil is a great place to watch a game.  Almost all of the seats give you a good view of the game.  Level 400 and down are I would call excellent views of the game.  Indy itself is more appealing to me than some of the other larger cities.  It is much easier to navigate and you can actually just walk to places after you park, such as to eat.  

Another huge positive is you can exit right off of I-70 and its simple to find a place to park and walk to the game.  Other stadiums you have to navigate 4-6 lanes of traffic, In Indy it is a not near a pain, especially if you show up a little early.  I would most definitely recommend going if you can! 

I can only compare it to the RCA dome. But in terms of that it has better viewpoints. And obviously it's bigger. 

But when it comes to atmosphere it really doesn't come close to the dome. 

I know LOS is considered the house that Peyton built, but dang the best football I've ever seen was in the dome. Good times and I'll always cherish them. 

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I am sold! haha

I live in Scotland so a trip would set me back a few grand but I have only ever heard really good things about Indy as a place, with its town feel in a built up city, so may need to do it for a big birthday! Would be a fair trek!

The only other problem is I am the only one in my entire family and group of friends who enjoy the sport so might need to wait til my 3 year old son grows up a bit and I can get him trained as a colts fan! :thmup:

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Was at the Wembley game last year which was great but so many fans with different teams colours on and so would be a much better experience being surrounded by other colts fans.......also didn't help we got beat off the jags. :thmdown: