Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good, bad and ugly of the game

jbaron04

40 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

The good- Brissett. Lead the team to their only touchdown. Good awareness

Mack- fumbled, but scored and showed shiftiness

The bad- Adam. Missed 4 points today. 

The Ugly- Scott Tolzein. Needs to be unemployed after that disaster.

If Ballard is true to his word and holds each man accountable, Tolzein will be told when he returns to Indy that his contract has been voided. He isn't even a prospect of a QB in this league and provides no upside at all. Just move on from Scott and see what Brissett brings to the table. I am not sold the COlts coaches will get hi into the winning positions either. The play calling and formations are god ugly. Chud needs removed as well, his play calling is situationally terrible. Need 3 yards, we take  5-7 step drop looking for the 15 yard play when the oline hasn't been able to hold for those patterns most of the time. Just 3 steps and fire. 

There were some decent things but rarely do you see a game that takes away so much from those things.

Good, or more accurately "decent": Brissett considering how recently he got here. Run defense was okay. Run blocking was okay. Gore looked pretty good.

Bad: Pass blocking. Kicking crew, that's something that should get better though.

Ugly: Coaching. Pass defense. Tolzien obviously.

27 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's his staff and he is ultimately responsible.

Agree. . all he needed to do was wait a few seconds for his people to see what we all were shown via replay. but he tried to be cute and run a quick play thinking he'd catch the Rams. This was a terrible head coaching decision. 

Good: run defense, safeties, young - promising corners and Tolzien had a decent pocket (lacking pocket awareness on his end), Marlon Mack, Bostic, Jacoby Brissett. 

BAD: coaching, game plan, pass defense, Tolzien led offense, Tolzien, Tolzien and Tolzien 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Agree. . all he needed to do was wait a few seconds for his people to see what we all were shown via replay. but he tried to be cute and run a quick play thinking he'd catch the Rams. This was a terrible head coaching decision. 

I mean, he had to know the play was close. Youd have to think he would ask the guys in the booth what they saw. His failure to do that was a pivotal mistake. Might not have affected the oitcome, but still.

32 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

hooker was okay didn't get beat from what i saw also played a lot of special teams which kinda confused me but whatever... mack played pretty good up until the fumble the mack and gore combo could be special and as for wilson didn't really get tick until the fourth played decent wish he came in for melvin earlier when rams wrs were doing whatever they wanted

i didn't get to see the game...so honest question:  how is it that Mack looked good when he was 9 carries for 0 yards without that one 24 yard run.  

54 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The td challenge is on the coaches in the booth.   Pagano didn't have a vantage point on macks feet.  Not that it would have mattered

On a play like that a competent coach would wait and give his video coaches a chance to tell him something if he couldn't see it himself. I had to listen to the game on sirius which had the Rams radio guys. They were immediately saying it was a TD and should be challenged. 

30 minutes ago, Smitto said:

Margus Hunt possibly over Sheard? His pressure and sack seemed like a really good solo effort. I was high on Sheard but the guy has no moves. 

They play different positions. Sheard is a rush linebacker and Hunt plays on the defensive line. if Sheard continues to be unproductive we would need to see more of Bashum and Mingo at that spot.

3 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

On a play like that a competent coach would wait and give his video coaches a chance to tell him something if he couldn't see it himself. I had to listen to the game on sirius which had the Rams radio guys. They were immediately saying it was a TD and should be challenged. 

It doesn't mean it would have been overturned.   Did you see the challenge on the cousins fumble? 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't mean it would have been overturned.   Did you see the challenge on the cousins fumble? 

It would have been overturned. There was more than enough evidence. You can't defend Pagano on this one. Even if the refs stupidly confirmed it, it still would have been a smart challenge. The decision not to challenge was just plain dumb.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

It would have been overturned. There was more than enough evidence. You can't defend Pagano on this one. Even if the refs stupidly confirmed it, it still would have been a smart challenge. The decision not to challenge was just plain dumb.

Ok,   thanks

9 minutes ago, A8bil said:

i didn't get to see the game...so honest question:  how is it that Mack looked good when he was 9 carries for 0 yards without that one 24 yard run.  

very fair question that's is accurate stat but it was more of flashes than "pretty good" like i said earlier but but excluding the main thing i thought was pretty good i guess doesn't make it pretty good anymore

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You are right there is no guarantee it would have been overturned. But there never is with any challenge. This was a momentum changing point in the game. You HAVE to challenge this one and take your chances....and in this case I feel pretty sure it would have been a TD.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I did see a few flashes from the o line in the very beginning of the game I think it can work they just need more time together...keep mewhort at right guard and good at right tackle

Denzelle is not that bad on the edge. Better than when hes used as a guard

6 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

They play different positions. Sheard is a rush linebacker and Hunt plays on the defensive line. if Sheard continues to be unproductive we would need to see more of Bashum and Mingo at that spot.

Aw yea forgot this isn't a 4-3 anymore.. Bashum did have better pff stats than Sheard for whatever that's worth. 

15 hours ago, krunk said:

I didnt really like when we went for it on that 4th down play. Just gave them another short field. Thought we should have punted and pinned them deep.

I don't have a problem with the 4th down play, in that no man's land where a punt has a good possibility to net 20 yards and too far for a FG.

This was the first time in a long time where I thought the Colts came out with a pretty good gameplan, they forced LA into a long FG on their first drive, then after the pick 6 they marched down the field and got a TD that ended up being a FG.  But after that, the O did not adjust at all (Rams focused on taking away Doyle and that took away Tolzien's passing game).

Tolzien was bad and if he plays again they (The Colts) need to game plan so he does not throw to the left.  If he throws straight or to the right he was fine, but if he had to throw to the left he was horrid.  Almost like he's blind in his left eye or something.