Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will Luck be taken off PUP?

SilentHill

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Superman said:

People are turning this into a huge conspiracy. He had surgery on his throwing shoulder after playing 20 games with the shoulder at less than 100%. He's rehabbing and recovering. I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp. 

You know why it's a conspiracy theory?

The FO flat out lied to us last season when they said luck was fine all season until his surgery in the off season.

2 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

The FO flat out lied to us last season when they said luck was fine all season until his surgery in the off season.

You mean when he was on the injury report literally all season, only practicing part time? 

Goodness. You aren't entitled to every piece of information about Luck's injury, every step of the way. They managed his shoulder until he decided to have surgery. None of that has any bearing on when he'll be ready to play this year. 

Just now, Superman said:

You mean when he was on the injury report literally all season, only practicing part time? 

Goodness. You aren't entitled to every piece of information about Luck's injury, every step of the way. They managed his shoulder until he decided to have surgery. None of that has any bearing on when he'll be ready to play this year. 

Luck is on the injury report.

Pagano: He's not hurt he's better than ever, this is just precautionary.

4 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Dear God...

He was on the injury report basically all season.  He sat out practices throughout the year.  Where is the lie?

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

What are you talking about?

http://fox59.com/2016/09/09/chuck-pagano-says-andrew-luck-is-fine/

“The sky’s falling, Chicken Little, oh my God . . . The kid’s fine. Let the kid go. Leave him alone. Let him play. I don’t know why we even talk about it.’’

https://www.thescore.com/news/1115941

"

Irsay: No serious issues with Luck's shoulder

"

Need I go on?

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

http://fox59.com/2016/09/09/chuck-pagano-says-andrew-luck-is-fine/

“The sky’s falling, Chicken Little, oh my God . . . The kid’s fine. Let the kid go. Leave him alone. Let him play. I don’t know why we even talk about it.’’

https://www.thescore.com/news/1115941

"

Irsay: No serious issues with Luck's shoulder

"

Need I go on?

You mean a year ago, when the plan was to manage his shoulder without surgery? When he was on the injury report all year, missed several practices, but zero games due to the shoulder? I'm still looking for the lie...

Good heavens. Things change in a year. 

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

You mean a year ago, when the plan was to manage his shoulder without surgery? When he was on the injury report all year, missed several practices, but zero games due to the shoulder? I'm still looking for the lie...

Good heavens. Things change in a year. 

Hindsight is 20/20 this "plan to manage without surgery" only came out after the season.

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

Luck is on the injury report.

Pagano: He's not hurt he's better than ever, this is just precautionary.

Give the guy a break!  He hurt it in a TN game, and decided to go through minimal invasive therapy/rehab for the following year.  He mentioned he made great progress, then one awkward hit in a Game would reset all of his gains, and even made him worse at other times.  After a full year of yo-yo -ing, he decided open surgical repair and a long, grueling recovery/rehab process was the better answer.  But do not blame Chuck for Andrew having good days and then a bad day during the season.  They were not lying... it happened that way, many times.

Tannehill  tried it with his knee.  He hurt it last December.  Tried minimally invasive rehab and got through OTA's and mini-camp fine.  Then springs his ACL in training camp.  Can't get mad at anyone saying how well Ryan seemed to be doing, until, the ACL let go.  Now Tannehill had to come to grips that surgical repair and long, grueling recovery/rehab was on his docket- and hopefully ready by next pre-season.

Stuff happens. Chuck and Ballard won't have full transparency because they can't.  and when/if they try, it will have the potential to backfire and generate more ire.  They can't win unless they're general, somewhat vague, and non-committal .... IOW truthful.  I know it's not want fans want, but what fans want general cant be had..

48 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Hindsight is 20/20 this "plan to manage without surgery" only came out after the season.

Luck, and the Colts do not have to reveal the nature of the medical procedures they will take to address medical issues. Luck revealed that on his own, and never had to.

Reminds me of a saying...  Minor surgery... it surgery to everyone else... but me.  then it's Major surgery...

55 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Just because they didn't tell you the specifics of the plan doesn't mean they lied to you. Again, everyone is entitled to ask whatever questions they want, that doesn't mean you're entitled to the answer to those questions. If I decline to answer, that doesn't make me a liar.

This is absurd.

Luck decided to have surgery in January. They intended for him to be ready by the start of the season. It might be a little longer than that. It's not a conspiracy. It's just the way injury recovery works. Pretending that this is a finite matter with a predetermined conclusion that the team is willingly being misleading about is ridiculous.

Stop buying into the sensationalism from the media. Luck isn't ready yet. When he is, he'll practice and play. There's nothing anybody can do about it in the meantime. No words will help him get ready sooner. Just buckle in and wait. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just because they didn't tell you the specifics of the plan doesn't mean they lied to you. Again, everyone is entitled to ask whatever questions they want, that doesn't mean you're entitled to the answer to those questions. If I decline to answer, that doesn't make me a liar.

This is absurd.

Luck decided to have surgery in January. They intended for him to be ready by the start of the season. It might be a little longer than that. It's not a conspiracy. It's just the way injury recovery works. Pretending that this is a finite matter with a predetermined conclusion that the team is willingly being misleading about is ridiculous.

Stop buying into the sensationalism from the media. Luck isn't ready yet. When he is, he'll practice and play. There's nothing anybody can do about it in the meantime. No words will help him get ready sooner. Just buckle in and wait. 

Why are you ignoring the fact that they all said he was "fine"? Obviously he was not fine.

Well, I can say this.  My father (a doctor in Indy) told me back when Luck first had his surgery, that he thought Luck was done for.  Labrum surgeries don't always pan out, he told me.  So far, he has been correct.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Luck, if not completely done for, comes back a shell of his former self.

4 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Well, I can say this.  My father (a doctor in Indy) told me back when Luck first had his surgery, that he thought Luck was done for.  Labrum surgeries don't always pan out, he told me.  So far, he has been correct.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Luck, if not completely done for, comes back a shell of his former self.

I've steeled myself that this is something that is possible, I wouldn't put odds on it, but I don't think it's likely.

He played through it before repairing it. Generally pro athletes get the best treatment and doctors so, I don't see it going backwards, unless it got infected or something..

Here's really my question.. What has your pop's been right about? 

His not being totally ready to go (I don't know what we do and don't know.. no one knows..) isn't indicative of anything..

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've steeled myself that this is something that is possible, I wouldn't put odds on it, but I don't think it's likely.

He played through it before repairing it. Generally pro athletes get the best treatment and doctors so, I don't see it going backwards, unless it got infected or something..

Here's really my question.. What has your pop's been right about? 

His not being totally ready to go (I don't know what we do and don't know.. no one knows..) isn't indicative of anything..

Has anything we have been told by the Colts given you a warm and fuzzy feeling that all is well?  That should be enough.

I don't know Lucks status, none of us do.  However, I've been on this Earth 48 years now, and I sure as heck know when I am being lied to.

3 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Has anything we have been told by the Colts given you a warm and fuzzy feeling that all is well?  That should be enough.

So because the franchise is acting basically just like Bill Belichick (whom is the best, right?) about this, that means Luck is done. 

Got it.

I mean, if we're going to do this, let's come at it with some "here's what a dude who knows a guy" says rumors. Those are fun, if useless. 

Any surgery might not work, but we've got 0 indications that this is anything other than him healing and recovering. Beyond that it's literally all speculation. Sure the team's prior actions gives us reason to have questions, but to say that somehow that means his done is a total stretch. 

I think Holders tweet from earlier needs to mulled over by some of us..

His teammates don't know squat, because Luck isn't talking to them.. 

It's a closed circle of people who know whats up. If that's stressing you out, it is me too, but again, it's a stretch to say that means he's done- as none of us are dealing in facts beyond he's not practicing yet.

11 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

What 

What do you mean how, have you been following the situation?

Closely. And there's NOTHING indicating Luck is done.

That's before we talk about multiple QBs who have come back from labrum operations on their throwing shoulder to continue playing, many at a high level. The list is headlined by Drew Brees, the guy with 11 consecutive 4,000 yard seasons and counting (an NFL record), post labrum surgery. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Those are fun, if useless. 

My sister's brother-in-law Clete bowls with a guy who fixes all the copiers in Lucas.  According to Clete, his bowling pal repaired a major paper jam in a copier personally used by the top brass.  He couldn't give specifics, due to client-repair guy ethics, but he's not optimistic about Luck.  Whatever he saw must have been very upsetting.  This guy has a 225 average, but on the day he saw the jammed docs, he bowled 167.

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

I have heard this too and I have heard this is why they waited to have the surgery until it was completely necessary.  

But at the end of the day this is all hearsay.  

IMO his situation is worse than most people (especially here) think.

That's fine guys, you can believe what you want.  I am very familiar with some of you on this forum living with rose colored glasses, which is great, more power to you.  We'll see what happens, hopefully I won't have to issue an "I told you so".  

Hey, on the bright side, maybe Stephen Morris will be the next Tom Brady!  (assuming Pags ever decides to play him)

Wow!  So we have folks saying Ballard promised them Luck would not be on the Active/PUP by september 2 to Luck might never QB in the NFL ever again?  0_o !! And yet Ballard tried to get a vet QB  but didn't because the price was too high??  !!  {SMH}

Superman has mentioned Drew Brees Labrum repair, and his remarkable recovery.

'Dr. Andrews has talked about Brees' 2006 shoulder repair as one of the most unique in his career. He reportedly used 12 anchors, which was the most he had ever used at the time, to repair a complete 360-degree tear of Brees' labrum. In addition, Andrews reportedly repaired at least a partial tear in the rotator cuff as well.'

'Brees said in some ways it was the best thing to happen to him because he learned how to strengthen the shoulder more than he ever had before the injury.'

"When I dislocated my shoulder back in 2005 and rehabbed it throughout 2006, I was told right then by Dr. Andrews, ‘You're always gonna have to stay on top of this shoulder. You're always gonna have to do a little bit extra just to keep it at the level you want to keep it at,'" said Brees, who explained that "I started doing things I had never done before" as far as maintenance.

"I felt my shoulder was stronger than it ever had been before after that rehab process," Brees said. "And I just stayed on a lot of those things. And those are things that I continue to fine-tune, continue to add to, maybe tweak a little bit each and every offseason."

He has also worked for years with highly regarded throwing coach Tom House.

These are the type things Andrew will likely have to pursue as well.  

I've always known this to be a 6-9 month process for Luck.  I also know there was a study done in 2011 by the American Journal of Sports Medicine looked at return to play for overhead athletes (not just football and baseball players) after SLAP repair surgery showed roughly 84% felt back to pre inury level of function by an average of 11.7 months post surgery.  That doesn't mean atletes don't restart their sports career that long, just that improvement is an ongoing thing for a time after they get cleared to play.

Those who know about these injuries and other who had them, aren't floored by things as they stand so far.  People I know in the medical field tend to be 'realistically optimistic'.  They want to look at glasses as 1/2 full, but know sometimes it takes longer than 'hoped'

Luck has 2 things to deal with once cleared.  The first is his trust in his own shoulder being as good or better than before the surgery.  This takes reps, both practice and real game reps to develop that.

The other is development of timing and rapport with receivers, and getting in game shape. Also takes reps.

Dr. David Chao feels it will take Luck up to 1 month once cleared to achieve these things above (and possibly other items) and be 'game ready'. Here he explains why Cam Newton will be ready much before Luck, even though Luck had his surgery much sooner the Cam, and why Flacco will be on the field before Luck, even though Luck started throwing before Joe-

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/94424347-132.html

But I feel many here won't believe Drew Brees story, the Sport Medicine Journal's studies, or Dr Chao's 17 years as Head Physician of the San Diego Chargers insights.

4 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

What ?

14 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I have heard this too and I have heard this is why they waited to have the surgery until it was completely necessary.  

But at the end of the day this is all hearsay.  

IMO his situation is worse than most people (especially here) think.

Makes perfect sense , that's why they went out to get a proven QB to take his place lol

15 hours ago, Superman said:

He played the entire season without missing a game due to the shoulder. You're ignoring context. 

Why is his ability to play through what was a major injury context? He was not fine, just because he toughed it out doesn't change that.

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well he did have his best season last year.....

Not to mention the team isn't going to say our QB is less than 100%.  That's telling other teams to go after him.

Some fans need to get over the idea NFL teams are going to be honest about injuries.  They aren't.  They are going do whatever they think will help them win a game and if they think they can get the smallest of advantages from lying about an injury they are going to do it and not blink an eye.  There is no conspiracy theory in this.  They aren't trying to get one over on the fans, in reality they don't care about the fans when it comes to injuries, they are trying to bluff another team.  

Sorry I know you didn't say anything like that I was just responding to your point with my first sentence and then the over thought of the thread.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention the team isn't going to say our QB is less than 100%.  That's telling other teams to go after him.

Some fans need to get over the idea NFL teams are going to be honest about injuries.  They aren't.  They are going do whatever they think will help them win a game and if they think they can get the smallest of advantages from lying about an injury they are going to do it and not blink an eye.  There is no conspiracy theory in this.  They aren't trying to get one over on the fans, in reality they don't care about the fans when it comes to injuries, they are trying to bluff another team.  

Sorry I know you didn't say anything like that I was just responding to your point with my first sentence and then the over thought of the thread.

you're fine, I completely agree.