Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will Luck be taken off PUP?

SilentHill

On 8/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, sfergson727 said:

Well, I can say this.  My father (a doctor in Indy) told me back when Luck first had his surgery, that he thought Luck was done for.  Labrum surgeries don't always pan out, he told me.  So far, he has been correct.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Luck, if not completely done for, comes back a shell of his former self.

Looks like my father is a lot more on track than most.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

because Luck got sore after throwing the ball deep for the first time in how many months?  yeah, clearly that means he's done.  I mean, that shouldn't have been expected, right?  He shouldn't have experienced any soreness whatsoever even though that was his first time throwing the ball 40+ yards in practice since sometime late in 2016.  Your father's clairvoyance is uncanny.

6 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

https://www.drdavidgeier.com/shoulder-surgery-nfl-players/

Looks like your father likes to bet against the odds...

Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Bryce Petty, others etc... say it is possible to return at more than a shell of their former self...

4 hours ago, J@son said:

because Luck got sore after throwing the ball deep for the first time in how many months?  yeah, clearly that means he's done.  I mean, that shouldn't have been expected, right?  He shouldn't have experienced any soreness whatsoever even though that was his first time throwing the ball 40+ yards in practice since sometime late in 2016.  Your father's clairvoyance is uncanny.

Yeah, his 50 years as a physician has really let him down in life....all that success, and his love for treating people must have went to his head.

The fact remains, he was spot on.  Irsay....not so much.

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

Yeah, his 50 years as a physician has really let him down in life....all that success, and his love for treating people must have went to his head.

I congratulate him on his good work. 

But the game is not over... yet.  Like the Colts he might be leading, but the second half already has begun.

Study has been done as I posted above.  Takeaways-

" A study presented recently at the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine’s Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington examined the success of these shoulder stabilization surgeries among NFL players."

" Shoulder instability is a difficult problem for an athlete who plays a contact or collision sport. "

" 90% of the players (54 of the 60) successfully returned to play in a regular season NFL game after shoulder stabilization. Among the players who did return to play, the average time between surgery and the first game played was 8.6 months. None of the 60 athletes returned to play in the same season in which he underwent surgery. Most of the athletes who had surgery in the offseason returned in time to play at the start of the following season.

" This study shows that it is possible for a top athlete to return to play at a high level after major shoulder surgery. "

So Andrew luck develops some pain and inflammation ramping up his throwing activity and needs to rest and get a shot?  Unfortunate and delays his progress back but it is not yet indicative of a career ender by any means.

And who listens to an owner on medical advice? Especially that given right after surgery? Proclaiming success right after surgery (or a return to work date) is like proclaiming your first round draft pick a success the evening he was drafted. 

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-andrew-luck-shoulder-cortisone-shot-1018-story.html

Look will Luck be back?  I would like to think everyone here hopes he will.  I don’t get why anyone would want him to not be back other than to say oh look at me I was right on a message board!  For the record I am not saying you are doing that either or that you feel that way.  Still the fact remains we don’t know.

With that said could Luck’s career be over?  Sure it’s possiable.  However no one here knows if Luck is done until the end of November, December, the season, or even his career.  The article I posted above says it’s not uncommon to have a setback with this type of surgery.  So I would encourage everyone to just take everything with a grain of salt use patience and not rush to judgement on any front because frankly none of us know.  The only reason I can think of stating Luck is done like it’s fact is so if he is that person can dig that post up months later and go see look I was right I am so smart.  Does anyone who is a Colts fan truly want to be right on that front with that fact?

With that said I totally understand those that go I fear his career could be over or I hate to say it I think it is over.  That’s different that’s just someone’s opinion on the subject.  Okay I am off my soapbox.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:06 PM, J@son said:

How so? 

I can't go through every single discussion I've had with my dad since the surgery, so I am not going even try.  Suffice to say, I trust what insight he has provided far more than the nonesense that the Colts have been spewing about Andrew's condition.  

I hope Andrew makes a full recovery, but his recovery is not a sure thing.  You know where I stand on his outlook.