Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr.Ballard.... where is the OL and DL improvement?

AustexColt

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

No it wasn't.  A less talented 2016 Colt team was literally 3 plays away from winning 11 games.

Hey I respect your opinion, it can be looked at all kinds of ways.  I just think Luck elevates them to more wins than they would otherwise get without him.  It would be nice if he didn't have to be superman to get some wins. 

8 hours ago, colts52761 said:

kelly is hurt and our best OL player

I don't know about best OLine player, that would have to be AC since he's reliable and has been healthy most of his career. I wouldn't say Center is one of the easiest positions but it's harder to find a good RT than it is to find a good Center 

Still struggling to get my head round the thought process for this topic....

The O line is, and has been, a problem for a long time.  The draft this year was the weakest O-line draft we have seen in years and the FA market reflected this with average players going for huge sums of money.  Ballard addressed this by putting his faith in who we have (which looked a decent option based on how we played near the end of last year) and bringing in guys like Schwenke to try and cover any injuries. What other feasible options did we have?

The D-line did look very poor in game 2, admittedly.  But let's remember, it is pre-season! This is where these problems are worked on and looked at to improve with a group of guys who have played together for a matter of weeks.  This was never going to come together and instantly make us a force to be reckoned with but you look at the depth chart last year and this year and tell me Ballard hasn't made us much stronger at that group.

Although it is early doors, Ballard has been a breath of fresh air for the organisation.  Lets give the guy more than 2 pre season games before we judge.

5 hours ago, Smitto said:

I don't know about best OLine player, that would have to be AC since he's reliable and has been healthy most of his career. I wouldn't say Center is one of the easiest positions but it's harder to find a good RT than it is to find a good Center 

Castonzo might be more important because he's a LT, but Kelly is the better player

15 hours ago, AustexColt said:

You said since you were hired that we will be better on OL and DL. That it all begins there.....  I don't see it. I hope you can still fix it before the season starts. Was it the coaching or the stable of players that is just not making it happen?

I will add that our secondary sucks and they can't play physical or tackle even after the receivers catches the ball. Its heart breaking. Tell the DB's the honest truth about their capabilities. Maybe then, they may play with some urgency that their career is on the line. Pagano is a DB coach and I am dumbfounded by the lack of production in that area.

15 hours ago, AustexColt said:

That is what these guys say.... and we just sit here waiting. Bellichek does not use that as an excuse. You either perform or your out of the lineup. He holds nobody as prima donna even less marginally talented players. This is a paying sport where the objective is to WIN. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I always enjoy when a poster with a history of questionable threads adds another to the growing list.  And then when said poster doubles down within the thread?  Gold - pure gold.  Tis why I come to this board.

13 hours ago, Moe said:

I think we have a good start at rebuilding, but dang what the he'll have we been doing as far as coaching?  Same old song and dance 

As a person Pagono  is a likeable guy but,,,, I don't think being a players coach being rah rah

and saying how the this group of guys are fighters and didn't give up makes up for poor coatching

clock management, tackling. ect...Sometimes you need tuff love & I wonder if he can do that.

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

As a person Pagono  is a likeable guy but,,,, I don't think being a players coach being rah rah

and saying how  this group of guys are fighters and didn't give up makes up for poor coatching

clock management, tackling. ect...Sometimes you need tuff love & I wonder if he can do that.

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Hey I respect your opinion, it can be looked at all kinds of ways.  I just think Luck elevates them to more wins than they would otherwise get without him.  It would be nice if he didn't have to be superman to get some wins. 

I definitely can't disagree with this point.    

If hind sight when manning got hurt the year before Andrew got drafted we had a bad year because

we had no general to lead us. The next year luck came in and turned it around. He progressed each

year until he got us to the AL championship. But remember, he inherited the remains of a franchise

built by bill polian and as the talent dwindled that is why we are at where we are now. we have been

spoiled. We hope the new gm will start to turn this around. i'm sorry but it's not going to happen over

night. our next tweak might be coaching staff if they don't get on the ball as this year progresses!

19 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Castonzo might be more important because he's a LT, but Kelly is the better player

Kelly is not the better player, he has support on both sides of him which makes his job easier.. If he needs help he can push a lineman to the left or right guard... Not so for AC... Kelly is a good Center but I feel like the Colts will hardly miss a beat at center. 

On 8/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, AustexColt said:

That is what these guys say.... and we just sit here waiting. Bellichek does not use that as an excuse. You either perform or your out of the lineup. He holds nobody as prima donna even less marginally talented players. This is a paying sport where the objective is to WIN. 

Who's being held as a prima donna? They just wrapped training camp last week, did you really think both units would be world beaters after 2 weeks of preseason?