Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills trade Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby

Colts_Fan12

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Traded Watkins and 2018 6th round pick to the Rams for EJ Gaines and a 2018 2nd rounder. 

Traded Darby to the Eagles for Jordan Matthews and a 2018 3rd round pick. 

Pretty good move for the Bills.  Lost Gilmore so they went and grabbed a solid CB.  Watkins has not been amazing by any means and was injured.  

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Not this Mets fan.

I gather you don't like the trades. 

Maybe they do help us out long term. I don't know. Don't think Mathews is as good as Watkins, think the issues were more with the Buffalo offense than him. So Mathews and Boldin will be 1 and 2? Why wait until preseason to decide you're going to tank the season than say, April?

So I get to look forward to a long Bills season and another Patriots SB appearance. Wonderful.

5 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Maybe they do help us out long term. I don't know. Don't think Mathews is as good as Watkins, think the issues were more with the Buffalo offense than him. So Mathews and Boldin will be 1 and 2? Why wait until preseason to decide you're going to tank the season than say, April?

So I get to look forward to a long Bills season and another Patriots SB appearance. Wonderful.

Your team will have at least two draft picks in each of the first 3 rounds next year. They may be looking to package some of the picks to get a franchise QB. 

Watkins seemed to be injured a lot. I was more surprised that they traded Darby. I have not followed the Bills much but I recall him being very good his rookie year. What was the reason for that trade?

14 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

I was hoping you could explain this one to me , Buf

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Bills seem like they want to tank. I don't know why the Eagles would give up Matthews. He's been solid for them and Agholor sucks. I guess they couldn't get any biters on Agholor so they had to move Matthews.

But they got Darby who has been pretty good losing Matthews won't hurt as bad since they got Jeffery 

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I as hoping you could explain this one to me , Buf

its a tank job for this season, simple as that

they weren't winning the super bowl or the division anyway, so now they have a bunch of picks

i thought they should have stood by tyrod taylor a little more myself, but it looks like they are close to giving up on him too

22 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

I recall Watkins played great when he wasn't hurt... but... he seemed to be nicked up, ailing, or MIA quite often in his short career. Next years Bills draft will determine whether this was a good trade.  Getting a 2nd and 3rd rounder added for next year could be very beneficial.

Another thing, thinks of who went, and those brought in, and think 'scheme fit'.  Then think extra draft picks.  How do you feel now?  ;-)

On 12.8.2017 at 1:21 PM, NFLfan said:

Your team will have at least two draft picks in each of the first 3 rounds next year. They may be looking to package some of the picks to get a franchise QB. 

Watkins seemed to be injured a lot. I was more surprised that they traded Darby. I have not followed the Bills much but I recall him being very good his rookie year. What was the reason for that trade?

Darby is a man corner. McDermott likes to play zone. In Carolina last year as their DC, he had them play more zone than any other D in the league IIRC. Corners aren't as important there as the front 7 is. As seen how Carolina let Norman walk last year and Bills let Gilmore walk this year.

Plus one has to give to get. Matthews is a solid #2 receiver.

4 minutes ago, Finball said:

Darby is a man corner. McDermott likes to play zone. In Carolina last year as their DC, he had them play more zone than any other D in the league IIRC. Corners aren't as important there as the front 7 is. As seen how Carolina let Norman walk last year and Bills let Gilmore walk this year.

Plus one has to give to get. Matthews is a solid #2 receiver.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. I assumed that the new GM and the head coach made the trades to rid themselves of top players drafted by the previous administration.

I liked Matthews a lot coming out of Vandy. I believe the Eagles should have retained him.

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I just think Sammy Watkins was worth a first round pick ..he's had a 1,000-yard season..

You can get compensatory 3rd rounders by letting a guy go free agent..

Trading away starting players for draft choices is basketball..not football

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. I assumed that the new GM and the head coach made the trades to rid themselves of top players drafted by the previous administration.

I liked Matthews a lot coming out of Vandy. I believe the Eagles should have retained him.

Watkins was injured a lot, especially after his Jones fracture in his foot.  He also had hip issues, plus ankle, and shin problems.  He is able to take the top off a D, which is what the Rams/Goff need - when he's not nursing some type of ailment.  It appears the Bills wanted something for Watkins, as they did not feel he was healthy often enough, or consistent enough to pick up his 5th year option, so get something for him now rather than possibly little or nothing later.

So after trading Watkins with injuries being the primary reason, Jordan Matthews gets injured in practice on his first day, and is week to week. You can't make this stuff up.

As I said, I really don't like this trade. Matthews is a slot guy, so what, he'll be catching 5 yard underneath passes or something? Not the same threat as Watkins was. We don't have anything menacing at WR now. I imagine defending the Bills' passing attack will be the easiest it's been since the Trent Edwards years.

On August 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM, buffalo34 said:

Ouch B-34. You're not wrong. I do have substantial empathy for you though. Your club doesn't deserve this level of prolonged pain & irrelevant regular season collapses. Sorry man. 

The  Pegulas do seem driven to shake things up & try to turn this franchise fortune's around. I saw a TV segment on Kim on NFL Network over a yr ago. She seems driven to win & not tolerate mediocrity. Hang in there my man. 

3 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

So after trading Watkins with injuries being the primary reason, Jordan Matthews gets injured in practice on his first day, and is week to week. You can't make this stuff up.

As I said, I really don't like this trade. Matthews is a slot guy, so what, he'll be catching 5 yard underneath passes or something? Not the same threat as Watkins was. We don't have anything menacing at WR now. I imagine defending the Bills' passing attack will be the easiest it's been since the Trent Edwards years.

Bad for this year, yes.  But the new GM has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft next year.  Get healthy young stars to fill roles.  Sammy wasn't extended (option) and they might well have lost him to FA very soon.  They get draft pick for him... build again...

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, buffalo34 said:

I think they felt Watkins injuries were just adding up too much. Didn't they clean house at the top this offseason too?? I could be wrong. The big thing that nobody is mentioning is Bills yes swapped CBs and WRs essentially (and likely down graded slightly on both) but they got what should be a high high second and a fairly high third rd pick too! That's huge! They also got a first rd pick from KC for the trade they made....so they likely will have 3 picks in top 40 and 5 in top 100....very very nice for a team that was looking at a rebuild. Lots of ammo for a top qb and to address other areas for concern.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, oldunclemark said:

I just think Sammy Watkins was worth a first round pick ..he's had a 1,000-yard season..

You can get compensatory 3rd rounders by letting a guy go free agent..

Trading away starting players for draft choices is basketball..not football

They essentially got first rd for him. Rams 2nd will be very very high...and the compensatory pick wouldn't come down until 2019 so they just moved up the timeline and can start the rebuild sooner....the Watkins draft pick was an epic blunder....seeing as he went ahead of Dez and ODB. Bills should have just stayed put....and while Watkins had a great rookie year he definitely hasn't been able to stay on the field to justify the draft position.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:53 AM, buffalo34 said:

Don't forget you have to get back to Patriots jinxing starting week 1. Sharpen your skills now in preseason in your free time.

I am kinda curious actually to see how the Bills develop with the new head coach. Sean McDermott had some good defenses in Carolina.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Here's a part where it caught my eye from that article: "More recently, a rumor has made the rounds on the internet about Ragland being sent to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for wide receiver Phillip Dorsett."  

Would that be a good trade?