Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Tweets On Manning's Clearance

Tony Sullivan

That was ment more with sarcaism. Also who knows who leaked this? It could have been Manning or a doctor but it could have also been someone else close to Peyton. It's worth pointing out one of these doctors who cleared Peyton was the Colts team doctor so if he's the one that leaked it Irsay needs to have a talk with him since he cuts his check.

I am not sure this one is 100% Peyton's fault. It's not like he held a presser or went on national TV and said the doctors cleared me. The word got out to ESPN by someone (again could very well be in Manning's camp) but just about anyone who is worth their salt on this one and isn't just throwing out a major headline said right away this isn't major news because of the nerve and that's the real issue.

I agree.. i dont think he wanted this out this week...

he genuienely (as did Irsay) seemed to want to spotlight the Super Bowl with his brother..

...I dont think Peyton controls all media

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts are doing everything they can to get it out there that Peyton can't play anymore. If Peyton wants to play, he needs to counteract that idea. On Monday, everyone was saying it was almost sure Peyton would retire. Just because the media has been talking about it non stop doesn't mean Manning has really said very much. He gave an interview on Tuesday where he barely gave out any information. He's feeling positive about his health.

NOT TRUE. We found out how great Gatorade is.

I think it's quite the opposite. It appears to me that although both Manning and Irsay are saying one thing, their actions are portaying another. If they had a meeting to discuss their previous spat, then it appears that they had a full discussion on Peyton Manning's future. It is now aparent to Manning that he will be released, dispite his helath. So he is now letting all of the other teams in the league know that he is healthy and cleared to play. Since during this week he has a large audience, with all eyes on football, now is the best time to release this information. His plan has worked, as now every team has heard about his physical clearance to play. He is trying to erase any doubt that teams may have about signing a QB coming off of a 3rd neck surgery. He specifically mentioned that he is throwing to receivers so that if you are a GM of another team, you hear that he is cleared to play and is throwing to actual receivers, not just team equipment guys.

Do you remember when Rob Lowe treeted about Peyton? I don't think Peyton needs to wait for the Super Bowl to be in town to capture the attention of the sports world.

Do you remember when Rob Lowe treeted about Peyton? I don't think Peyton needs to wait for the Super Bowl to be in town to capture the attention of the sports world.

Regardless of that, my point is that it's very orchestrated and it's becoming obvious with the back and forth between Manning and Irsay. They're lobbying their positions.

here is your link http://espn.go.com/n...r?eleven=twelve if you read, the Colts Team doctor's name is Hank Feuer...this is from today, still stating that he said that....there were SEVERAL other sources/links yesterday stating the same

Trouble in River City, I tell you...

Notable quotes from your link and my respnse while reading-

"The sources said Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the procedure on Manning, examined the player recently in Los Angeles and concluded the stability in his neck would have allowed Manning to play this Sunday as long as the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level."

So you have no idea what nerve regeneration has taken place, just there's no issue Manning's head will fall off of his shoulders. OK.

"Watkins, according to the sources, joined Colts neurosurgeon Dr. Hank Feuer in clearing Manning to play."

Is this an official Colts physical? Does this also incorporate return of physical ability, not just capability?

"What remains in question is the timeline in which Manning's nerve regeneration to his triceps will improve to the point where he is throwing passes in the manner that helped him win four MVP awards during his 13-year career."

Why is this an issue if the doctors cleared him? Because that wasn't the part they cleared him for, that's why. Or they would have said so in detail. This, however, is THE important ingredient to the Colts F.O. though.

"Manning has spent numerous recent days throwing to at least one wide receiver, aiming to regain as much strength as possible in his arm."

No news, he's been cleared to throw since early December. He still trying to improve? Hmmm.... not good.

"However, the source said Manning still cannot pinpoint a date when his performance will reach an acceptable level to him. The source alluded that it might take to the one-year anniversary of Manning's May 23, 2011, surgery on a bulging disk in his neck."

Too little, too late. 5/8/12 is the deadline, not May or later. However, I'm certain Peyton's acceptable performance level would be acceptable to the Colts and Colts fans. I'm just sure when, or if, Peyton will achieve that. Not question he wants to and is trying, but his body just might not cooperate. We'll see.

"the Colts also have aligned their coaching staff with Manning-friendly offensive assistants."

Looks like they were planning on the possibility of a complete recovery by 5/8.

I have two #18 game jerseys, the Superbowl with Captain patch and Blue. Also a light mesh Blue one, so 3 in total. I'll keep and cherish them forever. The face of our franchise will never be forgotten. But if it is best for the franchise to sever ties and Peyton tries to finish his career in another uniform, them I'll just have to accept that. I'd like Peyton in top form for 3 years, but I don't think he's got it in him. And I wouldn't spend 54 million (he got 26 last year, and set to get 28 on Mar. 8) with the possibly to never see him take another snap for it and also strap the franchise in cap Hades for 3-4 years. Especially if it means we had to pass on the best prospect at his position since he himself was selected. He always has been worth every penny... when he played. Which was always. But is now never... so far.

I am upset of the gamesmanship and disrespect from both sides. We didn't want this We just want to watch a Super Bowl and then see how well Peyton can throw the ball on March 7th. Sigh. :(

Personally, i think that now that we have the rights to draft Andrew Luck, Irsay sees this as the best time to get the QB of the future and move on. Not saying it will be right or wrong, just that in MY opinion, i think this...

I also think that early in the year when the Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning on the same team questions started to pop up, Irsay gave the "fan friendly" answer because he thought that we would surely win just enough games that it would be a non-issue anyhow.

Then, we did end up with the #1 pick, so he said it was all about Peyton's health and not about money, because he thought that Peyton would probably not be cleared to play. Then now that he has been cleared to play, and Irsay has already made up his mind that we would draft Luck and move on, he has to try to find a way to save face in the whole situation.

Now on the other side, Peyton knows he's cleared to play and working very hard to make sure he's ready to play next year...and all over the media and twitter etc he sees/hears/reads that Irsay is making it sound like its doubtful Peyton will be able to play and knowing that that is far from the truth, it upsets him, so he "retaliates" by making sure that the fact that he WILL be able to play gets out in the open.

This is all just my opinion. But to me, Irsay has handled this poorly, he shouldve just been 100% honest the whole time. If he wants to move on, fine, but say that instead of trying to beat around the bush and make excuses as to why you're moving on. Sure, Peyton couldve just stayed quiet about all of it, but be honest, would YOU just sit there quietly when your "boss" is giving out factually incorrect information about you? It would make you look bad to your fans and also to future teams who may be scared away from giving you the chance to continue your career.

One thing it seems that people are misunderstanding. The doctors did not clear Manning to play football. They cleared him to start resuming his football workout routine. Basically his physical therapy is done and now he can start working on his football muscles.

just not true. He was cleared to start doing "football" stuff, aggressive throwing and practicing back in December. Wednesday, he was cleared to PLAY. There is a big difference. And BOTH doctors, the one who actually performed the surgery AND Hank Feuer (the Colts doctor) have been quoted as saying that if we had a game Sunday, he would be cleared to PLAY.

Personally, i think that now that we have the rights to draft Andrew Luck, Irsay sees this as the best time to get the QB of the future and move on. Not saying it will be right or wrong, just that in MY opinion, i think this...

I also think that early in the year when the Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning on the same team questions started to pop up, Irsay gave the "fan friendly" answer because he thought that we would surely win just enough games that it would be a non-issue anyhow.

Then, we did end up with the #1 pick, so he said it was all about Peyton's health and not about money, because he thought that Peyton would probably not be cleared to play. Then now that he has been cleared to play, and Irsay has already made up his mind that we would draft Luck and move on, he has to try to find a way to save face in the whole situation.

Now on the other side, Peyton knows he's cleared to play and working very hard to make sure he's ready to play next year...and all over the media and twitter etc he sees/hears/reads that Irsay is making it sound like its doubtful Peyton will be able to play and knowing that that is far from the truth, it upsets him, so he "retaliates" by making sure that the fact that he WILL be able to play gets out in the open.

This is all just my opinion. But to me, Irsay has handled this poorly, he shouldve just been 100% honest the whole time. If he wants to move on, fine, but say that instead of trying to beat around the bush and make excuses as to why you're moving on. Sure, Peyton couldve just stayed quiet about all of it, but be honest, would YOU just sit there quietly when your "boss" is giving out factually incorrect information about you? It would make you look bad to your fans and also to future teams who may be scared away from giving you the chance to continue your career.

Two points:

1) Peyton and Condon never said that Peyton WILL be able to play. Condon said that Peyton expects to play in 2012. Peyton said he plans on playing. It is incorrect to overstate the fact of the matter. I doubt anyone at this time knows if the nerve WILL regenerate. To overstate it gives false hope, and shifts the truth.

2) We don't know what Mr. Irsay meant by "healthy". In fact I started a thread on this precise issue. Many posters thought healthy meant that Peyton is back 100% to his pre-injury form. From that, I deduce it means more than being medically cleared (safety issue) to play.

just not true. He was cleared to start doing "football" stuff, aggressive throwing and practicing back in December. Wednesday, he was cleared to PLAY. There is a big difference. And BOTH doctors, the one who actually performed the surgery AND Hank Feuer (the Colts doctor) have been quoted as saying that if we had a game Sunday, he would be cleared to PLAY.

I do suggest you read the entire article. It explains very well the difference between the safety aspect and the performance aspect of Peyton's rehab situation. The medical clearance was given from the safety perspective, not the performance perspective.

Partially, here is the quote

"The sources said Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the procedure on Manning, examined the player recently in Los Angeles and concluded the stability in his neck would have allowed Manning to play this Sunday as long as the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level."

So all this is saying is his neck surgery is fully healed, now it's just a matter if the reason for the surgery is going to allow or prevent him from playing.

I may be right or wrong, but I took that as he needs to work on his arm. (So no one jumps all up and down the following is speculation on my part) Perhaps because of the nerve and the muscles it affects he needs to change his grip, perhaps his throwing motion.

Two points:

1) Peyton and Condon never said that Peyton WILL be able to play. Condon said that Peyton expects to play in 2012. Peyton said he plans on playing. It is incorrect to overstate the fact of the matter. I doubt anyone at this time knows if the nerve WILL regenerate. To overstate it gives false hope, and shifts the truth.

2) We don't know what Mr. Irsay meant by "healthy". In fact I started a thread on this precise issue. Many posters thought healthy meant that Peyton is back 100% to his pre-injury form. From that, I deduce it means more than being medically cleared (safety issue) to play.

apparently you struggle to comprehend what you read. i CLEARLY stated MULTIPLE times in my post that it was all MY OPINION, not FACT.

I understand that other's opinions are hard to look at objectively with you being the all knowing all powerful authority on everything...but for you to act like i stated anything as fact is just blatantly wrong on your part, and i would appreciate it if you dont take what i state as an OPINION as me saying its fact.

I do suggest you read the entire article. It explains very well the difference between the safety aspect and the performance aspect of Peyton's rehab situation. The medical clearance was given from the safety perspective, not the performance perspective.

again, reading comprehension is definitely NOT your strong point. i didnt say that he was at a high performance point in his preparations to play, i simply said that he was MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY. For you to imply or suggest that i said otherwise is again, wrong and misleading for you to do.

Partially, here is the quote

So all this is saying is his neck surgery is fully healed, now it's just a matter if the reason for the surgery is going to allow or prevent him from playing.

I may be right or wrong, but I took that as he needs to work on his arm. (So no one jumps all up and down the following is speculation on my part) Perhaps because of the nerve and the muscles it affects he needs to change his grip, perhaps his throwing motion.

if you read what i posted, i didnt say his nerves were finished healing, i said that he was medically cleared to play, which is 100% true and has even been confirmed by the doctors when asked via email by reporters at the indystar last night

if you read what i posted, i didnt say his nerves were finished healing, i said that he was medically cleared to play, which is 100% true and has even been confirmed by the doctors when asked via email by reporters at the indystar last night

No offense meant, just bolded the part to further explain what I meant.

I have heard the same and I was lucky enough to go to the Village and it is great to say the least. I just wish everything else and the media would back off because I don't think this is fair to both teams this is their time. Just like on media day the media asked Eli things about Peyton and he was polite but that was tacky in my opinion. Good thing it wasn't me because I would have probably said this isn't about Peyton this is about the Giants. Knowing that is probably what he was thinking. haha

I live in pa so i certainly can't take any credit but I am and have been VERY impressed with one thing.

people are saying now and I've heard for years how nice Colt fans and the people of indy are. I think the city, people , and Colt fans and staff deserve some credit for being (seemingly) generally nice ,welcoming, and kind hearted people.

But can you be at least a little "meaner" to visiting fans?

Maybe try starting with Pats fans.

You don't have to beat them up or let the air out of their tires, but do you have to hold the door, wash their cars while they're in the stadium, dismiss their parking tickets, buy them lunch, etc, etc.

You're going too far!

I live in pa so i certainly can't take any credit but I am and have been VERY impressed with one thing.

people are saying now and I've heard for years how nice Colt fans and the people of indy are. I think the city, people , and Colt fans and staff deserve some credit for being (seemingly) generally nice ,welcoming, and kind hearted people.

But can you be at least a little "meaner" to visiting fans?

Maybe try starting with Pats fans.

You don't have to beat them up or let the air out of their tires, but do you have to hold the door, wash their cars while they're in the stadium, dismiss their parking tickets, buy them lunch, etc, etc.

You're going too far!

Well if you say so. haha I think everyone is being treated very nicely by us Hoosiers. Sorry that's Hoosier Hospitality.

I would like to kind of issue an apology because, at a point of emotional distress, I made some assumptions about Peyton that , even at this moment, I'm still trying to come to grips with.

At some level i called into question Peyton's character I think. I now feel this was maybe unfair, heck, I'm not sure about much Colt-related anymore.

In the future, while I can't promise anything, I'm gonna try to keep my emotions more in check.

Looking back, I don't feel i attacked any of you because I don't fault or deny anyone of their opinions. i do, however, expect the same respect, at least.

I guess I mainly just feel bad for speaking poorly about my FAVORITE player of all time (and I LOVED Bert Jones) and regret saying some of the things I did. i keep hoping I'm gonna wake up and its the friday befor week 17, we're 12-3, painter is gonna start this week cuz Peyton got us the division and in the playoffs.

Its just breaking my heart what is going on. I'm trying to be realistic and be thankful for the great years manning has given us. I'm trying to be hopeful that Manning will improve, and somehow we can have him lead the team for 3 years while teaching and helping Luck. I'm trying to be hopeful that manning and Luck will be best buddies who will "hang"' at peyton's house watching film together, eatin oreos. and drinking gatorade.

But, as is becoming clearer every day, it just doesn't look like that will happen.

no matter what happens, in time I'll be just as enthusiastic about this team (i think) and love the "shoe" , its history, and all that it stands for to me.

This last decade has gone by so fast and peyton and the team seemed almost immortal. Its funny how, even after experiencing so many BAD years, it is so easy to think this success would have lasted forever.

But , sadly, it does indeed look like "Camelot" is ending.

I guess if that is true we should just be happy we were able to experience it all.

Manning was never cleared for practice in December. He was cleared to start throwing, not "aggressive throwing". You spin it worse than the media.

Manning was never cleared for practice in December. He was cleared to start throwing, not "aggressive throwing". You spin it worse than the media.

i'm not trying to spin mod edit. If you're a football player, and a QB at that... throwing passes to WRs and RBs is PRACTICING. He wasnt game planning because he wasnt playing in the games and said he didnt want to take reps away from Painter and Orlovski...and they needed him to "fail" his physical in order to bypass league rules that wouldve kept him away from team facilities this offseason.

So call it what you want, but he WAS practicing, just not for an upcoming game at that time

i'm not trying to spin mod edit. If you're a football player, and a QB at that... throwing passes to WRs and RBs is PRACTICING. He wasnt game planning because he wasnt playing in the games and said he didnt want to take reps away from Painter and Orlovski...and they needed him to "fail" his physical in order to bypass league rules that wouldve kept him away from team facilities this offseason.

So call it what you want, but he WAS practicing, just not for an upcoming game at that time

You clearly said he was cleared to to start doing "football stuff" (correct), aggressive throwing and practicing. Would throwing balls to your WR and RBs not fall under the category of "aggressive throwing". Sounds like you meant something else and are trying to cover yourself.

Manning was never cleared to practice in December. On top of that it was not "aggressive" throwing. No article stated that whatsoever. Joseph Addai came out and said his short stuff is really good. No deep balls though.

You clearly said he was cleared to to start doing "football stuff" (correct), aggressive throwing and practicing. Would throwing balls to your WR and RBs not fall under the category of "aggressive throwing". Sounds like you meant something else and are trying to cover yourself.

Manning was never cleared to practice in December. On top of that it was not "aggressive" throwing. No article stated that whatsoever. Joseph Addai came out and said his short stuff is really good. No deep balls though.

Bill Polian said that Peyton had been holding private "workouts" with himself a WR and a RB. To me, that sounds A LOT like "practicing"....as for how "aggressive" it was, Bill also said that Peyton had made "30-35 throws of about 25-30 yards and around 10-12 hand offs to the running back, in just under an hour"...to me, that is nearly an entire game's worth of throws/hand offs and all done in 1/3 of the time that a game lasts...seems pretty aggressive to me

Bill Polian said that Peyton had been holding private "workouts" with himself a WR and a RB. To me, that sounds A LOT like "practicing"....as for how "aggressive" it was, Bill also said that Peyton had made "30-35 throws of about 25-30 yards and around 10-12 hand offs to the running back, in just under an hour"...to me, that is nearly an entire game's worth of throws/hand offs and all done in 1/3 of the time that a game lasts...seems pretty aggressive to me

if thats aggressive what would you call Manning making 70 yard tosses and bootlegs on the run?

if thats aggressive what would you call Manning making 70 yard tosses and bootlegs on the run?

for a guy who was forced to watch the first few games from the coaches booth because it was too risky for him to even stand on the sidelines...and someone who hadnt been allowed to throw in nearly 6 months....someone who had to get medical clearance just to do LIGHT JOGGING...i think doing a game's worth of throws in under an hour is most certainly aggressive.

And when has Manning EVER made 70 yard tosses? and how often has he EVER made bootlegs on the run?

Hopefully you're not being serious...but if you are... :loco:

for a guy who was forced to watch the first few games from the coaches booth because it was too risky for him to even stand on the sidelines...and someone who hadnt been allowed to throw in nearly 6 months....someone who had to get medical clearance just to do LIGHT JOGGING...i think doing a game's worth of throws in under an hour is most certainly aggressive.

And when has Manning EVER made 70 yard tosses? and how often has he EVER made bootlegs on the run?

Hopefully you're not being serious...but if you are... :loco:

if you consider 25 30 yard tosses in an hour aggressive what would you call 50 yard tosses or 30 yard bootlegs from 260 lb defenders?

simply put you can use that crazy symbol on your own ignorant self if youre trying to say doing a light routine over an hour is by any means aggressive. you are simply wrong and trying to spin it to match your agenda.

if you consider 25 30 yard tosses in an hour aggressive what would you call 50 yard tosses or 30 yard bootlegs from 260 lb defenders?

simply put you can use that crazy symbol on your own ignorant self if youre trying to say doing a light routine over an hour is by any means aggressive. you are simply wrong and trying to spin it to match your agenda.

Manning has never had a "70 yard toss arm" ... and bootlegs? Nope... guess the rules out Washingiton. Those are Shanny's favorite plays...

Does anybody of you think that - apart from all the "Peyton and I will remain friends forever" stuff - there is the theoretical option that Irsay wants to postpone THE decision to a date as late as possible in order to make it more difficult for Manning and interested teams to become acquainted with each other (for example: prevent Manning from getting familiar with other offenses)? I got that thought after Manning said that he wants a decision - rather sooner than later...

I am naive and somewhat a romanticist when it comes to sports (in fact I hate the gibberish "it's all about business" talk). So my hope is that Irsay does all he can to keep Manning (asking to postpone the bonus date, let lawyers check the options for a modified contract, give Manning more time to let him prove his health and zip, etc., etc.). But sometimes I wonder whether even Irsay might be in league with the devil...

Does anybody of you think that - apart from all the "Peyton and I will remain friends forever" stuff - there is the theoretical option that Irsay wants to postpone THE decision to a date as late as possible in order to make it more difficult for Manning and interested teams to become acquainted with each other (for example: prevent Manning from getting familiar with other offenses)? I got that thought after Manning said that he wants a decision - rather sooner than later...

I am naive and somewhat a romanticist when it comes to sports (in fact I hate the gibberish "it's all about business" talk). So my hope is that Irsay does all he can to keep Manning (asking to postpone the bonus date, let lawyers check the options for a modified contract, give Manning more time to let him prove his health and zip, etc., etc.). But sometimes I wonder whether even Irsay might be in league with the devil...

The whole "rework the contract talk" ... I have never got a straight answer on ... But as far as I know it is up to Manning to approve a reworking... obviously.

But why would he? He is a union member and the NFLPA would not look happily upon a Peyton Manning reworking and taking less money....

I don't know.. there are so many wheels turning here...

I can't believe a Super Bowl is getting out "media'd" by the Great Peyton Manning...

The whole "rework the contract talk" ... I have never got a straight answer on ... But as far as I know it is up to Manning to approve a reworking... obviously.

But why would he? He is a union member and the NFLPA would not look happily upon a Peyton Manning reworking and taking less money....

I can't believe a Super Bowl is getting out "media'd" by the Great Peyton Manning...

He's not worth that kind of money until he proves he can still perform at a high level.....the burden of proof is on him. Why is he so secretive on his progress anyway?

Well, for me, that's okay. It's a bit too much of a drama, but in the end it is okay for me because I don't care about NY or the Patriots or anyone else (wanna see Eli beating the crap out of Patriots though haha). I just want to see the best things happen for "my" team. And from my point of view the best thing to happen for the Colts is to give Manning two other shots at the SB and groom (is that the proper term?) Luck behind him the next two years. Provided that Manning's healthy, of course. And my guess is he will be - just maybe not on March 8th.

I mean, it became more than clear last season that Manning suffered from an average team. Now with new and more aggressive coaches, with a supposedly better defense, I can imagine good things happen with both Manning and Luck.

you said SEVENTY yard tosses and bootlegs...neither of which Manning does when healthy.

And yes, for someone in his physical state at that time, it most certainly was aggressive. Maybe not for someone who was 100% healthy, but the fact is that he wasnt healthy then...and even if he was, do you really think that healthy NFL QBs throw 70 yard bombs in practice? heck, most NFL QBs would struggle to throw the ball 70 yards anyhow.

For you to call that me "spinning it however i like" is just ridiculous.

Im sure in your little fantasy land, people who just came out of spinal fusion surgery with nerve damage and muscle atrophy can toss the ball 70 yards while running from 260lb people...but in the real world, that doesnt happen. :spit:

it wouldnt so much be "reworking" the contract as just if we didnt pay the option, then he isnt under contract anymore, so he is free to negotiate a completely new contract with any team, Colts included

it wouldnt so much be "reworking" the contract as just if we didnt pay the option, then he isnt under contract anymore, so he is free to negotiate a completely new contract with any team, Colts included

I don't think this is true... kind of like collusion... But I really don't know..

It does sound too easy to be true...

I don't think this is true... kind of like collusion... But I really don't know..

It does sound too easy to be true...

no, it actually IS true. If we dont pay the $28million bonus on March 8th, it makes his current contract null and void...thus making him an unrestricted free agent...so he can sign anywhere he likes, including here

no, it actually IS true. If we dont pay the $28million bonus on March 8th, it makes his current contract null and void...thus making him an unrestricted free agent...so he can sign anywhere he likes, including here

Wow... that just doesn't sound ... legal..??

Not doubting you, but I will do some diggting..