Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft 3.0

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think we go luxury 1st rd. Ballard has made it clear teams start in the trenches. He may go edge, or OL 1st rd. 

He could go RB in 1st. if he addresses the trenches in FA: NT, G or T.  Hopefully edge too but I don't consider edge as a true trench position.  To me the trench positions are the big uglies so to speak.  No disrespect. I am in the camp that the true edge rusher in our scheme is an OLB coming in from the edge. That's just me. 

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He could go RB in 1st. if he addresses the trenches in FA: NT, G or T.  Hopefully edge too but I don't consider edge as a true trench position.  To me the trench positions are the big uglies so to speak.  No disrespect. I am in the camp that the true edge rusher in our scheme is an OLB coming in from the edge. That's just me. 

In my opinion, with our 3-4 scheme the OLB are part of the trenches. 

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

In my opinion, with our 3-4 scheme the OLB are part of the trenches. 

I would love to grab Tim Williams. The guy has beast written all over him. He was used as a situational player but I truly believe it was because of Bamas depth. He has exceptional speed and burst and I think he could be one of those rare guys that develop their all around game.

10 hours ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

I would love to grab Tim Williams. The guy has beast written all over him. He was used as a situational player but I truly believe it was because of Bamas depth. He has exceptional speed and burst and I think he could be one of those rare guys that develop their all around game.

He's just as good as Randy Gregory was coming out. Complete with complimentary drug problem.

Very interesting. I can't see us getting Dalvin unless we absolutely blitz FA and sign a couple of very good starter at OLB and ILB. Zach Brown and Melvin Ingram would make me more comfortable taking Dalvin. He's great and will be very good in the bigs. But as I write this, he's a luxury pick.

Your 2 & 3 should switch places to make it a touch more realistic. Smoot had a great Senior Bowl and has been getting some high praise that could even push him into the bottom of the 1st. Lawson I think will be limited to being a situational rusher, especially early in his career, due to his shortcomings against the run. He is a good speed rusher off the edge though so he might make it into the bottom of round 2 or the early 3rd. I'm not sure either make it to our 3rd pick but Lawson is much more likely to do it than Smoot.

Juju is not going to wow anyone at the combine which might limit his draft stock to a 2nd tier receiver. Although short of an arrest in between now and the draft, he is not making it to the 4th. Highly doubt he makes it to the 3rd due to the reasonably thin WR group. He'll be a good no.2 possession type receiver, but his lack of speed will limit him to being a no.2.

I'm not a Marquez fan right now. He's tight and stiff and needs a LOT of work on his technique. He's going to get burnt like toast on double moves and against speedier more sudden receivers. And he isn't that good in run support either. With the deep class at corner I think there will be better corners available here. 

Bullough is going to be a good special teams player. But slightly below average athleticism along with a small stature is going to be very tough to overcome as an NFL ILB. He's not a great coverage LB, and with his size he's going to get bullied by any competent running team. He's a guy I'd take a flier on as a UDFA but I don't think he's draftable.

I love the Rekhow pick. I'd much rather take a Punter who would start for us in the 6th than just a camp body and cut fodder. Rekhow handled Punting, Field Goal and Kickoff duties at Idaho but he's an NFL Punter. He's got a good leg and is surprisingly good at aiming his punts. Definitely like that pick.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think we go luxury 1st rd. Ballard has made it clear teams start in the trenches. He may go edge, or OL 1st rd. 

No one knows what Ballard will do come draft day, not even Ballard. It's only Feb. 4th lol.

I don't think RB is luxury, its a need as is LBers, CB.

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

He's just as good as Randy Gregory was coming out. Complete with complimentary drug problem.

Marijuana isn't a drug problem but that's a matter of opinion. But for giggles here's an article about the NFLPA's new drug proposal the NFL and their outlook on it. Soon it will become a non-issue it looks like. http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/01/nfl-marijuana-policy-roger-goodell/72844/ I think we go with McKinley anyway.

7 minutes ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

Marijuana isn't a drug problem but that's a matter of opinion. But for giggles here's an article about the NFLPA's new drug proposal the NFL and their outlook on it. Soon it will become a non-issue it looks like. http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/01/nfl-marijuana-policy-roger-goodell/72844/ I think we go with McKinley anyway.

I agree that marijuana isn't a heroin/cocaine style drug with a heavy addiction level.

But the fact that he obviously smokes marijuana regularly is a problem. 

Some guys get past it and some guys get swallowed swallowed by it. For me an issue with drugs immediately takes him out of consideration for the first 2 rounds.

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

I agree that marijuana isn't a heroin/cocaine style drug with a heavy addiction level.

But the fact that he obviously smokes marijuana regularly is a problem. 

He was arrested in September for not having a permit for a gun he purchased and they found a small amount of pot. Small enough that charges weren't filed for it. After that it's safe to assume he was under a microscope. I hardly think that small of an amount found in September constitutes a regular use or a drug problem as you implied.

7 minutes ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

He was arrested in September for not having a permit for a gun he purchased and they found a small amount of pot. Small enough that charges weren't filed for it. After that it's safe to assume he was under a microscope. I hardly think that small of an amount found in September constitutes a regular use or a drug problem as you implied.

The several drug tests he supposedly failed in college do though.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Why even speculate this early with a GM we know little about? Maybe that, maybe this, maybe I'll go take a ...shower!

Agreed.  While the only reason I even open these is for the highlight clips and to research the prospects, I dont give any credence to any mocks.  That said, I pray we do NOT take a RB in the first round.  Gore is serviceable, Turbin is a beast in waiting in my opinion.  1st round, while BPA is a good strategy, we are simply too weak on the defensive side to even think about a RB in the 1st.  Honestly, I'd be okay with trading down a few picks and getting an extra pick or two.  If not, grab the best rated DL or LB or even CB that's on the board.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

No one knows what Ballard will do come draft day, not even Ballard. It's only Feb. 4th lol.

I don't think RB is luxury, its a need as is LBers, CB.

The statement that no one knows is rhetorical. We are discussing theoretical and possible picks, not stating that we KNOW what he will pick, but what he MIGHT pick. That's the whole idea... no one does know.

What I DO know, is that we had a 1,000 yard rusher, and a serviceable backup at RB last year, and I do not see that as a bigger need than any position on defense. Therefore, it makes RB a luxury pick. 

Of course, you are more than welcome to disagree. That's kinda the idea anyways, right?

I like this draft. If possible there is no way Ballard passes on Cook. That is not a "luxury" pick. You then come with Lawson and Smoot. Those 3 picks I'd be happy with if it happened that way. We can look into FA to fill other gaps.

5 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Grigson is gone. Theres no way we pick Cook or Fournette in the first. I think if Cam Robinson falls to us he will be the guy to sure up the OL... If not an edge rusher like Barnett would be great. 

Seriously, we're not taking a damn running back in the 1st. Some of you guys are smoking the best chronic around I swear. 

No running back. Honestly people, until this Defense gets fixed the Colts go nowhere. That means an edge rusher and ILB and CB and NT. Then the RB gets into the discussion. Make this a defensive oriented draft just like last year was an O-line oriented draft. Fix the D and the Colts are back in the playoffs. 

You guys talking about the Marijuana thing. I mean as long as Williams can stay out of trouble, and stay on the field that's all I'm worried about. He didn't ever fail a drug test did he? But I mean face reality. In all likelihood over HALF the league, OVER half...Uses some kind of drug. Whether it be just smoking weed (who cares about freaking weed lol) to something more serious...Being hooked on opiates, Or using roids. Most are just smart enough to not get caught. Think about the injuries these guys have, and when you get an injury and get prescribed oxycodone or some strong pain killer you have a high chance of getting addicted. And Marijuana is just common place this day and age. but back to football Tim Williams is IMO.....IMO. An elite Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Kahlil Mack caliber talent. He had what? 12 sacks as a rotational EDGE rusher. He'll improve against the run after he gets in the NFL and has a year or 2 under his belt, but the kids going to be an absolute freak IMO. I see him becoming one of the top EDGE rushers in the league, putting up 10-15 or more sacks year after year, etc. But there's a handful more quality options such as Takk and Harris. Then more in the 2nd-3rd range I really like. I just think Williams has the higher ceiling. We need to grab Carl Lawson if he falls to the 3rd. I think he's got double digit sack potential, and IMO should be considered an early to mid 2nd rounder.

I honestly understand what people are saying about our defense. However talent wise you can't pass on Cook or Fournette if they are there. RB's are became more valuable than some of you think. I'm for whatever Chris Ballard decides to do. We go defense that's fine. We choice to go with one of the backs I'm fine with it. Either move is going to help the team moving forward. 

Drafting a RB in the 1st is a luxury I don't care what anyone says. I mean if we had hit in the last few drafts and free agency and had Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Williams, Jason Verrett, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Markus Golden, Jatavis Brown, Stefon Diggs, and Ryan Schraeder on the roster along with FA signings from the last year or 2 like Ritchie Incognito, Malik Jackson, Malcolm Jenkins and Darrian Stewart then yeah. A RB like Cook would be the best move we could make. Why? Because we would be loaded at every position and could make that pick..... But guess what. We don't have a great, top 3 OL, a dominant NT, a dominant all around DE, 2 dominant young EDGE rushers, an all around, young top 5 ILB, and another very good rookie ILB opposite, or 3 shut down corners. We don't have any of that? Why? Because Grigson and our scouts were terrible at finding talent in the draft and FA. I mean who the __ takes Antonio Morrison in the 4th (?) When Jatavis Brown, Jordan Howard, Deiondre Hall, and several.....several other MUCH better prospects are on the board??? Even a kid like Rashad Robinson who has all the talent in the world btw would have been a better pick and he barley played this year. I mean who does that? Anybody who watched even highlights of Morrison and Brown could tell Brown had some real potential, while Morrison would be lucky to have a career resembling that of Nate Irving.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Drafting a RB in the 1st is a luxury I don't care what anyone says. I mean if we had hit in the last few drafts and free agency and had Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Williams, Jason Verrett, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Markus Golden, Jatavis Brown, Stefon Diggs, and Ryan Schraeder on the roster along with FA signings from the last year or 2 like Ritchie Incognito, Malik Jackson, Malcolm Jenkins and Darrian Stewart then yeah. A RB like Cook would be the best move we could make. Why? Because we would be loaded at every position and could make that pick..... But guess what. We don't have a great, top 3 OL, a dominant NT, a dominant all around DE, 2 dominant young EDGE rushers, an all around, young top 5 ILB, and another very good rookie ILB opposite, or 3 shut down corners. We don't have any of that? Why? Because Grigson and our scouts were terrible at finding talent in the draft and FA. I mean who the __ takes Antonio Morrison in the 4th (?) When Jatavis Brown, Jordan Howard, Deiondre Hall, and several.....several other MUCH better prospects are on the board??? Even a kid like Rashad Robinson who has all the talent in the world btw would have been a better pick and he barley played this year. I mean who does that? Anybody who watched even highlights of Morrison and Brown could tell Brown had some real potential, while Morrison would be lucky to have a career resembling that of Nate Irving.

I agree with most of what you're saying, especially in reference to drafting a RB in the 1st. However, once you get into the middle rounds it`s pretty hard to nail sure-fire contributors IMO. I don`t think the Morrison pick was a bad pick and anybody who thought J. Howard was going to do what he did on the field this past season is delusional. There are zero scouts that go into a draft saying we are going to draft this guy in the 5th or 6th round to be that starter for us. Lots of folks on this board seem to think it is so easy to get a RB in the late rounds, which is simply not the case.   

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

I agree with most of what you're saying, especially in reference to drafting a RB in the 1st. However, once you get into the middle rounds it`s pretty hard to nail sure-fire contributors IMO. I don`t think the Morrison pick was a bad pick and anybody who thought J. Howard was going to do what he did on the field this past season is delusional. There are zero scouts that go into a draft saying we are going to draft this guy in the 5th or 6th round to be that starter for us. Lots of folks on this board seem to think it is so easy to get a RB in the late rounds, which is simply not the case.   

First. Yeah I know you aren't going to hit in the mid rounds, late rounds, and UDFA every time. But there's a difference in a highly touted prospect sitting on the board late like a Howard, Diggs, Burfict, etc, and guys like Chris Harris Jr. or Thomas Rawles, Brandon Marshall the LB, Trevathan, and etc who nobody (really) and not even scouts seen the potential in. You just have to have some really great scouting to find those kinda guys, and to have great team you have to hit on a guy like that here and there, But IMO when a talent like say Vontaze Burfict is on the board in the 6th and 7th round in 2012 I mean you gotta take him. Stefon Diggs was a superstar talent who dealt with injuries, and Howard was considered a 3rd rounder, and even compared to Arian Foster. I liked him personally and was wanting Howard or Perkins, and Judon, and Jatavis Brown when we got into the 4th-5th. We just have had some really bas scouting. Hopefully that changes, and we start coming out of drafts like Minnesota did with Kendricks in the 2nd, Hunter in the 3rd, and Diggs in the 5th.

54 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

First. Yeah I know you aren't going to hit in the mid rounds, late rounds, and UDFA every time. But there's a difference in a highly touted prospect sitting on the board late like a Howard, Diggs, Burfict, etc, and guys like Chris Harris Jr. or Thomas Rawles, Brandon Marshall the LB, Trevathan, and etc who nobody (really) and not even scouts seen the potential in. You just have to have some really great scouting to find those kinda guys, and to have great team you have to hit on a guy like that here and there, But IMO when a talent like say Vontaze Burfict is on the board in the 6th and 7th round in 2012 I mean you gotta take him. Stefon Diggs was a superstar talent who dealt with injuries, and Howard was considered a 3rd rounder, and even compared to Arian Foster. I liked him personally and was wanting Howard or Perkins, and Judon, and Jatavis Brown when we got into the 4th-5th. We just have had some really bas scouting. Hopefully that changes, and we start coming out of drafts like Minnesota did with Kendricks in the 2nd, Hunter in the 3rd, and Diggs in the 5th.