Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts GM candidates meeting with Pagano

deedub75

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

If Pagano has a say in which GM candidate is chosen, we may not get the best one.  So is Irsay going to hire the GM who is the friendliest to Pagano or is he going to hire the best candidate?

That would be a mistake. Imagine they all want him out except for Raye.

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Irsay wants to WIN period.
  And i believe he is looking many years ahead.
   It is about the Promised Land and those two are so so iffy.
  I vote that he chooses a new road.

I don't think anyone is doubting Irsay's desire to win.  It's questionable whether he knows how to.  He went from a winning formula of an experienced GM and coach to what we have now.  I think he's playing whack-a-mole now.  

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

If Pagano has a say in which GM candidate is chosen, we may not get the best one.  So is Irsay going to hire the GM who is the friendliest to Pagano or is he going to hire the best candidate?

The best candidate. If Irsay thinks, say, Ballard is absolutely the best but he absolutely won't come if Pagano stays(I don't believe the "report" but neither here nor there) I have to imagine Irsay let's him go.

the only way that happens is if they hate Pagano (doubtful) or if they want Shanahan, as he will likely be the only coach candidate not available going forward.

Wasn't it reported that Pagano was going to the Combine?       Because if that's true it's hard to see how Pagano has been in Mobile, Alabama at the same time he's in Indianapolis to meet with the GM candidates?

Hmmmm??

Maybe he stayed behind?   

Either way,  Pagano meeting with the candidates does NOT mean he's picking the next GM.     Only for the GM's to get talk to Chuck and get to know him and his philosophies better.    There needs to be some level of comfort for the new GM,  even if the new GM is likely to fire Chuck in 11-12 months.

2 hours ago, ManningGM said:

Caldwell sat along with Irsay in the interviews and got fired right after Grigson was hired. This mean nothing. 

Irsay never came out and publicly said Caldwell would be back the following year like he has with Pagano, he stated Caldwell remained under review.

Hello fellas, don't mean to intrude but I have not located an introduction thread so I thought I would do so here.  I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading all of your thoughts on the recent activity with the Colts and find your take on the subject(s) interesting.  

I won't go into detail about myself as I put a quick "about me" on my profile page if any or you are so inclined, or if you want to know more about me please feel free to ask.  

I just wanted to say hi and inform you that it is likely you will see me chiming in from time to time going forward.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes but it wasn't the answer many wanted (me included) and some are having a harder time accepting it.

I will be less surprised if Pagano is fired than I will be if the sun comes up tomorrow. 

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wasn't it reported that Pagano was going to the Combine?       Because if that's true it's hard to see how Pagano has been in Mobile, Alabama at the same time he's in Indianapolis to meet with the GM candidates?

Hmmmm??

Maybe he stayed behind?   

Either way,  Pagano meeting with the candidates does NOT mean he's picking the next GM.     Only for the GM's to get talk to Chuck and get to know him and his philosophies better.    There needs to be some level of comfort for the new GM,  even if the new GM is likely to fire Chuck in 11-12 months.

I thought the interviews were taking place in Alabama? 

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

This is standard protocol when theres a GM change and no HC change. Dont read into it as much as you are.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Hello fellas, don't mean to intrude but I have not located an introduction thread so I thought I would do so here.  I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading all of your thoughts on the recent activity with the Colts and find your take on the subject(s) interesting.  

I won't go into detail about myself as I put a quick "about me" on my profile page if any or you are so inclined, or if you want to know more about me please feel free to ask.  

I just wanted to say hi and inform you that it is likely you will see me chiming in from time to time going forward.

Welcome....     I'm just a poster,  not a moderator....   but since you're reaching out I figured I'd say hello....

And haven't you joined up at the most interesting time!        Obviously everyone here watching things as closely as possible....

There will be plenty to talk about.....      don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time here....   this place can be a bit addictive!

Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Welcome, and my best advice to you...buckle up. Its gonna be a bumpy ride lol

First, I believe Polian has a big hand in what is going on. After the last 5 years I believe Jimmy is going to listen to the only GM who had a stable existence with the Colts over a long time and has proved with many clubs how good he is.

Second, if I was Ballard or any GM coming in, with the acrimony you know has happened over the last two years, would you not want to talk to Pagano to hear what he has to say, and also hear his philosophy. The chances are you are going to be paired with him for a year.

Last, whoever is the choice, if you feel like Pagano is someone you cannot work with for a year for whatever reasons you have, you are going to tell Irsay. No hire who is presumably going to have chances in the future, and coming from a stable situation would do this. I believe Pagano's input does not matter to Jimmy at this point. In fact, it may come down to a hire saying I will take the job "if" Pagano is fired. I obviously don't know what is going to happen, but I do know Pagano is hanging by a thread, so to say his input is going to shape or change Jimmy's mind makes no sense.

I think Jimmy is looking for the long term, and someone who has a true track record. Ballard does, and he helped make Kansas City very stable the last few years.

I don't know who the hire will be, but to me the Pagano interview make sense. Pagano will have no impact on the outcome unless the GM Irsay wants to hire gives him a Pagano or me ultimatum.

That's why I lingered before posting anything, ha....... so you know, I enjoy a good debate although I do see a potential for aggravation, I have a longer fuse than my younger years.... I will either enjoy or not participate.  Thanks for the warning nonetheless. 

Oh and so all of you know, I was not a big Heehaw fan other than it kept my parents occupied on Saturday nights  when I was younger so as to free me up for mischief .... lol.  

53 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Well, I goofed that up.  Format is unusual, but I will get the hang of it.

51 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

First, I believe Polian has a big hand in what is going on. After the last 5 years I believe Jimmy is going to listen to the only GM who had a stable existence with the Colts over a long time and has proved with many clubs how good he is.

Second, if I was Ballard or any GM coming in, with the acrimony you know has happened over the last two years, would you not want to talk to Pagano to hear what he has to say, and also hear his philosophy. The chances are you are going to be paired with him for a year.

Last, whoever is the choice, if you feel like Pagano is someone you cannot work with for a year for whatever reasons you have, you are going to tell Irsay. No hire who is presumably going to have chances in the future, and coming from a stable situation would do this. I believe Pagano's input does not matter to Jimmy at this point. In fact, it may come down to a hire saying I will take the job "if" Pagano is fired. I obviously don't know what is going to happen, but I do know Pagano is hanging by a thread, so to say his input is going to shape or change Jimmy's mind makes no sense.

I think Jimmy is looking for the long term, and someone who has a true track record. Ballard does, and he helped make Kansas City very stable the last few years.

I don't know who the hire will be, but to me the Pagano interview make sense. Pagano will have no impact on the outcome unless the GM Irsay wants to hire gives him a Pagano or me ultimatum.

Wholeheartedly agree.... good POV.