Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What makes everything think Manning knows how to build a football team?

Jaric

So the reoccurring meme since most of us got fed up with Grigson's fumbling about has been that Peyton Manning is going to ride in on a white horse, sprinkle whatever magic pixie dust Bob Sanders had in 2006 and everything with be unicorns and rainbows.

As much as I'd love that to happen, I'm not sure why anyone believes that 1.  Manning has any interest in running the Colts or that 2. Being super smart about X's and O's translated into team building.

I've initially just written this off as fanboi man crushes and wishful thinking but I want to be fair in case I'm missing something.

Has Manning shown any interest in running a front office and what makes any if you think knowing what hot route to switch to will translate into immediately knowing how to build and run a football team?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well what made the broncos think Elway could run their team

Brendan Schaub is a former MMA fighter who has since made the transition to a successful podcaster and stand up comedian.

That doesn't mean if Mark Hunt shows up to an open mic night anyone is going to laugh.

Just because one awesome QB was able to make the transition doesn't mean another awesome QB will.

6 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

Well, here's one reason why: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/10/polian-peyton-manning-ready-gm-immediately/80179092/

Usually an endorsement from a HOF GM should carry some weight.

See, this is what I'm talking about.  I definitely respect Polians opinion on such matters and that's encouraging.

Something from that article I'd like to point out to the "well Elway did it" crowd

"Elway, though, served as CEO of the Arena Football League's Colorado Crush from 2003 to 2008 before becoming GM of the Broncos. Manning won't need that kind of training before becoming an NFL general manager, Polian said Wednesday."

That's not to say Manning "couldnt" come in right away but keep in mind 5 years of experience is still 5 years of experience.

Really, if you think about it, we are doing the same thing with coaching.  Take for example Chuck Pagano.  He was a long time defense back/linebacker coach. I think he did 1-2 years as defensive coordinator.  So projecting him to a head coach is very different.  A head coach is more like a project manager.  Often times the coordinators are calling the game.  I think that is why so many coaches miss.  Someone like Norv Turner is a good offensive coordinator, but not a very good head coach.  Same with Wade Phillips.  Its a different role.  Now, I recognize it is still in the same realm of coaching.  Projecting Peyton to a GM is a whole different ball game.  But I think he has the core ability to succeed if he has guidance.  I think he would need a guy like Polian as an advisor for at least a year.

By the way, if Polian is attached to this proposition, I'm on board.

I have no doubt Manning has the tools to be successful as a GM, my concern is that he lacks experience and I'm not sure he's even interested which everyone just seems to assume he is.

There are so called experienced GM's all over the league, and even with that, they still get canned if they do not do a good job. Look at the Browns, Rams and many other teams. Peyton's computer brain puts him ahead of other GM's especially the one we have now. 

No one is positive he would be successful just yet, but he studies the game perhaps more so than anyone ever has. So in my opinion, he would learn and get better the longer he is working in the front office. Which is why I think he'd be best served as Vice President of Football Operations, giving him a year or 2, and then seeing if he is ready as GM.

I do believe that Peyton would go into great depth at studying draft prospects so I don't think he would have near as many busts as Grigson has had.

4 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Actually, the assumptions seem to be so universal I extended it to include inanimate objects as well as organic life...

lol- nice to see ya- hope ya stick around a little longer this time- even if it's just your inorganic self. ;-)

19 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Brendan Schaub is a former MMA fighter who has since made the transition to a successful podcaster and stand up comedian.

That doesn't mean if Mark Hunt shows up to an open mic night anyone is going to laugh.

Just because one awesome QB was able to make the transition doesn't mean another awesome QB will.

Well Peyton is one of the best football minds in the history of the game and he does have a number of franchises in papa johns

I'm not defending the pro position on Manning as GM, I have serious doubts he's ready, but I think there are some things working for him.  First, don't discount the impact the Manning Passing Academy has had on his ability to assess talent.  Although mostly a QB driven academy, many other positions attend, and it is full of the very best from high school, with the very best from college also attending as counselors/mentors to the high schoolers.  The last couple decades provided Peyton a first hand look at the most talented players (mostly at QB) in the country.  They come to him - he hasn't had to get on a bus and go find them.  So in some ways, he's been scouting high school and college talent for 22 years.  This isn't draft experience.  It isn't cap experience.  But it is far more than 'he's done nothing' too. 

The other thing is timing.  None of us control that.  And when opportunity arrives, sometimes it's before we are ready.  But if the stories are accurate, and the time is now, I'd imagine he'd surround himself with the right people to be the best at the job he could be.  I think he's excelled at everything he's done - I don't see why GM would be any different.  If he gets it and fails, it won't be from lack of effort. 

Jim took a risk hiring Grigs as  a rookie GM and he may *just* be turning the corner and may have learned from his mistakes.  To think a rookie GM will not make mistakes is unrealistic.  That being said, the main hit against Grigs is that he has made so many mistakes and is now ruining Luck's career.

So what's the solution?  Why, of course, hire ANOTHER rookie and have him learn at the expense of Luck.

So why do it?  Just because he's better at being a QB and is a great study of the game?  I don't know that Peyton ever had any input on whom to draft with the Colts or Broncos?  Jim is a former GM himself and he knows what it takes and should know how to project for future GM (at least I would think).  If he rolls the dice on Peyton and it works then fine, but he's going to open himself up to a whole lot of grief if he chooses two rookie GM's in a row and they both fail to produce.

Just my .02.

58 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well what made the broncos think Elway could run their team

Well, because Elway co-owned an Arena look team from it's inception until the league suspended operations (7 years) where he was responsible for recruiting personnel, managing the salary of the players.

Then when he started talking to the Broncos about a position there, he stated he did not want to be a GM because he didn't have the experience for that and he served as the VP of Football operations while he learned the GM duties from Xanders.  Then, after a year when he showed he could handle the role of GM, then he became VP/GM of the Broncos.

So for Elways it was 9-10 years gaining the perspective and experience needed.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I'm not defending the pro position on Manning as GM, I have serious doubts he's ready, but I think there are some things working for him.  First, don't discount the impact the Manning Passing Academy has had on his ability to assess talent.  Although mostly a QB driven academy, many other positions attend, and it is full of the very best from high school, with the very best from college also attending as counselors/mentors to the high schoolers.  The last couple decades provided Peyton a first hand look at the most talented players (mostly at QB) in the country.  They come to him - he hasn't had to get on a bus and go find them.  So in some ways, he's been scouting high school and college talent for 22 years.  This isn't draft experience.  It isn't cap experience.  But it is far more than 'he's done nothing' too. 

The other thing is timing.  None of us control that.  And when opportunity arrives, sometimes it's before we are ready.  But if the stories are accurate, and the time is now, I'd imagine he'd surround himself with the right people to be the best at the job he could be.  I think he's excelled at everything he's done - I don't see why GM would be any different.  If he gets it and fails, it won't be from lack of effort. 

He's only done and excelled at two things.  1. Playing quarterback, 2. Doing TV ads.  And #1 set him up to be successful at #2.  He's never had any other real job in his life.  

I don't mean that as a dis to Peyton, but saying he's excelled at everything he's done is silly because he's only really done those two things.  

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well Peyton is one of the best football minds in the history of the game and he does have a number of franchises in papa johns

I like Peyton Manning a lot, but I'm guessing it doesn't take a genius to make money with a Papa Johns franchise in Denver after they legalized marijuana.  The munchies pretty much guarantees any food delivery place is going to do well. :)

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I like Peyton Manning a lot, but I'm guessing it doesn't take a genius to make money with a Papa Johns franchise in Denver after they legalized marijuana.  The munchies pretty much guarantees any food delivery place is going to do well. :)

Also, running a pizza joint isn't exactly rocket science, especially for a franchise operation like Pops John's where much of the nuts and bolts is already spelled out for you.  

Plus let's be honest, Manning almost certainly has someone overseeing that for him.  I doubt he suddenly developed a passion for garbage pizza even if he is living in Denver.

So, has anyone heard or seen anything from Manning expressing any desire for this kind of role?  All I can recall seeing from him about post retirement plans was he didn't want to join the media.

If I were him I'd be content to spend my millions, raise my kids, and spend time with my wife.  But then again, I'm not him so who knows what's in his heart.

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

So the reoccurring meme since most of us got fed up with Grigson's fumbling about has been that Peyton Manning is going to ride in on a white horse, sprinkle whatever magic pixie dust Bob Sanders had in 2006 and everything with be unicorns and rainbows.

As much as I'd love that to happen, I'm not sure why anyone believes that 1.  Manning has any interest in running the Colts or that 2. Being super smart about X's and O's translated into team building.

I've initially just written this off as fanboi man crushes and wishful thinking but I want to be fair in case I'm missing something.

Has Manning shown any interest in running a front office and what makes any if you think knowing what hot route to switch to will translate into immediately knowing how to build and run a football team?

The business side would be easy for him. IMO
 As for roster building, part of his being a Great student of the game was watching tape.
 You can believe he was studying the players across the line and considering how they might perform against his own players.  Assessing their abilities and assessing why they were good.
 He admits to being a big student of the draft.
  I believe having been On the Field and in the locker room all those years would give him a great ability

to judge character and motivation.
  He would have the tools to be an excellent GM.

First, let me say, it's great to see you here @Jaric.  I hope you stick around for a while this time.

Second, I agree with @jvan1973, and think that Peyton will succeed in whatever he chooses to do.  None of us really have a clue what road he'll  take.

Third all this talk about what if''s  is making me crazy. :nutz:  :hairout: 

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

my concern is that he lacks experience

I haven't concerned myself with whether he's interested. If he is really interested, I'm sure he has long-standing offers from multiple programs, and he can dip his toe in the water or dive all the way in whenever he feels he's ready.

But like you, I believe he lacks experience. There's no question about his football acumen, but running an operation is far different from being great at one role within that operation. You can be a great car salesman, but that doesn't mean you are capable of running GM. You can be an outstanding fighter pilot, that doesn't mean you'll be a good general. 

As far as we know, Manning has no experience with the nuts and bolts of running a football team. Has he ever sat in a scouting meeting, been in a draft room, worked on a draft board, analyzed trends, etc.? I don't think the technical stuff is too difficult to figure out, so I'm only moderately concerned with that.

More importantly, we have no indication that he has any ability to identify talented players. Most importantly, we have no indication that he has the ability to identify prospects and project how they'll turn out down the line -- which is the fundamental basis of scouting. 

Like others, I get the impression that Peyton Manning can do whatever he puts his mind to. And if he wants to run a team, I'd love to have him run the Colts. I just think he should gain some experience before you hand him the keys to the entire operation. Unlike Elway -- who ran his own businesses and his own team prior to joining the Broncos front office -- Manning hasn't done much of anything to prepare him to run a team. At least not that I'm aware of.

2 hours ago, Jaric said:

Manning couldn't be any worst than Grigson.

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

So, has anyone heard or seen anything from Manning expressing any desire for this kind of role?  All I can recall seeing from him about post retirement plans was he didn't want to join the media.

If I were him I'd be content to spend my millions, raise my kids, and spend time with my wife.  But then again, I'm not him so who knows what's in his heart.

I think Manning's competitive nature would make the GM role appealing or least something that he would listen to if someone came calling.  You can't kick another team's butt from the broadcast booth. 

I can almost guarantee everyone here that Peyton would never come in with the following things: rookie head coach, inexperienced execs, etc. Peyton would be most effective coming in a role where the head coach is in a position to control personnel decisions like that Gruden would be doing if he came to the Colts. The idea is that Peyton would be paired up with a very experienced head coach who would also have control of personnel. And then Peyton gains experience in that environment. 

I think it would be foolish to think that Peyton would come in guns blazing and start making all of the decisions from day 1. No one, even Peyton and definitely not Irsay, would not be that dumb to think that someone can jump into a new position for the first time and start doing work. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

There are so many GMs who are or have been worse than Grigson. 

Truth.  It can always be worse.

Plus, how much would it suck to put Manning in charge and three years down the road have the same feelings towards him we do towards Grigson?

7 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Truth.  It can always be worse.

Plus, how much would it suck to put Manning in charge and three years down the road have the same feelings towards him we do towards Grigson?

I can only speak for myself. Would.Not.Happen.EVER.

4 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I can only speak for myself. Would.Not.Happen.EVER.

Yeah he'll always have a place in the hearts of Colts fans.  Still I'd rather not find myself 3/4 years down the road here arguing why it's time I move in a new direction.

Side note, how awkward will it be for Andrew working for the guy he replaced?

6 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Yeah he'll always have a place in the hearts of Colts fans.  Still I'd rather not find myself 3/4 years down the road here arguing why it's time I move in a new direction.

Side note, how awkward will it be for Andrew working for the guy he replaced?

I don't think it would be as awkward for either of them as much as it would be for the fans, haha truth be told.