Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts could have 81m in cap space

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I keep forgetting his track record in FA. Man you can't even get excited about the offseason because of Grigson.

I have no confidence in him or Pagano without luck they would have been gone long time ago. Always love my COLTS. Hope Irsay wakes up sooner then later

2 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

I have no confidence in him or Pagano without luck they would have been gone long time ago. Always love my COLTS. Hope Irsay wakes up sooner then later

I think the years of winning under Dungy have spoiled him to the point where he thinks the Colts are above everyone else. The same issues that plague other teams don't happen to the Colts in his mind. While other teams are firing guys after Winning seasons and moving on from mediocre coaches, somehow the situation with the Colts is different. I think he believes the Colts don't have any real problems and just are the ultimate victims of misfortune or just need more time. 

I don't think you cut Langford, Gore or Robinson. Langford had an injury he rushed to quickly. I still think he will come back strong. Gore is still serviceable and can be a really good backup if the Colts pick a rb in the draft. Even though Robinson was hurt most of the time he looked like a really solid slot db. I also think they need to invest in their own players. Darius Butler can be our Mike Adam's replacement. Jack Doyle might be the top TE on the market so he won't be super cheap. I think signing Walden to a 2 year contract is a must. They also need to sign Mewhort and Donte so I don't think they will go strong on unrestricted free agents. I do believe they need to cut ties with DQ, Art Jones. If I was them try and make one big splash move and that would be Melvin engram.

Unless we can replace Robinson for 2.5 I would keep him one more year. I want more info on Langford before cutting him loose. He had a good year in 2015. We missed his 7 sacks. He will be 31 but he might be our best pass rushing DL. Who do we have to replace him? 

I don't see any reason to keep the others around. Jones can't be missed her never did anything, Jackson was on the juice can't be better without, Gore has been disappointing especially with ball security,  

27 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

The result of paying Luck that absolute insane monster contract. 

Cap hell is coming....you just wait in a few years. 

If the Colts keep missing on draft picks they shouldn't have to worry much about the cap.

Seriously though, the Colts have done a solid job of structuring the contracts for most guys. They have been able to cut guys after just a couple years without much impact on their cap. Granted this is easier to do when you don't sign the top tier players in the free agency class. (Suh, Byrd, etc)

9 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Dear Lord...

You know who would have paid him that contract?  The entire freaking league.  Every damn one of them would have done the same if given the opportunity.  

And in three years when other franchise QB's contracts are up and the salary cap increases, Luck's deal will look incredibly reasonable.  

Tis the nature of the game and position.  

On 12/26/2016 at 1:08 AM, Synthetic said:

so might as well take advantage of our good cap while we still can

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

PFF had him rated as one of the best rookie 3-4 DE when he started. He's a good run stopper and can put pressure on the pocket

PFF says a lot of things...

not saying he isnt a player with with lots of upside, but I wouldn't be cutting a good player like Langford on a D that is desperate for good players.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:40 PM, CR91 said:

Estimated cap is 60m

Release 

Robinson saves 2.5m      I don't like cutting players after 1 year on a 3-year deal.  

On 12/24/2016 at 9:40 PM, CR91 said:

Langford saves 4.25m      Had a great first year, out performed his contract.   Injured most of his 2nd year.  Not his fault.     Do NOT want to cut him.     Bad for business.

Gore saves 3.5m       Do NOT want to cut him.    He plays out his career and contributes next year before retiring and hopefully staying with the franchise as an assistant coach.

Jackson saves 5.5m      Here's my one cut.  

Jones saves 5.2m         I'd like him back on another restructured deal.    I think he'd take it.   I'd like another year from Jones as a contributer.

Cap is 81m     

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

PFF had him rated as one of the best rookie 3-4 DE when he started. He's a good run stopper and can put pressure on the pocket

I'd still rather keep Langford.  You need depth at DL and Langford was a pretty good player for us when healthy.  

And given how bad we've been with free agents, is it really likely that the money would be spent on a better player?

On 12/25/2016 at 0:40 AM, CR91 said:

Estimated cap is 60m

Release 

Robinson saves 2.5m

Langford saves 4.25m

Gore saves 3.5m

Jackson saves 5.5m

Jones saves 5.2m

Cap is 81m

As detailed above I don't see any good reason to get rid of Langford.  You need depth at DL.  Those guys need to rotate and it's almost a certainty one of them will pick up a significant injury over the course of the season.  He's certainly worth the 4.25 mil.

Gore on the other hand is also worth his 3.5 million.  Even if we pick up a good RB right away, it would be useful for him to be able to split time with someone else in his first year while he learns the ropes.  Especially in pass protection you want to give a rookie time to learn.  

3.5 mil isn't much on the cap and Gore is certainly worth that.  And honestly I think it would be valuable to have an older vet like Gore around to teach the rookie how to play the position.  

But I agree, Robinson is a sunk cost and probably won't help us much.  Jackson, especially with his suspension is a lot less valuable to the team.  Jones is always hurt and isn't really all that good when he's not hurt.  

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Don't be sentimental.

Ehh. He's still productive, he brings leadership, and his cap hit is going to be 2% of the cap. At this point, I'd keep him for next year. What can you do with $81m in cap space that you can't do with $78m?

There are arguments against him on the field -- can't turn the corner, limited as a receiver -- but I'd keep him as a veteran back. We definitely need a new lead runner, though.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

Ehh. He's still productive, he brings leadership, and his cap hit is going to be 2% of the cap. At this point, I'd keep him for next year. What can you do with $81m in cap space that you can't do with $78m?

There are arguments against him on the field -- can't turn the corner, limited as a receiver -- but I'd keep him as a veteran back. We definitely need a new lead runner, though.

This will be an interesting analysis - specific to Gore - worthy of some off-season banter after the coaching dust settles.  You already know what direction I lean....but I don't think it's black and white.

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree with cutting Langford. TBH the Colts should move on from everyone 30 or over in the offseason. Langford, Jackson, Cole, Gore, Adams, Reitz, Jones, Walden, and Mathis should all be gone. It's time to get younger. 

Oh Dear God..........

Slow down.    Take a deep breath.     Feel free to think BEFORE you write.

I just gave highest praise to another poster for my favorite post of the day.

This one gets my vote for worst post of the day.       :thmdown:      :yuk:

You get can younger by cutting some of thing.      There's no need to cut ALL OF THEM.     Older players have value too.      I'm sorry you don't know this......      (Sigh.....)

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh Dear God..........

Slow down.    Take a deep breath.     Feel free to think BEFORE you write.

I just gave highest praise to another poster for my favorite post of the day.

This one gets my vote for worst post of the day.       :thmdown:      :yuk:

You get can younger by cutting some of thing.      There's no need to cut ALL OF THEM.     Older players have value too.      I'm sorry you don't know this......      (Sigh.....)

None of them are really worth anything, plus a few have expiring contracts anyways. Mathis is washed up, Cole has been washed up, Adams gave us some solid years but his time is up, Langford is done because guys his age who get injured don't come back the same. Walden lead the team in sacks but he's 31 and an his contract is up. Gore can't even handle 20 carries a game and has lost a step. Reitz isn't good anymore. Jackson has overstayed his welcome.

The only guy you can maybe make a case for is Walden. But by keeping those guys you're wasting money and roster spots that could be used on younger and better players. We have veterans. Luck and Hilton are veterans now. Veteran doesn't have to mean 10 year vets in their 30s.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Remind me...

If Pagano goes, it's hard to imagine Gore staying. But I don't think Pagano is going anywhere.

The opportunity cost of playing Gore is starting to mount.  He turns large gains into smaller ones, and makes us easier to defend overall.  

56 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

None of them are really worth anything, plus a few have expiring contracts anyways. Mathis is washed up, Cole has been washed up, Adams gave us some solid years but his time is up, Langford is done because guys his age who get injured don't come back the same. Walden lead the team in sacks but he's 31 and an his contract is up. Gore can't even handle 20 carries a game and has lost a step. Reitz isn't good anymore. Jackson has overstayed his welcome.

The only guy you can maybe make a case for is Walden. But by keeping those guys you're wasting money and roster spots that could be used on younger and better players. We have veterans. Luck and Hilton are veterans now. Veteran doesn't have to mean 10 year vets in their 30s.

...while Vinatieri is still going :) like the Energizer bunny.

Production and role playing should help us with objective decisions on those on the wrong side of the 30s.

I think between the draft and FA you put a major emphasis on that front 7. Linebackers and D linemen is the area of emphasis. We've got a few pieces in the secondary and I will take a top level corner if available. However my main concern is that front. I will take as many great young players there as possible.