Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden 10 sacks!

RockThatBlue

24 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Jones was one of the highest rated FA DTs that off-season.  His contract was commensurate with the going rate for a premium DT.  Landry was coming off a Pro Bowl year, which the Pro bowl can be taken with a grain of salt, but the point is that he was coming off a good year.

so again I ask...who are all these players that Grigson way over paid for?  that funny feeling you have is hatred for Grigson and it's clouding your judgement. I'm not going to say that the way you feel is completely unwarranted.  Grigson's made his share of mistakes.  But overpaying for FAs has NOT been one of them.

So he gets a pass for overpaying for players like Jones, Landry, Cherlius, Herremans etc?  What great free agents has he brought in and signed that have lived up to their contract?  I'll give you Gore but who else?  Maybe Adams, maybe Walden?  If your pro Grigson that's cool but I am not.  It's not only about free agency but the draft plays a major role too.  He's made one decent trade(Vontae), the other two were awful(Sio Moore and Trent Richardson).  I personally think there are more qualified options out there for GM.  Just my opinion though. 

9 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

So he gets a pass for overpaying for players like Jones, Landry, Cherlius, Herremans etc?  What great free agents has he brought in and signed that have lived up to their contract?  I'll give you Gore but who else?  Maybe Adams, maybe Walden?  If your pro Grigson that's cool but I am not.  It's not only about free agency but the draft plays a major role too.  He's made one decent trade(Vontae), the other two were awful(Sio Moore and Trent Richardson).  I personally think there are more qualified options out there for GM.  Just my opinion though. 

That's the thing...he didn't overpay for Jones or Cherilus...they simply failed to live up to their contracts because of injury.  That's not Grigson's fault.  Landry, as I mentioned before, had a very good year the year prior to being signed.  If he was overpaid, it wasn't by much. 

I'm not exactly Pro Grigson but I do think he's learning.  My primary point though was that he does not have a history of what you're suggesting.  Almost all of the FA contracts he's handed out have been very team-friendly contrary to what you suggest.

Oh and the Sio Moore trade was awful? lol   Again, your Grigson hate is clouding your judgement.  He was traded for a 6th round pick for crying out loud. And I just love that you're complaining about the contract to Todd Herremans.  It was for 1 year and not even $2.5 mil.  How awful! lol

16 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

That's the thing...he didn't overpay for Jones or Cherilus...they simply failed to live up to their contracts because of injury.  That's not Grigson's fault.  Landry, as I mentioned before, had a very good year the year prior to being signed.  If he was overpaid, it wasn't by much. 

I'm not exactly Pro Grigson but I do think he's learning.  My primary point though was that he does not have a history of what you're suggesting.  Almost all of the FA contracts he's handed out have been very team-friendly contrary to what you suggest.

Oh and the Sio Moore trade was awful? lol   Again, your Grigson hate is clouding your judgement.  He was traded for a 6th round pick for crying out loud. And I just love that you're complaining about the contract to Todd Herremans.  It was for 1 year and not even $2.5 mil.  How awful! lol

I was never a fan of the Landry deal and think this one and the Trent deal were 2 of his worst choices to date although I understand the thinking on Trents deal. I do wish he would have been able to deal for a 2nd round pick at best but it's water under the bridge. Had no issue with the Cherilous deal, injury just caught him but he was at very solid the first year. Now we look at the deal for our injury prone Art Jones, just another run of bad luck injury to a high priced player. The one thing you can mostly all agree with, the way Grigs sets these deals up are team friendly when they don't work out mostly. The only 2 that weren't team friendly were Cherilous and Landry but everything else was pay you well and keep you if you play fine or pay well and we make it easy to cut if you don't with little cap hit to effect the team. Polians hits hurt harder when the big splash failed or the players aged quicker than the contract. Grigs is getting better. 

39 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Oh your right.  Where's Sio Moore and Herremans now?  I believe Herremans played what 3 or 4 games then got benched?  If that?  He was another one of Grigsons Philly gems!  I think many teams would love to keep their sixth round pick.  A 6th round pick is a 6th round pick, the Colts could use that.  They literally gave it to Oakland.   If he's learning why is the team going downhill?  Whats your opinion on that?  NFL analysts stat it's because the Colts have no talent around Luck?  I tend to agree.   My opinion is bad drafting, no great free agency pick ups and bad trades.  Like I said that's my opinion. 

On 12/19/2016 at 7:19 PM, Superman said:

He should, unless they sign for relatively cheap.

I agree. Butler is one of our more flexible players and is right there with Vontae Davis on tackling. Walden is our best pass rusher, but both are replaceable. We shouldn't pay more than 3 for butler or 5 for Walden IMO. 

3 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Oh your right.  Where's Sio Moore and Herremans now?  I believe Herremans played what 3 or 4 games then got benched?  If that?  He was another one of Grigsons Philly gems!  I think many teams would love to keep their sixth round pick.  A 6th round pick is a 6th round pick, the Colts could use that.  They literally gave it to Oakland.   If he's learning why is the team going downhill?  Whats your opinion on that?  NFL analysts stat it's because the Colts have no talent around Luck?  I tend to agree.   My opinion is bad drafting, no great free agency pick ups and bad trades.  Like I said that's my opinion. 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading 

I thought the topic at hand was bad contracts...

On 12/18/2016 at 11:55 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Resign Walden and draft a pass rusher to help him out.

Agree, Walden has been worth the contract and I would like to see him come back. Guys like him, that can play the run and rush the passer with some success don't grow on trees. He would be hard to replace. I think he's a prioroty

19 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Oh your right.  Where's Sio Moore and Herremans now?  I believe Herremans played what 3 or 4 games then got benched?  If that?  He was another one of Grigsons Philly gems! 

Moore is with the Arizona Cardinals and I don't care enough to look up where Herremans is now.  My point is that bellyaching over either one of them is incredibly petty and just flat out ridiculous.  No GM hits on every single transaction he makes.  NONE. 

Herremans was a one year deal paid just over $2 mil.  That deal did not in any way prevent Grigson from signing another player that he may have wanted, and at the very least it gave us a veteran depth player.

Moore played in 16 games, starting in 4 of them.  I'd say it's not very often that teams get that much or more out of a 6th round pick.  Sure the pick would have been nice to have.  But losing it to take a shot on getting a talented long-term ILB is a risk I'll take almost every day.  Yes, in the long run it didn't work out, but putting it in the same category as the Trent Richardson trade is like saying a papercut and limb amputation are the same thing.

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Moore is with the Arizona Cardinals and I don't care enough to look up where Herremans is now.  My point is that bellyaching over either one of them is incredibly petty and just flat out ridiculous.  No GM hits on every single transaction he makes.  NONE. 

Herremans was a one year deal paid just over $2 mil.  That deal did not in any way prevent Grigson from signing another player that he may have wanted, and at the very least it gave us a veteran depth player.

Moore played in 16 games, starting in 4 of them.  I'd say it's not very often that teams get that much or more out of a 6th round pick.  Sure the pick would have been nice to have.  But losing it to take a shot on getting a talented long-term ILB is a risk I'll take almost every day.  Yes, in the long run it didn't work out, but putting it in the same category as the Trent Richardson trade is like saying a papercut and limb amputation are the same thing.

Herremans is out of the league and Sio has bounced to a few different teams since leaving Indy.  I never said the Moore trade was in the same league as the Richardson trade, I was just stating it wasn't a good trade in my opinion.  That 6th round pick would have been nice to keep instead of trading it for a player who hardly performed.   I understand some bad luck can happen but I personally think the roster is getting worse as the years go on(from 2012-now).  Rather if it's free agency, trades or drafting.  That starts with the GM.  What do you think is causing the team to go downhill?  I understand Luck's injury last year but he wasn't playing all that well anyways last year.  He's been great this year and the team is 7-7 and out of the playoffs for the second straight year.  I strictly just stated an opinion(sarcastic opinion) that Walden would probably walk or get overpaid knowing the Colts GM.  I just don't think this team will get better in the future unless Grigson goes.  That's just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Oh maybe I read the topic wrong.  I thought it said Eric Walden with 10 sacks? 

And here you are talking about Sio Moore and Todd Herremans...

I think we all know that 'topic at hand' means the nature of the conversation, not the title of the thread.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

And here you are talking about Sio Moore and Todd Herremans...

I think we all know that 'topic at hand' means the nature of the conversation, not the title of the thread.

I am not the one that started it.  Read the previous posts.  I stated an opinion about Walden, the topic.  Someone replied to me that's when the other garbage got brought up.

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I never said the Moore trade was in the same league as the Richardson trade

well, the thing is, yeah you actually did...here is the exact quote:

He's made one decent trade(Vontae), the other two were awful(Sio Moore and Trent Richardson).

:)

Butler has been playing extremely well "at safety".  He's got the best anticipation and instincts in our secondary.  Our defense may never be the 85 bears but if they can generate turnovers, they will more than suffice with Luck at QB. Butler's shown the potential to create turnovers. I'd at least bring him back as a backup. Of course not overpay, but I think Butler likes it here and would probably stay before leaving unless somebody went crazy with an offer, which I doubt will happen.  

I'd love to have him mentor Green and hopefully some of his intangibles and playmaking ability could rub off...  Because Green, with his speed and fearless nature, combined with some learned Butler type ability to read and react could be a major difference maker for us. If the game slows down some for him next year, I could definitely see this happening. So keep Butler as our 3rd safety. 

Walden I like too. But I could see him leaving if somebody else throws some good money at him.  I'd keep him at the right price but most definitely wouldn't go overboard.  Wouldn't let resigning him get in the way of going after a difference maker. Say a Chandler Jones or Jamie Collins if either were available. I'd keep Art if it'd get us Chandler. But I'd rather have Collins & just release Art. 

Grigson has indeed  been very efficient with the contracts but I wouldn't mind him going after a pro bowl type of difference maker at OLB.  Especially if we can't get any of the elite edge rushers in the draft.  We need difference makers right now...