Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What needs to happen the last 2 weeks...

Coltswarriors

9 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

We had no business winning that game with three T/Os.  But the defense stepped up and stopped two redzone drives, one on the goal line, the other an INT in the end zone.  Mariota didn't have a stellar game but got us into field goal range on the final drive with no time outs.  And Succop had the kick of his life in a place he knew very well having been the old KC place kicker years ago.

Everything is pointing to the final game against Houston on Jan 1st for all the marbles.  Houston is trying to make a go of it with a backup QB who had success today.  But he'll be playing in Nashville.  The big problem is next week against JAX which is looking like the classic trap game with a fired head coach and OC.  Will the Jaguars fold or will they play to make a statement?

Hey props to the Titans today.  They won a tough tough game today in brutal conditions against a pretty good team, and they did it in exciting fashion on the road.  They had to win and they did it.  The Colts had their shot to make themselves relevant last week and they failed miserably.  Today's awesome performance is hollow right now and only infuriates me further seeing what they SHOULD have done last week.  If the Colts can't win it, and it appears grim although mathematically possible, then I would rather see the Titans win it because I think they are the better team right now and have more of a shot to do something in the playoffs and rep this division.

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

If Houston, Tenn, Colts, Miami, Buffalo all go 9-7, Colts would get 2nd wild card (Houston gets division), but that is assuming Baltimore and Denver go 8-8. If Baltimore and Denver are also 9-7 Balt gets in. If Balt is 8-8 and Denver is 9-7, Denver gets in. 

Nope, tie breaker goes to Miami. Colts wouldn't get in.

34 minutes ago, snkdy said:

I don't see it. Tennessee isn't going to lose to Jax, especially with the way Bortles is playing lately. 

My heavens Bortles is bad. The guy plays bad schoolyard ball. I also can't see a scenario where Tenn loses to them unless they lose 3 or 4 of their stars to injury during the game.

Can the Colts also get in if they win out and the Ravens and Dolphins lose out? 

I agree that the Titans/Jags game isn't happening like we wish. The Titans are to hungry. They're beatable but you can forget them blowing winnable games like certain other teams.

Sadly everything else could happen, or here's what might happen - the Colts get help, beat the Raiders then lose to the Jags once the pressure is off. 

48 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Can the Colts also get in if they win out and the Ravens and Dolphins lose out? 

I agree that the Titans/Jags game isn't happening like we wish. The Titans are to hungry. They're beatable but you can forget them blowing winnable games like certain other teams.

Sadly everything else could happen, or here's what might happen - the Colts get help, beat the Raiders then lose to the Jags once the pressure is off. 

No, Colts can not get a wild card. It's either win the division or don't get in. It'll probably be the latter.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

My heavens Bortles is bad. The guy plays bad schoolyard ball. I also can't see a scenario where Tenn loses to them unless they lose 3 or 4 of their stars to injury during the game.

Yep. You just knew that INT was coming at the end of game today. He's regressed to a disturbing extend. Maybe the new coaching staff will help him.

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Not according to yahoo playoff generator.

That is interesting!

So I was using the ESPN playoff generator and it has Miami being the 2nd wild card if that scenario happened. However, I went to the Yahoo generator and did the above scenario and it had Indianapolis as the 2nd wild card. I made sure both the ESPN and Yahoo had the exact same teams winning for the last 2 weeks and it still has different results. Colts for the Yahoo version and Dolphins for the ESPN version...

So... IDK! Maybe we can still get a wild card if that happens? Lol. Don't know which one is correct.

16 minutes ago, Coltswarriors said:

That is interesting!

So I was using the ESPN playoff generator and it has Miami being the 2nd wild card if that scenario happened. However, I went to the Yahoo generator and did the above scenario and it had Indianapolis as the 2nd wild card. I made sure both the ESPN and Yahoo had the exact same teams winning for the last 2 weeks and it still has different results. Colts for the Yahoo version and Dolphins for the ESPN version...

So... IDK! Maybe we can still get a wild card if that happens? Lol. Don't know which one is correct.

That's funny because when you said it was incorrect I went back and tried it on the espn generator. Sure enough, Miami gets it on that one. I'm surprised NFL.com doesn't have one.

3 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

We had no business winning that game with three T/Os.  But the defense stepped up and stopped two redzone drives, one on the goal line, the other an INT in the end zone.  Mariota didn't have a stellar game but got us into field goal range on the final drive with no time outs.  And Succop had the kick of his life in a place he knew very well having been the old KC place kicker years ago.

Everything is pointing to the final game against Houston on Jan 1st for all the marbles.  Houston is trying to make a go of it with a backup QB who had success today.  But he'll be playing in Nashville.  The big problem is next week against JAX which is looking like the classic trap game with a fired head coach and OC.  Will the Jaguars fold or will they play to make a statement?

I think you guys got it, congrats on a surprisingly Division Title. We did sweep you but in the end you guys will get it IMO. Great win over KC, that is a tough place to win at.

3 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

Congrats to your Titans. Assuming you make the playoffs I'll probably root for you. I like Mariota.

It's a "Hail Mary" chance that we'll get in.  We are our worst enemy, on that last lost.  Colts need to regroup next year and put together some mean hombre on that defense.  Luck, showed me some stuff today, providing he gets o-line help, and the defense step up.  But again, the Viking's QB, is regressing and turning out to be a bust, after being the Number 1 overall pick....Feel sorry for Bradford, seems like a nice guy...

15 hours ago, runthepost said:

No. Oak will be a wildcard Denver gets the tie breaker with us and then there is Miami

I know Oakland or KC gets one wild card.  What about the other wild card though?  I think Denver finishes 8-8.  Are you saying if Miami goes 9-7 and the Colts go 9-7 that Miami wins that tie breaker? 

12 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

How do they deserve it? They lost to the Colts twice. That's as bad as the Colts losing to Texans twice.  lol

Agree. Titans however are built better for the postseason, IMO. Their D is also not the same D we scored 21 unanswered against, it has changed since the bye week, hard not to notice.

Unlike the Texans, who will be one and done vs the Chiefs/Raiders in a 4 vs 5 matchup (like last year), Titans may stand a chance of winning that wild card game better, IMO.

There is only 1 winner in the NFL. (the Super Bowl winner) All other 31 teams are losers. If I had even the smallest hope that the Colts could win the Super Bowl yeah maybe, but they dont. Best thing would be close games and losing to get better drat position.

13 hours ago, Coltswarriors said:

That is interesting!

It comes down to strength of victory.  It depends on how you have the other games going - the games of the teams the Colts and Dolphins have beaten.  

I suppose there is still a wild card chance... if 4 teams lose out. lol

4 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I know Oakland or KC gets one wild card.  What about the other wild card though?  I think Denver finishes 8-8.  Are you saying if Miami goes 9-7 and the Colts go 9-7 that Miami wins that tie breaker? 

Yes. Only way the colts can get in is by winning the divison

1 hour ago, #12. said:

It comes down to strength of victory.  It depends on how you have the other games going - the games of the teams the Colts and Dolphins have beaten.  

I suppose there is still a wild card chance... if 4 teams lose out. lol

Edit:

Check that.  As far as I can tell, Yahoo is right, ESPN is wrong.  We have the Dolphins in common games, right?

Colts, 6th seed, wild card:

- Colts beat Oak and Jax

- Texans lose to Cincy and Tenn

- Ravens lose to Pitt and Cincy

- Denver loses to KC and Oak

- Miami loses to Buffalo and NE

All of that might be more likely than Jax winning one game.  Of course, if it happens, we win a trip to Pittsburgh.

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

Edit:

Check that.  As far as I can tell, Yahoo is right, ESPN is wrong.  We have the Dolphins in common games, right?

- Colts beat Oak and Jax

All of that might be more likely than Jax winning one game.  Of course, if it happens, we win a trip to Pittsburgh.

Oh good a trip to Pittsburg to get killed.

22 minutes ago, #12. said:

Edit:

- Colts beat Oak and Jax

How do you know yahoo is right for sure?  I think it'll be tough for the Colts to be Oakland but if they do it's not impossible for the Texans, Ravens, Broncos and Dolphins to lose out.  It's doubtful but I think there is more of a chance of this happening rather than Jax beating Tenn. 

Yahoo is correct. Double checked the long way, and pretty sure I got it right. 

1. Head to Head - Not applicable

2. Conference Record - both teams would end up 6-6

3. Record among common opponents - both teams 4-1

Miami wins - NYJ(2), Pitt, SD, loss to Tenn.

Colts wins - Tenn(2), SD, NYJ, loss to Pitt.

4. Strength of Victory - Currently teams Colts have beaten have 54 wins, teams Dolphins have beaten have 39 wins, and the highest that total can get to is 53.   

15 minutes ago, coltsva said:

4. Strength of Victory - Currently teams Colts have beaten have 54 wins, teams Dolphins have beaten have 39 wins, and the highest that total can get to is 53.   

Interesting.  Complicated but interesting lol. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Thanks.  So, it is strength of victory.  I gave the Colts an extra W somehow

• 2 weeks later...