Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton calls the team out

VaAllDay757

29 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I stopped reading after you said send Luck packing, but before you said that you were talking about being a hard nosed team. You're right. We're like a bunch or choir boys. We need young playmakers, but we also need guys with swag. Hard nosed, in your face type players like a Vontaze Burfict, Aqib Talib, Janoris Jenkins, etc. We need some bad boys who ball out and will do anything to win.

Your examples stink. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Not saying they should, just saying it might be a consideration IF they want that kind of team.  Tough to bring in a lot of guys like you mentioned when you are paying Luck $25M.  If they are dead set on keeping him and doing it then they need to re-structure his deal a la Tom Brady to free up cap space.

Luck isn't taking less money. He already carries enough around here. If you want to build a defense, get the right players instead of going after Landrys and Tolers of the world. Look at the Ravens. They had the number one defense before this week and they are paying Flacco 20+. 

If our scouts can't find elite parts an overhaul would make things even worse. Had four years to do it before Luck got the deal and it hasn't been done.

I don't get the TY Hilton hate for this. He has been one of our most consistent players this year (2nd in receiving in NFL, only one game under 40 yards) and deserves to be able to call people out because he is a leader of this team.

I wish he would call out the receiving group in particular. He was the only one getting it done Sunday and Moncrief, Dorsett, Allen etc. need to step it up.

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

He's an offensive captain but Luck would never demand people to play better. I.e. Ray Lewis Ed Reed PM and so on

Luck would never do it.....  PUBLICLY.

But he'd do it......    PRIVATELY.

There's a difference.       One way is not the only good way.     Both ways are effective.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I agree with Hilton as most here do.  I'm going to also say something controversial here and may get ripped for it but whatevs.  This team will NEVER be a hard-nosed team until they build the defensive side of the ball.  Never.  It may be able to be done with what we have now on offense, it may not.  It MIGHT even take a complete overhaul of the teams' personnel, yes including sending Luck packing.  He takes up a lot of the cap unfortunately.  And it's hard to build an entire stud defensive unit when 20% or so of your cap hit goes to one guy.  Again, maybe they could still do it, but I'm not so sure.  So if they ever want that tough-minded, take no prisoners type of team, they make have to consider an overhaul.  I know this isn't popular, and it isn't even a guarantee of success, but if that is the type of team people want that MAY be what is needed.  I'm not even so sure I would like that myself because I am a Luck supporter.  But.........

Dear God, please make it STOP!!

What are the magic words to make it STOP!!

Why would you think that you, sitting at home,  would know more about what the team can afford to spend on it's franchise quarterback than the team can?      You think you know better than the owner, the GM,   the staff who work on contracts?        You think you know better than all those people who do this for a living?

But you know better?

STOP!!

It's embarrassing!!

Do you read the posts from Superman?     He's the best, smartest poster here.

After a tough loss,  he point out the crazy posts by talking about the poster being caught up as being "a prisoner of the moment."

That's what you are now.    A tough loss and you're a prisoner of the moment.

The next time you have an idea that includes getting rid of Andrew Luck because we can't afford him --- stop!! -- and get a grip.

That moment will pass......

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Luck isn't taking less money. He already carries enough around here. If you want to build a defense, get the right players instead of going after Landrys and Tolers of the world. Look at the Ravens. They had the number one defense before this week and they are paying Flacco 20+. 

If our scouts can't find elite parts an overhaul would make things even worse. Had four years to do it before Luck got the deal and it hasn't been done.

The difference was the order in which it was done.  Baltimore already HAD a good defense.  Flacco came way after it was built and was a piece added.  The Colts haven't had a defense for like at least a decade.  It is much tougher to build one around your high-cap QB as opposed to adding someone who developed into one on a team with an already thriving defense.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God, please make it STOP!!

What are the magic words to make it STOP!!

Why would you think that you, sitting at home,  would know more about what the team can afford to spend on it's franchise quarterback than the team can?      You think you know better than the owner, the GM,   the staff who work on contracts?        You think you know better than all those people who do this for a living?

But you know better?

STOP!!

It's embarrassing!!

Do you read the posts from Superman?     He's the best, smartest poster here.

After a tough loss,  he point out the crazy posts by talking about the poster being caught up as being "a prisoner of the moment."

That's what you are now.    A tough loss and you're a prisoner of the moment.

The next time you have an idea that includes getting rid of Andrew Luck because we can't afford him --- stop!! -- and get a grip.

That moment will pass......

.......and you appear to be a prisoner of the moment in reading posts.  Show me ONE time where I said "We HAVE to get rid of Andrew Luck in order to build a winning team!".  Just one.  I "thought" i was being fairly careful with what I said.  Apparently not.  The problem with these online boards is nobody can tell the tone in which you are saying things and I think that confuses a lot of people such as yourself.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

The difference was the order in which it was done.  Baltimore already HAD a good defense.  Flacco came way after it was built and was a piece added.  The Colts haven't had a defense for like at least a decade.  It is much tougher to build one around your high-cap QB as opposed to adding someone who developed into one on a team with an already thriving defense.

They had a good defense but most of those players are gone now. They no longer have a Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Chris Mccalister etc. But they continue to add the pieces to keep that defense relevant year after year even through Flacco's contract. 

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

They had a good defense but most of those players are gone now. They no longer have a Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Chris Mccalister etc. But they continue to add the pieces to keep that defense relevant year after year even through Flacco's contract. 

That is true.  But this defense is so far from the Raven's i don't even know where to begin.  They had added pieces here and there over time, or more accurately "replaced" old pieces is the way I would describe it.  The Colts need to BUILD one and that is an entirely different type of "monster".

23 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

That is true.  But this defense is so far from the Raven's i don't even know where to begin.  They had added pieces here and there over time, or more accurately "replaced" old pieces is the way I would describe it.  The Colts need to BUILD one and that is an entirely different type of "monster".

And they still have the #1 defense while our defense is consistently in the bottom.  Maybe we should follow their formula.

It's only a few people on this squad who has the authority to speak up, and TY is one of them.  Dude balls out. Yeah, he has some down games but even Antonio Brown can't get 100yds a game, and that's with other weapons on the field.  Besides TY, who is the player on offense that is pulling the attention from him on pass plays?  You guys really need to appreciate talent when we have it because when that talent isn't here anymore for whatever reason, you're going to miss it.

We stink.  Point blank.  Whether we say publicly or behind closed doors, it's the same message.  Frank Gore spoke up earlier in the year, and now another leader of this team is speaking up and we should support them.  

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

And they still have the #1 defense while our defense is consistently in the bottom.  Maybe we should follow their formula.

I would love them to, but they're an offensive heavy team.  They also have no idea what they're doing in FA.  The draft has not been very kind in some areas either.  I have no idea how they will accomplish this until they replace the front office and even then they will need someone who knows what they are doing.  Replacing someone with another someone who doesn't know what they are doing either doesn't get you very far.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I would love them to, but they're an offensive heavy team.  They also have no idea what they're doing in FA.  The draft has not been very kind in some areas either.  I have no idea how they will accomplish this until they replace the front office and even then they will need someone who knows what they are doing.  Replacing someone with another someone who doesn't know what they are doing either doesn't get you very far.

Indeed!  I am with blowing everything up and starting fresh.  Keep the talent that is worth keeping, and cut everything else and start from the bottom.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

.......and you appear to be a prisoner of the moment in reading posts.  Show me ONE time where I said "We HAVE to get rid of Andrew Luck in order to build a winning team!".  Just one.  I "thought" i was being fairly careful with what I said.  Apparently not.  The problem with these online boards is nobody can tell the tone in which you are saying things and I think that confuses a lot of people such as yourself.

Here's what you wrote....    I'm cutting and pasting...

It MIGHT even take a complete overhaul of the teams' personnel, yes including sending Luck packing.   He takes up a lot of the cap unfortunately.  And it's hard to build an entire stud defensive unit when 20% or so of your cap hit goes to one guy.

Those are your words,  not mine.     I didn't paraphrase.     I didn't translate.     I literally cut and pasted your words.

You need to own this.      I didn't mis-read this.      This is not my mistake.      This is your view.

If you've have a change of heart --- fine.      We all get those.     But my read of your words is correct.    This is not a misunderstanding on my part.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's what you wrote....    I'm cutting and pasting...

It MIGHT even take a complete overhaul of the teams' personnel, yes including sending Luck packing.   He takes up a lot of the cap unfortunately.  And it's hard to build an entire stud defensive unit when 20% or so of your cap hit goes to one guy.

Those are your words,  not mine.     I didn't paraphrase.     I didn't translate.     I literally cut and pasted your words.

You need to own this.      I didn't mis-read this.      This is not my mistake.      This is your view.

If you've have a change of heart --- fine.      We all get those.     But my read of your words is correct.    This is not a misunderstanding on my part.

OK.  I might have a different understanding of the word "might" than you do.  That is why I capitalized it.  According to Dictionary.com, when used as a verb it "is used to express possibility".  I was trying to convey that.  I didn't mean to make that idea sound so "final", just throwing out a possibility was all.  Again, sometimes things on message boards don't come across the way you intend them.  If I misled you I apologize.  And if I change my mind i will surely tell you.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

OK.  I might have a different understanding of the word "might" than you do.  That is why I capitalized it.  According to Dictionary.com, when used as a verb it "is used to express possibility".  I was trying to convey that.  I didn't mean to make that idea sound so "final", just throwing out a possibility was all.  Again, sometimes things on message boards don't come across the way you intend them.  If I misled you I apologize.  And if I change my mind i will surely tell you.

@AZColt11 I see where you were coming from.  The concept in theory is sound but the NFL has a major problem, there are not 32 men (in the world it seems) who are competent at playing QB.  No matter all the warts on Luck's game, he is a very competent QB.

So in theory you get rid of him and get a crazy haul of draft picks and build the cupboard up.  It makes sense and it's logical.  The point where you can't come full circle is that you can only be so good w/o a QB.  See Houston.  Imagine if we drafted as good (or lucky depending on how you see it) as Houston.  An all time defensive talent.  Another perennial pro bowl caliber defensive talent and wideout.  A sold O-line.  A stud D-line.  Great mix of LB picks.  A stand out secondary.  A nice running game.  All of that but no QB.  We still be a 8-8 +/- 2 wins team.  And there is no way you can bet that we'd get another QB in the draft.

You can build a team with the QB taking up 20% of the cap.  You just HAVE to draft well.  In the four seasons we drafted players while Luck was on the roster two we have nothing to show for, one has not played a big role yet and the last one is a rookie C who seems promising.  That can't happen.  Going 25% on 1st rounders.  And then going to the second round it's not like we have any stand outs there as well.  You just have to hit on some of these picks and honestly we haven't on one.  The guys who look like they may be hits Anderson, Geathers, Moncrief, etc. can't stay healthy.  So that's an overall miss.  You just can't win that way.

What TY said reflects the bigger issue of lack of accountability within the team. Players that continue to underperform or make dumb mistakes consistently continue to get playing time.

I've said it before but the most underrated reason why this team is where its at is because of lack of accountable leadership amongst the players. Players like Bethea, Wayne or even Freeman are no longer on the team and its showing in more than one way.

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

That's honestly one too many. 

3 hours ago, Restored said:

What TY said reflects the bigger issue of lack of accountability within the team. Players that continue to underperform or make dumb mistakes consistently continue to get playing time.

I've said it before but the most underrated reason why this team is where its at is because of lack of accountable leadership amongst the players. Players like Bethea, Wayne or even Freeman are no longer on the team and its showing in more than one way.

Ive been saying this as well.. No true leadership and wish luck would go Peyton on players sometimes 

22 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Good for him, but T.Y. Lays down a lot of the time after he catches the ball so he doesn't get hit. 

Image result for irony meme

He's 5'9" - 180 pounds and he's almost as crucial as Luck is on offense.  I look at TY laying down or going out of bounds like I look at Luck's sliding.  It's the best decision for our franchise.  

Guy is #2 in receiving yards and is on pace for a career year.  Despite the fact that he often draws double teams.  (To be fair pretty much everyone at the top 10 of receiving yards often draws double teams.)

53 minutes ago, achcolts said:

Ive been saying this as well.. No true leadership and wish luck would go Peyton on players sometimes 

Luck's willing to lead by example but he's not willing to get on someone's case or be critical of them.  

We need that aspect to come from someone.  It doesn't necessarily have to come from Luck if that's not in his personality.  But it needs to come from someone.  

It seems like most of our best players are the "good soldier" type guys.  They will do whatever you ask of them and everything but they don't want to get in someone's face.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He's 5'9" - 180 pounds and he's almost as crucial as Luck is on offense.  I look at TY laying down or going out of bounds like I look at Luck's sliding.  It's the best decision for our franchise.  

Guy is #2 in receiving yards and is on pace for a career year.  Despite the fact that he often draws double teams.  (To be fair pretty much everyone at the top 10 of receiving yards often draws double teams.)

Yeah, I know why he does it. It's just ironic that he says the team lays down (figuratively) and that's what he does (physically). 

46 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yeah, I know why he does it. It's just ironic that he says the team lays down (figuratively) and that's what he does (physically). 

True. . . he does that sometimes.  He's also taken some monster hits on his tiny frame, held onto the ball and not missed a start.

He puts his body on the line when he needs to.  

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

This is why you draft o-line early. This should have been the case for the previous drafts. I'm getting really tired of hearing about the worthiness of o-line talent in the first round. Who gives a crap to be completely honest? After Andrew luck was drafted in 2012, an offensive lineman himself, turned GM should know how hard it is to be successful without an o-line. We as colts fans have known this since 2006. Without an o-line the colts can go anywhere. I'm getting really tired of hearing defense year in and year out, when without a defensive line, the CBs can't cover nor can the safeties be what they were supposed to be. Nor can the linebackers get into the backfield.

THE OLDEST FACT ABOUT FOOTBALL = YOU WIN GAMES IN THE TRENCHES. I have heard this my entire life, yet I watch a PROFESSIONAL General Manager continue to ignore both offensive line, AND defensive line. 

want an elite offense? You have to draft o-line early. Rounds 1 and 2. Lets be honest. Before grigson our only quality offensive lineman was castanzo. Obviously the line was in need of a complete rebuild, so why would anyone in their right mind draft second string offensive lineman? Especially a former lineman? Maybe because he wasn't a first string offensive lineman himself and wanted to return to the glory days when he wanted to start but "never got a true chance". Our o-line gets blown off the ball more often than not. Same for d-line. 

Want an elite defense? Then you have to draft D-line early. In the first 3 rounds. 

Having elite skill positions like - WR, RB, TE, S, CB, LB, is really an unneeded luxury. And it's easier to become elite at those positions, than it is for lineman to learn and become elite. 

its easier to find elite skilled position players in the later rounds (4-7) than it is to find elite lineman for O or D in the later rounds.

the concept of what you need to be elite is easier than our front office is making it to be.

im just curious for anyone reading this. How many late round lineman are in the NFL as starters?

And how many late round skill position players are starters?

FIRE THE COACHING STAFF PLEASE. 

21 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Before grigson our only quality offensive lineman was castanzo. Obviously the line was in need of a complete rebuild, so why would anyone in their right mind draft second string offensive lineman? Especially a former lineman? Maybe because he wasn't a first string offensive lineman himself and wanted to return to the glory days when he wanted to start but "never got a true chance". Our o-line gets blown off the ball more often than not. Same for d-line. 

This is an awesomely flawed concept. Laughably ridiculous at its core.

7 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

No need to apologize....   and I don't feel misled.

This is an internet fan message board.     Our favorite team is doing poorly and emotions are running high --- mine too.

We all want a better team.     But there are many different roads to success.    I'm talking about who you keep and who you fire....    I'm talking about which players we keep and who we cut and who we acquire.

Lots of possibilities.....    

I know people are unhappy here,   me too....     but our journey is longer than we'd like.....

Sucks for us,  but there it is...

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Luck's willing to lead by example but he's not willing to get on someone's case or be critical of them.  

We need that aspect to come from someone.  It doesn't necessarily have to come from Luck if that's not in his personality.  But it needs to come from someone.  

It seems like most of our best players are the "good soldier" type guys.  They will do whatever you ask of them and everything but they don't want to get in someone's face.  

yep. and to that note,i m actually glad somebody (TY) said something. this is something thats been annoying me since reggie left, theres no true leadership and it doesnt look like theres accountability for anything. i think i saw luck get frustrated (with TY of all people too) in the jets game when he had a drop i think. need more of that to the players that need it.

ive also asked on the forum before (or reddit, forgot), if anyone notices something with the players both on the field and sideline. theres barely any emotion/energy and it doesnt seem like theres chemistry with the team, no "family" type of vibe like was felt in lucks first few seasons. when they're on the sideline, they all have blank lost looks, and on the field its like they arent focused and still lost. something has to have been up this season in the lockerroom hands down. im not buying this talent thing, we can hang with any team on any given day, it is a MENTAL/CULTURAL problem at this point.

21 hours ago, AndyLuck said:

TY, the 2nd best player on this team imo, steps up and says something and you guys get mad at him? I don't understand this fan base anymore

Just understand that the negative reaction to Hilton's comments is a perfect demonstration of why people call our fan base soft.