Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we put Andrew on I.R.?

AlanNC

The the shoulder problem we have nothing to gain this year by playing him hurt.  The season is over so I think it would be good to shut him down.  At this point finishing 6-10 will only good thing that could happen after such an disappointing year. I know Irsay will not fire anyone after this season and we can only hope the someone is wise enough to use the draft all for defence.  Notice I didn't call Grigson by name because I know he is not wise.  Let's shut Andrew down.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

No. Actually, we have not been eliminated...

I think you're obligated to do your best until you are eliminated

You don't throw games..and benching Luck when he could play is too close to throwing the game for me.

We're eliminated. Not technically, but in reality. We were eliminated a long time ago.

I sort of agree.  We're not mathematically out of it, but c'mon, we need a miracle to happen and really if you are relying on others to lose and you're in possibly the worst division in football, you don't belong anyway.  It's not like we're in the AFC West and we are 9-4 and another team is just killing it at 10-2.  we're under friggin .500 and in the worst division there is!

Shut him down, get his friggin shoulder fixed, and start over with new management next year and hope for a great draft and "grand opening" for the new business.

Say what you want about Pagano's lack of coaching ability (I think he's fine but that is the general consensus around here), he is not the type of coach or person to just lay down and accept defeat.

Forget draft position. If there's still a chance this team isn't going to give up.

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No. Actually, we have not been eliminated...

I think you're obligated to do your best until you are eliminated

You don't throw games..and benching Luck when he could play is too close to throwing the game for me.

That's just a crazy *ic thing to do. If Luck played lights out and we beat Minn and Oak on the road and then finish with a home win over the Jags. We would the need Houston to lose at home to Cinn and on the road at Tenn. Then would just need Tenn to use on the road vs KC. Not really all that impossible that you would throw the season away to probably  draft about 3-4 spots over where we will end up by trying to win.

Sad, Luck is starting to be damaged goods here withe the below average O-Line Grigs put in place....Again, Irsay need to get rid of this guy,, or Luck will be aching all his life w/Arthritis and all those ailments that he's going to get being banged up, weekend, weekout....

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is he hurt? 

This is a really ridiculous thread.

I respect your opinion on here Superman, but I must respectfully disagree for two reasons.  For one, Luck has repeatedly been listed on the injury report for a "shoulder", which indicates something is wrong.  And with the hits he has taken this year who could be surprised?    The Colts certainly aren't going to tell us anything, but history has told us that it's usually more serious than they let on.  And two, if you REALLY believe you are going to win out, including at Minny and at Oakland, then yeah don't shut him down.  Otherwise, in the real world, it does no good to let him keep getting beaten up when it isn't going to help you.  Sort of like the end of a blowout game.  Sure, there is a chance you could score a quick touchdown, get an onside kick, score another quick touchdown, then get a pick six for the winning touchdown.  But what are the odds?

I don't know.  I suppose if they feel they can still get it then whatever.  I just don't see it, and if I'm alone in that, then it's on me I guess.  Could be a done deal after next week anyway.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I respect your opinion on here Superman, but I must respectfully disagree for two reasons.  For one, Luck has repeatedly been listed on the injury report for a "shoulder", which indicates something is wrong.  And with the hits he has taken this year who could be surprised?    The Colts certainly aren't going to tell us anything, but history has told us that it's usually more serious than they let on.  And two, if you REALLY believe you are going to win out, including at Minny and at Oakland, then yeah don't shut him down.  Otherwise, in the real world, it does no good to let him keep getting beaten up when it isn't going to help you.  Sort of like the end of a blowout game.  Sure, there is a chance you could score a quick touchdown, get an onside kick, score another quick touchdown, then get a pick six for the winning touchdown.  But what are the odds?

I don't know.  I suppose if they feel they can still get it then whatever.  I just don't see it, and if I'm alone in that, then it's on me I guess.  Could be a done deal after next week anyway.

If I were running the Colts, I wouldn't even entertain something like this. You play to win the game, period. Everyone who is healthy should be on the field, playing to win, until the season is over. 

If Luck is hurt and can't get back on the field within the next three weeks, then I'd put him on IR. Other than that, this isn't even a conversation. Doesn't matter whether the division is still in play. Shutting players down because you're eliminated is a loser mentality. I'd sooner fire the GM and entire coaching staff... not saying that's not an option at this point.

Also, if I were running the Colts, they wouldn't be running this offense, and Luck likely wouldn't be getting hit as much. But in fairness, I say that from my couch, as someone who has never run a team or coached an offense.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

If I were running the Colts, I wouldn't even entertain something like this. You play to win the game, period. Everyone who is healthy should be on the field, playing to win, until the season is over. 

If Luck is hurt and can't get back on the field within the next three weeks, then I'd put him on IR. Other than that, this isn't even a conversation. Doesn't matter whether the division is still in play. Shutting players down because you're eliminated is a loser mentality. I'd sooner fire the GM and entire coaching staff... not saying that's not an option at this point.

Also, if I were running the Colts, they wouldn't be running this offense, and Luck likely wouldn't be getting hit as much. But in fairness, I say that from my couch, as someone who has never run a team or coached an offense.

I see your points, and I respect them.  I do however propose one scenario for you and how you would feel if it happened?  Say we are eliminated after next week in Minnesota (hypothetical I know but bare with me).  We go to Oakland the next week, Luck is playing, and Mack blows past Reitz and bends Luck like a pretzel.  God forbid, but he takes a significant injury (I would rather not be specific for obvious reasons).  He has to have surgery and may not be ready for the regular season 2017.  Do you feel any differently at that point or still feel the same and whatever happens happens, even in a "meaningless to 2016" game?  If the same thing happened to say Tolzien do you still feel the same?

BTW, I am certainly no more qualified than anybody else here to critique, yet that is what we fans do, right?

53 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We're eliminated. Not technically, but in reality. We were eliminated a long time ago.

To me, in the NFL,  you have an obligation to play your best guys until you are mathematically eliminated.

You owe it to your fans and to the other teams

Plus...if we win at Minnesota next week, .and Houston loses to Jacksonville (they beat them 24-21 earlier)

..and the Titans lose at Kansas City (and Marc Mariota completed 6 passes today)  we're tied for first again..

we were NOT eliminated Sunday

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I absolutely HATE having to be negative here but after this titanic loss I can't find any other way to be.  It was just that disappointing that I simply can't find any silver lining here.  At all.  Anybody got anything to help?  I'm open.

The ONLY silver lining today is that no one appeared to be hurt and we have a chance to win at Minnesota next week.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

To me, in the NFL,  you have an obligation to play your best guys until you are mathematically eliminated.

You owe it to your fans and to the other teams

Plus...if we win at Minnesota next week, .and Houston loses to Jacksonville (they beat them 24-21 earlier)

..and the Titans lose at Kansas City (and Marc Mariota completed 6 passes today)  we're tied for first again..

we were NOT eliminated Sunday

Yeah you are technically right.  It just seems as though the Colts, and they brought it on themselves, just made that hill to climb a full-on mountain.  Best of luck to them.

13 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I see your points, and I respect them.  I do however propose one scenario for you and how you would feel if it happened?  Say we are eliminated after next week in Minnesota (hypothetical I know but bare with me).  We go to Oakland the next week, Luck is playing, and Mack blows past Reitz and bends Luck like a pretzel.  God forbid, but he takes a significant injury (I would rather not be specific for obvious reasons).  He has to have surgery and may not be ready for the regular season 2017.  Do you feel any differently at that point or still feel the same and whatever happens happens, even in a "meaningless to 2016" game?  If the same thing happened to say Tolzien do you still feel the same?

This being an entirely hypothetical scenario, I can say that my mind wouldn't change at all. 

You want to run scared because the season hasn't gone well, and I have a serious problem with that approach. It's one of the few things that could potentially cost a team my support. 

Before I shut Luck down, I'd fire the OC.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

This being an entirely hypothetical scenario, I can say that my mind wouldn't change at all. 

You want to run scared because the season hasn't gone well, and I have a serious problem with that approach. It's one of the few things that could potentially cost a team my support. 

Before I shut Luck down, I'd fire the OC.

Gotcha.  It's an opinion, a philosophy, etc.  But I know one thing, if that were to happen, I would be EXTREMELY * in that scenario, especially if he would miss time in the next season.

9 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Gotcha.  It's an opinion, a philosophy, etc.  But I know one thing, if that were to happen, I would be EXTREMELY * in that scenario, especially if he would miss time in the next season.

Hes not injured...you are acting like he is.  and whats to say we build the best D in one offseason and Luck goes on IR for the entire season?  your acting like you are promised a starting QB. If 2015 taught us anything, its that even Luck can miss time.

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Hes not injured...you are acting like he is.  and whats to say we build the best D in one offseason and Luck goes on IR for the entire season?  your acting like you are promised a starting QB. If 2015 taught us anything, its that even Luck can miss time.

I think you misunderstood.  I said *IF* he were to be injured, such as in a game that had no relevant meaning to 2016's playoff chances.  Not that he was injured now, although I think there is some jury still out on that shoulder.  I'm talking about if he were to sustain a significant injury that would cause him to miss time into the 2017 season.  Again, hypothetical, but certainly has as much chance to happen as this team does to make the playoffs in 2016!

24 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

If "IF" were a fifth, we'd all be drunk, so...

I would lay blame on the coaches, not for playing their QB, but for running an offense that leaves the QB so vulnerable. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If "IF" were a fifth, we'd all be drunk, so...

I would lay blame on the coaches, not for playing their QB, but for running an offense that leaves the QB so vulnerable. 

Touche' and that is a completely different and unfixable topic, at least in 2016.  At this point, they got what they got, and that aint a lot!  We can only hope 2017 is "different".

20 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Touche' and that is a completely different and unfixable topic, at least in 2016.  At this point, they got what they got, and that aint a lot!  We can only hope 2017 is "different".

What's so frustrating is that this isn't unfixable at all. It's actually pretty easy to fix, IMO. This staff just won't make these basic changes, which bothers me more than any of the personnel issues.