Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think that we'd currently be better off if....

Dustin

36 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I said this to NFLfan, who is a huge Vikings fan, I have no idea what took Zimmer so long to get a head coaching job. I've always respected his defensive prowess & when you listen to the man speak, he knows how to motive men to follow him, how to neutralize opposing offenses, & when he speaks I go "Darn, I would run thru a wall if Mike asked me to. Translation: He has quiet confidence oozing thru his pores, is extremely knowledgable when it comes to making QBs fear his pass rush, & I just like the guy. 

I read an article that he didn't interview well.  Teams asked who he would hire on his staff if he were to get a head coaching position and he wouldn't give a clear answer.  They thought he might not want to name names, so they asked what kind of direction/plan he would have in mind and he still didn't give a clear answer.  Not giving clear answers to questions will rub interviewers the wrong way

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I just wish that 1 of the 2 was experienced when they were hired in 2012. 

Agreed. I think Irsay did it right hiring a proven guy in Polian the first time around back before the 1998 draft. Just a personal opinion but Irsay's decision to hire two unknown's at a time when you had the best opening in pro football was just him trying to prove to the world the genius of Jim Irsay. That may also explain why both men got an extension when just about everyone thinks they should have been fired last summer.

All along I've echoed the sentiments of bringing a young, energetic coach (McDaniel) as some of you agree.  Why not? He's paid his dues, he's learned from the best, he could bring an instant winner with his football mind and experience under Bellichick. I would say, give him a chance, almost five years and no Super Bowl under these two(Pags/Grigs)....not a chance of winning anytime soon, especially this year....

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I read an article that he didn't interview well.  Teams asked who he would hire on his staff if he were to get a head coaching position and he wouldn't give a clear answer.  They thought he might not want to name names, so they asked what kind of direction/plan he would have in mind and he still didn't give a clear answer.  Not giving clear answers to questions will rub interviewers the wrong way

Interviews are a tough nut to crack sometimes because some folks stumble thru the screening process & do better in the locker room or after a boss took a chance on them as opposed to trivial formalities or hoops candidates must jump thru first. It's like a guy or gal who excels in their field, but has limited social skills or can't stroke the egos of others very well. 

It's like me. I suck on natl. tests, but if you enroll in a class directly, I do perfectly fine. 

I just have a hard time believing that owners couldn't figure out how savvy he was on defense. It's not like Zimmer couldn't explain formations & blitzes. Usually, intelligence shines through even if the interviewee can't articulate the desired response.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback 21. 

On 11/27/2016 at 7:31 PM, Superman said:

There were no good hires that year. In fact, 8 teams changed coaches, but only Pagano and Fisher remain. Only Pagano got a team to the playoffs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I feel like every single poster should be made to read Superman's post and sign an affidavit swearing that they read it and understand it.

8 teams went out and hired new coaches.     Only Chuck Pagano has gotten his team to the playoffs!

Hello?!?        Is anyone home?!?          Sometimes I wonder........

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not giving clear answers to questions will rub interviewers the wrong way

You wanna know what's funny about that sentence? Humorous not meant to be condescending in any way...

Rex Ryan is very entertaining at Press Conferences with no rings to show for it while Bill Belichick tells you nothing & has 6 SB rings [2 with the NY Giants as DC & 4 as HC in Massachusetts]. 

I know; I know the topic revolves around Zimmer & the Raiders GM. I just mean that smooth talkers don't always win & disciplinary coaches with limited public access can become legends. Look at Chuck Noll man. 

Off topic: Hey Carlos Danger, over Thanksgiving break, I watched a behind the scenes political documentary on the former Congressman who used your same username to run for an unsuccessful campaign for Mayor in the big apple back in 2011. 

I don't get fools like that. Anthony W. had a pretty wife, a healthy child, was connected to the high profile players in the federal government, & he threw it all away for inappropriate pictures & lewd texting on his blackberry. 

Train wrecks always fascinate me for some reason. They appeal to me because no matter how boring & mundane our daily lives get; we can take comfort in the notion that we didn't destroy a lavish future over a lack of impulse control & stupidity I guess. I'm still debating if I wanna write up a film review of it or not. 

I'm leaning toward writing about it since Anthony was so aware of his own self destructive behavior, knew the agony it caused his wife, & just couldn't stop engaging in such reckless behavior. It's a mesmerizing tale of addiction, arrogance, self loathing, & spiraling out of control over justifying his actions & thinking NY citizens could get past this scandal not once, but twice in the arena of public opinion. 

Okay, back on topic. My apologies for the detour. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I feel like every single poster should be made to read Superman's post and sign an affidavit swearing that they read it and understand it.

8 teams went out and hired new coaches.     Only Chuck Pagano has gotten his team to the playoffs!

Ha!  None of them had Luck!

While I enjoy the question and the answers some have given, and the current successfulness of these men cannot be overlooked, I can't say with any certainty that we would be better. Both the Vikings and the Raiders have young stars on both sides of the ball, but there is no way to tell if the Colts would have been in position to draft these players with their success in riding Luck the past few years. Both the Raiders and Vikings weren't very successful when Zimmer and Mckenzie were hired, putting them in position to draft these game-changing players. I cannot say with certainty that Mckenzie/Zimmer would be better than Grigson/Pagano, but it would definitely be an interesting change and would certainly lead to a different play style in Indy.

On 11/27/2016 at 8:53 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I think we would have been calling for them to be fired by this point too because I don't think they would have had the same success out of the gate.

Im not so sure about that. We all knew the team needed to be rebuilt and that it could take some time. Maybe they would have come in, had a couple of down seasons but built the team into a juggernaut today instead of winning early and rebuilding again after only 4 years. 

Still could have hired Chuck but brought in McKenzie instead of Grigson. 

I think next year is a good base marker to make strong judements on this staff.  Draft should be and needs to be really good and there's money in the cupboard for a good free agent or two.  If Chud doesn't go anywhere we should be in year 2 of our offensive system and year two of our defensive systems under Monachino. Offensive line should be improved assuming Clark is who they thought he was and Haeg hits the weight room and gets stronger. I'd be interested to see what they do with Costanzo. Wouldn't be surprised if he was traded or some other type of move.  Wouldn't surprise me if they started Haeg and Clark on the outside.  Picking up an additional OL in the draft on the interior wouldn't shock me as well.    IF we are not derailed by injuries then we should be well above a 5-6 record at this point next year. If we are at this same point or worse next year then that's when I think you look at some people losing there jobs.

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

CD, 

You are a well respected football mind on the forum naturally & for good reason. But, I beg to differ with you on this post 100% Jim Caldwell is not a good HC. Matt Stafford & the Lions will probably win the NFC North sure & Jim did improve Matthew's throwing motion & poise in the pocket. However, 1 magical season in Detroit & a lucky one with the Ravens where he won a SB ring during 2012 is a far cry from letting Jim run football operations on the field. 

Let's not go crazy alright...Also in 2009, Peyton Manning won a lot of games late in the 4th QTR. It's not like Jim drew up mastermind plays. Just saying. 

Am I happy for Jim as a former Colt coach? Sure. Is he a wizard on game day? Hades no. 

So, he has been a major cog in the machine that took three teams to the SB (Asst HC, HC and OC) with two SB wins and he has another team playing well (even though many people thought the team would implode after getting rid of their best DT and then thought it would implode after their best WR retired)  in a tough division, despite all of that he is not a good coach?  How does that make any sense?

Also, it's not a head coach's job to draw up mastermind plays, so saying he doesn't do that is not really a knock on his head coaching abilities.

4 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Im not so sure about that. We all knew the team needed to be rebuilt and that it could take some time. Maybe they would have come in, had a couple of down seasons but built the team into a juggernaut today instead of winning early and rebuilding again after only 4 years. 

Still could have hired Chuck but brought in McKenzie instead of Grigson. 

It took until now for the Raiders to become good.  Since some people here can't go a loss without calling for Chuck and or Grigson to be fired I don't think people here would have put up with four rebuilding seasons before becoming a playoff team again.  

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Zimmer is also a great story.     But has Minnesota really done all that much?    Started off 5-0 and people were talking about them in the Super Bowl.       What has happened since?

It doesn't help that almost their entire O-line is injured. They started the season fairly deep along the line, but some positions are into the 3rd or 4th guy, pulling in FA's off the street just to field a line. We know all about how a bad line impacts an otherwise talented team.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

It took until now for the Raiders to become good.  Since some people here can't go a loss without calling for Chuck and or Grigson to be fired I don't think people here would have put up with four rebuilding seasons before becoming a playoff team again.  

It does not help with KC and Den in that division. We have a not so good division compared to that

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Luck would've had a Rookie year like Carr had, some people on here would've been calling him a bust haha 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A bad division helps as well. 

10 minutes ago, runthepost said:

They basically had the same year statistics wise. Passer rating was about the same. Luck 2 more TDs Carr 6 less picks

Luck threw for 1100 Yards more and he took a 2-14 team to 11-5, Carr went 3-13 so no they didn't. Had Luck went 3-13 a lot of people would've been disgusted and wished we would've not get rid of Peyton.

Just now, runthepost said:

I was looking at TDs and passer rating plus turnovers. 

Well, many on here say all that matters is Wins/Losses. We gave away 3 games this season and gift wrapped Houston a win but the haters don't care, don't want to hear it and just say look at our record. I haven't been on these teams blogs = Panthers and Cardinals but I wonder if their fans think Cam stinks and Ron should be fired? or Arians should be fired? I highly I doubt it and we have a better record than both of those teams. Those teams were picked to make the SB by a huge portion of the media and fans.

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I was looking at TDs and passer rating plus turnovers. 

You are correct looking at that but team success is huge = wins and Andrew threw for way more Yards with Great comebacks as well. If the Colts would've went 3-13 after Luck took over Peyton he would've been bashed bigtime by media and fans.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:51 PM, Dustin said:

Instead of hiring Grigson and Pagano in 2012, Irsay went with the other two options that he interviewed: Reggie Mckenzie  and Mike Zimmer. 

Mckenzie is the GM of the Raiders who currently try boast the best record in the AFC and Mike Zimmer is the HC of the Vikings who made the playoffs last season and have one of the leagues best defensive units. 

Better? Worse? we probably wouldn't have guys like TY and Moncrief in this scenario. 

Better.

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

It does not help with KC and Den in that division. We have a not so good division compared to that

Here is Raiders records since 2012

2012 4-12

2013 4-12

2014 3-13

2015 7-9

That singles more problems than just having two other good teams in your division.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here is Raiders records since 2012

2012 4-12

2013 4-12

2014 3-13

2015 7-9

That singles more problems than just having two other good teams in your division.

It took Carr a while to get Good, Andrew was Very Good from day 1. One thing Oakland has done is they have built a Good Line around Carr. We have yet to do that but I do like Kelly.

As great as Polian was, he didn't fix Peyton's Oline himself.  Tobin ( I believe) drafted Tarik and Adam Meadows in the 1st and 2nd rounds in 1997.  As a rookie, Peyton lines up in 1998 with an All Pro Tackle and a long time starter, Meadows.  Saturday is a UFA in 1999.  There is his center.  Polian then drafts Diem and Demulling in 2001 to round out the cast.   So, it took someone else's help plus 4 years to get the Oline fixed (5 years total).  When Grigson started, what was Luck's Oline?  Satele, Castonzo, Reitz, Justice, McGlynn. I believe Grigson grabbed 2 of those just to field a line.   What I'm saying is that Grigson didn't get much help.  Now, he hasn't addressed it like we want until recently, but it looks like in year 5 his Oline will probably be set, just not mature.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So, he has been a major cog in the machine that took three teams to the SB (Asst HC, HC and OC) with two SB wins and he has another team playing well (even though many people thought the team would implode after getting rid of their best DT and then thought it would implode after their best WR retired)  in a tough division, despite all of that he is not a good coach?  How does that make any sense?

Also, it's not a head coach's job to draw up mastermind plays, so saying he doesn't do that is not really a knock on his head coaching abilities.

Caldwell was the OC in Baltimore so let's not pretend he played no role in helping Flacco & his offense from moving the ball shall we. He also improved Stafford's throwing motion so he presumably broke down film on Matthew's weakness's correct? So, let's not act like Jim Caldwell, who picked his own coordinators, had no control over the Lions schemes shall we. 

Both Peyton Manning & Joe Flacco made Jim look better than he actually is. Who are you kidding? 

There's no crime in being lucky meaning having Manning & Flacco save Caldwell's bacon & actually Tony Dungy for being instrumental in letting Jim succeed him in INDY &  speaking on behalf of Caldwell to get Caldwell hired in Detroit. 

Just please don't act like Jim is a football genius. That is completely absurd IMO. 

Do you remember the difficulty Caldwell had in making sideline adjustments after halftime in INDY? I sure do. He was God awful. Now, I'm sure he's improved a little bit in this area since working in Motown, but let's not throw the man a parade okay. 

Wait. Are you saying the world expected Detroit to implode after  Megatron retired? I never thought that. Look, Jim deserves credit for their 7-4 record by virtue of being on the sidelines this yr alone & more black coaches need to hired yes for HC vacancies sure. 

I don't have anything against Caldwell personally. I just think he's overrated that's all. He deserves to remain there & I would fire Jeff Fisher & Marvin Lewis as guys that need to go ASAP in LA & Ohio. 

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Caldwell was the OC in Baltimore so let's not pretend he played no role in helping Flacco & his offense from moving the ball shall we. He also improved Stafford's throwing motion so he presumably broke down film on Matthew's weakness's correct? So, let's not act like Jim Caldwell, who picked his own coordinators, had no control over the Lions schemes shall we. 

Both Peyton Manning & Joe Flacco made Jim look better than he actually is. Who are you kidding? 

There's no crime in being lucky meaning having Manning & Flacco save Caldwell's bacon & actually Tony Dungy for being instrumental in letting Jim succeed him in INDY &  speaking on behalf of Caldwell to get Caldwell hired in Detroit. 

Just please don't act like Jim is a football genius. That is completely absurd IMO. 

Do you remember the difficulty Caldwell had in making sideline adjustments after halftime in INDY? I sure do. He was God awful. Now, I'm sure he's improved a little bit in this area since working in Motown, but let's not throw the man a parade okay. 

Wait. Are you saying the world expected Detroit to implode after  Megatron retired? I never thought that. Look, Jim deserves credit for their 7-4 record by virtue of being on the sidelines this yr alone & more black coaches need to hired yes for HC vacancies sure. 

I don't have anything against Caldwell personally. I just think he's overrated that's all. He deserves to remain there & I would fire Jeff Fisher & Marvin Lewis as guys that need to go ASAP in LA & Ohio. 

Well, as an OC it is his job to develop the offensive game plan and he did such a good job he took a team that was floundering to a SB chanpionship.  Outside of that, as a HC it's not his job so to say he doesn't do it is misleading.  It's kind of like looking at a highly decorated policeman and saying he was just lucky in his job, it's not like he stopped any buildings from being burned to the ground.

So, Manning had a lot of 4th quarter comebacks under Caldwell ( according to you, I did not look up to verify that information) but Caldwell was awful at making halftime adjustments?  I know you will say it's because of Manning, yet it's happening again in Detroit even though Detroit doesn't have Manning.

Yes, that was the talk about how Detroit would generate offense without Johnson and many speculated they would not be able to win many games.

I like Caldwell because he's a good coach, not because he's a black HC.  I'm not sure what that has to do with anything being discussed or why it was brought up but I would appreciate you not turning this thread into a race issue.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, as an OC it is his job to develop the offensive game plan and he did such a good job he took a team that was floundering to a SB chanpionship.  Outside of that, as a HC it's not his job so to say he doesn't do it is misleading.  It's kind of like looking at a highly decorated policeman and saying he was just lucky in his job, it's not like he stopped any buildings from being burned to the ground.

So, Manning had a lot of 4th quarter comebacks under Caldwell ( according to you, I did not look up to verify that information) but Caldwell was awful at making halftime adjustments?  I know you will say it's because of Manning, yet it's happening again in Detroit even though Detroit doesn't have Manning.

Yes, that was the talk about how Detroit would generate offense without Johnson and many speculated they would not be able to win many games.

I like Caldwell because he's a good coach, not because he's a black HC.  I'm not sure what that has to do with anything being discussed or why it was brought up but I would appreciate you not turning this thread into a race issue.

I like Caldwell because he's an old Hawkeye :thmup:

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not to mention when he got here as QB coach Manning had the same problem Luck does with turnovers.  Manning has always credited the coaches with teaching him punting wasn't a bad thing and once he learned that is when he turned into the GOAT.  It would be nice to have a Caldwell now to do that with Luck.  

Caldwell's teams are on pace to win their division four of the six or seven years he's been a head coach?  Time to admit he's at worst a decent coach and not the Polian puppet so many here labeled him as.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, Smonroe said:

Well, he drafted Tebow in the first round... so there's that.

Wow is that the best you can come up with? I'm talking McDaniels the young rising coach who gets nothing but praises from Tom Brady (nfl also) about his football IQ and plans of attack beside that I clearly stated about pairing him with a gm. There's no way Denver should've given him that much power as a first time head coach anyway.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You are entitled to think Jim Caldwell is a good HC & I am entitled to think the man serving in this capacity is overrated. Neither one of us is going to change our positions on Jim here, which is fine. 

You're decorated cop analogy is severely flawed BTW & it has no bearing on Caldwell's career as a HC at all. For starters, police officers deal with conflict resolution & potential death situations on a daily basis vs a head coach who is judged strictly on wins & losses, division crowns, & SB appearances for instance. I brought up the black coach angle because when a coach who happens to be black & not good at his job [meaning losing more than he winning] is not performing well....That is the 1st item that is always brought up: Look at the shortage of African American coaches in the NFL. Translation: Records matter & just because there is a shortage of black coaches in the league that doesn't mean that an overrated one should retain their position strictly based on a lack of sideline representation as African American coaches. 

Jim Caldwell deserves to remain in Detroit right now because of their 7-4 record & that his team has a decent shot at winning the NFC North. Now, if you wanna talk about how black coaches get a much shorter timeframe to prove their value to an owner than say caucasian coaches like the overrated Jeff Fisher we can discuss that double standard an undeniable fact. 

I just dislike reverse discrimination tactics. Keeping mediocre coaches simply because they are nice guys & can't really coach. Caldwell is not a good HC. He's a decent coordinator or QB position coach. That's it. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

You are entitled to think Jim Caldwell is a good HC & I am entitled to think the man serving in this capacity is overrated. Neither one of us is going to change our positions on Jim here, which is fine. 

You're decorated cop analogy is severely flawed BTW & it has no bearing on Caldwell's career as a HC at all. For starters, police officers deal with conflict resolution & potential death situations on a daily basis vs a head coach who is judged strictly on wins & losses, division crowns, & SB appearances for instance. I brought up the black coach angle because when a coach who happens to be black & not good at his job [meaning losing more than he winning] is not performing well....That is the 1st item that is always brought up: Look at the shortage of African American coaches in the NFL. Translation: Records matter & just because there is a shortage of black coaches in the league that doesn't mean that an overrated one should retain their position strictly based on a lack of sideline representation as African American coaches. 

Jim Caldwell deserves to remain in Detroit right now because of their 7-4 record & that his team has a decent shot at winning the NFC North. Now, if you wanna talk about how black coaches get a much shorter timeframe to prove their value to an owner than say caucasian coaches like the overrated Jeff Fisher we can discuss that double standard an undeniable fact. 

I just dislike reverse discrimination tactics. Keeping mediocre coaches simply because they are nice guys & can't really coach. Caldwell is not a good HC. He's a decent coordinator or QB position coach. That's it. 

I thought they were only obligated to interview a nice guy, not that they had to keep him on even when you think they can't coach.

I don't think Caldwell is a good HC either.  If you remember that year when the Colts had a chance to go undefeated in the regular season, this bozo put in his 2nd squad saving the starters to avoid injury.  That's basically when lost all respect for the guy.  Let him stay  in Motown, don't need him here.  Again, they should hire J McDaniel for HC.

4 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

I don't think Caldwell is a good HC either.  If you remember that year when the Colts had a chance to go undefeated in the regular season, this bozo put in his 2nd squad saving the starters to avoid injury.  That's basically when lost all respect for the guy.  Let him stay  in Motown, don't need him here.  Again, they should hire J McDaniel for HC.

That was Bill Polian's decision to pull everyone. Caldwell couldn't do anything about it.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

I thought they were only obligated to interview a nice guy, not that they had to keep him on even when you think they can't coach.

If you wanna make the inference [let's see SW1 do a better job than Caldwell with 1 SB ring with the Ravens & a SB appearance in 2009] My reply is this: I have no desire to be an NFL HC. I just want my team the Colts to win more than 1 Lombardi trophy. 

Jim Caldwell knew full well going in what the high demands of his head coaching position were. Those expectations were laid out by Bill Polian & our owner & Jimmy felt it necessary to make a change after the 2011 season. I had no control over Caldwell's dismissal. The Irsay Family did that. Not me. Yes, I did voice my displeasure on this forum over Jim's difficulty to make sideline adjustments over several games, but at the end of the day, Jimmy was cutting Caldwell's check not little old me. And, by that same token, when Jimmy felt compelled to make a change...Irsay cut him loose not me. 

The NFL business is cut throat & all coaches understand how fickle their job security really is. Jim Mora knew it, Tony Dungy knew it, Jim Caldwell knew it, & Chuck Pagano knows it. 

On 11/27/2016 at 8:51 PM, Dustin said:

Instead of hiring Grigson and Pagano in 2012, Irsay went with the other two options that he interviewed: Reggie Mckenzie  and Mike Zimmer. 

Mckenzie is the GM of the Raiders who currently try boast the best record in the AFC and Mike Zimmer is the HC of the Vikings who made the playoffs last season and have one of the leagues best defensive units. 

Better? Worse? we probably wouldn't have guys like TY and Moncrief in this scenario. 

Better of course. 

At minimum, most people would roll the dice.

6 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

No one knows if J McDaniel is a good HC either.

There's no evidence of it.