Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Game: Scott Tolzien (Merge)

RollerColt

1 minute ago, MTC said:

Well, the Steelers secondary (and defense in general) is significantly worse to start. There is a reason Steelers were 5-5 entering the game.

Hasselbeck was good at the short passes/screens (Tolzien wasn't as he could only succeed with the mid-range). 

Bull. He never reached the red zone near as many times as this kid. Hasslebeck was pure awful against Pitt last year. And their secondary was just as bad as this year so stop with the nonsense

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Bull. He never reached the red zone near as many times as this kid. Hasslebeck was pure awful against Pitt last year. And their secondary was just as bad as this year so stop with the nonsense

Alright, I respect your viewpoint. I'm no longer going to argue about this. It's silly talking about which backup QB is better when it's irrelevant in the grand ol' scheme.  

-

In conclusion: Tolzien was just okay. Nothing to get excited about. 

19 minutes ago, MTC said:

Alright, I respect your viewpoint. I'm no longer going to argue about this. It's silly talking about which backup QB is better when it's irrelevant in the grand ol' scheme.  

-

In conclusion: Tolzien was just okay. Nothing to get excited about. 

That's all you need for a back up QB

4 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Not touchdowns exactly but key points in the game yes.

Not sure if I understood right. Drop by TY was after he beat a CB with ILB Timmons trailing. He catches it, he wins the foot race for a TD.

That was a sure fire TD to me given the scheme the Steelers were playing. After that, they started playing 2 safeties deep for the most part.

Just now, chad72 said:

Not sure if I understood right. Drop by TY was after he beat a CB with ILB Timmons trailing. He catches it, he wins the foot race for a TD.

That was a sure fire TD to me given the scheme the Steelers were playing. After that, they started playing 2 safeties deep for the most part.

I meant like key 3rd downs sorry I did not say that. But on that TY play I thought he would of caught it. Then on the big hit dropped it

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I meant like key 3rd downs sorry I did not say that. But on that TY play I thought he would of caught it. Then on the big hit dropped it

Yeah, it was almost Garçon like in the 2009 SB, catch it and it's open field in front of you. Then Garçon turns around and makes crazy catches.

I really think the WRs were not mentally focused today, clearly.

When I see Edelman take a hit from Chancellor in the SB after making a catch and get up, that's the kind of "back at ya" attitude I want from our wide outs.

His team mates let him down! How in the hell do we make it to the 1 yard line twice, go through all 4 downs twice and come away with no points? Dorsett drops the damn ball, Tolzien sort of didnt place the ball properly on that drop by Chester, Gore kept getting stuffed and I'm betting he makes it in there if Kelly wasn't hurt. The only finger I want to point at the coaches is how many times have we seen Turbin pick up these short yardage situations yet hes never given the ball on the goal line. It makes no sense to me!

1 minute ago, krunk said:

His team mates let him down! How in the hell do we make it to the 1 yard line twice, go through all 4 downs twice and come away with no points? Dorsett drops the damn ball, Tolzien sort of didnt place the ball properly on that drop by Chester, Gore kept getting stuffed and I'm betting he makes it in there if Kelly wasn't hurt. The only finger I want to point at the coaches is how many times have we seen Turbin pick up these short yardage situations yet hes never given the ball on the goal line. It makes no sense to me!

Run for head coach please 

As I said in another thread....Tolzien is going to ask to be moved down on the depth chart after this beating he took haha

he was mediocre at best...the loss definitely was far less on him than i had predicted going into this game. Still just mind blown how in 8 tries in 2 series we couldn't punch it in even once from the goal line.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He threw two picks,   Take it easy

Those two picks came when he had to take chances given the score and time left.  All and all Tolzien played about as well as you could hope for from a backup, with WRs dropping passes, bad line play, no run support, his best WR getting hurt and missing pretty much the second half, and being down double digits most of the night against a blitz happy team that knew he had to throw.

Not perfect by any means with lots of room for improvement but a far cry from say Curtis Painter.

2 hours ago, cbear said:

He played well.  Not sure why we need to look so hard to find reasons why he didn't.  He's not manning or luck, but based on this game (and granted it was just one) we can win with him. 

Because lots of people bashed him in the pre-season and before the game tonight and don't want to admit they were wrong.  

Again Tolzien wasn't perfect but he exceeded most here's expectations for him and did about as well as you could expect a backup to do given the circumstances.  

4 hours ago, MTC said:

Well, the Steelers secondary (and defense in general) is significantly worse to start. There is a reason Steelers were 5-5 entering the game.

Hasselbeck was good at the short passes/screens (Tolzien wasn't as he could only succeed with the mid-range). 

Eh... just an FYI the Steelers secondary is leaps and bounds better than they were last year.  Last year it was laughably bad.  Now they have actual talent but its raw and learning.  

Also they are 5-5 because of injuries... They haven't had their starting QB and Heyward/Shazier (their 2 star defensive players) have been in and out of the lineup.  And if anyone knows about losing their star QB Indy should be one of the first in line as of late. 

I don't think anyone is saying Tolzien is an amazing QB but if the team performs above average and he plays the game he did tonight we have a chance at a lot of games. 

Tolzien was on fire at certain points of the game. The Steelers defense was on the field for almost the entire 3rd quarter. They had looks on their faces like why can't we get this guy stopped? I thought Scott played with good energy and competitive fire, you could tell he knew the offense inside and out because with almost every look they gave him he knew exactly where to go with the football. What he showed last night you don't get out of most back up quarterbacks. My only gripe is the dude is the worse scrambler I've seen in a while. I kind of feel like he would have gotten at least one of those TD, especially that one where we faked the run and he sprinted out to the right if he maybe leaped a little bit or something else, but oh well.

Forget Luck, had the Colts played football they could have won. Tozien did a good job for a guy that had one NFL pass to his resume. Dropped passes, missed field goals, 3rd down failed conversions, five starters injured, OL again showed they are jelly, a pass defense that Roethlisberger laughed at with three TD in 14 completions and two failed first & goal hideous failures (again on the jelly OL). It was said by Chris Collingsworth before the game Gore runs at the line and Le'Veon Bell picks his holes but Gore has few openings with this OL so he runs in to brick walls. Last word, watched how much time Dak Prescott had in the pocket yesterday, while we watch the Colts QBs running for their lives and getting squashed every single week. Another sad day that highlighted how far this organization has fallen. The Jets are next, God help us.    

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I thought he played well.

He had 2 interceptions and one TD..

...some yards were lost to drops....

But I like the way he ran the team.  No bobbled snaps or false starts. He wasnt afraid. He made a couple of bad throws under pressure.

He isn't Andrew Luck. But, as a backup, we have a good one.

Your thoughts.

I agree