Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade For Thomas, Move Castanzo to RT

Indeee

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

:thmup:

Constanzo has the feet of a right tackle I bin getting killed for yrs saying this. We need a true Lt, back to square one only have 2 position on the oline Lg and C. Unless Clark turns all the potential into reality we are saying the same thing for the last 10 yrs we have to fix the oline 

No need to trade. He's to old and we aren't winning anything.

AC was solid for years, but he's making this online even worse it seems.

Moving him to rt also them creates holes everywhere else.

I honestly have no clue how they're going to fix this.

But he absolutely isn't the solid LT we had for years 

Castonzo had a few bad plays but I thought the main problem was the right side. Haeg played left guard when he was normally in the right guard spot. Instead they plugged in Good and Reitz which both were overpowered and got to Luck quickly. I wouldn't pin it all on Castonzo at all,

13 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Constanzo has the feet of a right tackle I bin getting killed for yrs saying this. We need a true Lt, back to square one only have 2 position on the oline Lg and C. Unless Clark turns all the potential into reality we are saying the same thing for the last 10 yrs we have to fix the oline 

I agree, canstanzo cant cut it at lt, he is too slow footed, move him to rt and get Thomas for lt

15 minutes ago, IinD said:

No need to trade. He's to old and we aren't winning anything.

AC was solid for years, but he's making this online even worse it seems.

Moving him to rt also them creates holes everywhere else.

I honestly have no clue how they're going to fix this.

But he absolutely isn't the solid LT we had for years 

AC has really only had two good years.  I can't blame Grigson for giving him a new deal, because he was excellent two yrs ago and appeared like a guy who earned the  money.  What has happened since, I have no idea.  Get him some PEDS quick!!

Just now, BOTT said:

AC has really only had two good years.  I can't blame Grigson for giving him a new deal, because he was excellent two yrs ago and appeared like a guy who earned the  money.  What has happened since, I have no idea.  Get him some PEDS quick!!

Yeah agree, that's why I wrote solid in my post. I never bought into that he's an elite LT talk.

No.  Thomas is in the later stages of his career and won't be in a position to win a Super Bowl here.  If Clark can develop quickly, it might be worth it to put him at LT and move Castonzo to RT.  Castonzo has been pretty bad this year, and I think his play has declined since he got his second contract.  I'm no longer comfortable having him on the left side.  I think he's better suited to the RT position, given how he's played.

We know who Joe Thomas is. He is a big name player. Grigson will not go after him. He'll trade for Ben Smithers? Heard of him? Me neither...a perfect Grigson hidden gem. Problem solved. Don't go after proven players, that's too easy.

Just now, Flash said:

We know who Joe Thomas is. He is a big name player. Grigson will not go after him. He'll trade for Ben Smithers? Heard of him? Me neither...a perfect Grigson hidden gem. Problem solved. Don't go after proven players, that's too easy.

Wait a few years.  When Thomas is 35 and completely over the hill, Grigson will offer him a 4 year contract to be a starter

This is oart of this team's problems.  Actimg as if we're 1 player away.  Championship teams make trades like that,  this isn't a championship team.  We are way more tham 1 player away.  The smart thing to have done woulda been to surround Luvk w/ Young linemen instead of overrated TEs and wrs.  

Thomas isn't going to save the Colts. Plus he's old anyways. I'd say that every spot except center and LG should be an open competition. Castonzo can move to the right side eventually but there's no one to replace him at LT atm. Maybe Clark or Haeg next year but we'll see.

That isn't how you build for the future. If we were a good team with a questionable Oline it would make sense, but we have so many holes and trading for Joe Thomas would make us only marginally better. You don't sacrifice a first round pick, and that's what it'll cost, to get a 31 year old lineman who might make your 6-10 team a 7-9 team.

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

They want a first for him. No way I would give up a 1st for him.

Especially since it's going to be a high first and we're going to have a shot at making the same kind of move for a lot less money and making it pay off for a lot longer time.

And I want to win the lottery.  Neither is going to happen.

I would normally not be in favor of such a move but Costanzo has regressed so much you just have to see what the asking price is.  We now have two tackles at either end who can't stop bull rushes.   At 32 he can protect Lucks blind side and give us time to develop his replacement.  At 32 no one is going to give them a  No.1. We wasted our No.2 and 3. picks this year on project players. Clark is at least a year away and Green plays totally out of control.  I could support giving a 3 and it wouldn't take much to talk me into a 2.  We have to protect our QB.  I think with our compensatory pick we could move up if we really wanted to.  Oh how we took Tarik Glenn for granted. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I would normally not be in favor of such a move but Costanzo has regressed so much you just have to see what the asking price is.  We now have two tackles at either end who can't stop bull rushes.   At 32 he can protect Lucks blind side and give us time to develop his replacement.  At 32 no one is going to give them a  No.1. We wasted our No.2 and 3. picks this year on project players. Clark is at least a year away and Green plays totally out of control.  I could support giving a 3 and it wouldn't take much to talk me into a 2.  We have to protect our QB.  I think with our compensatory pick we could move up if we really wanted to.  Oh how we took Tarik Glenn for granted. 

Since we're talking about grandpa's playing for us, why not just try to lure Tarik out of retirement

They want a first for him. No way I would give up a 1st for him.

Especially since it's going to be a high first and we're going to have a shot at making the same kind of move for a lot less money and making it pay off for a lot longer time.

And I want to win the lottery.  Neither is going to happen.

Yeah. My faith in our office to grab a good LT is not high.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Yup only had to good yrs he was slightly above average or average the rest of his career 

33 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the problem with putting AC at RT is that he is being paid like a LT

we might have the cap space to pull that off for a year or two, but its not a long term solution

Let pray that Clark is developed by then so we can move on from a Rt making Lt money 

Building an offensive line mostly through the draft takes a commitment and TIME. They have to develop and the coaching staff has to be able to assess who is working and who simply isn't.  This is time that Luck necessarily doesn't have as he continues to get hammered and more years of his prime are potentially wasted.  At this point, you have to have a good mix of vets and draft picks.  Picking up a Thomas or Staley at age 32 wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if we get 2-3 decent seasons while we continue to invest other draft picks in this area.  It will help to stabilize the left side and maybe Constanzo at RT turns out to be a better fit?  If we keep the pick and draft a rookie offensive lineman with say our second rounder there are still no guarantees that pick pans out. Also  more time will be needed for that pick to develop.  The potential maximum impact of such a pick won't be immediate.  Adding a veteran, proven commodity to the mix with the younger guys gives the Colts the best chance to better protect Luck sooner rather than later.  It also gives Luck the best chance to start winning again sooner if we can somehow find a way to also shore up the defense.

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Joe Thomas isn't going to save the Colts season..... Its just going to cost them a high pick and more.

It's not so much about saving the Colts season as it is about trying to help Luck last through the season.  At the rate this current offensive line is going, there is a real chance he gets hurt again.  Got to protect the Franchise.

Depends on the compensation. Say this was the trade:

Colts give:

• Colts 2017 4th round pick
  • Colts 2018 3rd round pick
  • Joe Reitz or Denzelle Good

Browns Give:

• Joe Thomas
  • Browns 2018 6th Round Pick

I could get behind that. 

But if we're giving them our 1st round pick... No. 

41 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Building an offensive line mostly through the draft takes a commitment and TIME. They have to develop and the coaching staff has to be able to assess who is working and who simply isn't.  This is time that Luck necessarily doesn't have as he continues to get hammered and more years of his prime are potentially wasted.  At this point, you have to have a good mix of vets and draft picks.  Picking up a Thomas or Staley at age 32 wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if we get 2-3 decent seasons while we continue to invest other draft picks in this area.  It will help to stabilize the left side and maybe Constanzo at RT turns out to be a better fit?  If we keep the pick and draft a rookie offensive lineman with say our second rounder there are still no guarantees that pick pans out. Also  more time will be needed for that pick to develop.  The potential maximum impact of such a pick won't be immediate.  Adding a veteran, proven commodity to the mix with the younger guys gives the Colts the best chance to better protect Luck sooner rather than later.  It also gives Luck the best chance to start winning again sooner if we can somehow find a way to also shore up the defense.

I concur

Castonzo having a bad year is an ugly surprise. Reitz having a bad year isn't a surprise. Reitz was a decent backup and he is serviceable to come in for a few snaps but he never was and never will be starting material and that's something I'm saying for years now. I don't know why Grigson and Pagano thought it would be a good idea to name him as starter. Grigson should be fired as soon as possible. Our franchise QB is turning into David Carr. This season is the worst and he gets hit and sacked for years now. It's not a surprise that he is struggling...

39 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Depends on the compensation. Say this was the trade:

Colts give:

• Colts 2017 4th round pick
  • Colts 2018 3rd round pick
  • Joe Reitz or Denzelle Good

Browns Give:

• Joe Thomas
  • Browns 2018 6th Round Pick

I could get behind that. 

But if we're giving them our 1st round pick... No. 

I just read where they are asking for a 2.  Maybe they take a 3?  Serious minds want to know. 

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

They did just the same in the 75, when they traded for George Kunz  to protect Bert Jones.  The added protection took them to the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It's not so much about saving the Colts season as it is about trying to help Luck last through the season.  At the rate this current offensive line is going, there is a real chance he gets hurt again.  Got to protect the Franchise.

Is Thornton available to come off IR?  He's decent, in the one game a year he's healthy...