Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft position currently

The tie breakers are apparently as follows.

1. Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team's opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice.

1. 2. The next tie breaker would be record against conference opponents and then divisional opponents.
  2. Coin flip will occur if tie still exists
  3. 3. After the first round, the order is determined by revolving the teams with the same records, with the team that just picked first of the group picking last in the next round.

It would be difficult to go through the work of figuring all of that out right now.  Especially when so much can change.  

However I think we would look strong in our tie breakers at the moment.  We've played the 3 - 3 Lions, 4 - 2 Broncos, 2 - 4 Chargers, 2 - 3 Jags, 1 - 5 Bears, and 4 -2 Texans.

So our opponents thus far are 16 - 19.

On #2 We've only beaten one conference opponent (Chargers) and no divisional opponents.  

At this point I would be fine with the Colts getting a top 10 pick (and hopefully getting an impact defender like Myles Garrett or Jabril Peppers) and cleaning house at HC and possibly GM. Head Coach is the biggest issue though. They are never ready to start games, and Chuck keeps making excuses for this team and doesn't put players in best positions to make plays, especially defensively.

41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

At this point I would be fine with the Colts getting a top 10 pick (and hopefully getting an impact defender like Myles Garrett or Jabril Peppers) and cleaning house at HC and possibly GM. Head Coach is the biggest issue though. They are never ready to start games, and Chuck keeps making excuses for this team and doesn't put players in best positions to make plays, especially defensively.

Just wondering but do yall think Myles Garrett could transition well into olb. He's pretty big. Don't want another Werner  situation (I know that's really an apples to oranges comparison lol). Peppers I think could be great at ILB for us. Could cover for us and keep Morrison away from covering.

1 hour ago, KB said:

Just wondering but do yall think Myles Garrett could transition well into olb. He's pretty big. Don't want another Werner  situation (I know that's really an apples to oranges comparison lol). Peppers I think could be great at ILB for us. Could cover for us and keep Morrison away from covering.

Since Pagano could very well be gone in the offseason there's no guarantee Indy will stay at a 3-4 defense. Gotta take the best players available especially when starting with a new coach. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's week 6.

Who knows and who cares?

We won't really know anything until sometime in December......

I think a lot of us fans are thinking this looks like a lost season so why not discuss the offseason and draft. Even if they miraculously make the playoffs this year, they don't have the coaching staff or roster to go on a deep run. 

22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Since Pagano could very well be gone in the offseason there's no guarantee Indy will stay at a 3-4 defense. Gotta take the best players available especially when starting with a new coach. 

Yeah but couldn't that make our defense even worse. What I'm saying is our strongest group right now is our defensive line. All of them are best suited at 3-4 lineman. Kendall Langford wasn't that great as a 4-3 lineman so that could apply to all of them now. Henry Anderson wouldn't be a steal anymore and become a bust unless traded. Not to mention the guys we have drafted that are growing well will have to learn everything all over. Clayton Geathers and TJ green would have a stunted growth in the NFL. What I'm saying is a new defensive philosophy might be a one step forward and two steps back kind of deal. I know we haven't been to impressed with it so far but with some actual playmakers that could be a different story.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think a lot of us fans are thinking this looks like a lost season so why not discuss the offseason and draft. Even if they miraculously make the playoffs this year, they don't have the coaching staff or roster to go on a deep run. 

I know....   I get it....     I'm a draft nut and I love talking draft 27/7/365....

But getting into the nitty-gritty at this early time will only drive you crazy.    

Impossible to know if we'll pick 8th, or 10th,  or 12th?       Higher than that?      Lower than that?    Who knows?

So many things are going to happen before this year is out. 

Hopefully we can all ride out this storm and come out OK on the other side....

What was Pagano's weird comment last December....    "they can only fire you,  they can eat you!"

:peek:

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know....   I get it....     I'm a draft nut and I love talking draft 27/7/365....

But getting into the nitty-gritty at this early time will only drive you crazy.    

This is true. Really the only thing that we can say with any level of certainty is that we likely will have no shot at Myles Garrett. Everyone else is up for discussion. At this point, it's probably a safe bet to keep our eyes on players slotted around 10-15. A top 10 pick sounds nice, but I have a feeling we'll manage to win just enough to land outside that range.

13 hours ago, KB said:

Peppers is 205 pounds. I don't think he'll ever be able to play ILB in the NFL. Better off selecting a guy like Reuben Foster. He's got the size and he can cover

2 hours ago, BCoop said:

This is true. Really the only thing that we can say with any level of certainty is that we likely will have no shot at Myles Garrett. Everyone else is up for discussion. At this point, it's probably a safe bet to keep our eyes on players slotted around 10-15. A top 10 pick sounds nice, but I have a feeling we'll manage to win just enough to land outside that range.

Yeah I think we'll be more like in the middle third of the league. Probably not quite a top 10 pick. I also think if somehow we make it to the playoffs out of our weak division, we'll likely have the worst record of any playoff team and get likely bounced in round 1. So 21 is kind of our ceiling unless this team catches fire more than I currently believe we can. 

17 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Peppers is 205 pounds. I don't think he'll ever be able to play ILB in the NFL. Better off selecting a guy like Reuben Foster. He's got the size and he can cover

No way Peppers plays inside. You don't want him to either. He's a guy that could play 3 different positions at a pro-bowl level. Throw him at safety, slot CB, and OLB in certain situations and he will flourish. ILB, not so much.

Even with all the edge rushers and RB's in this draft, Peppers may be #1 on my draft board. The guy just has a superstar feel to him. He's that playmaker on the back end of a defense that can completely alter game plans. We need that in a bad way.

13 hours ago, KB said:

Yeah but couldn't that make our defense even worse. What I'm saying is our strongest group right now is our defensive line. All of them are best suited at 3-4 lineman. Kendall Langford wasn't that great as a 4-3 lineman so that could apply to all of them now. Henry Anderson wouldn't be a steal anymore and become a bust unless traded. Not to mention the guys we have drafted that are growing well will have to learn everything all over. Clayton Geathers and TJ green would have a stunted growth in the NFL. What I'm saying is a new defensive philosophy might be a one step forward and two steps back kind of deal. I know we haven't been to impressed with it so far but with some actual playmakers that could be a different story.

Changing defense doesn't affect the DB's.  Their job is the same as it always was.  It only changes it for the guys up front.

I'm not totally sure they couldn't transition.  Also it's worth noting that a lot of coaches run the 3-4 defense now.  In fact I think it's more popular then the 4-3.  So we could certainly just make sure to get a coach who wants to run a 3-4.  

My biggest worry is more of the new GM letting go of certain talented guys because they "arn't his guy".  

But ultimately especially with the way Dorsett is playing, it appears as though Grigson has busted on 3 first round picks in a row.  While it looks like Kelly isn't a bust, the rest have been.  It's really hard to stay competitive with 3 first round busts in a row like that.  

23 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Where do we stand right now?

Today, on NFL.com....   they have the Colts listed as picking 6th....    now, clearly there's a ton of projection out there....    and I don't know if tie-breakers were factored in....    but for now it's 6th.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Today, on NFL.com....   they have the Colts listed as picking 6th....    now, clearly there's a ton of projection out there....    and I don't know if tie-breakers were factored in....    but for now it's 6th.

Which is probably fair based on what we've seen so far. Two divisional losses in the worst division in football and matchups against San Diego, Detroit, and Chicago that were all less than impressive. The schedule only gets more difficult from here on out. From the viewpoint of an unbiased third party, it would be hard to pick more than 3 wins the rest of the way.

As a Colts fan, I still have to believe we'll win more than that, but I can definitely understand the projection.

On October 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM, BProland85 said:

At this point I would be fine with the Colts getting a top 10 pick (and hopefully getting an impact defender like Myles Garrett or Jabril Peppers)

But we have so many injuries at WR! I say we sign a WR in the 1st round and a TE in the 2nd, and trade back up into the 1st for a HB... or another WR. Actually, just sign all the WR's. We're bound to hit on one of them.

On 10/17/2016 at 10:48 PM, KB said:

No, because the Colts don't have any 3-4 specific players who are really good. Henry Anderson might be the best one and he could probably play the 4-3 just fine. Plus, they are supposed to be running a hybird scheme. and be able to switch.

It might make the defense a lot better actually because they might have an easier time finding good players.

On October 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM, ReMeDy said:

But we have so many injuries at WR! I say we sign a WR in the 1st round and a TE in the 2nd, and trade back up into the 1st for a HB... or another WR. Actually, just sign all the WR's. We're bound to hit on one of them.

How foolish of me to forget about the WR position!! 

On 10/18/2016 at 8:51 AM, BCoop said:

Not necessarily. It really depends on how the QB needy teams stack up. Cleveland, the 49ers, NO, Chicago, all need QBs bad. The real people in the way are the stupid Titans with their 2 first round picks. It sounds strange but we need to root for the Titans and Rams to finish well to lower how high their picks are. Like I said in another topic the Colts are looking at another 5 losses at least. 7-9 with 4 QB needy teams in front of us and some teams like KC and Buffalo who might not take a pass rusher high could land us in line for Garrett. It's a stretch but it's not impossible. Plus who knows how scouts really view him. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not necessarily. It really depends on how the QB needy teams stack up. Cleveland, the 49ers, NO, Chicago, all need QBs bad. The real people in the way are the stupid Titans with their 2 first round picks. It sounds strange but we need to root for the Titans and Rams to finish well to lower how high their picks are. Like I said in another topic the Colts are looking at another 5 losses at least. 7-9 with 4 QB needy teams in front of us and some teams like KC and Buffalo who might not take a pass rusher high could land us in line for Garrett. It's a stretch but it's not impossible. Plus who knows how scouts really view him. 

Are we sure we can't manage a 4-12 or 5-11 record? Our schedule is just about to get tougher and we weren't very successful against the bad teams we already played.

@TItans -> L

vs Chiefs -> L

@ Packers -> L

vs Titans -> W/L?

vs Steelers -> L

@Jets -> L

vs Texans -> W

@ Vikings ->L

@ Raiders -> L

vs Jaguars ->W

Seriously? With the way we've played and the way Pagano is coaching them, how many of those do you think we will win? 

We can very comfortably get a top 5 pick and that's without me even bringing up the possibility of telling Luck "Go get some rest and get your shoulder in order" for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Are we sure we can't manage a 4-12 or 5-11 record? Our schedule is just about to get tougher and we weren't very successful against the bad teams we already played.

@TItans -> L

vs Chiefs -> L

@ Packers -> L

vs Titans -> W/L?

vs Steelers -> L

@Jets -> L

vs Texans -> W

@ Vikings ->L

@ Raiders -> L

vs Jaguars ->W

Seriously? With the way we've played and the way Pagano is coaching them, how many of those do you think we will win? 

We can very comfortably get a top 5 pick and that's without me even bringing up the possibility of telling Luck "Go get some rest and get your shoulder in order" for the rest of the season.

I forget about the Raiders and the Chiefs are a toss up. I see 6-10 more than 4-12 though. We should be able to get another 2-3 division wins and maybe a surprise win. The Titans and Chiefs games are the hinge games. If they lose against both those teams they may only beat the Texans and Jaguars and could  be 4-12.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I forget about the Raiders and the Chiefs are a toss up. I see 6-10 more than 4-12 though. We should be able to get another 2-3 division wins and maybe a surprise win. The Titans and Chiefs games are the hinge games. If they lose against both those teams they may only beat the Texans and Jaguars and could  be 4-12.

If they end up 6-10 or 4-12 I think they gotta make a play to move up a few spots to land Myles Garrett. How often does Indy have a chance to land a player like that? 

48 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If they end up 6-10 or 4-12 I think they gotta make a play to move up a few spots to land Myles Garrett. How often does Indy have a chance to land a player like that? 

They may not have to move up at 4-12.Cleveland will get the number 1 overall pick. Chicago number 2. And 49ers number 3. Colts could get the 4th overall and the first 3 teams in front of us all take QBs.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They may not have to move up at 4-12.Cleveland will get the number 1 overall pick. Chicago number 2. And 49ers number 3. Colts could get the 4th overall and the first 3 teams in front of us all take QBs.

While they certainly need QB's it's hard to believe three QB's will go in the top 3 picks, especially since there doesn't really seem to be a can't miss QB coming out this year. Watson maybe, but Kizer and Kaaya, Not so much. I can't see it happening. I think Garret goes in the top two regardless.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is why I wish we could just tank for the 1st or 2nd pick then trade back a spot or 2 with one of those stupid teams that want a QB lol if we can get ahead of at least two of those 3 teams we can possibly really make a killing on that pick! 

Colts currently are at the 9th overall pick if anyone was curious. I'll try and keep updated on this each week. Drafting 9th overall opens up a lot of options. Jabrill Peppers, Derek Barnett, possibly even Jonathan Allen could be available.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000714737/article/2017-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

After a week 7 win,  the Colts are now slotted to pick 9th....     that's down 3 spots from 6th last week.

Not that it needs to be mentioned, but this will be highly volatile for at least another 6-7 weeks. Based on a quick look, I'm seeing 16 teams within 1 game of each other right now. A few good weeks for us or bad weeks for other teams and we could swing 10+ spots.

2 hours ago, BCoop said:

Not that it needs to be mentioned, but this will be highly volatile for at least another 6-7 weeks. Based on a quick look, I'm seeing 16 teams within 1 game of each other right now. A few good weeks for us or bad weeks for other teams and we could swing 10+ spots.

I agree with you!

But some fans here are so focused on the draft,  that they're dying to know where we stand with our pick.

I don't recall NFL.com doing this each week this early,  so since they ARE doing it this year,  and there appears to be interest,   I thought I'd share the info.

I don't want to always be the Donnie-Downer,  Negative-Nick kind of guy.     It doesn't cost me anything to post the info,  and if it gives the draft nuts here what they want,   then what the hay......    I might as well do it....

I hear you......     it's just easier to go with the flow.....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/2017_nfl_draft_order_after_wee_3.html

Just an update but the Colts are currently at spot 6 overall. Here is my latest wish list/mock for the Colts without involving trades...

1 - DE Jonathan Allen, Alabama (He would give the Colts the most talented DL player they've had in a very long time. He and Anderson paired together as the DE's would give opposing OL fits. Langford is good, but he will be 31 soon and Indy needs an ultra talent on the DL with the great pass rushing ability that Allen provides.)

2 - OLB Dawuane Smoot, Illinois (Another pass rusher is brought in here to dramatically improve that department. With Smoot, Allen, and a healthy Anderson, their ability to get to the QB is greatly increased.)

3 - ILB Anthony Walker Jr., Northwestern (I really want the Colts to dramatically improve their LB play, and adding both Smoot and Walker Jr. would definitely help with that. Walker Jr. would instantly be the most talented ILB on the roster, and has the ability to play sideline to sideline and cover as well.)

4 - C/OG Mason Cole, Michigan (I think the Colts need a new answer at RG, and Cole could follow the Zach Martin route and transition to RG full time, where I think he could be a good one. I think Haeg can play RT and continue to get better there if they just keep him at that position. And I'm hoping that LeRaven Clark has a great offseason and potentially is the answer at LT since Costanzo seems to be regressing.)

4 (comp for Fleener) - RB Wayne Gallman, Clemson (Has dealt with some injuries this year, but he has the talent to be the future at RB for Indy.)

5 - OLB Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State (Gives Indy another pass rusher at OLB.)

6 - RB Kareem Hunt, Toledo (Depth and talent at RB is still needed even after Gallman.)

7 - I believe the 7th was lost in a past trade, possible for Billy Winn.

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/2017_nfl_draft_order_after_wee_3.html

Just an update but the Colts are currently at spot 6 overall. Here is my latest wish list/mock for the Colts without involving trades...

1 - DE Jonathan Allen, Alabama (He would give the Colts the most talented DL player they've had in a very long time. He and Anderson paired together as the DE's would give opposing OL fits. Langford is good, but he will be 31 soon and Indy needs an ultra talent on the DL with the great pass rushing ability that Allen provides.)

2 - OLB Dawuane Smoot, Illinois (Another pass rusher is brought in here to dramatically improve that department. With Smoot, Allen, and a healthy Anderson, their ability to get to the QB is greatly increased.)

3 - ILB Anthony Walker Jr., Northwestern (I really want the Colts to dramatically improve their LB play, and adding both Smoot and Walker Jr. would definitely help with that. Walker Jr. would instantly be the most talented ILB on the roster, and has the ability to play sideline to sideline and cover as well.)

4 - C/OG Mason Cole, Michigan (I think the Colts need a new answer at RG, and Cole could follow the Zach Martin route and transition to RG full time, where I think he could be a good one. I think Haeg can play RT and continue to get better there if they just keep him at that position. And I'm hoping that LeRaven Clark has a great offseason and potentially is the answer at LT since Costanzo seems to be regressing.)

4 (comp for Fleener) - RB Wayne Gallman, Clemson (Has dealt with some injuries this year, but he has the talent to be the future at RB for Indy.)

5 - OLB Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State (Gives Indy another pass rusher at OLB.)

6 - RB Kareem Hunt, Toledo (Depth and talent at RB is still needed even after Gallman.)

7 - I believe the 7th was lost in a past trade, possible for Billy Winn.

Jonathan Allen is probably the best player in the draft. He has everything you want in a player. I'd be ecstatic if he ended up in Indy. 

Curious that you don't have us taking a CB. IMO that's one of our biggest needs. Davis isn't getting any younger and we don't have anyone behind him. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....    as we sit now,  half-way through the season,  we're now in the top-10.

NFL.com says currently, the Colts are now 7th in the draft order.

But it's a long, LONG way before this is over.       We could surprise in either direction.....

Glad I found this thread. GB Loss would probably put us 5th or something. Just as a complete guess. We'll have to see what happens next week.

On 10/18/2016 at 6:57 PM, ReMeDy said:

Matt Millen, is that YOU?

Note: the number in parentheses is the strength of schedule

FIRST ROUND

1. Browns 0-8 (.525)

2. 49ers 1-6 (.510)

3. Bears 2-6 (.559)

4. Jaguars 2-5 (.463)

5. Panthers 2-5 (.510)

6. Colts 3-5 (.500)

7. Jets 3-5 (.558)

8. Chargers 3-5 (.590)

9. Ravens 3-4 (.435)

10. Titans via trade with Rams 3-4 (.462)

T11. Buccaneers 3-4 (.500)

T11. Dolphins 3-4 (.500)

13. Saints 3-4 (.567)

14. Cardinals 3-4-1 (.466)

15. Bengals 3-4-1 (.549)

16. Titans 4-4 (.459)

17. Lions 4-4 (.484)

18. Bills 4-4 (.508)

19. Redskins 4-3-1 (.483)

20. Browns via trade with Eagles 4-3 (.481)

21. Packers 4-3 (.538)

22. Steelers 4-3 (.566)

23. Giants 4-3 (.570)

24. Falcons 5-3 (.534)

25. Texans 5-3 (.581)

26. Seahawks 4-2-1 (.413)

27. Eagles via trade with Vikings 5-2 (.481)

28. Chiefs 5-2 (.500)

29. Broncos 6-2 (.444)

30. Raiders 6-2 (.475)

31. Cowboys 6-1 (.442)

32. Patriots 7-1 (.435)

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Jonathan Allen is probably the best player in the draft. He has everything you want in a player. I'd be ecstatic if he ended up in Indy. 

Curious that you don't have us taking a CB. IMO that's one of our biggest needs. Davis isn't getting any younger and we don't have anyone behind him. 

There's only so many draft picks Indy has unless they trade down. Plus I could see them signing someone else in free agency and Patrick Robinson is finally starting to come around. Front 7 is the biggest need on defense. A solid CB brought in via free agency should be enough there since Davis, Robinson, and Butler are solid for the most part. Just need added pass rush to help them out a little. Allen, Smoot, Walker Jr., and Lewis would provide that.