Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who is next, dead wood

OLD FAN MAN

it seems to me that the colts are fed up with players who don't produce .imo  most colts players   are subject to be cut if they don't play well.i think the front office wants to win our division this season. cutting two starters shows this.i look for more to be cut if they don't excel. they might excuse rookie mistakes but not vets. who is next? the front office is cutting dead wood

8 minutes ago, FACE REALITY said:

it seems to me that the colts are fed up with players who don't produce .imo  most colts players   are subject to be cut if they don't play well.i think the front office wants to win our division this season. cutting two starters shows this.i look for more to be cut if they don't excel. they might excuse rookie mistakes but not vets. who is next? the front office is cutting dead wood

Well I can think of really only 2 others that truly have under performed from their expectations constantly, game in and game out.

Castonzo and Dewayne Allen. Both of these are on fresh or relatively fresh so I doubt they get cut. 

Just now, csmopar said:

Well I can think of really only 2 others that truly have under performed from their expectations constantly, game in and game out.

Castonzo and Dewayne Allen. Both of these are on fresh or relatively fresh so I doubt they get cut. 

Colts are strapped with those two's big contracts for years to come

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Colts are strapped with those two's big contracts for years to come

Not really. Grigson does do one thing well and that is structure contracts to be easy and cheap to get out of. From my understanding,  it's after year 2 on both where they can be cut without a huge penalty.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not really. Grigson does do one thing well and that is structure contracts to be easy and cheap to get out of. From my understanding,  it's after year 2 on both where they can be cut without a huge penalty.

If there can be one good thing to say about Grigson it is the fact he doesnt tie concrete bags to our feet while we are drowning.  

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Ferguson.

And can you support this opinion? You've got me scratching my head. He did have the drop in the jags game. But other than that he has been proficient in the screen and scat role. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

And can you support this opinion? You've got me scratching my head. He did have the drop in the jags game. But other than that he has been proficient in the screen and scat role. 

Oh I wouldn't cut him.He's theonly rb we have with speed. But I dont think griggs values speed backs that much or else we would have some over the years. He seems the kind of player griggs would cut.

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It's typically after year 2 on a 4 year deal....

But it's typically after year 3 on a 5-year deal.       And Castanzo got a 5-year deal.....

Not sure what's going on there......   he's playing so poorly.....

14 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

The problem is they're going to Ferguson way too much. Turbin is a better blocker and I think he can do the same things that Ferguson has done. Even if you keep Ferguson for some occasion screens he should not get more snaps and carries than Turbin. Our Oline has been run blocking pretty well. I'd like to see more of it with Turbin or Todman than to see Ferguson getting all of these snaps for dumpoffs. Damn shame he got more targets than Dorsett and Doyle. They need to stop forcing Ferguson on the field because they hyped him up in the offseason. He'd be much more effective in a limited role. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

According to sportrac...

Cutting Castanzo would result in:

18.2 million dead cap 2016

8.4 million dead cap 2017

5.6 million dead cap 2018

2.8 million dead cap 2019

Cutting Allen would result in:

11.5 million dead cap 2016

3 million dead cap 2017

2 million dead cap 2018

1 million dead cap 2019

As I said, the Colts are strapped with those contracts for the foreseeable future.

Also,  the Colts paid Gosder Cherilus (who was cut in July of 2015) 2.9 million in 2015 and are currently paying him 5.8 million for 2016 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gosder-cherilus-3272/

Apparently Grigson didn't structure that contract very well? 

28 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

According to sportrac...

Cutting Castanzo would result in:

18.2 million dead cap 2016

8.4 million dead cap 2017

5.6 million dead cap 2018

2.8 million dead cap 2019

Cutting Allen would result in:

11.5 million dead cap 2016

3 million dead cap 2017

2 million dead cap 2018

1 million dead cap 2019

As I said, the Colts are strapped with those contracts for the foreseeable future.

Also,  the Colts paid Gosder Cherilus (who was cut in July of 2015) 2.9 million in 2015 and are currently paying him 5.8 million for 2016 

So Castonzo's basically not cuttable til '19, but Allen's deal is VERY front loaded, so he's kind of dispensable after this year?

52 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So Castonzo's basically not cuttable til '19, but Allen's deal is VERY front loaded, so he's kind of dispensable after this year?

Well, it would still be a waste of 6 million of Irsay's money if Allen were cut in 2017.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

They are not really paying him this year. Those are just amounts that count towards the cap in dead money.

12 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

They are not really paying him this year. Those are just amounts that count towards the cap in dead money.

That depends on how much of the contract was guaranteed

Cherilus may have gotten all the money up front?

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mathis needs to have his role reduced big time.  He's not producing. Time to give Bates, Jackson and Maggitt their opportunity.  Ferguson too.  Clearly not ready to be our No.2 back.  

Maggitt has been getting his opportunity so far he has contributed a dumb personal foul at a time the Colts couldn't afford it after they made a big play.  We will see what Bates has to offer now that he is back on the active roster.   Jackson plays ILBer so with Moore being released he's probably going to see some playing time in the near future even if it's just in a reserve role.  

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He almost cost us the game vs SD, TY bailed him out.

There were lots of drops and mistakes in every game. Ferguson has had a couple but you cannot say any single player has cost us the game. Except for Andrew himself. And perhaps Reitz vs Den

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's typically after year 2 on a 4 year deal....

But it's typically after year 3 on a 5-year deal.       And Castanzo got a 5-year deal.....

Not sure what's going on there......   he's playing so poorly.....

His hair is getting in his eyes.......

10 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:
J. Ferguson 3 -2 0 1
J. Ferguson 7 33 0 9

Hes sucks 

He has limited reps, and the defense has to account for him. He is also a rookie, and rarely has the chance to run. And when he does have the chance to run they make him run like he is Marshawn Lynch. He does not suck. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

He has limited reps, and the defense has to account for him. He is also a rookie, and rarely has the chance to run. And when he does have the chance to run they make him run like he is Marshawn Lynch. He does not suck. 

I'd move him to the last player to take the field. 

Just now, Coltfreak said:

I'd move him to the last player to take the field. 

And that is fine. But to say he sucks just simply isn't true. He isn't great by any means. And i would rather have turbin on the field. But he is fine for a scat back. 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We all know details like whose going to play if we cut this guy can't get in the way of cutting someone because the forum is mad!  Come on!

When it comes to replacing Rietz. Haeg, Good, and Clark all come to mind. Anything is better than watching Rietz turnstyle his way to the waiver wire.

4 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

When it comes to replacing Rietz. Haeg, Good, and Clark all come to mind. Anything is better than watching Rietz turnstyle his way to the waiver wire.

Ríetz has been very solid up until he got hurt.  It's very possible his poor play was because of his injury.

clark is not NFL ready yet.  Haeg has had his own struggles at right tackle and seems more suited for guard.  Good would be an option but that leaves you with little to nothing behind him if he gets hurt.  

Well, I guess it depends on what your goal is this season.  If your goal is to still try to win the division THIS year then you gain nothing by cutting them now as they are getting paid regardless, and there isn't anything better out there you are going to be able to bring in to replace them.  If you are giving up on this season, then I guess you could cut bait at the end of the year and try to lure some FA's and draft more.  From my understanding the Colts will have a little bit of money to play with next off-season.  Cutting those guys now, when it is already a weak unit, serves no purpose IMHO.  What if guys get injured?

4 hours ago, FACE REALITY said:

Next one to go is D'Quell Jackson.

Pagano, Grigson, Mathis, Cole, Art Jones, Butler(?) I think will all be gone at season end. We need a new start. I'm not a Pagano hater, I was all for keeping him this year. But its clear that this team has a culture problem and that has to end from the top down. I want a new GM, I want a new head coach and for him to bring in his own staff and coordinators.

We need to get rid of the aging non producers who are costing us too much money.

I love Mathis but he is done. He's not only not produced a sack yet but he hasn't even produced a decent pressure as far as I remember. I don't see any of the explosion or quickness that he was known for anymore. But for a 34/35 year old DE/OLB coming off an Achilles fairly recently that is not unusual. Everyone has an expiration date and I think Mathis has finally reached his.

Cole spends more time on the trainers table than the field and is not producing anything when he finally reaches the field.

Jones has had 2 season ending injuries and will not beat out anyone on the starting Dline right now. Even on the restructured contract, he just isn't worth it anymore.

Butler just isn't what he once was. There was a time he was one of the best slot corners in the league. Now, not so much.

5 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Pagano, Grigson, Mathis, Cole, Art Jones, Butler(?) I think will all be gone at season end. We need a new start. I'm not a Pagano hater, I was all for keeping him this year. But its clear that this team has a culture problem and that has to end from the top down. I want a new GM, I want a new head coach and for him to bring in his own staff and coordinators.

We need to get rid of the aging non producers who are costing us too much money.

I love Mathis but he is done. He's not only not produced a sack yet but he hasn't even produced a decent pressure as far as I remember. I don't see any of the explosion or quickness that he was known for anymore. But for a 34/35 year old DE/OLB coming off an Achilles fairly recently that is not unusual. Everyone has an expiration date and I think Mathis has finally reached his.

Cole spends more time on the trainers table than the field and is not producing anything when he finally reaches the field.

Jones has had 2 season ending injuries and will not beat out anyone on the starting Dline right now. Even on the restructured contract, he just isn't worth it anymore.

Butler just isn't what he once was. There was a time he was one of the best slot corners in the league. Now, not so much.

I agree some more will be cut if they don't shape up

12 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think Joe Reitz and Castonzo need to be looked at. 

:scratch: No. Castonzo is our best linemen besides Mewhort. Joe Reitz shows he can play, but not with nagging injuries. There's nobody else that can efficiently play right guard or right tackle on our roster. Getting rid of Reitz really would put us back. I'm hoping for his return actually.

12 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

He's not a legit pro running back... he might be a legit receiver, though he wouldn't make our team as such.  He catches short dump off passes, some planned, some not, and that's it. They try to run him but it's pointless. He isn't quickand elusive enough nor is he powerful enough to date.  Let's power run with Gore, Turbin and Todman.  All can catch short wide open passes (well..Gore not always) and run with power.  If you must keep Ferguson because he's a change of pace back then let's see him deliver in that roll....