Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Protesting this team

BProland85

I don't know how you all feel about this, but it is very hard for me to support a team and owner that refuses to admit he made a mistake by bringing back Pagano and Grigson. He is wasting away Luck's career and will continue to do so the longer he keeps these two at the helm.

I for one will be taking a stand and won't be attending any Colts games this season or buying any Colts merchandise until Irsay does what is necessary to start surrounding Andrew Luck with a capable coaching staff and roster to compete for a championship.

I think it is time for us Colts fans to take a stand and voice our frustrations of this team to Mr. Irsay. This is the best way I know how to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Colts and am glad for the years they have spent in Indianapolis. But it's time to show our feelings towards Irsay allowing this franchise to go backwards instead of progressing towards a championship.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't know how you all feel about this, but it is very hard for me to support a team and owner that refuses to admit he made a mistake by bringing back Pagano and Grigson. He is wasting away Luck's career and will continue to do so the longer he keeps these two at the helm.

I for one will be taking a stand and won't be attending any Colts games this season or buying any Colts merchandise until Irsay does what is necessary to start surrounding Andrew Luck with a capable coaching staff and roster to compete for a championship.

I think it is time for us Colts fans to take a stand and voice our frustrations of this team to Mr. Irsay. This is the best way I know how to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Colts and am glad for the years they have spent in Indianapolis. But it's time to show our feelings towards Irsay allowing this franchise to go backwards instead of progressing towards a championship.

My biggest question is who do you want Irsay to hire? Give me a list of candidates for HC and GM that you believe could make this team a contender.

They made moves to upgrade a lot of position coaches and chose stability over a potential revolving door that cripples a franchise (Cleveland). So what GM and HC (legitimate candidates, not some never going to happen dream candidate) should he have brought in that would have turned the ship around? 

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

My biggest question is who do you want Irsay to hire? Give me a list of candidates for HC and GM that you believe could make this team a contender.

I haven't spent the time needed to go out and see who will be available because that's not my job, but for HC, I'm sure there are candidates out there that I think could do a better job than Pagano. I think we can all agree Pagano is not suited to be a HC. He has a team full of undisciplined players who don't do their jobs (Tackling, blocking assignments, dropped passes, studying opponents on tape, etc.).

Grigson actually hasn't been as bad as Pagano at his job. Yes he has had some bad free agent signings, and horrible draft picks. But he also has had some quality players drafted like Geathers, Green, Kelly, Haeg, Moncrief, Mewhort, among others).

But Pagano seems to not prepare players for each game properly. As a HC you have to study your opponent and limit what they do best. Pagano's players seem to be lost on the field and don't play inspired football until the 4th quarter.

Perhaps when I have some time this week I'll look through the names that could be made available and would be quality HC candidates. One name I would love having is Tom Herman from Houston.

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I haven't spent the time needed to go out and see who will be available because that's not my job, but for HC, I'm sure there are candidates out there that I think could do a better job than Pagano. I think we can all agree Pagano is not suited to be a HC. He has a team full of undisciplined players who don't do their jobs (Tackling, blocking assignments, dropped passes, studying opponents on tape, etc.).

I don't disagree, but at the same time, these players, for the most part, get paid a lot more than Pagano does. At what point do they just simply start earning their paychecks and acting/playing like pros? Why do they need extra motivation to go out and play a solid 60 minutes of football vs a divisional opponent on national TV? I just don't understand it.

Whatever the answer to that question is, I truly don't believe that it's as simple as just firing the coach.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Does it matter?

I honestly believe you could draw player names out of a hat, throw darts at a draft board and do as well as Grigson has done.  Then there's the ridiculous amount of money he's wasted in free agency on players who did nothing to improve this team. 

No worries.  As I've learned on this forum, we should have an average defense and average O-line by year 8 - only three more drafts.  Eight drafts and 60-70 free agent signings - that's all it's gonna  take Grigson.  lol

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Grigson actually hasn't been as bad as Pagano at his job. Yes he has had some bad free agent signings, and horrible draft picks. But he also has had some quality players drafted like Geathers, Green, Kelly, Haeg, Moncrief, Mewhort, among others).

But Pagano seems to not prepare players for each game properly. As a HC you have to study your opponent and limit what they do best. Pagano's players seem to be lost on the field and don't play inspired football until the 4th quarter.

Perhaps when I have some time this week I'll look through the names that could be made available and would be quality HC candidates. One name I would love having is Tom Herman from Houston.

While there may be better coaches out there than Pagano, that doesn't mean they are available or interested.  Do you really think Irsay didn't look for a better option?  And what makes you think Herman would be a good NFL head coach?

6 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Might be time to break these out on Sunday:

colts-bag-head.jpg

I realized this weekend how much harder it is to get over a loss if I expect our team to win. Same old mistakes of mine... Maybe we should accept our fate this year and rahter look at the bright side like no blowout losses so far this season.

3 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

While there may be better coaches out there than Pagano, that doesn't mean they are available or interested.  Do you really think Irsay didn't look for a better option?  And what makes you think Herman would be a good NFL head coach?

You don't know who would be interested either. Nobody knows. But Irsay didn't interview many HCs the year he hired Pagano. That shows me he didn't try as hard as he could to bring in the best candidate possible.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Does it matter?

I honestly believe you could draw player names out of a hat, throw darts at a draft board and do as well as Grigson has done.  Then there's the ridiculous amount of money he's wasted in free agency on players who did nothing to improve this team. 

No worries.  As I've learned on this forum, we should have an average defense and average O-line by year 8 - only three more drafts.  Eight drafts and 60-70 free agent signings - that's all it's gonna  take Grigson.  lol

He drafted o-line, just like the fans wanted. He drafted d-line last year, just like the fans wanted. I'm guessing next draft, he'll draft pass rushers and linebackers, just like the fans want. Maybe the FO listens to the fans too much? Maybe the coaches just aren't doing enough with the talent that he's bringing in? I don't think the answer is as simple as just firing guys and starting over. It's a good start, but you have to have replacements in mind.

So yeah, it kind of does matter, because they can't just fire guys and bring in some band-aid replacements just to appease fans. They actually have to be better than what we have now, or it won't make any difference whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

You don't know who would be interested either. Nobody knows. But Irsay didn't interview many HCs the year he hired Pagano. That shows me he didn't try as hard as he could to bring in the best candidate possible.

Are you somehow privy to the list of who Irsay interviewed or requested to interview??

40 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Don't get you wrong? That is kind of hard to do when you turn your back on the team you claim to love. Winning and losing are a part of the NFL. It's easy to sit back and ridicule about something but that very same thing there are no answers for it at this time.

Everyone wants a quick fix and those don't happen in the NFL. It takes time for new and rookie players to gel and get better as a unit. This team is not near as bad as made out to be after a loss.

Last week some were calling for Arians and wanted him back. He is 1-3. So all of a sudden did he forget how to coach? Last years super bowl team from the NFC is 1-3. As it stands right now there are 13 teams in the NFL that have the same or worse record than the Colts. Counting the Colts that is almost half the league.

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

You have no clue who and how many people Irsay talked to.

Irsay explained why he made his choice.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Last week some were calling for Arians and wanted him back. He is 1-3. So all of a sudden did he forget how to coach? Last years super bowl team from the NFC is 1-3. As it stands right now there are 13 teams in the NFL that have the same or worse record than the Colts. Counting the Colts that is almost half the league.

I really like your paragraph here because it reminds fans that ebbs & flows & peaks & valleys are part of the NFL. Pittsburgh got taken to the woodshed by the Eagles last week & demolished KC last night on SNF. Rex Ryan was on the hot seat & then he beat the Cardinals & now NE yesterday afternoon. 

Plus, INDY has been successful for so long as a division winner & playoff contender that we need to remember that the football Gods are not always gonna smile upon us every single season. It's not realistic. Do I wanna win? Sure I do, but discarding our HC & GM right now isn't gonna solve anything. Pags & Grigs know what's expected of them. They're not trying to put a less than stellar product on the field. Be patient. It's never as dire as it initially looks. We'll be okay. 

Protesting the team is not a smart move. I get disappointment even frustration, but we need to hang in there for the long haul & wait. 

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Don't get you wrong? That is kind of hard to do when you turn your back on the team you claim to love. Winning and losing are a part of the NFL. It's easy to sit back and ridicule about something but that very same thing there are no answers for it at this time.

Everyone wants a quick fix and those don't happen in the NFL. It takes time for new and rookie players to gel and get better as a unit. This team is not near as bad as made out to be after a loss.

My frustrations are not with losing 3 games this year, it has to do with the same problems this team has had since Pagano and company got here. Can't run the ball, can't protect the QB, questionable coaching calls, etc. Until these things change for the better, I will continue to be frustrated with this team.

And I'm not turning my back on the team by any means, just not shelling out money to an owner who is letting this all happen. I still obviously am a fan and watch the games.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He drafted o-line, just like the fans wanted. He drafted d-line last year, just like the fans wanted. I'm guessing next draft, he'll draft pass rushers and linebackers, just like the fans want. Maybe the FO listens to the fans too much? Maybe the coaches just aren't doing enough with the talent that he's bringing in? I don't think the answer is as simple as just firing guys and starting over. It's a good start, but you have to have replacements in mind.

So yeah, it kind of does matter, because they can't just fire guys and bring in some band-aid replacements just to appease fans. They actually have to be better than what we have now, or it won't make any difference whatsoever.

He drafted o-line heavy this year because he had to, if he had ignored it, Irsay might have hijacked the draft and fired him right there.    Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I am sure a point was made prior to the draft that it needed to be heavily addressed. 

The fact is, a good GM makes moves before anyone would expect them, a bad GM makes moves after it is proven they have to.   The o-line has been an issue since Manning's last playing season and it took until this year's draft to seriously address it,  that was well overdue.  

As far as firing anyone, I have never been a fan of firing coaches or GMs mid-season, unless thinks there is someone within the organization ready to step up.  We might as well see how this one plays out.  In the meantime, I hope the Irsay's are doing some scouting in both the HC and GM position.  If this team somehow pulls it together and gets to 10-6, then maybe they live to fight another day.  But do you seriously believe that they should both stay on next season after, say a 6-10 record?  

10 minutes ago, Corndog said:

He drafted o-line heavy this year because he had to, if he had ignored it, Irsay might have hijacked the draft and fired him right there.    Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I am sure a point was made prior to the draft that it needed to be heavily addressed. 

The fact is, a good GM makes moves before anyone would expect them, a bad GM makes moves after it is proven they have to.   The o-line has been an issue since Manning's last playing season and it took until this year's draft to seriously address it,  that was well overdue.  

As far as firing anyone, I have never been a fan of firing coaches or GMs mid-season, unless thinks there is someone within the organization ready to step up.  We might as well see how this one plays out.  In the meantime, I hope the Irsay's are doing some scouting in both the HC and GM position.  If this team somehow pulls it together and gets to 10-6, then maybe they live to fight another day.  But do you seriously believe that they should both stay on next season after, say a 6-10 record?  

No, I'm all for making changes if it makes the team better, but just firing the HC/GM without better options in place to take over is just going to put this team further down the rabbit hole. 6-10 would be cause for heads to roll, but at the same time I think it's harder than just swapping those 2 guys out. It's good for a photo opp and press conference, and it gives fans the impression that there's a new fresh approach on the horizon. But the reality is that it wouldn't be nearly as quick of a turnaround as we'd all like to see.

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My frustrations are not with losing 3 games this year, it has to do with the same problems this team has had since Pagano and company got here. Can't run the ball, can't protect the QB, questionable coaching calls, etc. Until these things change for the better, I will continue to be frustrated with this team.

And I'm not turning my back on the team by any means, just not shelling out money to an owner who is letting this all happen. I still obviously am a fan and watch the games.

There didn't seem to be that much of a problem when the Colts went three 11-5 seasons was there?

Look, you been around long enough to know that no one can just snap their finger and all the problems go away.  That is exactly what you want Irsay to do by firing Grigson and or Pagano.

Starting over at this point would be worse than what is going on now IMO.

We are all frustrated with the season so far but Irsay firing or having knee jerk reactions will not make this better.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I agree with you 100% this team has regressed the last three years instead of going forward they are in reverse hell hat SD victory might be our only win  this year and even getting that one we were lucky.

12 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Yes, IMO Irsay will not make any changes no matter what their record ends up being.

Irsay does not have a history of making changes fast and will give both Grison and Pagano the benefit of doubt.

It's pretty easy for us to sit at home and want all kinds of changes when there is no clear answers to solve those problems.

Say what you want the Colts have yet to have a losing season under Grigson and Pagano and that does count as something positive in Irsay's eyes.

Here's how I look at it: Initially, I rejected the idea of hiring Joe Philbin as the assistant HC & OL coach because of how things spun out of control in Miami under his stewardship. But then I saw how our pocket actually looked like a darn pocket a couple of weeks ago. Chud our OC is actually rubbing off on Luck getting him to slide more often, get down faster, & throw the ball away from frequently. All good things Andrew didn't do in previous seasons. 

If we didn't have Pat McAfee on punts & Adam V. on clutch FG kicking, INDY would be in a world of hurt though. Even I, can't lie to myself about that. Why do we always sputter out of the gate & start so darn slow? The Allen drops need to be fixed pronto. I dislike running reverses too because they are gimmick, trickery plays. Can't we just plow methodically forward on the ground instead of tiring out our quickest speed guys? Sigh...

We have tried to address the o-line in previous yrs with band aid veteran applications or lower round picks to hone & develop. It hasn't unfolded great sure, but Grigs has tried to fill gapping holes. Let's see what our record is when the regular season is officially over. If Pags & Grigs have similar results the following yr, then I'm open to the idea of a regime change, but not this early. No way. 

1 hour ago, Shive said:

They made moves to upgrade a lot of position coaches and chose stability over a potential revolving door that cripples a franchise (Cleveland). So what GM and HC (legitimate candidates, not some never going to happen dream candidate) should he have brought in that would have turned the ship around? 

So instead, we chose stability in mediocrity which also cripples a franchise.  

Protest? No, I will still watch them from NY via NFL Sunday ticket (since 04) and Fan since 72. Upset--Yes, due to the team for years not having a tough, want to kick butt attitude on both sides of he ball.. We will never se a JJ Watt type D player on this team.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

We aren't asking for a quick fix.  It's been almost 4 1/2 years, and we have the same problems, only they have gotten worse.  

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There didn't seem to be that much of a problem when the Colts went three 11-5 seasons was there?

Look, you been around long enough to know that no one can just snap their finger and all the problems go away.  That is exactly what you want Irsay to do by firing Grigson and or Pagano.

Starting over at this point would be worse than what is going on now IMO.

We are all frustrated with the season so far but Irsay firing or having knee jerk reactions will not make this better.

I am in no means saying they should be fired now. I am saying if things continue like this for the rest of the season, then in the offseason their replacements need to be found. They have had THE SAME issues on this team since they got here. They still cannot protect Luck, they still cannot run the ball, they still cannot stay disciplined and do their jobs. Part of that is not holding tougher practices, and by making players accountable for mistakes they've made.

2 minutes ago, Mr Coffee said:

We aren't asking for a quick fix.  It's been almost 4 1/2 years, and we have the same problems, only they have gotten worse.  

Well I am sorry you cant see the big picture and understand all the circumstances that made things the way they are.

Off topic slightly: I thought both Opera singers did a fine job singing the 'Star Spangled Banner' & 'God Save The Queen' yesterday. They both hit that elusive high note extremely well.

I've always been impressed with singers who can generate tremendous breathing power from their vocal cords & their diaphragms. Especially, if somebody asked you to select before hand out of the crowd, who the 2 stage performers would be. I would have never guessed that either person could have such phenomenal range at 1st glance anyway. Cool. 

A fantastic job representing both countries IMO. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I am in no means saying they should be fired now. I am saying if things continue like this for the rest of the season, then in the offseason their replacements need to be found. They have had THE SAME issues on this team since they got here. They still cannot protect Luck, they still cannot run the ball, they still cannot stay disciplined and do their jobs. Part of that is not holding tougher practices, and by making players accountable for mistakes they've made.

1-Luck is getting better protection when the injured players are in the line up.

2-We do have a decent running game.

3-How do you know players are not being held accountable?

4-There are rules and laws in the collective bargaining agreement that dictate what and how practices are being run.