Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What my eyes tell me....

Rally5

I haven't checked stats but this is what I saw today.

1.  We can't get off the field on defense.  They punted twice with what amounts to a back-up QB on his second start.

2.  We still don't control the edges in the run game.

3.  We have no pass rush with no real prospect of one in sight.

4.  Our corners are obviously outmatched, I get the injuries....but how about controlling the penalties.

5.  Cromartie plays a heartless brand of football.  No way he should have allowed that first down.....looks like Leron Landry out there.

6.  Reitz is serviceable at best and we were reminded of that today.

7.  Our receivers coach needs to coach complete route running concepts and working back to the ball.  Talib should have never beaten Dorsett to that ball, people will see a pick and blame Luck for that one, I don't.

8.  Gore ran for 44 yards.

9.  Jack Doyle looks good for the second week in a row.

10. Mathis looks slow (which makes me sad)!

I was surprised to see people actually talking about Luck in this game when there are about 10 more things you could list before you get to anything Luck did today.  San Deigo is coming and they've scored 65 points in two games so brace for impact Colts fans because they are an offensive machine right now.

We had the ball with a chance to win with 1:55 to go with THAT little personnel.  The coaches are not at fault on this one.  Remove two false PI calls against us and we may have won.  In the end the best pass rusher of this generation got the best of us.  

2 minutes ago, Ryan Pelley said:

The pick six was a stupid throw. Talib is a smart player. He knows where the first down marker is. He just had to sit there watching Luck staring down Dorsett before forcing the throw. Most great DBs are going to jump that and take the ball away.

A good que on this is who is moving when the pick is made.  When the receiver is standing still waiting for a ball and a DB moves past and through him it's considered on the receiver.  People rarely talk about that outside the coaching staff (I hope they do) but Dorsett should take that hit for that one.  You have to trust your guy is going to come get it just like you have to trust he's going to go get a 50/50 ball except this one is thrown to an open receiver.  That's how I was taught anyway.....

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

A good que on this is who is moving when the pick is made.  When the receiver is standing still waiting for a ball and a DB moves past and through him it's considered on the receiver.  People rarely talk about that outside the coaching staff (I hope they do) but Dorsett should take that hit for that one.  You have to trust your guy is going to come get it just like you have to trust he's going to go get a 50/50 ball except this one is thrown to an open receiver.  That's how I was taught anyway.....

You are correct... even Phil Simms was EMPHATIC that the pick was not Luck's fault.  It just might be possible he knows a bit more than Ryan Pelley.

13 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We had the ball with a chance to win with 1:55 to go with THAT little personnel.  The coaches are not at fault on this one.  Remove two false PI calls against us and we may have won.  In the end the best pass rusher of this generation got the best of us.  

I can go with the Offense v Defense concepts, I'm with you on much of that with a couple exceptions I noted. The defense not getting off the field again, fundamental stuff like setting the edge has nothing to do with injuries, always being in third and short, penalties, no pass rush....the d is struggling and that's not all about injured DB's.

I do have hope for a healthy Davis and Anderson, a motivated Cromartie, and that guy who allegedly plays for us from the Ravens coming back that we may actually have a solid D.  Until then we need to find a way to execute the basics much much better.

5 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You are correct... even Phil Simms was EMPHATIC that the pick was not Luck's fault.  It just might be possible he knows a bit more than Ryan Pelley.

Cool, I watch in a sports bar in Atlanta so I don't get to hear the sound, sorry if that was already covered on air, I didn't know.

31 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

1.  We can't get off the field on defense.  They punted twice with what amounts to a back-up QB on his second start.

4.  Our corners are obviously outmatched, I get the injuries....but how about controlling the penalties.

5.  Cromartie plays a heartless brand of football.  No way he should have allowed that first down.....looks like Leron Landry out there.

7.  Our receivers coach needs to coach complete route running concepts and working back to the ball.  Talib should have never beaten Dorsett to that ball, people will see a pick and blame Luck for that one, I don't.

I was surprised to see people actually talking about Luck in this game when there are about 10 more things you could list before you get to anything Luck did today.  San Deigo is coming and they've scored 65 points in two games so brace for impact Colts fans because they are an offensive machine right now.

Yeah, they'll definitely need to put up 40 next week to win which may be a possibility on the Chargers D but yeah it's definitely going to be a shoot out.  I don't see any way the D will be able to even remotely compete with them.  Hopefully it's a good game at least. 

5 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I can go with the Offense v Defense concepts, I'm with you on much of that with a couple exceptions I noted. The defense not getting off the field again, fundamental stuff like setting the edge has nothing to do with injuries, always being in third and short, penalties, no pass rush....the d is struggling and that's not all about injured DB's.

I do have hope for a healthy Davis and Anderson, a motivated Cromartie, and that guy who allegedly plays for us from the Ravens coming back that we may actually have a solid D.  Until then we need to find a way to execute the basics much much better.

Our edge problems are personnel issues more than coaching in my opinion.  You can only do so much with inferior talent.

53 minutes ago, Ryan Pelley said:

The pick six was a stupid throw. Talib is a smart player. He knows where the first down marker is. He just had to sit there watching Luck staring down Dorsett before forcing the throw. Most great DBs are going to jump that and take the ball away.

I agree with this. I love Andrew Luck to death. However that pick was in him. The fumble wasn't as Reitz is playing hurt. Last season and even in the playoff in 13 he did a great job guarding Miller. 

I saw no reason to make that throw. If he comes back to the ball it carries him short of the sticks, or a pick. Of course we know the pick happened. Tony Dungy used the Telestrator to explain the play. Said Luck should have just took the check down. If the check down guy doesnt make it then punt with no harm.

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Our edge problems are personnel issues more than coaching in my opinion.  You can only do so much with inferior talent.

I agree with you, if you include the secondary personnel in the "personnel issues". Miller is what he is, in part, due to the HEALTHY secondary of the Broncos. Mathis is so close sometimes, just another second or two and he (or others) might have a shot at generating a pass-rush.

9 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree with you, if you include the secondary personnel in the "personnel issues". Miller is what he is, in part, due to the HEALTHY secondary of the Broncos. Mathis is so close sometimes, just another second or two and he (or others) might have a shot at generating a pass-rush.

Mathis was back there for a strip sack a couple times. Does he look like Von Miller? No but i can't say I didn't see him bring pressure a couple times.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

I saw no reason to make that throw. If he comes back to the ball it carries him short of the sticks, or a pick. Of course we know the pick happened. Tony Dungy used the Telestrator to explain the play. Said Luck should have just took the check down. If the check down guy doesnt make it then punt with no harm.

Well, Simms disagreed and said it was not Luck's fault... he said it was mostly just an outstanding play by the CB.  The guy's been doing that his whole career and tied Deon Sanders among others for 4th all time pick 6's.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Well that 1 second IS the difference between a Mathis and a Miller.  Mathis has lost that crucial one second...

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, Simms disagreed and said it was not Luck's fault... he said it was mostly just an outstanding play by the CB.  The guy's been doing that his whole career and tied Deon Sanders among others for 4th all time pick 6's.

and so we should just take his word over Tony Dungy just like that? Dungy is in the Hall of Fame and Simms is not so we have that as some proof he might know a thing or two as well.  Do you force it in towards two guys who could potentially make the pick, or do we just take our check down with the game very close and punt?  Passing game wasn't very successful yesterday.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

and so we should just take his word over Tony Dungy just like that?  Do you force it in towards two guys who could potentially make the pick, or do we just take our check down with the game very close and punt?  Passing game wasn't very successful yesterday.

It's a micro second decision...need 1st down, guy is open and DB comes from 10 yards away to make an all world pick.,,  same with von miller,,when a guy is world class sometimes they are just going to beat you,,,

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I get what you are saying as far as what Dorsett maybe should have done once the ball was released, but it was risky to be honest.  If he comes back to the ball he's short of the sticks on that one and we still end up punting.  I think the Check Down is the smarter route to go there.

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

It's a micro second decision...need 1st down, guy is open and DB comes from 10 yards away to make an all world pick.,,  same with von miller,,when a guy is world class sometimes they are just going to beat you,,,

Yeah but once again if you run the come back you're short of the sticks, which results in a punt anyway.  Talib wasn't that far away.  He saw the play coming.

I think what Dungy said was right for the situation.    To each his own

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I get what you are saying as far as what Dorsett maybe should have done once the ball was released, but it was risky to be honest.  If he comes back to the ball he's short of the sticks on that one and we still end up punting.  I think the Check Down is the smarter route to go there.

I have said all pre season and summer that Luck needs to use check downs a lot more.  He has two quality pass catching TEs and an RB he needs to use a lot more... I still think that play was more about an amazing DB play.

13 hours ago, Rally5 said:

So basically, get ready for next year's draft now.  I thought the defense would be at least a little better than it has been.  The fact that it appears to be even worse than I had hoped is to crush any real chance of going .500 or better.  We can get some guys back, but I'm not convinced it's going to make any difference.

Siemian may be better than expected, but we're not even slowing anybody down.  

Doyel: This one's on Andrew Luck

But as the questioning continued, Luck started deflecting some blame. That’s how it sounded to me, anyway. I’ll show you what he said here in a minute. You decide.

But as the questioning continued, Luck started deflecting some blame. That’s how it sounded to me, anyway. I’ll show you what he said here in a minute.

Asked about the difficulties making plays downfield, Luck suggested two issues:

“Guys winning their matchups, and also schemes,” he said. “You know, trying to make sure we have help on certain plays.”

Guys winning their matchups …

Schematic breakdowns will happen against the Broncos. They have the biggest game-wrecker in the NFL, outside linebacker Von Miller, along with Pro Bowler DeMarcus Ware. That duo combined for 3½ sacks and hit Luck four times overall, including one play where they held a staff meeting at Luck’s sternum.

But guys winning their matchups downfield? That’s uncharacteristic of Andrew Luck to suggest the problem was anything but Andrew Luck.

This whole day was odd. A Colts defense that gave up 37 points at home to the Lions – Detroit also scored on a safety – surrendered barely half that on the road to the Broncos. Denver’s offense scored 19 points overall, and just one touchdown.

Denver’s defense scored two TDs, both on plays that began with the ball in Luck’s hands and ended with the Broncos defense celebrating in the end zone. The second one, the strip-fumble, can’t be blamed entirely on Luck. Von Miller did what Von Miller does, beating right tackle Joe Reitz and separating the ball from Luck. Linebacker Shane Ray returned it 15 yards for a touchdown.

But the first one, the pick-six to Talib? Pagano was clear where that play went wrong.

“I know Andrew would love to have it back,” Pagano said. “We’d all love to have it back, but you have to take care of the ball in that situation.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/09/18/doyel-colts-cant-win-when-their-best-player-their-worst/90495606/

Seems like Pagano was in the same mindset.  "Take The Checkdown".

17 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I have said all pre season and summer that Luck needs to use check downs a lot more.  He has two quality pass catching TEs and an RB he needs to use a lot more... I still think that play was more about an amazing DB play.

I was wondering what happened to the usage of the running back in the passing game myself.  Some key things we did differently in this game.  I fully expected we would use a lot of Max Protection in this game.  Instead we left the tackles out to dry which was real dumb to me.  Anybody who watched that Super Bowl would know you can't do that against those pass rushers.

13 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I agree

Just now, krunk said:

I was wondering what happened to the usage of the running back in the passing game myself.  Some key things we did differently in this game.  I fully expected we would use a lot of Max Protection in this game.  Instead we left the tackles out to dry which was real dumb to me.  Anybody who watched that Super Bowl would know you can't do that against those pass rushers.

I actually thought that strategy worked the majority of the game until Miller went off the last couple minutes. But that pass D hasn't missed a beat from last year.

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Sorry, but I 100% blame the coaches on putting Reitz on an island with Miller during the possibly comeback drive. 

I know this is a tough loss, especially since so many people had themselves convinced that the Colts have Denver's number and that somehow because they beat them in thepast that meant they were going to beat them yesterday.

But it's not all bad.  The Colts D held the Denver O to 20 points.  Both the D and O need to work on a few things.  But in the end Denver is a possible SB contender and the Colts hung with them for about 58 minutes.

Like Dungy and Polian used to be fond of saying, things are never as good as they seem when you win and they are never as bad as they seem when you lose.

16 hours ago, Rally5 said:

The db injuries has alot to do with no pass rush. We are forced to run a safe vanilla defense with very few opportunities to blitz due to our secondary personnel

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Doyel: This one's on Andrew Luck

But as the questioning continued, Luck started deflecting some blame. That’s how it sounded to me, anyway. I’ll show you what he said here in a minute. You decide.

But as the questioning continued, Luck started deflecting some blame. That’s how it sounded to me, anyway. I’ll show you what he said here in a minute.

Asked about the difficulties making plays downfield, Luck suggested two issues:

“Guys winning their matchups, and also schemes,” he said. “You know, trying to make sure we have help on certain plays.”

Guys winning their matchups …

Schematic breakdowns will happen against the Broncos. They have the biggest game-wrecker in the NFL, outside linebacker Von Miller, along with Pro Bowler DeMarcus Ware. That duo combined for 3½ sacks and hit Luck four times overall, including one play where they held a staff meeting at Luck’s sternum.

But guys winning their matchups downfield? That’s uncharacteristic of Andrew Luck to suggest the problem was anything but Andrew Luck.

This whole day was odd. A Colts defense that gave up 37 points at home to the Lions – Detroit also scored on a safety – surrendered barely half that on the road to the Broncos. Denver’s offense scored 19 points overall, and just one touchdown.

Denver’s defense scored two TDs, both on plays that began with the ball in Luck’s hands and ended with the Broncos defense celebrating in the end zone. The second one, the strip-fumble, can’t be blamed entirely on Luck. Von Miller did what Von Miller does, beating right tackle Joe Reitz and separating the ball from Luck. Linebacker Shane Ray returned it 15 yards for a touchdown.

But the first one, the pick-six to Talib? Pagano was clear where that play went wrong.

“I know Andrew would love to have it back,” Pagano said. “We’d all love to have it back, but you have to take care of the ball in that situation.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/09/18/doyel-colts-cant-win-when-their-best-player-their-worst/90495606/

Seems like Pagano was in the same mindset.  "Take The Checkdown".

To be honest, I didn't see the check down on TV, I only saw the downfield result.  I still think Dorsett has to win the fight for the ball but I will certainly concede taking the check down if it's there.

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

To be honest, I didn't see the check down on TV, I only saw the downfield result.  I still think Dorsett has to win the fight for the ball but I will certainly concede taking the check down if it's there.

Dungy pointed it out on TV during Football Night In America.  I know what you're saying though.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

Dungy pointed it out on TV during Football Night In America.  I know what you're saying though.

I didn't necessarily see it myself right away, but I felt like we kept continuously throwing balls downfield and getting away from the easy throws too much for my liking.  It doesn't surprise me that some type of check down was available.  Seemed like we were so set on being aggressive that we didn't have any type of patience with methodically driving the football down the field.   Sometimes you can make a defense look a lot greater than what they are by trying too hard.  And that is not to say that Denver isn't really good on the D because they are.  But you can make a teams job easier than what it already is when you pretty much telegraphing your intentions and not mixing it up.   I just feel like we left some points out there.  There's probably at least 9-12 points in field goals we could have added if we weren't so set on being ultra aggressive with the down field throws.  Game could have turned out differently maybe.  We could have kept them on the field and tired them out. Then at the right time get back into the aggressive throws.  Got to mix it up.

19 hours ago, Ryan Pelley said:

It was not a stupid throw.... it was maybe a bad throw (he threw it high and outside, and though Dorsett didn't come in to protect the ball or really fight for it)... if he threw it lower and toward the middle of the field, Dorsett either makes a catch or Talib probably gets charged for pass interference. 

That was at a critical moment in the game, and I get Luck was going for a first down... Talib made a great play on the ball, but it wasn't a stupid throw on Luck's behalf... if it was thrown differently there would have been a different outcome, but it wasn't like Luck had a mental lapse and made a stupid decision, he didn't make the greatest throw, Dorsett stood back, and Talib made a hell of a play.

18 hours ago, krunk said:

I get where Dungy is coming from, but Luck's throw still made sense.  In hindsight, Luck could have took the 100% safe bet and thrown to the check down.... but I don't think it was a bad decision on Luck's part to throw to Dorsett on that play... he may have telegraphed it a bit too long, and he may have thrown it too high and to the wrong side of Dorsett, but I think his logic for throwing it there was sound and had it been placed a bit better, we more likely than not would have seen a different outcome.  Throwing it to the check down would have been fine, too (and maybe a better decision), but this was not the case of Luck just making a stupid choice like he has done in years past.

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Well that 1 second IS the difference between a Mathis and a Miller.  Mathis has lost that crucial one second...

I think Miller certainly has a step on Mathis at this point in their careers... but I think what the poster you're replying to is saying is that Miller is also getting help from his secondary.... secondary and pass rush play go hand in hand -- if the secondary is on their man and forcing the QB to hold the ball a split second longer, chances are we will see our pass rushers hitting the QB a bit more (and if the pass rushers are hitting the QB, they should be taking pressure off the secondary... hopefully, if that happens enough the QB is forced to either rush into a bad decision or bad throw, or take a sack).   So, while you're probably right on Miller having a step on Mathis, I think to Mathis' credit we should be taking into account that his secondary is doing nothing to help him right now.... when Vontae and others get back, hopefully we'll see the DB's forcing the QB to hold onto the ball for just that much longer, in turn, resulting in Mathis having the extra second he needs to put a lick on the opposing QB.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah but once again if you run the come back you're short of the sticks, which results in a punt anyway.  Talib wasn't that far away.  He saw the play coming.

I think what Dungy said was right for the situation.    To each his own

I think you're right by saying "to each his own" here... I get what Dungy is saying, and I get your point... but I still don't think it was a stupid throw or a bad decision on Andrew's part... Dorsett had space between him and the defender and was right around the first down mark (this would have been a very big first down)... Luck threw it high and outside and Talib made a great play... if Luck throws to Dorsett low and inside, there is a very good chance we get a first down or at least make the chain gang come out to measure.  I'll agree that it wasn't a great throw, but I just don't think it was a dumb throw.