Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis, Anderson, Ridgway. THE pass rush.

Indianapolis-Colts-Fan

Mathis and Anderson, really haven't seen the field together for any significant amount of time. 

If we can get Ridgway, Anderson, and Mathis all at the same time (assuming Anderson can continue where he left off) then opposing olines are going to have a little bit of a problem on their hands. Anderson will command double teams. This will only free up Mathis, and Ridgway. Which will only result in the much coveted pass rush everyone so richly desires. At the very least, we will see improvement from this area. 

Now I know that voice in your head is saying: well ICF hold on, Ridgway is a rookie. Yes this is true. But Mathis hasn't completely lost it, and I believe these guys will work off eachothers energy. 

Pairing that up with a healthy secondary and as we saw, the colts CAN stop a decent offense at the very least. All is not lost guys. Come on. 

he said was a toe issue.

Mathis is wearing a protective boot, says it's a toe issue. Says he's not concerned about it.

— Derek Schultz (@Schultz975) September 13, 2016

Mathis isn’t concerned about it and we shouldn’t be either yet, but it’s something to monitor. A player in a boot is noteworthy, especially when he’s the guy the Colts are relying on to provide the bulk of their pass rush. Furthermore, general manager Ryan Grigson said yesterday on Colts Roundtable on 1070 the Fan that Mathis was indeed limited this preseason with an injury (head coach Chuck Pagano had given the indication during preseason that it was mainly just for rest purposes).

“We know Robert can play football, Grigson said. “He had some things slowing him down from a health standpoint during preseason and we didn’t want to accentuate that, so we had to be smart with him. Of course any player that’s going out there for the first time has got to shake off a little bit of rust, but the effort was there. He was involved in plays, and I think those plays that maybe he left on the field he’s going to make up the difference here moving forward because he’s getting used to the game speed and so forth. But Robert Mathis is always going to go out there and lay it on the line. Just his sheer presence helps tilt the field for us. So he’s going to be fine.”

So Grigson acknowledged that Mathis was dealing with an injury during preseason and that the Colts didn’t want to make it worse, so that and the information about Mathis being in a protective boot with a toe injury fits together. That makes it especially worth watching, as if indeed it was the same toe issue that limited him in the preseason (and we don’t have confirmation, just an educated guess by putting the pieces together) then it’s possible it’s a lingering thing.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/13/12909030/robert-mathis-wearing-protective-boot-for-toe-issue-colts

I still think expecting Mathis to be the defensive savior in the pass rush anymore is grasping straws. What I seen out of him last Sunday didn't change my concern for having him here as the guy who will be the disruption on our team. Game one and he is already limited to his feet, that and his age isn't a good combo for the next 15+ games. 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I still think expecting Mathis to be the defensive savior in the pass rush anymore is grasping straws. What I seen out of him last Sunday didn't change my concern for having him here as the guy who will be the disruption on our team. Game one and he is already limited to his feet, that and his age isn't a good combo for the next 15+ games. 

I never said mathis was going to save our pass rush. I even stated that if Anderson can return to form, he will take up the double teams that Mathis used to demand. I kind of mentioned 3 players actually idk if you missed that part...?

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Mathis and Anderson, really haven't seen the field together for any significant amount of time. 

If we can get Ridgway, Anderson, and Mathis all at the same time (assuming Anderson can continue where he left off) then opposing olines are going to have a little bit of a problem on their hands. Anderson will command double teams. This will only free up Mathis, and Ridgway. Which will only result in the much coveted pass rush everyone so richly desires. At the very least, we will see improvement from this area. 

Now I know that voice in your head is saying: well ICF hold on, Ridgway is a rookie. Yes this is true. But Mathis hasn't completely lost it, and I believe these guys will work off eachothers energy. 

Pairing that up with a healthy secondary and as we saw, the colts CAN stop a decent offense at the very least. All is not lost guys. Come on. 

I agree with a lot you said but when you started banking on health I knew it wasn't possible 

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

What exactly has Ridgeway shown as a pass rusher? Substitute him with a healthy Langford and maybe you have something. But, still, that group isn't likely to put fear in the hearts of any offensive line.

38 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

There was a thread pre-season with people guessing 10+ sacks from the guy. He had nothing in game one. Granted it's only one game, but he's ancient and most likely done.

11 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

What exactly has Ridgeway shown as a pass rusher? Substitute him with a healthy Langford and maybe you have something. But, still, that group isn't likely to put fear in the hearts of any offensive line.

Yeah I was hearing about him the other day, he's shown some flashes and made a couple nice plays but they said you may be able to count on him 1 out of every 10 plays.  The potential is definitely there for him to be a good player down the road but I'm not sure if he has that elite capability.  

4 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I'm telling you, the monster is just around the corner.

3 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

You guys are the most optimistic people I have been around. 

In all fairness, the pass rush will be a huge thorn in our side this year. We have literally zero and bringing extra heat with blitzing will leave even bigger gaping holes in the middle of the field.

It's not optimistic, but it's reality, we will most likely have no pass rush this year.

22 minutes ago, IinD said:

In all fairness, the pass rush will be a huge thorn in our side this year. We have literally zero and bringing extra heat with blitzing will leave even bigger gaping holes in the middle of the field.

It's not optimistic, but it's reality, we will most likely have no pass rush this year.

I agree, we have an uphill battle ahead on the defensive side of the ball. But as we know, a D can turn it around half way through the season and take you to the SB. 

I am not calling Ridgway or Anderson, or even Mathis a pro bowler for the year. I am simply saying, that these 3 guys have an opportunity to be on the field at the same time. 

When Anderson was healthy last year, we saw perry do pretty decent compared to when he was out. I honestly think that Ridgway has more talent than Perry. I am saying as a unit, all three of these guys can get at the QB. Not alone, but together. We saw what having freeney did for mathis, for years. 

What pass rush have we had to speak of for the last 5 years? Is it so hard to fathom, that we may have the best defensive line we have had in the luck era so far? As if our pass rush has gotten worse? You guys can keep crying about no pass rush or LBrs. But I'm going to look at what we have, and see some potential. 

Cant wait for the draft. Jeez. 

11 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I agree, we have an uphill battle ahead on the defensive side of the ball. But as we know, a D can turn it around half way through the season and take you to the SB. 

I am not calling Ridgway or Anderson, or even Mathis a pro bowler for the year. I am simply saying, that these 3 guys have an opportunity to be on the field at the same time. 

When Anderson was healthy last year, we saw perry do pretty decent compared to when he was out. I honestly think that Ridgway has more talent than Perry. I am saying as a unit, all three of these guys can get at the QB. Not alone, but together. We saw what having freeney did for mathis, for years. 

What pass rush have we had to speak of for the last 5 years? Is it so hard to fathom, that we may have the best defensive line we have had in the luck era so far? As if our pass rush has gotten worse? You guys can keep crying about no pass rush or LBrs. But I'm going to look at what we have, and see some potential. 

Cant wait for the draft. Jeez. 

I've learned it's much more fun to share your optimism with others who feel the same way.  The ones who don't I don't even spend much time trying to convince otherwise.  I eventually just drop out of the conversation.  I like what you are thinking though.  Pass Rush should be better when we get more of our linemen back who command more than single block attention. That and getting our corners and safeties back.

6 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Anderson played 9 games last year.       He had one sack.      That's 1.

I don't think coming off knee surgery Anderson should be viewed as a big pass rush threat.

In his prime,  when healthy,   I expect Anderson to be a 4-6 sack guy.      One year he might get a little more,  but most years,  I'd anticipate 4-6.       We might get it,  but I wouldn't expect it.    It's not Henry's game.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think coming off knee surgery Anderson should be viewed as a big pass rush threat.

In his prime,  when healthy,   I expect Anderson to be a 4-6 sack guy.      One year he might get a little more,  but most years,  I'd anticipate 4-6.       We might get it,  but I wouldn't expect it.    It's not Henry's game.

What pass rush have we had to speak of for the last 5 years? Is it so hard to fathom, that we may have the best defensive line we have had in the luck era so far? As if our pass rush has gotten worse?

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think coming off knee surgery Anderson should be viewed as a big pass rush threat.

I don't understand how you can say it's not his game based solely on a shortened rookie year in which he excelled. He didn't get home but he pushed the pocket and showed the ability to rush. In college he was nearly unblockable. It's well known that rushing the passer is one of the hardest transitions from the college level to the NFL. Geno Atkins and Gerald McCoy both had 3 sacks their rookie years. JJ Watt only had 5.5 his rookie year, the next year 20.5.

The sky is the limit for HA and that includes rushing the passer. 

22 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

What pass rush have we had to speak of for the last 5 years? Is it so hard to fathom, that we may have the best defensive line we have had in the luck era so far? As if our pass rush has gotten worse?

Good post.     Agreed!

I think there's talent on the DL.      And I hope Pagano and the new DC can use it effectively.....

10 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I don't understand how you can say it's not his game based solely on a shortened rookie year in which he excelled. He didn't get home but he pushed the pocket and showed the ability to rush. In college he was nearly unblockable rushing the passer. It's well known that rushing the passer is one of the hardest transitions from the college level to the NFL. Geno Atkins and Gerald McCoy both had 3 sacks their rookie years. JJ Watt only had 5.5 his rookie year, the next year 20.5.

The sky is the limit for HA and that includes rushing the passer.

I'm saying that because he wasn't a huge sack guy at Stanford either.

He's not bad at it.      I just don't see him as an 8-10 sack guy.     I see 4-6 for Anderson.

I'm just offering some context.

As always in these cases,  I'd love to be wrong.     Whenever it helps the Colts,  I'm perfectly happy to be wrong!

4 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I don't understand how you can say it's not his game based solely on a shortened rookie year in which he excelled. He didn't get home but he pushed the pocket and showed the ability to rush. In college he was nearly unblockable rushing the passer. It's well known that rushing the passer is one of the hardest transitions from the college level to the NFL. Geno Atkins and Gerald McCoy both had 3 sacks their rookie years. JJ Watt only had 5.5 his rookie year, the next year 20.5.

Anderson is nowhere near as athletic as Watt and Atkins and McCoy. He is much more stiff as well. He has some trouble breaking down in space

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Anderson is nowhere near as athletic as Watt and Atkins and McCoy. He is much more stiff as well. He has some trouble breaking down in space

Didn't say he was, Gavin. With that said, he's a pretty darn good athlete who's intelligent and uses his hands beautifully. I have no doubt he can be a darn good rusher.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

Didn't say he was, Gavin. With that said, he's a pretty darn good athlete who's intelligent and uses his hands beautifully. I have no doubt he can be a darn good rusher.

I believe he can make an impact too.  He had all kind of pressures on the QB at Stanford. Just needs to develop as a pass rusher.  He already admitted he really only had like one pass rush move that usually worked at Stanford, but not so much in the NFL.   Can't wait to see what he's added.

5 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I never said mathis was going to save our pass rush. I even stated that if Anderson can return to form, he will take up the double teams that Mathis used to demand. I kind of mentioned 3 players actually idk if you missed that part...?

I don't believe I quoted you so I was pointing this comment at you, I'm stating this in general to a group of people who kept pointing out before he ever played any snaps in preseason that he was going to be a monster and back to his old self. I said he was just going to be old. Speed guys just fall off a ledge and go away quickly. Now will ANDERSON help, probably but again, we are assuming we are going to have a healthy and repaired Anderson and not a second year guy still trying to get back from a big knee injury. I am tempering my enthusiasm until I see something out of this group that shows me we have more than talent on paper. 

If the Colts can draft a true pass rusher, that would help him more than anything.  Give the other team that one person that they have to double team, and I believe Anderson will excel.  He is very smart, uses his hands wonderfully, and has a good motor, he will figure it out.  Just give him some time to get healthy, I believe he could be the steal of last years draft.

5 hours ago, IinD said:

There was a thread pre-season with people guessing 10+ sacks from the guy. He had nothing in game one. Granted it's only one game, but he's ancient and most likely done.

Yes, I recalled those predictions and some were more than 14 sacks. While I don't think he is completely done, as he may have some rust, I do think he will need someone else to assist in disrupting the line to allow him to get through. I am going to guess 5 sacks and hope I'm way wrong.