Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Avoid the slow starts? (merge)

theanarchist

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

True true but anyone watching Gore last season saw that he's lost it. He even had fumbling issues. Despite the poor run blocking it was still apparent. We need another back to step up in a big way this year 

So watching Gore run and catch for over 1,000 yards with a less than average O-line is saying he has lost it? I must have been watching different games than you?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So watching Gore run and catch for over 1,000 yards with a less than average O-line is saying he has lost it? I must have been watching different games than you?

if you go by total yardage it looked like a good season, if you go by ypc it was not a very good season

he did some things to help us win games, and he did things that really screwed us.  liked dropped passes and the fumble in the jets games

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There's really zero argument here. Gore last year vs Gore a few years ago is a completely different player,  he's lost a step and then some. Not every player the Colts have craps gold and that is okay. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, Jim H. said:

For one scrap the OVERALL gameplan of starting the game in the power formation with 1st and 2nd down runs up the middle TRYING to establish some type of running game behind a suspect o-line. Come out in multiple formations and MIX up the playcalling. Too many 3rd and longs with wasted runs early leading to opposing blitzes against Luck on critical downs. Dictate to the defense and keep THEM on their heels by going hurry up some in the FIRST half (in which Luck seems to strive) instead of when trailing BIG in the second half out of necessity. I don't care HOW they do it short passing game, quick strike, long drives whatever but touchdowns need to become a priority instead of settling for punts or fgs.

Make NO mistake about it Chuck has plenty to do with the slow starts. No he is not calling the offensive plays as hc BUT he has an OVERALL gameplan and it's up to the oc to carry it out. I've heard him on several times state the Colts WANT to pound the ball on offense with the run game and eat up clock. Well seeing that your o-line is NOT physical and you have Luck with speedy receivers that you do damage with in COMEBACK efforts... try using the Pats approach by using short passes as runs softening up defenses to CREATE running lanes.

You best believe Saban, Belichick or whoever will not sit back and WATCH any coordinator run something in the grand scheme of things that they didn't like without reeling them in. I never thought Pep should have been the oc in the first place but the MAIN selling point was his familiarity with Luck AND the fact that he came from Stanford that played power smash mouth football on offense. Trailing big in many games and the need to score in a hurry led to low % passing game under Pep. Think about it Greg Mac was fired as dc for being too vanilla YET that was his MO everywhere he had lost his job at BUT Chuck as a defensive guy and the hc had NO say so in his defensive playcalling? Lol

How many quarters, how many games, how many seasons, can we sit and watch this team start so slow?   One or two games ok.  But this has been going on for years now.  

No life.

No energy.

No enthusiasm.

No game planning.

How Irsay could not only keep Pagano and Grigson here, but to extend them?  Defies belief.  Would really like to have the organics he is smoking, because it must be one heckuva drug to leave reality in such a way.

12 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Notice as I type this we passing now we playing better, ok I'm gonna say it 

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

Smh 

We are* a passing team 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, theanarchist said:

This is what I'm going to be looking for as the season opens. I know  there's lots of other things to be worried about but last year, especially, the team was so sluggish on offense in the first half that they had to dig themselves out of a hole every week it seemed. I don't know if you can blame it on coaching or play calling or what but it just seemed like the team, especially on offense, was not prepared or did not have any cohesiveness early in games. Hope to see that change this year.

I remember hearing, either last year or the year before from Pagano stating there's really nothing they can do about it.

lol

9 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Notice as I type this we passing now we playing better, ok I'm gonna say it 

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

We our a passing team

Smh 

They have night classes to finish school now. Maybe a basic spelling class would be a good place to start?

9 hours ago, threeflight said:

How many quarters, how many games, how many seasons, can we sit and watch this team start so slow?   One or two games ok.  But this has been going on for years now.  

No life.

No energy.

No enthusiasm.

No game planning.

How Irsay could not only keep Pagano and Grigson here, but to extend them?  Defies belief.  Would really like to have the organics he is smoking, because it must be one heckuva drug to leave reality in such a way.

Really? That comment makes me think it is you who partakes in some sort of drug use?

I think the calls to start the game were based on anxiety that Andrew would be a little rusty in the first half. And the coaches probably expected the defense to play a lot better, as was the case last year. Obviously, if that indeed was their strategy, it all blew up in their face. 

I'm curious to see how Chud responds next weekend. The play calling improved drastically as the game wore on. Last year he called a fantastic game against Denver, will we see that again? Luck has the tools he needs this year to make something special on the offense. 

Let's establish the run by letting Luck loose right off the get-go: TY, Moncrief and Dorsett proved that they are a force to fear on the field. We finally have more than one security blanket from the receiving corps. 

As usual we started slow, but I really like where we are offensively speaking.  That was one of the top ranked defensive units from last year and we shredded them like it was just routine.   If we can get this defense to play maybe 50 to 75 percent better next week against Denver I think we can get out of there with a win.  I fully expect we'll play like we are extremely hungry out there.  I just know it.