Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Morris

BProland85

Why is this guy not on the practice squad over a guy like Christopher Milton? He has much more potential than Tolzien and if he keeps improving we could have an enticing trade bait player on our hands. Just my two cents and for all I know they still are looking to add him to the squad soon.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why is this guy not on the practice squad over a guy like Christopher Milton? He has much more potential than Tolzien and if he keeps improving we could have an enticing trade bait player on our hands. Just my two cents and for all I know they still are looking to add him to the squad soon.

I wouldn't worry about it.  You don't see anyone else picking him up, right?  As far as trade bait, it's kind of hard to entice someone unless the guy gets actual NFL game time and shows he can play. 

Although, someone gave up a draft pick for Clipboard Jesus, so I guess anything is possible!

Oh come on guys its not like he is the second coming of Joe Montana. He made some good decisions and had some promising accuracy but he still needs development before he'd ever be ready for the rigors of a regular season NFL game.

He'll be on the practice squad soon enough. He was released and no one has even entertained the idea of picking him up. It's fine.

He has more potential but I don't think he's really likely to be trade bait.  

I don't like keeping Tolzien over him mostly because I felt Morris did a better job in pre-season and Tolzien doesn't have any kind of good regular season resume to back him up.  

But Morris has been around the league for 2 years now and hasn't latched on to any particular team.  I think if there was belief in him having great potential that he would have stuck with someone.  

Personally I just think he's better then Tolzien but that isn't saying much.

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I believe it is because Stephen Morris has not technically cleared waivers until 4pmET time tonight. If he clears waivers we can then add him to our practice squad.

Just now, SDakColts said:

I believe it is because Stephen Morris has not technically cleared waivers until 4pmET time tonight. If he clears waivers we can then add him to our practice squad.

This ^^^^ Grigs pretty much said they want him on the PS earlier today

All this talk about what a great talent he is, but in 3 years he's been with 3 different teams, was released by each one and cleared waivers each time.  Yeah, he's certainly a hot commodity alright. :sip:

I think it's time for some people to admit that he's this year's Da'rick Rogers/John Chick/Caesar Rayford.

7 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

All this talk about what a great talent he is, but in 3 years he's been with 3 different teams, was released by each one and cleared waivers each time.  Yeah, he's certainly a hot commodity alright. :sip:

I think it's time for some people to admit that he's this year's Da'rick Rogers/John Chick/Caesar Rayford.

I agree with you on Morris. But Da'Rick Rogers actually showed what he could do on the field. He had over 100 yards in his 1st career game against Cincy. Then he had that great catch in the playoffs against KC that started that incredible comeback. It was the off the field issues that was the problem. That kid had the talent to be a number 1 WR IMO, and if he had of stayed out of trouble he would probably be an established star by now. But this is all JMO of course.

11 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Ha, just saw this after making my post...

Kudos, you beat me to it...

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I agree with you on Morris. But Da'Rick Rogers actually showed what he could do on the field. He had over 100 yards in his 1st career game against Cincy. Then he had that great catch in the playoffs against KC that started that incredible comeback. It was the off the field issues that was the problem. That kid had the talent to be a number 1 WR IMO, and if he had of stayed out of trouble he would probably be an established star by now. But this is all JMO of course.

Well, the other problem with Rogers was that he only showed anything in those 2 games.  After that he didn't do squat.  Believe me, I was as hopeful for him to succeed as anyone and of the list of players I mentioned, he was the one I thought had the best chance to make it.  If he truly had the talent to be a star then some team would have given him another chance.  T.O. and Moss were headcases too but they legitimately did have the talent to make some teams overlook their attitudes and off-field actions.  :)

5 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Morris probably declined an offer to be on the practice squad cause he's secretly off in the Caribbean livin' it up with Mike Hart, Duron Carter, & DaRick Rogers

LOL Mike Hart. What ever year that was (don't remember) I met this guy from NY. BIG Syracuse fan. Like HUGE Syracuse fan. He was one of the most jacked up, hyper people I've ever met. We talked a lot of football, but anyways. He kept telling me what kind of surprise we were getting with this Mike Hart. He kept on and on like he was going to be a superstar LOL.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL Mike Hart. What ever year that was (don't remember) I met this guy from NY. BIG Syracuse fan. Like HUGE Syracuse fan. Anyways. He kept telling me what kind of surprise we were getting with this Mike Hart. He kept on and on like he was going to be a superstar LOL.

Weird, didn't Hart play for Michigan???

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL Mike Hart. What ever year that was (don't remember) I met this guy from NY. BIG Syracuse fan. Like HUGE Syracuse fan. Anyways. He kept telling me what kind of surprise we were getting with this Mike Hart. He kept on and on like he was going to be a superstar LOL.

well, to be fair to Hart, his problems were more injury related than talent.  Well, he was injured too often to truly see what kind of talent he had.  :)

I like Morris, I think he showed some good things this pre-season and I admit he's probably better than Tolzien.  But, he was largely going against 3rd stringers, AND let's face it, if Luck goes down again this team aint gonna do squat anyway.  Hope we NEVER see him in a regular game unless we're up 40.

Interesting comment about his salary. Wonder if there was some competition with other teams interested in him for their practice squad. 

@Rand_Getlin: I'm told QB Stephen Morris cleared waivers and has signed to the #Colts practice squad. Making $20K per week which is the most in the NFL.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

The fact that you actually typed the words "enticing trade bait player" in reference to Morris is all kinds of funny.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL Mike Hart. What ever year that was (don't remember) I met this guy from NY. BIG Syracuse fan. Like HUGE Syracuse fan. He was one of the most jacked up, hyper people I've ever met. We talked a lot of football, but anyways. He kept telling me what kind of surprise we were getting with this Mike Hart. He kept on and on like he was going to be a superstar LOL.

You thinking of Delone Carter?

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Well, the other problem with Rogers was that he only showed anything in those 2 games.  After that he didn't do squat.  Believe me, I was as hopeful for him to succeed as anyone and of the list of players I mentioned, he was the one I thought had the best chance to make it.  If he truly had the talent to be a star then some team would have given him another chance.  T.O. and Moss were headcases too but they legitimately did have the talent to make some teams overlook their attitudes and off-field actions.  :)

Huh?  He averaged over 10 yards per catch in every game he played, wasn't targeted often...... and as for showing nothing after those games, he only played in the Playoff game the week after the KC game, then was cut before the next year......  so, aside from the off-field issues, you were unhappy with his play in 3 games in his entire 7 game Colts career, playoffs included? lol

2 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Interesting comment about his salary. Wonder if there was some competition with other teams interested in him for their practice squad. 

@Rand_Getlin: I'm told QB Stephen Morris cleared waivers and has signed to the #Colts practice squad. Making $20K per week which is the most in the NFL.

He probably deserves to be the highest paid PS player.

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Based on what?  Or are you being sarcastic

That one pass...man it had ZIP on it...threaded it through like 15 defenders.

...and by 15 defenders he obviously threw the pass away to the sideline but man it zipped right in there right through 15 defenders just like I said. Hit the gatorade cooler right on the money.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Based on what?  Or are you being sarcastic

No.  I think he is shown to be a very competent player at a valued position.  

Not good enough to be on a roster, but I assume he's good enough to where several teams might want him on their PS.

53 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

riggghht..... did you watch those games, or do you just not remember that team?  TY, Reggie, a base 2 TE offense.......  he wasn't usually on the field......

The colts were decimated by injuries at WR at the time. That's why rogers was brought up from the practice squad in the first place.

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

riggghht..... did you watch those games, or do you just not remember that team?  TY, Reggie, a base 2 TE offense.......  he wasn't usually on the field......

Ps. Reggie was on IR.  Dwayne Allen was on IR.  Doyle was the #2 TE and Hayward-bey was the #2 receiver.  So yeah, rogers got plenty of opportunities

18 hours ago, Jason_S said:

To be totally fair though Rogers didn't leave himself much chance on the field.  He only really got to play in a handful of games for one season and then got himself in trouble. 

It's not out of the ordinary for wide receivers to have mediocre stats or be inconsistent their first year and then takeoff.

Moncrief wasn't very impressive his first year.  It's obviously something we can't know for sure but I think it's still plausible that he could have been at the very least a starter if he didn't get himself into trouble.  

But the guy was a headcase in college and couldn't stick with a college team and I'm guessing that didn't really change in the NFL.  And if you are a UDFA like he was, the NFL doesn't have a lot of patience to wait for you to grow up and be a pro.