Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos/Panthers season opener predictions

Jules

I am torn on this one so far. Broncos at home might show up big but the Panthers have had ALL offseason to hear about how they lost the Super Bowl and Cam might show up for this one on the road?

I want to pick the Panthers but I still can see Cam's performance in my head in the Super Bowl.

And yeah for the Broncos, that Manning guy is gone. So........the Panthers D might be able to win this game.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Panthers will win IMO. The Broncos are starting an unproven QB and I can see that Panthers Defense swallowing him up! Revenge for the SB loss.

I should just take Carolina then. But, I am not that high on this........

Ugh.

Peyton was terrible last year but Trevor Sieman or whatever his name is, will not be able to do anything against Carolina's defense. Denver's defense last year was on a mission last year and they were tremendous, but they're gonna fall back to earth this year. The loss of Jackson and Trevathan will hurt more than people might think, and Cam will just have a much better game. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am thinking the same thing but I have a bad feeling that the Panthers want some revenge.

My thinking too. I think Carolina's D might be enough to win this game (I think) but at the same time Carolina needs to adjust to that......"performance" their offense had in the Super Bowl. lmao 

And then if the Broncos lose they might go after us week 2. lmao 

Okay I better just stop. 

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

My thinking too. I think Carolina's D might be enough to win this game (I think) but at the same time Carolina needs to adjust to that......"performance" their offense had in the Super Bowl. lmao 

And then if the Broncos lose they might go after us week 2. lmao 

Okay I better just stop. 

Who knows maybe we can put them in an 0-2 hole if they do lose to the Panthers? I bet their fanbase would go in panic mode if that happened. They aren't use to that.

With Peyton, you at least had to respect the fact that he would know based on alignment where the blitzes are coming on key downs and situations. With Siemian, I bet Ron Rivera and his coaching staff tests him often and early right down the A gap where the Broncos' OL is weaker with Evan Mathis no longer around. 

It will probably be low scoring enough but Panthers pull this off 23-17 with a garbage TD for Denver.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With Peyton, you at least had to respect the fact that he would know based on alignment where the blitzes are coming on key downs and situations. With Siemian, I bet Ron Rivera and his coaching staff tests him often and early right down the A gap where the Broncos' OL is weaker with Evan Mathis no longer around. 

It will probably be low scoring enough but Panthers pull this off 23-17 with a garbage TD for Denver.

That is where Denver will miss Peyton and what a lot of people don't give Peyton credit for in last years Playoffs. He was the master at changing plays at the line and reading Defenses in his day which makes a significant difference in close games. I have a feeling this is going to be a long season for Broncos QB's. Their Defense is still Great but it will be only able to win so many games. If I was betting on this game I would go Panthers.

When I watched Cam Newton in the dress rehearsal game, he looked just awful. He couldn't connect with any WRs & all his throws were way too high. He didn't even look like a QB that could make a roster. Really, it was that atrocious. 

Look, I know Cam will be Cam when the season starts, but I still think Von Miller is in Newton's head. Denver's defense steals Mr. Dab's heart again by 7 points easy. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

When I watched Cam Newton in the dress rehearsal game, he looked just awful. He couldn't connect with any WRs & all his throws were way too high. He didn't even look like a QB that could make a roster. Really, it was that atrocious. 

Look, I know Cam will be Cam when the season starts, but I still think Von Miller is in Newton's head. Denver's defense steals Mr. Dab's heart again by 7 points easy. 

I agree, I saw Cam vs. the Patriots in preseason and he was atrocious.....he was still in "Super Bowl form".

But, the Panthers D still looks very good to me so thats that......

21 minutes ago, Jules said:

I agree, I saw Cam vs. the Patriots in preseason and he was atrocious.....he was still in "Super Bowl form".

But, the Panthers D still looks very good to me so thats that......

Yeah, I catch your drift Jules in terms of Trevor S. running away from the buzzsaw that is LB Luke Kuechley & Thomas Davis sure. But, Newton has to contend with Ward, Talib, & Harris Jr. in the 'No Fly Zone' secondary. Don't underestimate that. 

It boils down to how effective RB CJ Anderson is truthfully IMO for short down conversions on 3rd down. 

The 1 guy on the Panthers that scares me is TE Greg Olson. He's a coach's kid & he's so darn smart. I love the guy. Man, I wish he played for INDY. 

"In my mind I'm going to Carolina."

I don't trust Denver's quarterback situation, and Carolina will be eager for revenge. Maybe Cam hasn't done well in preseason, but I think that he'll come around in the regular season. Besides, Denver will be missing some key players.

On a side note, not worried about the Colts facing Denver. They have most often had the Broncos' number.

I'm going for the Panthers.  I am not putting trust in Simiean,  I don't think they'll find the end zone very often against Carolina.  And I like the Carolina offense with Benjamin and Funchess on the field at the same time.  Should be able to get some deep shots. I feel like the Panthers will make some key adjustments to how they played Denver in the Super Bowl.    I just can't go for Denver with Simien in there.

30 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think Carolina will win by 10 pts.  I may be the only person who thinks this but I think Denver's going to take a step back this year.  I could be wrong though.  I can't wait until tomorrow.  Just like everyone else, I am ready for the 2016 season to kick off!

You may be right. I do think the Panthers' D might be due for some defensive scoring in this game, more than the Broncos' D due to the hunger.

Wade Philips' Ds normally take a slight step backwards in season 2 of him running a D. Plus, the hunger may not be the same, the desperation you saw with so many guys in contract years (Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Von Miller all on the same side of the ball of which 2 are gone) may not be the same. I expect their run D to take a step backwards more than anything else.

Plus, people forget that the Broncos had a 7-0 start to the season followed by 5-4 to finish it. Like all SB winners since the divisions were formed, SB winners have gone at least 6-2 in the first 8 games and even if they have a late season slump, spring back to the form that won them those games in the beginning, IMO. Even wild card teams like 2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts, 2007 & 2011 Giants, 2010 Packers, 2012 Ravens, all had the same theme. Injuries or a slump derails the latter part of the season and then a few good breaks, they win it all. However, that initial equity they get in those first 8 games is invaluable, based on history.

You can safely scratch any team that is below 6-2 after 8 games, that is my bold prediction :) with my patterns.

35 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think Carolina will win by 10 pts.  I may be the only person who thinks this but I think Denver's going to take a step back this year.  I could be wrong though.  I can't wait until tomorrow.  Just like everyone else, I am ready for the 2016 season to kick off!

You are not the only person who thinks this. As you probably know if you have read my Posts, I picked the Broncos to win the SB before the season started last season. Now I have my doubts they will even make the Playoffs this upcoming season. Chiefs will win that Division and the Raiders are much improved as well. I think Panthers win this game as well, maybe something like 24-17.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You may be right. I do think the Panthers' D might be due for some defensive scoring in this game, more than the Broncos' D due to the hunger.

Wade Philips' Ds normally take a slight step backwards in season 2 of him running a D. Plus, the hunger may not be the same, the desperation you saw with so many guys in contract years (Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Von Miller all on the same side of the ball of which 2 are gone) may not be the same. I expect their run D to take a step backwards more than anything else.

Plus, people forget that the Broncos had a 7-0 start to the season followed by 5-4 to finish it. Like all SB winners since the divisions were formed, SB winners have gone at least 6-2 in the first 8 games and even if they have a late season slump, spring back to the form that won them those games in the beginning, IMO. Even wild card teams like 2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts, 2007 & 2011 Giants, 2010 Packers, 2012 Ravens, all had the same theme. Injuries or a slump derails the latter part of the season and then a few good breaks, they win it all. However, that initial equity they get in those first 8 games is invaluable, based on history.

You can safely scratch any team that is below 6-2 after 8 games, that is my bold prediction :) with my patterns.

I see what you are saying.  I just don't trust their second year QB and as you said there defense did lose quite a few pieces.  My gut feeling says they won't win the division or even make the playoffs.  I have been wrong before though.  Maybe the QB will do a great job and the defense will pick up where it left off last year.  Only time will tell!

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are not the only person who thinks this. As you probably know if you have read my Posts, I picked the Broncos to win the SB before the season started last season. Now I have my doubts they will even make the Playoffs this upcoming season. Chiefs will win that Division and the Raiders are much improved as well. I think Panthers win this game as well, maybe something like 24-17.

I agree.  I am picking the Raiders to find take a step forward and win the division but it wouldn't surprise me if the Chiefs pulled it out.

4 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree.  I am picking the Raiders to find take a step forward and win the division but it wouldn't surprise me if the Chiefs pulled it out.

I think Chiefs and Raiders both make the Playoffs and I am leaning toward the Broncos being out because I think the Bengals are good for 10 wins. Steelers IMO will win the AFC North, then you have the Colts and Patriots as usual getting in as Division winners. The bolded are 6 teams. 

I'm taking Denver regardless of any pro-con debates.

Its a home game in Denver. Cam cant throw for crap.

Even if Cam wins this game the Panthers will have  poor year all around.

nothing will change about the Panthers offense. The Broncos can attack them the same way they did in the SB

21 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Peyton was terrible last year but Trevor Sieman or whatever his name is, will not be able to do anything against Carolina's defense. Denver's defense last year was on a mission last year and they were tremendous, but they're gonna fall back to earth this year. The loss of Jackson and Trevathan will hurt more than people might think, and Cam will just have a much better game. 

Denver wont miss Peyton until the 4th quarter....and the post-season....I just  don't know what Siemian is like.

...but Denver's O-line is much better than last year...

Cam has to run the ball which he didn't so in the Super Bowl when they fell behind quickly

21 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I gotta go with the Panthers.  I think they'll be hungry for a win, while the Broncos have lost a few pieces from their defense.  And while Peyton wasn't amazing last year, he still had the cerebral part of it. 

The panthers lost a guy that was in the running for DPOY.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

The panthers lost a guy that was in the running for DPOY.

I feel like Norman was more of a system guy and I think he'll get exposed in Washington.  Not only that, but it hurts more to lose a Peyton Manning (even a less than 100% Peyton) than it does to lose a premier CB

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I feel like Norman was more of a system guy and I think he'll get exposed in Washington.  Not only that, but it hurts more to lose a Peyton Manning (even a less than 100% Peyton) than it does to lose a premier CB

Denver will miss Peyton much more than they think with the QB situation they have now. They will be lucky to make the Playoffs IMO. Chiefs and Raiders are coming bigtime!

21 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That Peyton Manning was at about 30%

Some of these close predictions are wishful thinking. I think we all know this will be a forgetable opener. The closest thing to a fun game will be seeing the bodies fly if Carolina comes out mad. It's possible that they've lost it though because that's not uncommon with the SB loser. That will leave us with a broken SB team vs the Broncos. Even if the Broncos defense is good, that doesn't make a game out of this. They might win the thing but it will be every bit as lame as some of those early season wins last year. There's also the possibility of the defense losing a step or 10. I'm not betting on it but they wouldn't be the first elite defense to have a short lifespan.

So anyway my prediction is the only 1 left. I predict that the Panthers beat the Broncos in a sloppy game that the defense keeps the Broncos in but doesn't quite win. This will be the worst season opener since 2010 lol!