Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's the deal with our RB's?

Pacergeek

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Archer said:

The RBs have been one of the pleasant surprises of camp, with Gore, Turbin, Ferguson, and Trey Williams all getting very positive remarks from the camp tweeters.  This thread comes at a time when it should be dawning on us that the RBs may actually be good this year...

Why because they look good in shorts with no contact? So do the majority of RBs in camps around the league.

8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

To be honest, I don't think it's been bad RB evaluation, outside the Richardson debacle but I chalk that up to new GM learning curve. I feel like the problem in running was 2 things. First awful oline production and two, awful play calling. Look, this team hasn't been able to run a screen for several years and the running game has been pretty bad since Addai's first year in the league. 

I have confidence that a new oline coach and OC will resolve enough of the issues that we can get the RB issue resolved just enough to open up the playbook and get Luck back on track. Picking 4 new olineman should help in the long run however, it seems like we are only changing the center position with new bodies. Maybe that's all we really need as that spot did not produce anything positive the past 3-4 years. 

How is making a horrible trade for a guy that didn't even looking good for the team that drafted him chalked up to "learning curve".  Grigson had been evaluating talent for years before that trade.

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My point is, a speeding ticket would not prove that.  I've known a lot of people who have been caught speeding that have never beat their wife/girlfriend.  And I'm sure the reverse is true, there are probably people who beat their wife/girlfriend that have never got caught speeding.

But really, in some fans eyes, how far does someone have to go where it doesn't matter if he can help your favorite team win a couple of football games that you just don't want a person like that associated with your favorite team?

It's sickening really what some people are willing to overlook.

Yep

12 hours ago, Cynjin said:

IMO, the lack of a good running game has more to do with the poor play of the Oline, especially the middle of the Oline, than the overall quality of the running backs.

This x's a billion. Frank Gore is one of the greatest ever and even he couldn't get 1000 yards behind the line last year. Theres not much a RB can do if they have 2 guys in their face as soon as they get the ball. This year the run game will be much better though.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

The poster is a troll because he's concerned about our pedestrian rb corps??

No, hes a troll because hes freaking out over the RBs when we haven't even watched them play yet. OP has already decided they suck it sounds like.

OP is a known troll anyway.

9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think they're going to give Gore fewer carries to keep him fresh for longer throughout the season.  Add that with what should be an improved OL and I think our running game should be alright.

Chud said Gore will not be on a pitch count this year. Of course, that doesn't mean he will get more but it might be about the same. 

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ray Rice?

I say why not & he said he would donate his 2016 salary to charity I think donating to a charity something along the lines of domestic violence would be a good thing he's available give him a shot .

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17120295/ray-rice-willing-donate-entire-2016-salary-signed-nfl-team

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

How is making a horrible trade for a guy that didn't even looking good for the team that drafted him chalked up to "learning curve".  Grigson had been evaluating talent for years before that trade.

The Colts have had Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Edgerrin James... 3 HOFers, didn't win a Super Bowl with any of them.

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

No, hes a troll because hes freaking out over the RBs when we haven't even watched them play yet. OP has already decided they suck it sounds like.

OP is a known troll anyway.

I did say that I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Turbin isn the answer for RB2. Frank Gore runs hard, but he doesn't really scare opposing defenses anymore. He isn't close to what healthy Ahmad Bradshaw was 2 years ago. I want to like Fergusson, but I have learned my lesson after the Josh Robinson camp last summer, where everybody was saying how terrific of a camp he was having. Until you perform well in a regular season game, I do not care what you do in camp or pre season.

Depth at the running back position is questionable. In next yesrs draft we should really target Samaje Perine. Fournette will be gone, plus he's anot her weapon for Luck with an aging Gore. Well be ok this year. But in my opinion Perine is the answer. 

11 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Depth at the running back position is questionable. In next yesrs draft we should really target Samaje Perine. Fournette will be gone, plus he's anot her weapon for Luck with an aging Gore. Well be ok this year. But in my opinion Perine is the answer. 

I just want a good, exciting young RB. It has been way too long. Colts haven't drafted a good RB in 10 years, and some would argue that Joe Addai wasn't very good. One could argue the Colts haven't drafted a good RB since 1999 when we drafted Edgerrin James. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts have had Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Edgerrin James... 3 HOFers, didn't win a Super Bowl with any of them.

I'm not sure what that has to do with Grigson's evaluation skills.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

It does'nt obviously,

With rookie Joseph Addai in 2006 rushing for 1081 & Dominik Rhodes 641 it showed RB by committee works although we have had 3 HOF'ers since the Colts came here in 84 we had some really good seasons but it did'nt translate to a Lombardi .

Decent RB's & a Defense that found its grove in the playoffs & a Peyton Manning Offense did bring home the bacon it did'nt start out pretty with the interception but the end result was awesome its hard to predict the future , Whether its individual players or a defense that simply stunk up the regular season with good coaching anything is possible .

The point I'd like to make is nothing is guaranteed & a well rounded team is hard to come bye Polian had some great players he traded for Dickerson that worked out & drafted  James & Addai in his tenure but his defenses IMO were never as great as his offenses .

IMO our scouting needs to get better the GM can only do so much we here on these boards like to say no first round pick on a RB but Colts history has shown that is exactly what needed to happen to get the above mentioned while other teams are able to go deeper into the draft & find great RB's the Colts history in Indianapolis has shown little success no matter who was the GM .

Grigson took over a team starting over cutting 18 bringing in 12 & trying to build something that resembled the Manning era, Faulk was already on the team when 18 was drafted so the foundation was there then came James a Polian pick that worked out nicely . 

Grigson tried trading for Richardson hoping to set up a solid foundation for the future of course it failed but he did make the moves & took alot of heat for it . 

So now we are a RB bye committee team it is what it is, provided we have the right coachs which I think we do we can make some noise in our run towards the playoffs .

This formula has worked before .

200px-Indy_Colts_World_Champions_Banner.

11 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I believe his girlfriend forgave him & married him people make mistakes if she 's over it so should others .

I don't agree with that line of logic.  I don't base my moral compass on the actions of others, especially others that I don't even know.

9 hours ago, BOTT said:

If my memory serves me correctly, everyone was pretty excited about the Bradshaw/Ballard combo at the beginning of the '13 season. Grigson brought those guys in, right? You're really blaming "lack of evaluation skills" for their inability to stay healthy and on the field?

And if you really want to keep harping on the Richardson trade (clearly you do), understand that it literally had zero effect on our W-L record. In fact, the Colts didn't dip below an 11-win season in the Grigson era until AFTER Trent Richardson was released. How's that for irony?

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If my memory serves me correctly, everyone was pretty excited about the Bradshaw/Ballard combo at the beginning of the '13 season. Grigson brought those guys in, right? You're really blaming "lack of evaluation skills" for their inability to stay healthy and on the field?

And if you really want to keep harping on the Richardson trade (clearly you do), understand that it literally had zero effect on our W-L record. In fact, the Colts didn't dip below an 11-win season in the Grigson era until AFTER Trent Richardson was released. How's that for irony?

Care to try and prove such a statement? I'm certain you can't because it's completely erroneous.

Hell, that lost first round pick could have been a difference maker last year and/or the year before. Plus, simply having a decent RB instead of trying to force TR to be a thing for 2 years would have made the offense that much more dynamic and stable.

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Care to try and prove such a statement? I'm certain you can't because it's completely erroneous.

Hell, that lost first round pick could have been a difference maker last year and/or the year before. Plus, simply having a decent RB instead of trying to force TR to be a thing for 2 years would have made the offense that much more dynamic and stable.

So you honestly believe the Colts would've done better than 11-5 with a different RB? Maybe, but probably not. We beat teams like the Seahawks, Niners, Broncos, Packers, etc, we beat them all with a subpar run game. But Pats & Steelers still would've stomped us both years anyways, wouldn't have mattered if we had Adrian Peterson back there. So there's 2 losses right there that happen regardless of who the RB is. Mix that in with Pep's gameplanning, and a very mediocre defense, and what you get is 4-5 losses, minimum, good RB or not.

It's also funny to me when people say that Grigson can't draft and doesn't know how to evaluate players, then in the same breath say they wish we could have that first round pick back. He either sucks at drafting, or the first round pick totally would've benefitted us, but it really can't be both.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And if you really want to keep harping on the Richardson trade (clearly you do), understand that it literally had zero effect on our W-L record. In fact, the Colts didn't dip below an 11-win season in the Grigson era until AFTER Trent Richardson was released. How's that for irony?

Get a grip and stick to what I actually wrote.

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So you honestly believe the Colts would've done better than 11-5 with a different RB? Maybe, but probably not. We beat teams like the Seahawks, Niners, Broncos, Packers, etc, we beat them all with a subpar run game. But Pats & Steelers still would've stomped us both years anyways, wouldn't have mattered if we had Adrian Peterson back there. So there's 2 losses right there that happen regardless of who the RB is. Mix that in with Pep's gameplanning, and a very mediocre defense, and what you get is 4-5 losses, minimum, good RB or not.

Good grief. Absolutely, there could have been more wins in the regular season. We lost a few games in nail biters and even the blow outs may not have been blow outs if we had a semblance, or threat, of a run game. And we all know how crucial a run game is in the playoffs.

Either way, any win with TR at RB was in spite of him.

It's also funny to me when people say that Grigson can't draft and doesn't know how to evaluate players, then in the same breath say they wish we could have that first round pick back. He either sucks at drafting, or the first round pick totally would've benefitted us, but it really can't be both.

That's hilarious!

Had we had a RB like Peterson, Lynch, or Charles in 2014 I think we would've went 13-3 and had HFA in the Playoffs, Pats were 12-4 that season. Our game against the Patriots would've been 50/50 with a strong run game and the game being played in Indy. Peterson, Lynch, and Charles are the type of back's that can run well even with a mediocre O.Line. That would've took pressure off of Andrew as well trying to make every play to win games. His Turnovers would've been way down.

On August 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM, JPFolks said:

Many of us were saying it as it happened when game after game the back up RB rushed for more yards per carry than Richardson did in the same game against the same opponent behind the same line.  Why you want some sort of delusional revisionist history on it is unknown, but he rushed for less per carry game after game after game to the detriment of the team.  Shipley graded out as one of the top Centers to start the season off but was replaced by Harrison who has always been bad.  Are you suggesting Harrison was an upgrade? Not according to grading systems out there nor to the naked eye watching him fail.  At the end of the season when they put Holmes in over Harrison, Holmes also played better than Harrison.  Here we are in year 3 and Holmes is gone and Shipley is long long gone and yet Harrison sticks like a piece of nasty chewed gum under a diner table.  At the time that Harrison took over, the press and this board was all over the fact that he was playing inferior and the press continued to ask why the change and rather than say "Harrison beat out Shipley in practice" which would be easy enough (and common enough) to say, they stonewalled and refused to address it all.  Why?  And even you acknowledge it has been all this time later that Grigson finally addresses it and because he says it was all "bunk" you think of course it is all explained and the truth is out.  And Irsay had that cash on him just because, not to seek out and buy pills.  Nothing to see there... any suggestion anything inappropriate might have been going on is of course "bunk."  

Believe what you want.. but the evidence is on tape.. watch the games, read the grading stats and the yardage per rush for each game totals if you want the truth.  

Congrats.  You just made my ignore list.

the way you speak of the players, coaches, and owner, i believe you are just a negative, glass half-empty, kindcof guy.  Which is fine (i guess), but there is no room in my life for it. The Jags are the media darlings this year, maybe you'd be happier there. They have an owner with a really cool mustache that you'd probably like too:

the comments about Irsay and the pills put your views over the top for me.  Lay off the guy already.  We all have our demons. The fact is he loves this team, and tries his best to improve it. AND HAS!  Jim has done far more good for the team than bad, imho. 

Thank goodness we can block nonsense like this.

And good luck with that attitude and hate you are lugging around.

let it go, and head toward the light.  Positivity (naive or not) is a much better place to live one's life.

On August 5, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Pacergeek said:

I just want a good, exciting young RB. It has been way too long. Colts haven't drafted a good RB in 10 years, and some would argue that Joe Addai wasn't very good. One could argue the Colts haven't drafted a good RB since 1999 when we drafted Edgerrin James. 

Look around the league.  There aren't that many "exciting" young backs.  Inalso believe our OL (or lack thereof) was a major contributor to our rh issues.

someone said.. "If we had peterson, lynch, or charles.."  Well, no kidding. Those are/were possibly 3 of the best backs in football. 3 good backs that coincidentally had significantly better OLs in front of them and much better defenses to "protect" them.

btw, EJ should have been good as he was drafted so high.

its just not that easy to get good rbs.  There just aren't that many, kinda like qbs.

26 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Look around the league.  There aren't that many "exciting" young backs.  Inalso believe our OL (or lack thereof) was a major contributor to our rh issues.

someone said.. "If we had peterson, lynch, or charles.."  Well, no kidding. Those are/were possibly 3 of the best backs in football. 3 good backs that coincidentally had significantly better OLs in front of them and much better defenses to "protect" them.

btw, EJ should have been good as he was drafted so high.

its just not that easy to get good rbs.  There just aren't that many, kinda like qbs.

"They have an owner with a really cool mustache". That might be one of the best comments I have ever seen on here haha when you responded to another Poster on here. That was me regarding mentioning the RB's you referred too but I think had we had even a top 10 RB we may have went 13-3 and had HFA in 2014. My point was if we had any type of run game we would be real dangerous. We have had 1 game in Andrew's career where and RB has gone for over 100. That is pathetic. Imagine Russell Wilson having that type of running game?

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"They have an owner with a really cool mustache". That might be one of the best comments I have ever seen on here haha when you responded to another Poster on here. That was me regarding mentioning the RB's you referred too but I think had we had even a top 10 RB we may have went 13-3 and had HFA in 2014. My point was if we had any type of run game we would be real dangerous. We have had 1 game in Andrew's career where and RB has gone for over 100. That is pathetic. Imagine Russell Wilson having that type of running game?

I agree with you, our total offense will expand with a "decent" running game.  But Russel also had possibly the best defense in the league and a darn good OL.  I'd love to see us get a solid running game too.  But i think that has to start at the point of attack...: the OL.

i'm optimistic (much better that doubting) that our running game will improve this year with OL additions, coaching, and scheme/playcalling.

we can only hope.

and i hope if we struggle running the first few games, that this forum doesn't explode cuz it could take a little while until they gel.

I'm glad u liked the mustache..: it really is kinda cool.  I get really defensive when people continue to pile on Irsay for his weaknesses.  We all have demons.  But i don't like beating people up for falling short of their "best self".  I route for underdogs and like to help those with "broken wings."  Sometimes i get too defensive.  But i'll never apologize for defending those who are criticized for illness or impairments.  Its the right thing to do as a human being, imo.

GO COLTS !

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Congrats.  You just made my ignore list.

the way you speak of the players, coaches, and owner, i believe you are just a negative, glass half-empty, kindcof guy.  Which is fine (i guess), but there is no room in my life for it. The Jags are the media darlings this year, maybe you'd be happier there. They have an owner with a really cool mustache that you'd probably like too:

the comments about Irsay and the pills put your views over the top for me.  Lay off the guy already.  We all have our demons. The fact is he loves this team, and tries his best to improve it. AND HAS!  Jim has done far more good for the team than bad, imho. 

Thank goodness we can block nonsense like this.

And good luck with that attitude and hate you are lugging around.

let it go, and head toward the light.  Positivity (naive or not) is a much better place to live one's life.

So when you fail in facts you launch personal attacks.  Predictable troll behavior.  You say YOU'RE the positive one?  Laughable.  So I guess you must believe our team won the Super Bowl last year because of course stating that we finished 8-8 would be negative and glass half empty so you prefer to be positive and believe something that didn't happen instead.  Ignore away, you're already ignoring reality, so why stop there.  

On 8/5/2016 at 8:47 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't agree with that line of logic.  I don't base my moral compass on the actions of others, especially others that I don't even know.

That's fine we can agree to disagree ,

We only know what we witnessed in video & in print neither of us know  those involved or whats truly in there heart I was sickened by what I saw but I believe if the lady involved can forgive than that's a big deal & others can choose for themselves what value they place on that ,

No body in this world is free of some sin & unless there is a history or another situation then forgiveness is possible people serve time for wrong doing & afterwards are given a second chance there not banned from life ,

If this player is willing to donate his earnings to a good cause to prove himself he should be given that opportunity , The PR each week would  show others that something good could come from something bad & that domestic violence is a very serious social issue not hiding it but putting it front & center for all including those out there that might find themselves in a similar circumstance make better choices , 

IMO this would be a worthy cause putting your hands on a women is never acceptable  & it happens far to often a moral compass needs to direct us to a better destination & better outcome is all I saying, 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

So when you fail in facts you launch personal attacks.  Predictable troll behavior.  You say YOU'RE the positive one?  Laughable.  So I guess you must believe our team won the Super Bowl last year because of course stating that we finished 8-8 would be negative and glass half empty so you prefer to be positive and believe something that didn't happen instead.  Ignore away, you're already ignoring reality, so why stop there.  

I'd respond directly, but nothing you stated makes any sense.

typical fair-weather Colt fan response. I've been following the Colts since Baltimore days ,so I know what a bad team , management, and coaches really looks like. The band wagoneers that came on in the Peyton run have no clue what that looks like.

And personal attacks? I'm not the one making jokes about a guy who has an illness. An illness that uncontrollably takes over a person and their life.  ITS NOT FUNNY.  It's actually very childish.  

I'm a laughable troll?  You really need to look in the mirror dude.

a little bit of advice.... Wait until the team actually fails before you call it a failure. 

It is wrong to bring up Jim Irsay in the way that I just read there are many ways to get your point across without the personal attack .

Having said that it would be accurate to bring up for the Grigson hater that Bill Polian was the GM 14 years & drafted Edge who made a impact & Addai who with Rhodes did succeed in helping the Colts WIN a LOMBARDI but not all his picks worked out . 

Given that Grigson has been at it 4 years & started over without a Marshall Faulk  I believe he deserves a lil time to get his coaches & players where they can be successful considering the facts which are Luck has out performed Manning his first 3 years getting into the playoffs quicker each & every year than baring the injury in which in my opinion was because he tried to hard to carry this team not unlike  18 did IMO is pretty damn good I'v watched my Colts since 84 The Peyton Manning era was great but there were hiccups along the way Polian did get us to 2 Superbowls  but it was'nt easy . 

Many forget the Cardiac Colts days obviously or were just not on the bandwagon but I don't the Colts got better & there on the right track IMO once again so for the hater I say give it a break your opinion is duly noted .

Here is a link that I was just reading for any that care .

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/07/30/bill-polians-colts-perennial-laugher-perennial-contender/30872543/

Building a monster does not happen over night injuries happen setbacks occur patience is the key for this INDIANAPOLIS COLTS fan .:hat:

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'd respond directly, but nothing you stated makes any sense.

typical fair-weather Colt fan response. I've been following the Colts since Baltimore days ,so I know what a bad team , management, and coaches really looks like. The band wagoneers that came on in the Peyton run have no clue what that looks like.

And personal attacks? I'm not the one making jokes about a guy who has an illness. An illness that uncontrollably takes over a person and their life.  ITS NOT FUNNY.  It's actually very childish.  

I'm a laughable troll?  You really need to look in the mirror dude.

a little bit of advice.... Wait until the team actually fails before you call it a failure. 

I made fun of Irsay? Really?  I stated that just because someone makes a statement of denial doesn't mean it's fact and used Irsay as an example.  A nonsense statement is just that.  

You know nothing of drug addiction unless you yourself have had it or you've had to deal closely with someone who has.  If that applies then you already know that being truthful about the problem is a required step in a successful rehabilitation. Once an addict, always an addict.  All you can do is control and contain it, you can't get beyond it.  And when you lie about it or incidents involved with it, disaster often follows.  

For the record, and feel free to go back and look at the board discussions when the incident happened, I was among the most vocal supporters of Irsay when he had his very public ordeal.  But blindly accepting nonsense from someone who is addicted because you're a self described great fan is not doing them any favors.  It is often sycophants and enablers that contribute to negative outcomes for an addict.  

You attacked me because you lost an argument.  That is your problem, not mine.  You're digging the hole deeper with each post.  And you can't even maintain your own credibility as you said you were going to "ignore" me and yet here you still are.  

On 8/4/2016 at 11:45 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I think they're going to give Gore fewer carries to keep him fresh for longer throughout the season.  Add that with what should be an improved OL and I think our running game should be alright.

I'm crossing fingers that father-time doesn't reek havoc on an Achilles Tendon.  Gore has been an iron-man up to this point in his career. 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I made fun of Irsay? Really?  I stated that just because someone makes a statement of denial doesn't mean it's fact and used Irsay as an example.  A nonsense statement is just that.  

You know nothing of drug addiction unless you yourself have had it or you've had to deal closely with someone who has.  If that applies then you already know that being truthful about the problem is a required step in a successful rehabilitation. Once an addict, always an addict.  All you can do is control and contain it, you can't get beyond it.  And when you lie about it or incidents involved with it, disaster often follows.  

For the record, and feel free to go back and look at the board discussions when the incident happened, I was among the most vocal supporters of Irsay when he had his very public ordeal.  But blindly accepting nonsense from someone who is addicted because you're a self described great fan is not doing them any favors.  It is often sycophants and enablers that contribute to negative outcomes for an addict.  

You attacked me because you lost an argument.  That is your problem, not mine.  You're digging the hole deeper with each post.  And you can't even maintain your own credibility as you said you were going to "ignore" me and yet here you still are.  

Obviously u have me mixed up with someone else.  I lost no argument.  Not in this reality and dimension anyway.

and as far as credibility, well, one only needs to look back at past posts to see the truth.

i can see I'm not exactly dealing with a mental giant , so I'll let you go back to your fantasy world.  Your "arguments" have no substance, they don't really even reflect what I actually said. Maybe new glasses would help?  Heck, I don't know.

This got out of hand, when all I was doing was defending a guy dealing with demons (ps... Denial is a BIG part of that illness if you knew anything about addiction) who was being cowardly beaten up by an internet troll.  To put it in the correct context, you said Irsay "only had money because he didn't buy his pills" for god's sake.  If you don't think that is a childish, cheap shot, then I can't help you.  It's just not cool.

Where on earth you got the "we won the super bowl at 8-8", and that junk is beyond me.

the same outcomes in life are gonna happen whether we choose to be optimistic or negative about them.  What is different is how you perceive it will work out, all the while not knowing or being able to influence it. One can be hopeful and happy, or negative and let it ruin your day and affect your life.  I choose the former.  

I've been out to camp a few times and I really like the Ferguson kid. I think he is going to be used to spread the field, looks quick and fast and catches the ball well. I think they have found a change of pace guy, a Sproles type guy. He looked really good the days I was there.

21 minutes ago, Fireman818 said:

I've been out to camp a few times and I really like the Ferguson kid. I think he is going to be used to spread the field, looks quick and fast and catches the ball well. I think they have found a change of pace guy, a Sproles type guy. He looked really good the days I was there.

Yeah, I like him also.  He's a freak athlete imo, he seems to have a little bit of everything and I really hope we get to see a good dose of him tonight.  It wouldn't shock me if he has a great pre season seeing him work his way up to #2.  I also don't mind Turbin and Toddman.  I'm not really worried about this RB core as the op seems to feel.  Even if Gore got injured I'm not sure that Turbin, Ferguson and Toddman wouldn't do an adequate job.