Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Reasons to Believe the Colts Can Make the Super Bowl

WarGhost21

10 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

So a team that in your words "finally had a smart draft" and is relying on a crop of undrafted free agents to save its pass rush is now ready to win the Super Bowl this year.  That makes sense.  We will be fortunate if even one of those undrafted pass rushers becomes a significant contributor this season.  Most of these guys go undrafted for a reason although there are a few exceptions.  The point being all these guys' sacks accumulated in college and the CFL does not necessarily mean we now are loaded with guys who will get to the QB at the next level.  Most likely won't even make the team. 

How about these apples...until the Colts field a team that can actually beat New England and/or Pittsburgh they won't sniff the Super Bowl.  Hard to win the Super Bowl from the fetal position after having been pummeled into submission yet again. That's the cold reality.  When they show me they can actually do that..then I will actually allow myself to see them as a legit threat for the Super Bowl.  Until then...I love them but they are suspect. 

Totally agree!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/12/2016 at 3:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have us going 10-6 and winning the Division. I am not really sure why so many people and even many Colts fans are down on our team. I am banking on Andrew staying healthy which I think he will. I kind of love being the underdog, less pressure on us if a lot of people think we will stink.

I hear what you are saying but I think the division is going to be better this year. It will be a more competitive division. If Luck stays healthy I think we always have a fair shot against almost anyone in the NFL. Only time will tell if this draft has produced enough improvement on the offensive line to keep Luck healthy and improve the running game. The biggest weakness we have, as everyone knows, is the pass rush concern. Can this defense produce enough of a pass rush to keep games from being a track meet?

23 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I don't buy it. You guys are underrating our division.

How has our division proven they are gonna be sooooooo tough for us this year yet? Just because the Jags had a sexy draft and on paper look good means absolutely nothing right now. And Brock for the Texans could turn out to be a huuuge overpay and end up being nothing more than average. It has to make you wonder when Denver passed twice on re signing him.

I think people are underestimating the Colts more than anything. A healthy Luck with an improved O line and a resemblance of a run game in and of itself can make a world of difference for this team from last year. Not mention having a competent offensive coordinator now. And the defense can be better if the offense pulls it's weight and stay on the field for more than 30 seconds a drive not giving opposing offenses so many possessions and so much time on the field to wear our D down and score more points. That's half the reason I believe our defense had the numbers it did last year, it was put in a position for the first half of the season or so where it had to carry this team and win games for us. And it's obviously known that our D wasn't anywhere near that quality. Yet about 90% of the weight was put on them. But if the scale gets balanced out this season one has to think play and numbers will improve just based off that. Not including what difference there could be with Ted calling the D and with how he might be able to get creative and create more pressure. I think our potential for good improvement from the things I've mentioned here is just as good as the potential of the Jags to improve if not better. Relying on 3-4 rookie defensive players to come in and make a big impact on your team right away is a big gamble. I like getting Luck back, improved O line play, a proven offensive coordinator leading to an offense that can sustain drives and not leave the D on the field near as much more than having to rely on 3-4 rookies to have a big impacthing right away. Plus even without those things for the Colts, we were still +3 on the Jags in the win column.

12 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I hear what you are saying but I think the division is going to be better this year. It will be a more competitive division. If Luck stays healthy I think we always have a fair shot against almost anyone in the NFL. Only time will tell if this draft has produced enough improvement on the offensive line to keep Luck healthy and improve the running game. The biggest weakness we have, as everyone knows, is the pass rush concern. Can this defense produce enough of a pass rush to keep games from being a track meet?

I am hoping our new defensive coach can have a system that makes average players create hurries on the qb, if so we can live without sacks

On 5/12/2016 at 11:23 AM, WarGhost21 said:

Just take a look around the internet at all the haters who don't even think the Colts will make the playoffs this year. It's astounding how many people have lost faith in the franchise after a year riddled with injuries. They must not have considered how we still almost won the division (Read Here). I'm confident that the Colts still have a strong hold on the division, and even that we will make the Super Bowl. Don't believe me?? Here's 5 reasons why!

1) Healthy Luck = Healthy Chances

Looking back at last season, where we went 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs for the first time since Andrew Luck arrived, there is still reason to be positive. Luck is 3 for 3 on playoff appearances, not counting last year when he only played 7 of our 16 games. In his first three years, he led us to 11-5 records each season. That being said, I feel great about our chances of making the playoffs, even with the division rapidly improving. If Luck stays healthy (which he should behind a partially revamped line), who can't we beat??? Added to this the fact that Luck only played one game under new OC Rob Chudzinski (a win against the Super Bowl Champs), and you get a recipe for success!

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

Let's fly back a bit to mid-season last year. Sitting 3-5 after a devastating loss in OT to Carolina in a game we could have won, the front office decided to fire OC Pep Hamilton. This was quite a shocking move to make halfway through the year, with many people believing we were just giving up. Enter interim OC Rob Chudzinski. In his first week with the Colts, with a semi-healthy Luck and a game against the best defense in the NFL (and widely considered one of the best ever), every odd was stacked against him. What ended up happening was that we caught a glimpse of just how powerful the Colts offense could be. Luck threw for 252 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 21 of 39 completed passes without an interception, while also having a passer rating of 98.4, his best of the season. Gore scrambled for 83 yards and a TD on 28 carries, and the ball was very well distributed, with 4 players over 3 receptions. Luck only got sacked once, showing the offensive line was improved under Chud's quick-moving scheme. After that huge win over the eventual Super Bowl Champions, Chud soared. Over the rest of the year, he lead the crippled Colts offense to a 5-3 record, 4-3 without Luck. And who can forget his preparation of Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley in the regular season finale against the Titans. With Chud's high-octane offense and a healthy Luck next year, the sky is the limit for this offense.

3) Finally, a Smart Draft by Irsay

Now I don't want to knock Irsay at all. He's a great man with good intentions. He's just not very good when it comes to drafts. This year feels different, though. Usually, with only 8 draft picks, Owners and GMs tend to get as many playmakers as possible. Many people have frowned upon the Colts getting 4 offensive linemen in the draft, as they aren't exactly "playmakers". When you stop watching the game and watch the line, though, that's when you begin to see the real "playmakers". Providing huge blocks, preventing sacks, running their hearts out down field to try to block anybody they can to extend the play, linemen make up the heart of big plays. While the ball carrier gets all the credit for making the play happen, the behemoth men up front quietly rejoin the huddle, hoping they can get the chance to make it happen again. Their pride comes from knowing how they set up a block to extend the run or stopped a pass rush to allow the quarter back to make the magic happen. That's why I think Irsay got the real "playmakers" in the draft. Kelly will be an immediate upgrade, while Clark has the potential to be a stud once fully developed. Haeg and Blythe also have potential to be good starters in a few years. Irsay did a great job this year, and with everyone saying that we need to protect Luck, I'm surprised how well he accomplished it. Great job, Irsay!!

4) Undrafted Pass Rushers (Oh, and a drafted one)

Going into the draft, many people saw pass rush as one of our top two positions of need. They were right, but they are overreacting to how we didn't get on until the last round. We still have a starting duo next year, and with the collective 200+ sacks between Cole and Mathis, the rookies will learn a ton this year. Don't forget that the rookie LB group accumulated a combined total of 33.5 sacks in the 2015 season (and thats only among 5 players). Plus, the recent story about the Colts Pass Rush for 2016 reveals that through the last 6 weeks of 2015, we led the league with 21 sacks! The other overlooked addition in the offseason is Hassan Ridgeway, who totaled 6 sacks in 2014, Add the Okine move to OLB with 5.5 CFL sacks and we have a young group with 45 sacks in one year of college or the CFL. We are going to get after the QB this year, as well as many years to follow.

5) Our Division

Yes, the AFC South made a huge statement in the offseason with some big name acquisitions. Yes, the division does look a whole lot better than past years on paper. What you have to remember about this is our last offseason. We made huge waves in free agency, leading many to believe we would be the best team in the NFL. And if you recall, everyone was saying we looked "so much better on paper!" Boy were they wrong. This is the AFC South, where nothing ever seems to go right for anyone. The division won't blow up like everyone is saying. The Jags aren't going to win 12 plus games just because of Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, and a much improved defense. Even with that, they only went 5-11 last year. They can't get that much better with a few players. The Texans went out to grab Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller in free agency, and rounded out some rough edges on offense in the draft. Yes, they have JJ Watt. But will this put them out of reach for a team with one of the most high-octane offenses in the NFL. Doubtfully. And the Titans are going to do well a few years from now, but currently, they aren't anywhere threatening. With Luck back healthy, a better line, and Chud, we should go back to sweeping the division easily. 

Thanks for reading. This took me so long to write up so I hope you all enjoy! All you have to do now is believe! Here We Come, Super Bowl 51!!! GO BLUE!!!

Agreed. Good post. I would add that the secondary may be better with Robinson and possibly D'Joun Smith or rookie.

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

Well I have to say, I feel better about the Colts right now than I did about the Panthers last offseason, especially when Kelvin Benjamin went down. And they won 15 games and made it to the Super Bowl. 

They have a way better Defense 

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

Darn it. 

Why? 

What happens? 

What happens?....   It's called playing in the NFL.

1. Growing pains. Potentially 3 new starters adapting to the speed of the NFL. Takes time to learn how to work together.  Last year was a wash with Luck due to injuries. He will basically be new to Chud's style and what's needed. Classroom and real bullets are different.  The whole offense needs to get into sync with one another.

2. Division isn't a cake walk. The winner will be 10-6.All have improved.  9-7 will be a good record in this

division.  I just think Houston has more talent than we do.  We might squeak out a division championship but

realistically I have tempered enthusiasm. 

Before looking at the Superbowl, the Colts should just worry about improving where they were lacking at.

The biggest priority should be seeing if the new players can improve Luck's protection. Luck having time in the pocket and not getting hit is the key to the Colts.

Secondly they need to evaluate the young guns on defense and see if a playmaker emerges. We know Anderson and Davis are good but we need more young impact players on D since we have so many older players.

They need to worry about those things before thinking Super Bowl. All I want to see is the Colts improve as a team and some young guys to make a name. I'm not thinking Super Bowl right now.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Before looking at the Superbowl, the Colts should just worry about improving where they were lacking at.

The biggest priority should be seeing if the new players can improve Luck's protection. Luck having time in the pocket and not getting hit is the key to the Colts.

Secondly they need to evaluate the young guns on defense and see if a playmaker emerges. We know Anderson and Davis are good but we need more young impact players on D since we have so many older players.

They need to worry about those things before thinking Super Bowl. All I want to see is the Colts improve as a team and some young guys to make a name. I'm not thinking Super Bowl right now.

Great Post! What I want to see is just having great chemistry with the O.Line and Andrew having more time to throw, that will put me at ease right away. If our Offense is back like it was in 2014 but our O.Line is even better now than that will show me alot. After that the rest will fall in place. I think in next seasons Draft Grigs will go mostly Defense if our Offense is Good to Great this upcoming season and Andrew stays injury free.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What are you even talking about? Every team in the NFL is looking at the super bowl. Every team has players who's goal is to win a super bowl. You interview them right now and they will tell you the main thing is getting to the super bowl. For myself I don't want the players focusing on anything else but to make it to the super bowl. These are grown men. They know they have to play one game at a time and have to improve to make it to the super bowl. They all know going into the season that winning a super bowl not only lets them raise a trophy but puts money in their pockets. I don't understand your mind set to even suggest anything different.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What are you even talking about? Every team in the NFL is looking at the super bowl. Every team has players who's goal is to win a super bowl. You interview them right now and they will tell you the main thing is getting to the super bowl. For myself I don't want the players focusing on anything else but to make it to the super bowl. These are grown men. They know they have to play one game at a time and have to improve to make it to the super bowl. They all know going into the season that winning a super bowl not only lets them raise a trophy but puts money in their pockets. I don't understand your mind set to even suggest anything different.

I think his point was he just wants to see improvement with how we protect Andrew and wants to see us play more consistent overall before thinking about winning a SB after the season we had last year, hence I labeled it a Great Post. I might be wrong but I think that is where he was going with his Post. Of course every teams goal is to win the SB and we may have a team that shocks us and starts off something like 7-0 then the thinking does change without a doubt.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The goal every season for every team is to raise the Lombardi. You are correct there. But we all know that the Super Bowl isn't feasible for a couple of teams. The most important thing is getting better year to year by fixing holes. If you do that, a Super Bowl appearance will come.

I just don't think the staff should do what they have in the past and push the idea that "this is our year". I think when we did that it got everyone distracted (including Irsay and Grigson) from realizing the team is a work in progress. Like in 2013 when they had that whole "Hoist It" mantra. The same could be said about the Panthers when Kalil took out the newspaper add saying they would win the Super Bowl.

Of course the team's ultimate goal is always the bowl, and as fans you always think it's your year, but the team improving is what I'm looking for first and foremost. Remember that this is still a re-building job. It's year 5 and we still need certain pieces and still need to find consistency and an identity.  I'm not saying it isn't feasible or O don't want us to go to the Super Bowl, but I just think it's better to focus on seeing an improved team overall.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The goal every season for every team is to raise the Lombardi. You are correct there. But we all know that the Super Bowl isn't feasible for a couple of teams. The most important thing is getting better year to year by fixing holes. If you do that, a Super Bowl appearance will come.

I just don't think the staff should do what they have in the past and push the idea that "this is our year". I think when we did that it got everyone distracted (including Irsay and Grigson) from realizing the team is a work in progress. Like in 2013 when they had that whole "Hoist It" mantra. The same could be said about the Panthers when Kalil took out the newspaper add saying they would win the Super Bowl.

Of course the team's ultimate goal is always the bowl, and as fans you always think it's your year, but the team improving is what I'm looking for first and foremost. Remember that this is still a re-building job. It's year 5 and we still need certain pieces and still need to find consistency and an identity.  I'm not saying it isn't feasible or O don't want us to go to the Super Bowl, but I just think it's better to focus on seeing an improved team overall.

I think these are grown men from the owner down to the water boy and they know all this. So the goal shouldn't be talked about?

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think these are grown men from the owner down to the water boy and they know all this. So the goal shouldn't be talked about?

Precisely. The coaches don't need to push the idea that "This is our year" because that's the goal regardless and that could create a distraction. They just need to go out and good football. If they end up in the Super Bowl, so be it.

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Precisely. The coaches don't need to push the idea that "This is our year" because that's the goal regardless and that could create a distraction. They just need to go out and good football. If they end up in the Super Bowl, so be it.

But that is the goal.

16 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They have a way better Defense 

No doubt, but Michael Oher was their starting LT and Ted Ginn was their #1 WR. Newton wasn't really that good before last year either. I figured they'd be the sort of team to win about 8 games. Their O-line was much better than expected and Cam stepped it up. If we could have some guys on our defense step it up like some of their guys on offense did, we could be similar.

I'm not as optimistic as some.  We haven't made a lot of improvements on the team and we're going to have to depend on rookies to immediately produce.  I like what was done in the draft but this should have been done in year one of Grigson.  I read somewhere on ESPN that we are projected to have the oldest defense in the league with lots of guys over 30.  Maybe having Kelly shore up the line is the key to this team.

I will give you 6......

1. Andrew Luck.

I don't care what anyone says about his struggles......there isn't another QB in the league who could've done any better with the amount of pressure he has endured and the lack of support he has received over his first four years in the league. 

2. Coaching. 

I really believed we have improved our coaching staff this year. I really like the additions of Philbin, Shottenheimer, Monachino and also Chud, who will have his first opportunity to really institute the changes he wants to make. I think the play calling is going to be much better next year.

3. Receivers. 

I am a big believer in our young receiving corps. I think its gonna be as good as anybody and the loss of Fleener is gonna actually work in our favor by freeing us up to use more 3 wides. I also think Phillip Dorsett is the truth and is gonna be a terror with teams having to focus on TY and Moncrief. We have some serious speed on par with anyone at that position and it will show.

4. Special teams.

We have had some of the best special teams play in the league and it has been a vastly overlooked aspect of why we managed to go 8-8 last year. 

5. Offensive line.

I really believe this is gonna change for the better this year, finally. If we can get this running game going, we are gonna be unstoppable. And if we are unstoppable, that changes the entire dynamic for our defense, which has had its struggles. I think many people overlook that factor. If you can put up 30 a game the defense just doesn't have to be as good as the Broncos were last year. And we have been an offensive line away from offensive dominance for Lucks entire career, I truly believe that. How many 3rd and 8s has that guy converted over the last 4 years? I'm looking forward to a lot more 3rd and 2, 3rd and 1 this year. You spread a team out on 3rd and 1 with the speed we have on the outside and I'm not sure how defenses are gonna be able to handle that.

6. Defensive line.

I honestly don't feel like the defense needs to be a top ten next year for us to make a deep run in the playoffs. I do however feel like they could be top ten. It all hinges on the health of the dline. I really feel like we have a chance to be very good upfront, and if you're good upfront everything else falls into place. It makes the LBs jobs easy, and the secondary can be aggressive. Another thing I think gets overlooked is that our secondary has some talent and been a bright spot for us at times. If the defensive line can create havoc up front, the back end is gonna play well too and our pass rush will not be a weak spot this year. I also am not convinced Robert Mathis doesn't have 1 more great season in him just yet.

I think we go more like 13-3 than 10-6 this year and are in the hunt for home field. JMO

When you see coaches who were position coaches before, and became an OC or DC, you a lot more success in those areas. It's when they become HC that they seem to struggle and that is no surprise. Right now out of all the colts moves so far, I really like our new OL coach. Something he said in an article he was quoted in hit home for me. 

“They know better than me, I’m just a coach in the sideline, but things happen fast,” Philbin said. “So in the meeting room, what I do is coach fast as a training. Ask them a lot of questions, want to get them engaged. Want them to think of an answer like that, because in the game we’re going to need to make blocking-scheme adjustments at the snap of our fingers. That’s how I like to run practice. You want to get to the stage where they feel so well prepared when they go out there where it’s not easy -- nothing is ever easy in football -- but preparing in such that they’re very, very confident and play decisive.”

I expect great things from this oline this year and the offense. I have said in previous threads that Luck should also have improved by sitting on the sidelines for so long and watching the progressions. We could see a hurry up offense in the near future with this unit. 

As for our DC I have heard only praise and am excited to see what he brings to the table. If the defense can improve slightly over last year, and just be consistent run stoppers, we can at least make the other offense one dimensional much like we have been over the last 8-10 years. And it will only help having an elite unit in our offense. The best defense is a good offense. I'm sure the colts will run into areas they need improvement on, but we saw in the Peyton era just how great a coaching staff can be and what it does. I like this staff. 

I'm not going to predict super bowl. But I can see a repeat AFCCG appearance. 

On May 14, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

How about these apples...until the Colts field a team that can actually beat New England and/or Pittsburgh they won't sniff the Super Bowl.  Hard to win the Super Bowl from the fetal position after having been pummeled into submission yet again. That's the cold reality.  When they show me they can actually do that..then I will actually allow myself to see them as a legit threat for the Super Bowl.  Until then...I love them but they are suspect. 

WG21 writes an inspirational post that gets my blood pumping about my Colts & then C-1788 throws a cold bucket of reality ice water all over me. Harsh, but truthful. Thank you C-1788. I needed that. When you're right; you're right. 

13 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

When you see coaches who were position coaches before, and became an OC or DC, you a lot more success in those areas. It's when they become HC that they seem to struggle and that is no surprise. Right now out of all the colts moves so far, I really like our new OL coach. Something he said in an article he was quoted in hit home for me. 

“They know better than me, I’m just a coach in the sideline, but things happen fast,” Philbin said. “So in the meeting room, what I do is coach fast as a training. Ask them a lot of questions, want to get them engaged. Want them to think of an answer like that, because in the game we’re going to need to make blocking-scheme adjustments at the snap of our fingers. That’s how I like to run practice. You want to get to the stage where they feel so well prepared when they go out there where it’s not easy -- nothing is ever easy in football -- but preparing in such that they’re very, very confident and play decisive.”

I expect great things from this oline this year and the offense. I have said in previous threads that Luck should also have improved by sitting on the sidelines for so long and watching the progressions. We could see a hurry up offense in the near future with this unit. 

As for our DC I have heard only praise and am excited to see what he brings to the table. If the defense can improve slightly over last year, and just be consistent run stoppers, we can at least make the other offense one dimensional much like we have been over the last 8-10 years. And it will only help having an elite unit in our offense. The best defense is a good offense. I'm sure the colts will run into areas they need improvement on, but we saw in the Peyton era just how great a coaching staff can be and what it does. I like this staff. 

I'm not going to predict super bowl. But I can see a repeat AFCCG appearance. 

I really liked your Joe Philbin bolded quote there ICF because I get a kick out of learning his mindset. Just read & react. No paralysis by over analysis in the regular & post season. 

Uh huh. This new OC, DC, OL coach, & QB coach just feels like they are all gonna gel in unison this yr. Wishful thinking perhaps I know, but it's long overdue: Good coaching & receptive ears where things actually flow like they are supposed to. I don't know if it all comes together in 1 season, but we are inching closer to a better team result than 2015 was anyway. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I really liked your Joe Philbin bolded quote there ICF because I get a kick out of learning his mindset. Just read & react. No paralysis by over analysis in the regular & post season. 

Uh huh. This new OC, DC, OL coach, & QB coach just feels like they are all gonna gel in unison this yr. Wishful thinking perhaps I know, but it's long overdue: Good coaching & receptive ears where things actually flow like they are supposed to. I don't know if it all comes together in 1 season, but we are inching closer to a better team result than 2015 was anyway. 

I feel the same way about the coaching staff gelling. It would be amazing, I never got to see the polian coaching staff unfold and grow. It will be interesting. 

The Colts have a good to very good Offense.

They have excellent special teams.

But they have a defense that is at best average, and possibly somewhat below average.

That is NOT the makings of a Super Bowl team.

Look,  this is a fans message board,  and if fans here want to think of the Colts as a Super Bowl team --- go right ahead.     But that's not an informed opinion.    It is a fans opinion.    A cheerleading position.    Nothing more.

Sorry.....   I don't like being a negative voice,  but at some point reality sets in.....

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts have a good to very good Offense.

They have excellent special teams.

But they have a defense that is at best average, and possibly somewhat below average.

That is NOT the makings of a Super Bowl team.

Look,  this is a fans message board,  and if fans here want to think of the Colts as a Super Bowl team --- go right ahead.     But that's not an informed opinion.    It is a fans opinion.    A cheerleading position.    Nothing more.

Sorry.....   I don't like being a negative voice,  but at some point reality sets in.....

How would you describe the broncos offense last year?

Because I definitely wouldn't have thought they could win a SB with that offense.

Its May. You have no clue what the defense is gonna be like.

37 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

How would you describe the broncos offense last year?

Because I definitely wouldn't have thought they could win a SB with that offense.

Its May. You have no clue what the defense is gonna be like.

All websites who cover football are running stories about projections right now....

The projections say we're not going to be very good right now.    Players 30 and over don't normally play better the older they get.     Mathis might -- in fact, I've predicted he will.     But the Colts have six players on their defense who are 30 or older....    not a good situation to be in at this point.      

Will the defense be better this year than last?     Yes.    But will it be good enough?

As for Denver?    They also had the best defense and a decent running game.

If our defense is poor do we have the best offense in football to off-set that?      I don't think so, and neither do you. 

I'm not interested in evaluations through the eyes of a fan.    I'm interested in serious objective analysis.   And so far,  that's not looking great for the Colts.

I've already predicted the Colts to go 10-6 this year.    But I've also said I won't be shocked if we go 8-8.   The division is much better....       

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

All websites who cover football are running stories about projections right now....

The projections say we're not going to be very good right now.    Players 30 and over don't normally play better the older they get.     Mathis might -- in fact, I've predicted he will.     But the Colts have six players on their defense who are 30 or older....    not a good situation to be in at this point.      

Will the defense be better this year than last?     Yes.    But will it be good enough?

If our defense is poor do we have the best offense in football to off-set that?      I don't think so, and neither do you. 

I'm not interested in evaluations through the eyes of a fan.    I'm interested in serious objective analysis.   And so far,  that's not looking great for the Colts.

I've already predicted the Colts to go 10-6 this year.    But I've also said I won't be shocked if we go 8-8.   The division is much better....       

Those "projections" you speak of, are never even close to accurate. Why you value them so much I have no idea. That sounds like "fan" stuff to me. I've been around the game of football for almost 30 years and it damn sure doesn't matter what the media is saying in May, it never has.

If you think there is a chance in hell we go 8-8 with a healthy Andrew Luck, you are insane. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Those same websites probably had the Colts doing quite well last year.  I feel much better about this year's team than last season.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Those "projections" you speak of, are never even close to accurate. Why you value them so much I have no idea. That sounds like "fan" stuff to me. I've been around the game of football for almost 30 years and it damn sure doesn't matter what the media is saying in May, it never has.

If you think there is a chance in hell we go 8-8 with a healthy Andrew Luck, you are insane. 

You've been here since Oct of 2015 and you want to take that tone?

Not smart.

What makes you think "I value them so much"...?      I already said I predicted that the Colts would go 10-6,  but I only added that I would not be surprised if the team goes 8-8.     That's not the same as predicting we'll go 8-8.

And a team is more than a QB.    Or haven't you learned that in 30 years.

As for me.....   I've followed football for nearly 50 years and covered it professionally as a member of the media for 30 years.       I've learned a thing or two myself...

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Those same websites probably had the Colts doing quite well last year.  I feel much better about this year's team than last season.

I've predicted the Colts to go 10-6 this year.

I only added that I would not be surprised if we went 8-8.     I'm not predicting a 500 record.    But I think it's possible.      Perhaps not likely,   but possible.     And the reason is the defense.

As always in these situations,   I hope I'm wrong and I hope for better.....   but I don't expect it.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've been here since Oct of 2015 and you want to take that tone?

Not smart.

What makes you think "I value them so much"...?      I already said I predicted that the Colts would go 10-6,  but I only added that I would not be surprised if the team goes 8-8.     That's not the same as predicting we'll go 8-8.

And a team is more than a QB.    Or haven't you learned that in 30 years.

As for me.....   I've followed football for nearly 50 years and covered it professionally as a member of the media for 30 years.       I've learned a thing or two myself...

Tone? You receive the tone you take. And why is it "not smart"?

I didnt appreciate your "not an informed opinion" comment. My opinion is most definitely informed, and while I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about who knows more about football, I'm also not going to give a hoot about meaningless crap like how long I've been on the board or what some member of the media is saying in May..... which is an opinion formed entirely on LAST YEAR. The media objective isnt to be right, its to intrigue its viewers/readers.

Anyone who has fallowed this league knows how quickly things can change. Nobody thought the Panthers were a 15-1 SB team last year, especially after Benjamin went down. Those things don't mean anything. Maybe your experience in the media causes you to place an increased value on their opinions, and that is ok. But it doesn't make it any more valid than it is. 

Don't get all emotional on me. If you feel comfortable enough to insult other people, be man enough to take it in return.

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I'm also not going to give a hoot about meaningless crap like how long I've been on the board or what some member of the media is saying in May..... which is an opinion formed entirely on LAST YEAR.   The media objective isnt to be right, its to intrigue its viewers/readers.

No.....   it's not an opinion based entirely on LAST YEAR.     It's based mostly on what the team has done to fix last year's problem THIS OFF-SEASON.     These stories are all coming out now, AFTER free agency and the draft.

I don't know what media you read....    but I follow ESPN,  NFL.com and NFL Network.     Do they want to intrigue?      Sure.       But they also want to be right.       If you're in the media business and you're not right very often people stop taking you seriously.      And no media wants that.      It's why outlets like Bleacher Report have trouble gaining traction even though they've improved somewhat over the last few years.     They were so terrible for so long that gaining some trust is going to be a long hard slog for them.     Actions have consequences.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.....   it's not an opinion based entirely on LAST YEAR.     It's based mostly on what the team has done to fix last year's problem THIS OFF-SEASON.     These stories are all coming out now, AFTER free agency and the draft.

I don't know what media you read....    but I follow ESPN,  NFL.com and NFL Network.     Do they want to intrigue?      Sure.       But they also want to be right.       If you're in the media business and you're not right very often people stop taking you seriously.      And no media wants that.      It's why outlets like Bleacher Report have trouble gaining traction even though they've improved somewhat over the last few years.     They were so terrible for so long that gaining some trust is going to be a long hard slog for them.     Actions have consequences.

But we have yet to see the changes on the field.

That's why I don't put much stock in it.

Its May. That's all I am saying. I choose to be optimistic. It has nothing to do with how much I know about football.

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

But we have yet to see the changes on the field.

That's why I don't put much stock in it.

Its May. That's all I am saying. I choose to be optimistic. It has nothing to do with how much I know about football.

Fair enough....    and I appreciate the optimism.    I'm not trying to crap all over that.

But there is optimism and there is "5 reasons we could get to the Super Bowl" optimism.     For me,  that's a bit much.   

Believe me,   I don't like being the Negative-Nate guy!      I'm just trying to offer a more sober look at our reality.....     I don't want to be the killjoy around here....    

:peek:

30 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Tone? You receive the tone you take. And why is it "not smart"?

I didnt appreciate your "not an informed opinion" comment. My opinion is most definitely informed, and while I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about who knows more about football, I'm also not going to give a hoot about meaningless crap like how long I've been on the board or what some member of the media is saying in May..... which is an opinion formed entirely on LAST YEAR. The media objective isnt to be right, its to intrigue its viewers/readers.

Anyone who has fallowed this league knows how quickly things can change. Nobody thought the Panthers were a 15-1 SB team last year, especially after Benjamin went down. Those things don't mean anything. Maybe your experience in the media causes you to place an increased value on their opinions, and that is ok. But it doesn't make it any more valid than it is. 

Don't get all emotional on me. If you feel comfortable enough to insult other people, be man enough to take it in return.

Just to break the tension between you 2, don't feel bad I am a nobody but kept saying Denver would win the SB in several Posts all season when almost every one on the planet said the Patriots would blow them out and then almost everyone said the Panthers would smoke them in the SB haha I guess every once in a while we know more than the media.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair enough....    and I appreciate the optimism.    I'm not trying to crap all over that.

But there is optimism and there is "5 reasons we could get to the Super Bowl" optimism.     For me,  that's a bit much.   

Believe me,   I don't like being the Negative-Nate guy!      I'm just trying to offer a more sober look at our reality.....     I don't want to be the killjoy around here....    

:peek:

Hey man don't take offense to my posts. I sometimes come across like an butt in text because I'm as blunt as a black n mild, but I get it...... I just hate to see people be pessimistic this early lol.

I am optimistic all off season once I get over the previous season......then I am pessimistic all year until the playoffs roll around, and then I get optimistic again.