Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?

Lucky Colts Fan

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We could go every which way from Sunday about why one QB is better than the other, but the question remains...

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?  Yes or No?

If I had to answer I would say No. I think Montana is. Any QB that can play in 4 SB's and throw 0 INT's has to be #1. Not a diss to Peyton because like I said I would put Peyton at no worse than #3. He is my favorite player of all-time and is obviously not only the greatest QB in Colts history but IMO the greatest player in our franchise history. No disrespect to Johnny U as I would say he is slightly behind Peyton.

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had to answer I would say No. I think Montana is. Any QB that can play in 4 SB's and throw 0 INT's has to be #1. Not a diss to Peyton because like I said I would put Peyton at no worse than #3. He is my favorite player of all-time and is obviously not only the greatest QB in Colts history but IMO the greatest player in our franchise history. No disrespect to Johnny U as I would say he is slightly behind Peyton.

No,,he doesn't have to be.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you are going back in time before the modern super bowl how can you not talk about Otto Graham? He took his team to 9 straight championship games and won 7 of them. There is no one even close in any era.

So I guess that is a "no" vote?  Graham is the GOAT?

Yes.

-Holds ALL the records.

-Most wins.

-2 Super Bowl wins.

-5 MVP's.

-3-1 against Tom Brady in AFC Championship games.

-Owner of the most 4th Quarter Comebacks.

-Changed the way QB's are expected to play

I could go on and on but I'll leave that there for now unless someone wants to discuss further.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Enough.

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Is is the commitment that you're afraid of?  Don't be afraid.  Your opinion matters.

did u ever think enough simply means , how many times and in what different verbiage can this ? be asked in this forum, leave it alone already  , i made my feelings known many a time before and  simply dont want to answer again as many variables are truly involved as i did try to point out here to  but u arent listening

So in the words of McCartney , " let it be " already

7 hours ago, Restored said:

Yes.

-Holds ALL the records.

-Most wins.

-2 Super Bowl wins.

-5 MVP's.

I could go on and on but I'll leave that there for now unless someone wants to discuss further.

The most wins will go to Tom Brady in short order though. 

25 minutes ago, Archer said:

While it's impossible to compare across eras, I'll say, "Yes, Manning's the GOAT".  He revolutionized the position and the game, and they'll have to someday rename that MVP award the Peyton Manning Trophy. 

Most Valuable Peyton award :)

2 hours ago, Fx Stryker said:

Colts  fans are blessed to have the greatest two quarterbacks play for their team.

Peyton and Johnny are 1a/b.

You sure made 'ol high tops proud Peyton!

That he did & Peyton being a student of the history of the game is honored on that note , thats why he spoke of Unitas meeting  in retirement speech & wanted to wear high tops to honor him 1 game

HOWEVER  being a historian of the game Peyton is rather proud that he was 1 in a line of Great QGs he could track his lineage back to in a sense and if asked his humble self would recite what he took from each one to help master his game and allow him to further revolutionize the position to what it has become- Something to emulate by all who want to succeed at it at the highest level imaginable

55 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

This is hard to say, but I voted "no". 

1. Montana

2. Manning

3. Brady

Montana & Brady enjoyed/are enjoying/ good defenses during their careers. Peyton did not. Major factor to me.

Yeah I would go Montana 1, Brady 2, Peyton 3, Unitas 4. You could easily flip Brady and Peyton because of 2 factors, 1. Brady has always played under Bill Belichick which has greatly benefitted him and 2. There is some question about how shady that team has been with possible cheating as in Spygate and Deflategate = an asterisk in a lot people's eyes regarding their Titles. Having said that #2 really doesn't factor in much in weighing my decision. I just have fun with the Deflategate thing regarding my banner just to show something shady did go on.  

11 hours ago, Restored said:

Yes.

-Holds ALL the records.

-Most wins.

-2 Super Bowl wins.

-5 MVP's.

Good stuff..

That's why I rank Peyton ahead of Tom Brady, despite Brady's 4 titles.

Peyton did it with 2 different teams and he has the best single season for any QB ever..

I also think Unitas changed the way the game was played.  He insisted on play calling, almost independent of his coaches... He basically invented the 2-mnute drill....and won the 'so-called Greatest game of all time' with two game-ending (in 4th Q and OT) drives

He was the ultimate leader....teammates trusted him to lead even when he was obviously hurt.

Unitas' numbers pale compared to Peyton but stand tall in his era..

I dont consider ranking the best a knock on any of the rest....and the door obviously is still open for Brady to

surpass Manning and Unitas

On 3/24/2016 at 2:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

If you are going back in time before the modern super bowl how can you not talk about Otto Graham? He took his team to 9 straight championship games and won 7 of them. There is no one even close in any era.

Have you ever gone to www.pro-football-reference.com and look at Otto's numbers in some of those championship games?  He had a game where he passed for 348 yards and 4 TDs and ran for 99 yards and another TD.  Sick!  

When people think about how historically inept the Browns are today, how amazing is it that they got to watch Otto Graham for 9 years and then Jim Brown for 9 years?

2 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Have you ever gone to www.pro-football-reference.com and look at Otto's numbers in some of those championship games?  He had a game where he passed for 348 yards and 4 TDs and ran for 99 yards and another TD.  Sick!  

When people think about how historically inept the Browns are today, how amazing is it that they got to watch Otto Graham for 9 years and then Jim Brown for 9 years?

In reality because of some of the big games he had and Championships won he should be ranked no worse than 5th of all-time. I could see a list like:

1. Montana

2. Tom

3. Peyton

4. Unitas

5. Graham

That would be fair to all era's.

On 3/25/2016 at 10:12 AM, bayone said:

did u ever think enough simply means , how many times and in what different verbiage can this ? be asked in this forum, leave it alone already  ,

If people don't like the topic, they don't have to participate in the conversation.  Continuing to participate in the conversation is going to elicit new responses to that continued participation.

As all of us know, cross-era comparisons are fun...but not necessarily meaningful.  I am a Colts fan because of #19.  He was very special in his day.  In the intervening years, there have been many great ones.  Only one actually struck fear in Bill Belichick.

18 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

As all of us know, cross-era comparisons are fun...but not necessarily meaningful.  I am a Colts fan because of #19.  He was very special in his day.  In the intervening years, there have been many great ones.  Only one actually struck fear in Bill Belichick.

me too ,  &  True

19 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

error sorry

34 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

If people don't like the topic, they don't have to participate in the conversation.  Continuing to participate in the conversation is going to elicit new responses to that continued participation.

I understand your point

I was commenting  to someone who who just wouldnt  stop what i thought was over use of perpetual comments against a good member who just had enough and was stopping