Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?

Lucky Colts Fan

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?

You can definitely make the argument.  He's the best regular season QB of all time for sure.  Just a little shaky in the playoffs but he did win two superbowls so that's a big plus.  Brady (even though I despise him) and Montana can be argued.  I personally think it's Peyton.  Has some great all time records, won mvp's, won a superbowl mvp and won 2 superbowls.  He's also one of the classiest guys in the NFL.  It's hard not to like him.  I am glad he went out on top.

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What about unitas playoff resume is better than manning? 

3 time NFL Championships before the SB was established speaks volumes of the 1st QB  to revolutionize the position itself. Unitas`s only downfall was playing too long IMO. Very few QB`s in his era come close to duplicating anything he did. Don`t base Unitas off SB 3 and 5 as he was washed up.

* To be clear, I am not qualifying the parameters for "GOAT".  You can use whatever metric you deem appropriate.

Personally, I am looking at what Peyton did as an INDIVIDUAL.  Team accomplishments are a factor, but INDIVIDUAL accomplishments are what matter when talking about a specific position group.  IMHO

There have been so many threads on this we have lost count. There is and never will be a exact answer because of people opinions on what makes a GOAT. It's always a never ending argument that cant be won except in your own mind. Some say Montana but fail to mention Bradshaw. It's always their own personal thoughts on what they think makes a GOAT. Was Marino the greatest? Some say no because he has no rings. Is rings what dictates the GOAT? Rings are won by teams, There are quite a few QBs who have rings who are not even considered in the top 25 QBs in history. Like I said, there is no answer except in your own mind.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There have been so many threads on this we have lost count. There is and never will be a exact answer because of people opinions on what makes a GOAT. It's always a never ending argument that cant be won except in your own mind. Some say Montana but fail to mention Bradshaw. It's always their own personal thoughts on what they think makes a GOAT. Was Marino the greatest? Some say no because he has no rings. Is rings what dictates the GOAT? Rings are won by teams, There are quite a few QBs who have rings who are not even considered in the top 25 QBs in history. Like I said, there is no answer except in your own mind.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Oh my God.......

This is for fun guys.  It is completely subjective, but entertaining and interesting.  Is Manning even the best QB in the eyes of Colts fans?

No wrong answer.  It is just opinion. :thmup:

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is for fun guys.  It is completely subjective, but entertaining and interesting.  Is Manning even the best QB in the eyes of Colts fans?

No wrong answer.  It is just opinion. :thmup:

I think we all understand but most of us have been through this too many times to count. Not meaning to be negative with your thread, just realistic.

54 minutes ago, MPStack said:

3 time NFL Championships before the SB was established speaks volumes of the 1st QB  to revolutionize the position itself. Unitas`s only downfall was playing too long IMO. Very few QB`s in his era come close to duplicating anything he did. Don`t base Unitas off SB 3 and 5 as he was washed up.

The Colts went to the playoffs 6 times in his 17 seasons in Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I obviously never said that.   But you qualified your answer.   His playoff success wasn't that extraordinary.  

Four Championships out of 6 playoff seasons doesn`t garner success. Enlighten me on what does then. Actually please don`t!   

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

* To be clear, I am not qualifying the parameters for "GOAT".  You can use whatever metric you deem appropriate.

Personally, I am looking at what Peyton did as an INDIVIDUAL.  Team accomplishments are a factor, but INDIVIDUAL accomplishments are what matter when talking about a specific position group.  IMHO

Takes a whole team to win 

11 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

Takes a whole team to win 

Like I said, team accomplishments are a factor.  That's why guys like Montana and Brady are in the discussion.

But LIKE I SAID, use whatever metric you want. 

If you think wins and championships define a QB, then Graham, Montana, and Brady are your guys.

If you think individual accomplishments define a QB, then Manning, Brees, and Marino are your guys.

It's a simple yes/no poll.  It's not that complicated.  You don't have to defend your choice, just choose...

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The Colts went to the playoffs 6 times in his 17 seasons in Baltimore. 

PS when there were 12 teams  

Had east & West & winner & 1 wild card I belive   & stayed that way though 66 with 15 teams, 8 in 1 conferance 7 in other

thats not many chances to get into playof on % basis compared to day

That is tough for me  to answer because it's tough to put him ahead of Montana or Brady. Both of those QB's have won multiple League MVP's(2) and SB MVP's(3) to go along with winning the SB 4 times. Montana, although doesn't have near the Stats Peyton has, still threw for over 40,000 Yards and had 273 TD passes which is still Good, where a QB like Bradshaw put up Average Stats in his career. Peyton has to be Top 3 at worse considering he has won the League MVP 5 times and has won a SB with 2 different teams as a starter + Statistically no other QB is close to him when it comes to TD passes and Yards during the Regular Season. He holds both of those records. Now if I was starting a franchise I would choose Peyton but that is a different topic

6 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

I'd still say that Marino is the best passer in history. Then you've got Unitas and Manning tied as the greatest field generals of all time.

I'd agree with you.  Marino and Elway probably had the two best arms in NFL history, up to this point.

How lucky are the Colts to have Unitas, Manning and Luck?

I think there might be some power in that Lucky Horseshoe... :clover::coltshelmet:

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'd agree with you.  Marino and Elway probably had the two best arms in NFL history, up to this point.

How lucky are the Colts to have Unitas, Manning and Luck?

I think there might be some power in that Lucky Horseshoe... :clover::coltshelmet:

That luck has been a double edged sword though. Think about how terrible we were in the years prior to getting Manning and Luck.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is tough for me  to answer because it's tough to put him ahead of Montana or Brady. Both of those QB's have won multiple League MVP's(2) and SB MVP's(3) to go along with winning the SB 4 times. Montana, although doesn't have near the Stats Peyton has, still threw for over 40,000 Yards and had 273 TD passes which is still Good, where a QB like Bradshaw put up Average Stats in his career. Peyton has to be Top 3 at worse considering he has won the League MVP 5 times and has won a SB with 2 different teams as a starter + Statistically no other QB is close to him when it comes to TD passes and Yards during the Regular Season. He holds both of those records. Now if I was starting a franchise I would choose Peyton but that is a different topic

We could go every which way from Sunday about why one QB is better than the other, but the question remains...

Is Peyton Manning the GOAT?  Yes or No?

3 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

That luck has been a double edged sword though. Think about how terrible we were in the years prior to getting Manning and Luck.

I remember those years.  I remember Quentin Coryatt signing my hat at training camp, and thinking "this is the year"...

I remember the dropped hail mary from Harbaugh...

And still, I think about how lucky the Colts have been in the overall scheme of things.  Manning alone would be a treasure chest of luck for any franchise.  Add Unitas and Luck to that...  Gee willickers.  What a run. :clover::clover::clover: