Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton down 28 pounds

Superman

Y'know, the Colts' OL has been so seemingly poorly coached the last few year's that maybe we'll see what a better coach can do with our OGs, rather than spending any major resources on new personnel.  We didn't address much in FA (yet), leaving too many needs to spend two of our top picks on OL.  I think Center is the more important need to address, so Thornton, Heenan, Good, and possibly Harrison should all be in the guard hunt.  Come on Philbin, earn your money!

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Y'know, the Colts' OL has been so seemingly poorly coached the last few year's that maybe we'll see what a better coach can do with our OGs, rather than spending any major resources on new personnel.

I think everyone would agree with the bolded. Very little development of linemen, and some questionable game day decisions. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that some of the young guys we have can get better.

16 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I don't know how his weight loss will affect his play but I am so tired of us not being able to win in the trenches and run the football against good teams. I really think it's an even bigger problem than our edge rusher situation that everyone is panicked about. 

I believe Darren Krein just might be the answer to a lot of questions concerning the lines on both sides of the ball.

22 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I believe Darren Krein just might be the answer to a lot of questions concerning the lines on both sides of the ball.

Whatever program they started Thornton on is helping already. I wonder what Denzelle Good is up to right now.

I'm not sure what some are upset about.  You wanted to read a story about him GAINING 30 lbs?  Who knows if this turns him into the second coming of Larry Allen or makes no difference whatsoever.  Fact is the guy is putting in the work.  Good to see.

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

No. That's the opposite of what I meant. I'm hoping that he is the Jeff Allen of this year. If he finally realizes his potential and breaks out then that's a wonderful thing. I don't see how you took that the wrong way Supe.

Maybe this ridiculous statement!
"I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe."
   Kid, who are you to judge??
 The guy has played some decent football for us. If we needed a yard last season we sure as ___ didn`t run it behind Cantdoit & Slowhort!! We went to the right, over and over.

And if i can judge for a second, our whole line has looked somewhat dysfunctional for several years, Maybe we have been poorly coached!!!!!

All the guys you hate are cheap. When out staff gets them into mini camp they can see what they have and then make Professional judgements to whether they want to keep them on our 90 man roster for further coaching/assessment.
  Good grief, get of your horse, we DO have the draft and until training camp to add veteran depth. There are also always decent players cut because of teams going with youth at the last cuts for the 53 man roster.
 And Gee, ya, i would bet you we make a pick or two addressing O-Line depth. Kind of a DUH!!

22 hours ago, Superman said:

Your assumption that he hasn't dedicated himself in prior years is just an assumption. His injuries have probably affected his stamina as much as anything else.

And yes it is a contract year, and there's obviously a contract year phenomena that exists in the NFL, but it rarely benefits offensive linemen, so if he plays well for us in 2016, that's not a bad thing.

Also, the real point is that the team is switching to a blocking scheme that relies more on athletic interior blockers than the previous scheme did. If Thornton's offseason yields a more athletic player with more endurance, then that's a good thing for the Colts. 

Well yes it is an assumption, as are most of the postings in a discussion board of fans. As for it being a good thing if he is much improved, absolutely it will be, I don't believe I said it would be a negative. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Whatever program they started Thornton on is helping already. I wonder what Denzelle Good is up to right now.

To be honest MOS, I'm pretty pumped to see what all the new coaching blood can accomplish. Krein is a great S&C guy. Why Miami let him go is a mystery to me. Clean sweeps at positioning coaches catch fire sometimes depending on their backgrounds & experience. Most of these guys have a good track record in the NFL. 

That's a huge plus that's bypassed & overlooked by some. As for me, I'll take it. As I believe that most of our so called "holes" might just contain better coaching, several good selections in the draft, and a drive to adhere to our newly chosen schematic play on offense & defensive style of play.

On March 14, 2016 at 3:56 PM, COLTS449 said:

I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe. I know he has the potential to be a very good guard, but we shouldn't take a chance on him.. We could end up in the same situation as last year. I would definitely draft Garnett, Ifedi, or Whitehair if he's there in the 2nd. If Thornton were to out play whoever we draft, then we have a good problem. Having 3 good guards. I think its just too dangerous to go into the season with him penciled in as the starting RG.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with you.  However, I do think it will be an open competition.   Grigs, whether it makes sense or not, has stated he doesn't like to start rookie linemen right away.  We see how it's worked out positively for Mewhort and negatively for Thornton/Holmes. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, jskinnz said:

He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance but has the potential to be a very good guard?  Umm, what??

I don't think it is dangerous to go into the season with anyone penciled in as the starter.  Isn't that the purpose of using pencil - so you can change your mind?  I don't think they are going into the draft and the rest of free agency with the idea of not doing anything at guard because they have him. 

You have a very good point.  But it does seem Hugh is getting the lead out. :)

When was Thornton drafted. What always scares me is when a player waits until his last contract year to really put the work in. Then gets paid and goes back to his old ways. I believe this is his third year though. Lets hope it is not a contract push! Regardless, if he improves and becomes trade bait, more comp picks coming, just like the 2-3 next year we will have!

1 hour ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I don't think anyone here would disagree with you.  However, I do think it will be an open competition.   Grigs, whether it makes sense or not, has stated he doesn't like to start rookie linemen right away.  We see how it's worked out positively for Mewhort and negatively for Thornton/Holmes. 

B1dNU0WIQAAdqjg.jpg

On 3/15/2016 at 2:58 PM, ColtRider said:

To be honest MOS, I'm pretty pumped to see what all the new coaching blood can accomplish. Krein is a great S&C guy. Why Miami let him go is a mystery to me. Clean sweeps at positioning coaches catch fire sometimes depending on their backgrounds & experience. Most of these guys have a good track record in the NFL. 

That's a huge plus that's bypassed & overlooked by some. As for me, I'll take it. As I believe that most of our so called "holes" might just contain better coaching, several good selections in the draft, and a drive to adhere to our newly chosen schematic play on offense & defensive style of play.

YES!!! tottally agree here. Our previous staff for whatever reason could not develop guys worth a hoot. I'm especially excited to see what Joe can do with our OL.

My opinion on Thorntons ability is this: If he reaches his potential not only is there no rookie O Lineman going to beat him out but he also has the capability of being an elite All Pro Guard. As far as a physically gifted Guard with massive potential Grigson was spot on.....I got him penciled in at RG for him to lose but I don't think he will.but I want to see that potential reached

Holmes is also capable of being elite in the Zone scheme but unfortunately for him has played in 17 of 48 games since he has been drafted with only 9 starts and is going into the last year of his rookie contract......I still think he has a shot to be the future at C given the physical tools but I personally want him to start and finish no less then 90% of the teams games this year and have 90% or better pass blocking grade and 4.0 average yards per carry when ran behind him. Anything less then that then I think we have a new starter for sure come 2017 because I think the coaching staff make it his job to lose. Right now Im thinking we draft Ryan Kelly and have an open competition at C and I think Kelly could beat him

(Not counting playoffs for either player)

20 minutes ago, Gavin said:

EMy opinion on Thorntons ability is this: If he reaches his potential not only is there no rookie O Lineman going to beat him out but he also has the capability of being an elite All Pro Guard. As far as a physically gifted Guard with massive potential Grigson was spot on.....I got him penciled in at RG for him to lose but I don't think he will.but I want to see that potential reached

Holmes is also capable of being elite in the Zone scheme but unfortunately for him has played in 17 of 48 games since he has been drafted with only 9 starts and is going into the last year of his rookie contract......I still think he has a shot to be the future at C given the physical tools but I personally want him to start and finish no less then 90% of the teams games this year and have 90% or better pass blocking grade and 4.0 average yards per carry when ran behind him. Anything less then that then I think we have a new starter for sure come 2017 because I think the coaching staff make it his job to lose. Right now Im thinking we draft Ryan Kelly and have an open competition at C and I think Kelly could beat him

I totally agree with you about Thornton. I said the same thing before he lost the weight. There's not a RG in the draft that will take his spot in camp. The kid from Stanford Garrett looks a lot like Thornton with no experience to me. Whitehair KSU I think will struggle early with the size strength and quickness of NFL DL. All rookie OL will.

If you look at the trash we have lined up to Thornton's left and the revolving door on the right  now throw Pep in there. Are we surprised he hasn't lived up to his potential? I hope we see Thornton put it together this year. 

He's a guy I could see leave Indy go to a team with a strong veteran player on the inside to learn from and turn his career around.

Holmes not so much. We would be complete *s to give him another shot. Really this will be the 3rd year in a row we let that pansy screw up the OL. I don't think he's strong enough mentally or physically for the NFL. If you look at our depth chart on ourlads Harrison is shown as the starter.

Holmes has only made week 1 healthy once. He guarantees us another year of one of the worst starting C's in the league and certain instability at the position. 

Mewhort  and Thornton are just 24 years old. Both have the talent to be successful in this league. Not having a veteran on the inside for our young guys to learn from is major part of the poor construction of the OL. 

Starting a rookie C is not the best plan but it may be right where Grigs has put us. Ideally we could grab a FA C. If we could get Wisnewski would be good for a while. I'm not sure who else is out there. Who comes free June 1st. That's risky.

I hate the idea of using an early pick on C. If we can't get someone in FA. I think we have to. I would try to drop back to the end of the 1st and take Kelly an extra pick or 2 would take the sting away. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:20 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe this ridiculous statement!
"I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe."
   Kid, who are you to judge??
 The guy has played some decent football for us. If we needed a yard last season we sure as ___ didn`t run it behind Cantdoit & Slowhort!! We went to the right, over and over.

And if i can judge for a second, our whole line has looked somewhat dysfunctional for several years, Maybe we have been poorly coached!!!!!

All the guys you hate are cheap. When out staff gets them into mini camp they can see what they have and then make Professional judgements to whether they want to keep them on our 90 man roster for further coaching/assessment.
  Good grief, get of your horse, we DO have the draft and until training camp to add veteran depth. There are also always decent players cut because of teams going with youth at the last cuts for the 53 man roster.
 And Gee, ya, i would bet you we make a pick or two addressing O-Line depth. Kind of a DUH!!

Get off my horse? Wow BBZ. You're the one who always seems to be on that so called "high horse".. Always responding to somebody in a disrespectful way, basically calling other posters stupid, etc. As for my opinion on Thornton. He does have pro bowl potential, and I hope he breaks out this year and balls out. But he sure hasn't realized that potential thus far, and its been 3 years. So the only chance he deserves is competing with a high round draft pick like Whitehair, Garnett, Ifedi, etc, or with a vet like Evan Mathis or somebody. But hey. Everybody's got their own opinions, don't they cuz?

On 3/14/2016 at 3:56 PM, COLTS449 said:

I don't think he deserves another chance personally Supe. I know he has the potential to be a very good guard, but we shouldn't take a chance on him.. We could end up in the same situation as last year. I would definitely draft Garnett, Ifedi, or Whitehair if he's there in the 2nd. If Thornton were to out play whoever we draft, then we have a good problem. Having 3 good guards. I think its just too dangerous to go into the season with him penciled in as the starting RG.

He is a decent run blocker just struggles at pass blocking and techniques. he has the physical tools just needs to be taught better basics 

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Get off my horse? Wow BBZ. You're the one who always seems to be on that so called "high horse".. Always responding to somebody in a disrespectful way, basically calling other posters stupid, etc. As for my opinion on Thornton. He does have pro bowl potential, and I hope he breaks out this year and balls out. But he sure hasn't realized that potential thus far, and its been 3 years. So the only chance he deserves is competing with a high round draft pick like Whitehair, Garnett, Ifedi, etc, or with a vet like Evan Mathis or somebody. But hey. Everybody's got their own opinions, don't they cuz?

He was a 3rd round pick with that label ton of talent need time to develop better technique etc... 3 years being throw into the fire back and forth etc.... overall I like what he has done in tune blocking but needs to get quicker to prevent the holding due to getting beat to positions. Losing 30 lbs should make u more quicker 

On 3/15/2016 at 2:16 PM, cbear said:

I'm not sure what some are upset about.  You wanted to read a story about him GAINING 30 lbs?  Who knows if this turns him into the second coming of Larry Allen or makes no difference whatsoever.  Fact is the guy is putting in the work.  Good to see.

I know he doing something positive and they hating he is not as bad as they may it seem I like him you can't have all pros at every position and the kid has his moments 

There's a lot of talk here about Thornton "putting in the work"....

I'd submit to you that he's always put in the work.     When he was much bigger,  he was bigger because that's what the Colts wanted him to be.     We wanted big lineman and that's what Thornton was.     Now, we want smaller,  and he's dropping the weight.

Personally,   I think 302 is too small.    I wish he was closer to 310 or so.     But if 300 is what we now want, well, OK.....    I've only been asking for ZBS schemes since 2014....    so now that we're getting it,  I'll sit back and see how we do....

On March 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Superman said:

Yeah that was Thornton. He's a popular punching bag around here.

I'm thinking Thornton will be fine this year. The C and RT position worry me more . I think Reitz is an OK guard and a stop gap RT. I like him as a rotational back up more than a starter.. especially at RT.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I'm thinking Thornton will be fine this year. The C and RT position worry me more . I think Reitz is an OK guard and a stop gap RT. I like him as a rotational back up more than a starter.. especially at RT.

Andre Smith signed a 1 for 3.5m deal with the Vikings.  Would have been a nice addition for the colts.

On 3/17/2016 at 3:15 AM, Gavin said:

My opinion on Thorntons ability is this: If he reaches his potential not only is there no rookie O Lineman going to beat him out but he also has the capability of being an elite All Pro Guard. As far as a physically gifted Guard with massive potential Grigson was spot on.....I got him penciled in at RG for him to lose but I don't think he will.but I want to see that potential reached

I agree with your assessment of Holmes and Thornton.  Injuries have been an issue with him starting.  I think part of the problem was consistency among the line.    When Thornton returned, he was making a lot of mistakes his first couple of games back, false starts etc.  

I have high hopes for the new scheme and line coaches, especially since we seem to be sticking to what we have in regards to FA.  We'll see what the draft brings.