Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how much say will Luck have in HC/GM decision?

ColtsFanMikeC

I will be shocked if Irsay is not planning to offer Luck a very high-priced, long-term contract.

However, I wonder how the front office/coaching turmoil is playing a role in this.

Luck seems to be a consummate professional, and I can't see him saying anything but positive comments about Pagano/Grigson or any other coaches/players/etc.  to the media.

That said, I would be pretty furious at Grigson if I were Luck for doing nothing to improve the OL (arguably the biggest problem since Grigson took over this team, still the biggest problem 4 years later -- I would argue the line has even digressed under Grigson's time in Indy).

There are some similarities with Peyton here -- Peyton had the second worst year of his career (after rookie year) in his 4th year -- Luck had by far the worst year of his career (even without considering injury) this year.  So, obviously, it is possible for a QB to have success with a coaching change this early in his career.

I'm just thinking if I were Luck, I would want to spend my career in a stable franchise.  So far, Luck has seen offensive coordinators change multiple times since he's been here, has dealt with a weak OL since his first day here (that seemingly has gotten weaker over time), and has had to deal with a lot of off-field distractions (perhaps stemming from Irsay's pre-season comments) regarding turmoil between coaching staff and the front office.

If I'm Luck, before even talking terms of length and money of a new contract here in Indy, I would be demanding a guarantee that the offensive line will be addressed heavily this offseason.  I would also be thinking about the type of coaching staff I would want to play for (specifically on offense).  Sure Grigson/Pagano came in saying we want to 'run the ball' and 'stop the run', but our OL is still terrible, Grigson made a huge flop on the T-Rich trade, etc.. and even with a still very good Frank Gore, this team struggles to run the ball.  Again, if I'm Luck, I'm demanding guarantees to have a say in the philosophy of the coaching staff/front office going forward and promises that whoever is hired will hold true to their mission statement.

I'm sure Luck can't be too pleased (even though he doesn't show it to the media) about many assets of how this team is structured and how it has been built around him (he should have plenty of WR weapons with TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett going forward, but I don't think any QB in the league would be happy to have seen how our OL has been developed over the past 4 years).   I'm also sure it isn't fun for a franchise player to have to deal with public riffs between coaches/GM or for a franchise player to consistently have to deal with new offensive coordinators/philosophies (obviously, if an OC does very well, he might be targeted to become a head coach elsewhere, but that doesn't mean an entire philosophy shift needs to occur).  I know Luck is too much of a professional to voice any displeasures to the media/public, but I sure hope he has the cahonies to sit down with Irsay behind closed doors and tell him what his needs are if he's going to sign up for being our long-term franchise QB.

Luck needs to realize that he is culpable for his injuries and interceptions.  The much heralded Dallas Cowboy Oline that is full of high round draft picks got Romo injured...twice.  Despite that investment in the oline, the Cowboys went nowhere.

But I think Luck should have input into the offensive system and talk about what kind of system he thinks he would excel at.

DD, I guess all our hurting QBs are culpable for their injuries according to you as you stiil feel our OL is good. Listened to Venturi today and he must not know much as he said the organization needs help in a lot of areas but the entire OL is really questionable and really need scrutinized. Every draft rag talks about how the Colts really need to beef up the OL. Hard to watch the Colts and not realize our OL sucks.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Luck needs to realize that he is culpable for his injuries and interceptions.  The much heralded Dallas Cowboy Oline that is full of high round draft picks got Romo injured...twice.  Despite that investment in the oline, the Cowboys went nowhere.

But I think Luck should have input into the offensive system and talk about what kind of system he thinks he would excel at.

Now I get to return the favor, good post, especially about the Dallas OL.

I think they need a good OC who's style matches Andrew's strengths, I also think we need someone like a Tom Moore, an older gentlemen with tons of NFL experience calling the O's calls. 

However, I'd like to see us get one of the stud Defensive Coordinators as our HC and a GM who will get him the players the COACH wants in his system.  I think that's where Grigs and Pags differed.

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

DD, I guess all our hurting QBs are culpable for their injuries according to you as you stiil feel our OL is good. Listened to Venturi today and he must not know much as he said the organization needs help in a lot of areas but the entire OL is really questionable and really need scrutinized. Every draft rag talks about how the Colts really need to beef up the OL. Hard to watch the Colts and not realize our OL sucks.

I read the OP as wanting Luck to demand to Irsay that he improve the oline....I assume by investing 1st round picks into it....so I thought the Dallas reference was relevant.

MH gets hurt.  He's brittle.  Read about his history and why TN moved on from him about 5 years ago and why no team signed him to start in the past few years, despite being very competent...when available.

Whitehurst pulled his hammy running from Ndamukong Suh.  It happens.

But none of those facts means I think the oline is good.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Now I get to return the favor, good post, especially about the Dallas OL.

I think they need a good OC who's style matches Andrew's strengths, I also think we need someone like a Tom Moore, an older gentlemen with tons of NFL experience calling the O's calls. 

However, I'd like to see us get one of the stud Defensive Coordinators as our HC and a GM who will get him the players the COACH wants in his system.  I think that's where Grigs and Pags differed.

I think the biggest weakness on this team has been the offensive braintrust, which may include QB coach, receivers coach, and Oline coach.  They have really underperformed with Luck and have been inconsistent the past few years.....remember the slow starts in the past?  That's not really a talent issue, its a preparation gameplanning issue, IMO.  Although, the talent could be better too.

I definitely think Irsay has a sit-down with Luck to discuss the future of the organization.  Definitely think he should allow Luck's input to ensure that they're both on the same page. Luck is entering his prime on the next contact and the Colts simply have to get better in all phases, starting at the top of the organization.  We can't afford another year of offensive line ineptitude,  first round draft gaffes, or aging veterans that have nothing left in the tank. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Did I miss something where Luck was blaming someone else for those two things?

Hasselbeck is to blame for all those shots he took also.  The offensive is solid. /sarcasm

25 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Did I miss something where Luck was blaming someone else for those two things?

Hasselbeck is to blame for all those shots he took also.  The offensive is solid. /sarcasm

Read my response upstream.  OP said the oline got the QBs injured.  That's not true.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Read my response upstream.  OP said the oline got the QBs injured.  That's not true.

Any QB can get hit and get injured, that's not the point.  Luck has taken way too many hits since he put on a colts uniform and I imagine is takes a toll as the season goes on.  Sure, some of its on him and some of its on the play calling, but I don't see how any can be happy with the offensive line play the past few yrs.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Any QB can get hit and get injured, that's not the point.  Luck has taken way too many hits since he put on a colts uniform and I imagine is takes a toll as the season goes on.  Sure, some of its on him and some of its on the play calling, but I don't see how any can be happy with the offensive line play the past few yrs.

The oline needs upgrade of talent in maybe two positions.  But the OC and QB need to recognize that and stop trying to chuck the ball downfield after taking seven step drops....when the oline needs an upgrade in talent.

Unless...maybe...that's the only thing the OC and QB know how to do.

Just now, DougDew said:

The oline needs upgrade of talent in maybe two positions.  But the OC and QB need to recognize that and stop trying to chuck the ball downfield after taking seven step drops....when the oline needs an upgrade in talent.

Unless...maybe...that's the only thing the OC and QB know how to do.

That's Arians calling card.  That's what he does come hell or highwater.  That's what for him fired in Pittsburg. and it seemed to me that Pep was so clueless he often fell back on Arians' playbook.

No team has ever succeeded with a good QB without a team around him. If Luck leaves then so be it. He was not impressive this year in his limited play and if he was injured then his inaccuracy and poor decision making still land on his shoulders. He is too long in the league to keep trying to throw the ball in the grasp and his throws have always been high because of his motion. All of his INTs are his fault, all of them.

None....what does he know about running a football organization.....maybe if they were asking about building upgrades...but let's be honest...hiring Pep his old OC did nothing but hinder his growth in my opinions....it might have been comfortable for him...made him more at ease but it did NOTHING to improve him as a player...if we want to see him grow we need the right coaches brought in to complete that...and I don't think Andrew needs to tell us who that is. Football people can identify that easy enough.

I agree that Luck is a player and not a guy who should have a lot of say on upper management decisions. However, despite not making the decision first hand he also has the choice of staying with the Colts long term or not. I do not think Luck will leave the Colts, but that outcome could happen if Luck wants it to happen. With that in mind Luck's opinion could play more of a role than one would think. 

22 hours ago, Superman said:

Luck should have no say in either decision. He should play QB, and that's it.

22 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

The quarterback should have no say in it.  He does not work in the personnel department.  

22 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

0 he's a player not the owner or GM.

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm sorry, why would he get any say so at all? 

Luck is supposed to be our franchise QB.  Irsay has said this repeatedly since we drafted Luck that he wants to win multiple super bowls with him, and I believe he expects Luck to be the Colts' QB for at least another 8-10 years.

I get he's not the owner or GM, but I also don't see why in the world he would want to resign with Indy without having some say.  He could sign a pretty handsome contract with probably 25 or more teams in this league if he wanted to.

Fact of the matter is, he's been getting hit way too much during his time here (yes, some of that is on him for extending plays, not sliding, etc., but there is no way anyone can argue it is not at least in large part due to a poor OL).

Now we've got sources suggesting the culture of the Indianapolis Colts is not a good one, with dysfunction occurring on multiple levels with in the organization. 

Grigson, knowing that our OL was our team's biggest weakness after last season (and which got weaker after parting ways with Cherilus), thought the fix was to draft a 7th rounder from Mars Hill and sign an average, at best, old guard in Herremans.  If I'm Luck, I'm taking that as a slap to the face.  Add to it that there are reports (I think they are credible) suggesting the GM is forcing that an awful back (Richardson) start to save face (obviously, this is not in the best interest for Andrew or the Colts as a team).

I'm sure Luck wants to win multiple SBs in the NFL.  I'm sure Luck wants to be able to walk when he is 40 years old.  The culture of this organization and the talent on our OL right now, along with a fastly improving AFC South, certainly do not suggest Luck will be able to do either if he stays here.

If I'm Luck, I'd also be demanding a guarantee for some sort of stability.  In 4 years he has had 3 offensive coordinators, all with different offensive philosophies. It's not fair for him to have be learning new systems just about every year.  They say Luck is one of the smartest football players in the NFL, some have even suggested he picks up the game faster than Peyton and other greats -- to me, given a consistent system, Luck should be able to continuously tweak it, similar to how Peyton did, to have stability and sustained success.

I'm sorry, but why would he want to sign a long-term deal with Indy without having input as to the future of this franchise?  There are plenty of other teams in the league who would sign him in a heart beat, and plenty that probably have more pieces in place which would benefit Luck's health and chances to win.

50 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Luck is supposed to be our franchise QB.  Irsay has said this repeatedly since we drafted Luck that he wants to win multiple super bowls with him, and I believe he expects Luck to be the Colts' QB for at least another 8-10 years.

I get he's not the owner or GM, but I also don't see why in the world he would want to resign with Indy without having some say.  He could sign a pretty handsome contract with probably 25 or more teams in this league if he wanted to.

Fact of the matter is, he's been getting hit way too much during his time here (yes, some of that is on him for extending plays, not sliding, etc., but there is no way anyone can argue it is not at least in large part due to a poor OL).

Now we've got sources suggesting the culture of the Indianapolis Colts is not a good one, with dysfunction occurring on multiple levels with in the organization. 

Grigson, knowing that our OL was our team's biggest weakness after last season (and which got weaker after parting ways with Cherilus), thought the fix was to draft a 7th rounder from Mars Hill and sign an average, at best, old guard in Herremans.  If I'm Luck, I'm taking that as a slap to the face.  Add to it that there are reports (I think they are credible) suggesting the GM is forcing that an awful back (Richardson) start to save face (obviously, this is not in the best interest for Andrew or the Colts as a team).

I'm sure Luck wants to win multiple SBs in the NFL.  I'm sure Luck wants to be able to walk when he is 40 years old.  The culture of this organization and the talent on our OL right now, along with a fastly improving AFC South, certainly do not suggest Luck will be able to do either if he stays here.

If I'm Luck, I'd also be demanding a guarantee for some sort of stability.  In 4 years he has had 3 offensive coordinators, all with different offensive philosophies. It's not fair for him to have be learning new systems just about every year.  They say Luck is one of the smartest football players in the NFL, some have even suggested he picks up the game faster than Peyton and other greats -- to me, given a consistent system, Luck should be able to continuously tweak it, similar to how Peyton did, to have stability and sustained success.

I'm sorry, but why would he want to sign a long-term deal with Indy without having input as to the future of this franchise?  There are plenty of other teams in the league who would sign him in a heart beat, and plenty that probably have more pieces in place which would benefit Luck's health and chances to win.

You don't let your players run the team.

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don't let your players run the team.

If you're an elite player expected to be the face of a franchise, you don't sign up to play for a team without knowing you'll have stability and protection.

The amount of abuse Luck's body has taken in the first 4 seasons here is unacceptable (granted some of it is on him due to extending plays, tackling after interceptions, or not sliding).  After suffering serious rib, shoulder and organ injuries this season, I imagine Luck is seriously considering his long-term health. 

I'm not saying he should outright choose who is the coach or the GM (i.e., at no point did I say Luck should 'run the team'), but if Irsay wants to sign Luck for the long-term, I think he has every right to demand the OL be taken care of and to have some say in the type of scheme/philosophy of the offense going forward. 

If I'm Luck, I would not sign with the Colts without having my voice heard about the future direction of this organization and without knowing that serious upgrades will be made to my OL.  Our OL has been the biggest weakness on this team for the past 4 years, and our current GM hasn't shown/done anything to suggest he knows how to fix it -- instead, he's let the problem grow worse over time.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

None of this explains why he would be interviewing head coaches.

26 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

If you're an elite player expected to be the face of a franchise, you don't sign up to play for a team without knowing you'll have stability and protection.

The amount of abuse Luck's body has taken in the first 4 seasons here is unacceptable (granted some of it is on him due to extending plays, tackling after interceptions, or not sliding).  After suffering serious rib, shoulder and organ injuries this season, I imagine Luck is seriously considering his long-term health. 

I'm not saying he should outright choose who is the coach or the GM (i.e., at no point did I say Luck should 'run the team'), but if Irsay wants to sign Luck for the long-term, I think he has every right to demand the OL be taken care of and to have some say in the type of scheme/philosophy of the offense going forward. 

If I'm Luck, I would not sign with the Colts without having my voice heard about the future direction of this organization and without knowing that serious upgrades will be made to my OL.  Our OL has been the biggest weakness on this team for the past 4 years, and our current GM hasn't shown/done anything to suggest he knows how to fix it -- instead, he's let the problem grow worse over time.

Its Irsay's team, not Lucks. If Luck up and decided he wanted to run this team, he can go. Thats as toxic as it is inexperience. A franchise killer.

39 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

The players don't run the team and even if Luck said no I don't want to sign here the Colts are going to franchise tag him the next three years to keep him here after next.  Also, I doubt Luck would be the kind of person who would demand say in who the head coach is.  I am sure he would offer an opinion if asked but Luck has never seemed like the kind of player who is going to try to run things outside of his job which is to be the QB. 

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:
15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Not once do I suggest he should be interviewing head coaches.  I suggest he should potentially have a say in the philosophy of the franchise and the system he gets to play in going forward. 

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Its Irsay's team, not Lucks. If Luck up and decided he wanted to run this team, he can go. Thats as toxic as it is inexperience. A franchise killer.

Luck, despite poor play and injury this year, will be touted as an elite NFL QB going into free agency.  Not once do I say Luck should 'run this team'.  I simply said I think he has the right to voice his opinion about 1) needing protection (because what Grigson has done to provide this for his franchise player and self-proclaimed desire to be a smashmouth team that can run the ball is an absolute joke), (2) the right to demand some sort of stability -- I guarantee you, Luck isn't going to win the superbowls Irsay wants if he has to deal with learning a new offense every year he's in the league, and (3) the right to voice his opinion about the philosophy/scheme of the offense he plays in.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The players don't run the team and even if Luck said no I don't want to sign here the Colts are going to franchise tag him the next three years to keep him here after next.  Also, I doubt Luck would be the kind of person who would demand say in who the head coach is.  I am sure he would offer an opinion if asked but Luck has never seemed like the kind of player who is going to try to run things outside of his job which is to be the QB. 

The Colts can franchise Luck, and I'm sure they will if he shows interest in going elsewhere.  However, I still hope Luck and Irsay have a conversation about the future of this organization -- Irsay wants Luck to be the future, he should at least have the opportunity to discuss it.  Never once do I say Luck should name the next head coach, or 'run this organization', all I'm saying is I think he should have the right to discuss his needs (protection/organization stability) and desires (offensive scheme/philosophy) with the owner before discussing signing a long-term deal.

3 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

Hopefully none if he recommended Pep.

By all accounts, Grigson went after Pep.  If Kravitz's report is true, Pep reported to Grigson, not Pagano, which is total nonsense.

It may be possible that Grigson went after Pep because Andrew was familiar with him, and Andrew might have supported the idea, but I don't think Luck is the one who actively sought after Pep.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Not once do I suggest he should be interviewing head coaches.  I suggest he should potentially have a say in the philosophy of the franchise and the system he gets to play in going forward. 

Luck, despite poor play and injury this year, will be touted as an elite NFL QB going into free agency.  Not once do I say Luck should 'run this team'.  I simply said I think he has the right to voice his opinion about 1) needing protection (because what Grigson has done to provide this for his franchise player and self-proclaimed desire to be a smashmouth team that can run the ball is an absolute joke), (2) the right to demand some sort of stability -- I guarantee you, Luck isn't going to win the superbowls Irsay wants if he has to deal with learning a new offense every year he's in the league, and (3) the right to voice his opinion about the philosophy/scheme of the offense he plays in.

The Colts can franchise Luck, and I'm sure they will if he shows interest in going elsewhere.  However, I still hope Luck and Irsay have a conversation about the future of this organization -- Irsay wants Luck to be the future, he should at least have the opportunity to discuss it.  Never once do I say Luck should name the next head coach, or 'run this organization', all I'm saying is I think he should have the right to discuss his needs (protection/organization stability) and desires (offensive scheme/philosophy) with the owner before discussing signing a long-term deal.

I would seriously doubt Luck has much interest in going some place else.  What we are going to see is Luck get paid a bank load of cash on a long term deal and that will be that.  Fans used to have the same fears about Peyton Manning when his deal was coming up. It's just that fears.  What about Luck even suggests he's looking to leave? 

I think Luck understands he's not the one who is most qualified to be picking out a Head Coach and GM and while I am sure he has personal preferences he understands that's not his roll.  By the same token I am sure if Irsay feels like Luck has any concerns he would talk to him.  However, by the same token Irsay doesn't need to consult Luck if he doesn't want to. 

When you start letting players call the shots then you are headed in the wrong direction.  Irsay knows this and I am sure Luck knows this too and wouldn't ask for special treatment like that. 

If I'm Luck, and I dont agree with the direction of the team,  I'm out of here the first chance I get.  It does work- see Eli Manning and the Chargers.

Luck may be happy with Pagano and/or Grigson, I don't know,  but Luck has some leverage if he chooses to use it. This is why if I'm Irsay, I consult with the future of my franchise to make sure he's on board and make sure he feels respected. 

It all depends on Luck's personality.  He seems to smile and speak the company line. So maybe it's a non-starter.

if Peyton retires and is at all interested in coaching, hire him as OC. Then hire Reggie as WR coach. And Adam Gase as HC. Or Peyton as GM. He may not have the scouting experience but you can't tell me that after 20 years in the league he can't tell who can and can't play.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would seriously doubt Luck has much interest in going some place else.  What we are going to see is Luck get paid a bank load of cash on a long term deal and that will be that.  Fans used to have the same fears about Peyton Manning when his deal was coming up. It's just that fears.  What about Luck even suggests he's looking to leave? 

I think Luck understands he's not the one who is most qualified to be picking out a Head Coach and GM and while I am sure he has personal preferences he understands that's not his roll.  By the same token I am sure if Irsay feels like Luck has any concerns he would talk to him.  However, by the same token Irsay doesn't need to consult Luck if he doesn't want to. 

When you start letting players call the shots then you are headed in the wrong direction.  Irsay knows this and I am sure Luck knows this too and wouldn't ask for special treatment like that. 

I agree with you, players calling the shots is not a good thing.  However, Luck should have the right to demand improved quality on the OL and the right to ask for stability (3 o-coordinators in 4 seasons, all with different philosophies, is not a stable environment). 

Luck is, IMO, professional enough that he isn't going to publicly throw anyone under the bus or speak out.  However, given the fact that Luck was the most hit QB in the league as a rookie and in year 4 he is injured and playing behind a worse offensive line should be a major concern for him when he thinks about his future (the injury which got his kidney was on him, but he took quite a beating in the pocket prior to that which caused rib/shoulder injuries).  While Luck seems like the type of player who would want to stay with one franchise and hasn't done/said anything to suggest he's looking elsewhere, there is no doubt that if he isn't signed before free agency, he will be getting calls from all over the league.  If I am Andrew Luck, I'd certainly be willing to use the fact that I have other options to my advantage and would be telling Irsay I am not committing to being a life-long Colt without certain needs being fulfilled (i.e., OL improvement and stability).