Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals are Impressive

18Manning

1 minute ago, 18Manning said:

I'm surprised the Bengals are playing so well with their starting QB out. They don't appear to have dropped off much if at all. If they can keep this up, they're as formidable as any other team in the AFC.

They have a solid Defense and just a good all around team. That's why I cant believe a lot of people don't give us credit for blowing them out last year in the Playoffs. Dalton even played in our game.

Bengals' offensive strength is that O-line. They can hang with the best pass rushers, that OL. No wonder Dalton's numbers were eye popping. However, their skill position players can be hit and miss, IMO.

On D, their ability to just rush four and get to the QB is their ammo. If you have a good OL and neutralize their DL (easier said than done), all of a sudden you can pick apart their zones, IMO. They have issues with QBs that can stand tall in the pocket and deliver while the rush is getting to them, ala Big Ben and Andrew Luck. They will actually give guys like Peyton and Brady more fits than Big Ben and Luck, IMO.

29 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

After last night we can all say "THE SAME OLD BENGALS!" it isnt Dalton but the team wilts in Prime time!

They didn't get the win, but kept it close with a backup QB against the NFL's number 1 D in an away game. IMO, that's pretty impressive.  

9 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

They didn't get the win, but kept it close with a backup QB against the NFL's number 1 D in an away game. IMO, that's pretty impressive.  

I have to admit AJ impressed me last night. Denver's D had their work cut out for them. By the way this Prim lady on First Take today is much better than Molly. She is sharp. Not just looks but her intelligence too.

4 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

Both teams technically had Back ups in there, also BOTH teams have top rated D as well. I was disappointed the Bengals D allowed a 14 point advantage to go away. 

4 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Both teams technically had Back ups in there, also BOTH teams have top rated D as well. I was disappointed the Bengals D allowed a 14 point advantage to go away. 

Yeah, I thought the Bengals were going to really hang some points on Denver. I didn't watch the entire game, but kept checking the score. When I saw Bengals up by 14, I lost interest (not so competitive). Wasn't there a point where the Bengals were threatening to go up by 21? I checked the score again sometime after the half and the Broncos were up by 3, so I started watching the game.

4 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

Yeah, I thought the Bengals were going to really hang some points on Denver. I didn't watch the entire game, but kept checking the score. When I saw Bengals up by 14, I lost interest (not so competitive). Wasn't there a point where the Bengals were threatening to go up by 21? I checked the score again sometime after the half and the Broncos were up by 3, so I started watching the game.

I watched the score till I went to bed, but being up 14-3 at half makes me think they failed to do ANY half time adjustments.. I mean the O did nothing the rest of the game and the D well they just couldnt maintain the lead. Which is typical Bengals in prime time, I think its a coach thing. 

15 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I watched the score till I went to bed, but being up 14-3 at half makes me think they failed to do ANY half time adjustments.. I mean the O did nothing the rest of the game and the D well they just couldnt maintain the lead. Which is typical Bengals in prime time, I think its a coach thing. 

The bolded is absurd.  If the Bengals are leading 14-3, what halftime "adjustments" should they have made? Perhaps you meant to write something else. 

With a backup QB on the road against the best defense in the league, the Bengals almost won. They lost by 3 in overtime. What is there to criticize? 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The bolded is absurd.  If the Bengals are leading 14-3, what halftime "adjustments" should they have made? Perhaps you meant to write something else. 

With a backup QB on the road against the best defense in the league, the Bengals almost won. They lost by 3 in overtime. What is there to criticize? 

They only scored 14 points, All in the 1st quarter. There were def half time adjustments to be made. The D was playing well but the O had well stalled Adjustments were needed. Sorry but this was TYPICAL Bengals in PT they wilt under the lights, comman denominator is the coach.

And as everyone likes tell me Injuries happen you have to deal with it so the "back-up" QB doesn't fly the Broncos also have a BACK-UP in at QB going against one of the top D as well. 

7 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

They only scored 14 points, All in the 1st quarter. There were def half time adjustments to be made. The D was playing well but the O had well stalled Adjustments were needed. Sorry but this was TYPICAL Bengals in PT they wilt under the lights, comman denominator is the coach.

And as everyone likes tell me Injuries happen you have to deal with it so the "back-up" QB doesn't fly the Broncos also have a BACK-UP in at QB going against one of the top D as well. 

I guess they should fire the coach then. Lol.

Everyone I know expected the Broncos to win.  It was a must-win game for Denver and Denver has the best defense in the NFL. Anyone criticizing the Bengals is only looking for something to complain about.

It is unfortunate that many people see only what is negative and wrong.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I guess they should fire the coach then. Lol.

Everyone I know expected the Broncos to win.  It was a must-win game for Denver and Denver has the best defense in the NFL. Anyone criticizing the Bengals is only looking for something to complain about.

It is unfortunate that many people see only what is negative and wrong.

The reason most people expected the Broncos to win (Which IMO would still been the case with Dalton playing) is simple the Bengals are awful in prime time... something like 1-8 i think since Dalton came on board. (were not much better before him either)

I think their coach is over rated and needs be canned, they been great till the games matter (they are yet to win a playoff game w Dalton at QB, and I dont think their HC has won one either but that I could be wrong about) or if the entire country is watching then they become the Bengals again.

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think 'lack of halftime adjustments' is the catch all criticism of teams that lose a game.

Its so vague it cant be argued and so all-inclusive that any loss can be blamed on it

5 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I'm holding judgement on the Bengals until I see them perform in the playoffs. We've seen this time and time again how impressive they'll be, but what matters is the post season. 

Without a Bye week I see them 1 and done again. Can they beat the Steelers, Chiefs, or Jets? Maybe but it's not a given.

I feel bad for them. Unless Dalton comes back they are so boned here. I mean, they went from a team I saw legit maybe going to the SB this year to being one and done and dead in the water in the WC round due to a thumb injury.

Any news on Dalton? Can he come back for the playoffs or is he done for good?

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

I feel bad for them. Unless Dalton comes back they are so boned here. I mean, they went from a team I saw legit maybe going to the SB this year to being one and done and dead in the water in the WC round due to a thumb injury.

Any news on Dalton? Can he come back for the playoffs or is he done for good?

I haven't heard anything yet. I would like to see him win a Playoff game. I am starting to feel sorry for Cincy. I am not sure even with him they would beat the Steelers, Chiefs, or Jets. I think they have a solid team but for some reason in the Playoffs they stink.

15 hours ago, JimJaime said:

After last night we can all say "THE SAME OLD BENGALS!" it isnt Dalton but the team wilts in Prime time!

I understand the situation they're in, but at the end of the day, it's the same old Bengals! Fire Marvin Lewis. Watch them lose first playoff game.

19 hours ago, 18Manning said:

I'm surprised the Bengals are playing so well with their starting QB out. They don't appear to have dropped off much if at all. If they can keep this up, they're as formidable as any other team in the AFC.

The Bengals have no chance without Dalton. It is a killer that they lost to Denver as they needed the bye in order to get Dalton back. McCarron is a nice kid but after a solid first half where his receivers made some acrobatic catches for him, the Denver defense ate his lunch in the second half. Maybe they luck out and draw a favorable match up in the wild card round at home but I don't see them beating KC or Pitt (if Pitt makes it in), maybe the Jets but I would not bet on it.

17 hours ago, JimJaime said:

I think their coach is over rated and needs be canned, they been great till the games matter (they are yet to win a playoff game w Dalton at QB, and I dont think their HC has won one either but that I could be wrong about) or if the entire country is watching then they become the Bengals again.

Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990. Pathetic 

4 hours ago, amfootball said:

The Bengals have no chance without Dalton. It is a killer that they lost to Denver as they needed the bye in order to get Dalton back. McCarron is a nice kid but after a solid first half where his receivers made some acrobatic catches for him, the Denver defense ate his lunch in the second half. Maybe they luck out and draw a favorable match up in the wild card round at home but I don't see them beating KC or Pitt (if Pitt makes it in), maybe the Jets but I would not bet on it.

I have a friend that's a big Bengals fan. I said the same to him. I certainly don't think they'll go as far as the AFCCG, but they didn't get blown out at Denver. IMO, still an impressive performance (at least for part of the game) for a team with a backup QB.

1 minute ago, 18Manning said:

I have a friend that's a big Bengals fan. I said the same to him. I certainly don't think they'll go as far as the AFCCG, but they didn't get blown out at Denver. IMO, still an impressive performance (at least for part of the game) for a team with a backup QB.

Sure, all things considered McCarron did just fine but the Bengals are in deep trouble if he has to start in the playoffs which seems likely as the Bengals will play in the WC round before Dalton is ready to return if the Broncos beat the Chargers.

Eifert is back and I think the Bengals OL is underrated. Their OL has been rock solid against stout D-lines like the Broncos and the Ravens, IMO, in the last 2 weeks. I would not be shocked if they beat the Steelers and head to New England, contrary to popular belief.

Just now, chad72 said:

Eifert is back and I think the Bengals OL is underrated. Their OL has been rock solid against stout D-lines like the Broncos and the Ravens, IMO, in the last 2 weeks. I would not be shocked if they beat the Steelers and head to New England, contrary to popular belief.

Steelers opened as a 2 point favorite. There is a slim chance Dalton could play. Tough game to call IMO.

3 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Steelers opened as a 2 point favorite. There is a slim chance Dalton could play. Tough game to call IMO.

They'd be better off with A.J.McCarron, IMO. They might win a playoff game.

Big Ben - first game he was rusty vs Bengals, so Bengals win 16-10. Second game, Big Ben is limited to just FGs all day despite Dalton going out. The Bengals' D can limit Big Ben to the low 20s, the big question will be if McCarron can score in the mid 20s to win.

With Eifert back, the Steelers' weakness vs TEs can be exploited, that is a big plus, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

They'd be better off with A.J.McCarron, IMO. They might win a playoff game.

Big Ben - first game he was rusty vs Bengals, so Bengals win 16-10. Second game, Big Ben is limited to just FGs all day despite Dalton going out. The Bengals' D can limit Big Ben to the low 20s, the big question will be if McCarron can score in the mid 20s to win.

McCarron reminds me of Case Keenum. He is a spunky guy but he does not have the arm or awareness to make the plays against top level teams. I think Pitt will eat his lunch the way Denver did the second half. I agree that Cincy's D will limit Pitt but I don't think it will be enough.

15 minutes ago, amfootball said:

McCarron reminds me of Case Keenum. He is a spunky guy but he does not have the arm or awareness to make the plays against top level teams. I think Pitt will eat his lunch the way Denver did the second half. I agree that Cincy's D will limit Pitt but I don't think it will be enough.

I don't know. He has played on the big stage before. He won 2 national championship games. I'm not saying he is all that but I don't think he will be intimidated to play in big games. Also those throws he was making against Denver on the outside...he was money. Guys weren't even open and he was hitting the perfect windows. If Cincy can control the clock and the game with that running game and get Eifert involved early and often. I think they can win. The playoffs are soo interesting...AFC has a bunch of backups and then Tom and Big Ben and the NFC has qb future stars going at it. I think McCarron can get it done but the qb controversy there and in Denver is just nuts.

One thing I do remember is when the Colts came in on a 9 game winning streak to play the 8-8 Chargers and everyone said the Chargers were running into a hot team. But then, the Chargers won a close one. 

If the 7-9 Seahawks could beat the Saints, 8-8 Chargers could beat the Colts, 6-10 Panthers could beat the Cardinals, I am certain the Texans can surprise the Chiefs too. Both those teams play the run game and D oriented game. Only advantage is Alex Smith at QB for the Chiefs, IMO.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Especially if there qb is not playing

Yep. I read that Dalton is getting his cast removed soon though, so that may be a sign that he's preparing to return to the line-up. I like their chances better if he plays, but he needs to pull a Matt Ryan and get the playoff monkey off his back.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With DeAngelo Williams most likely out, I expect the Bengals to beat the Steelers this weekend.

I don't think the Steelers plan was to try to run on Cincy regardless. McCarron will have a tough time doing much vs the Steelers D like he did the second half in the regular season. But I do think Cincy has a chance in this game given it is at home but this is the worst possible match up for them.