Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive OG Todd Herremans and LB Amarlo Herrera; sign LB Andy Studebaker

MTC

1 hour ago, krunk said:

We'd be looking alright I have to say if we'd have kept Cherilus.  Depth would be really good too at the tackles with Good and Reitz.  There were decisions to be made with his injury 

Now people are saying we should have kept Cherilus?  Because he is starting for the Bucs?  This is all very confusing.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

39 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The sad thing is the window is Closing because Luck's next contract will take up a massive part of the salary cap.

the thing with this is, we can let go of a bunch of mediocre talent to make room for the big QB contract

i dont think it will be a huge blow, because the roster isnt all that great anyway.  there will be another rebuilding with young talent and we can easily end up better than we are now

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Thornton is not a bust.  Even though I didn't like Satele or McGlynn, I'm not sure who you wanted him to sign at that point, the Colts were in dead cap money hell.  I have seen very few argue that AC and Reitz were overpaid.

Okay, maybe I overreacted quite a bit about Castonzo and Reitz being overpaid. They are both good tackles. The point I should of made was Reitz and Castonzo were Polian players. The only quality lineman Grigson has added to the roster was Mewhort.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The sad thing is the window is Closing because Luck's next contract will take up a massive part of the salary cap.

The cap is expected to go up to $150 - 153 mil. next year (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/05/nfl-salary-cap-will-rise-above-150-million-in-2016/)

So, letting go of folks like AJ, Cole may not be that bad for us while signing Luck. I'd try to see if we can pull off a Russell Wilson type of contract with more guaranteed than what RW got - a 4 yr. $90 mil. or 5 yr. $110 mil. with 60% of it guaranteed or something like that. I would not be shocked if Luck does take such a contract, IMO.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Okay, maybe I overreacted quite a bit about Castonzo and Reitz being overpaid. They are both good tackles. The point I should of made was Reitz and Castonzo were Polian players. The only quality lineman Grigson has added to the roster was Mewhort.

I agree with that statement.  I tend to watch the line play during games and both lines have not been improved enough, IMO.  I am not always sure if it is a lack of talent or a lack of adequate coaching, probably a combination of both.

8 hours ago, MTC said:

Grigson's offensive line moves:

Drafted Hugh Thornton (bust) and Khaled Holmes (bust)

Signed Todd Herremans (bust)

Overpaid a mediocre right tackle in Gosder Cherlius

Signed C Samson Satele and RG Mike McGlynn (ha ha)

:pokerface:

Grigson is not capable of building an offensive line. The only slightly positive move he made was drafting Jack Mewhort. You can argue he overpaid Castonzo and Reitz (at the time as a depth player) as well.

Thanks,  I tried to argue this in another thread. I'm not convinced Grigson knows how to do it.

I dare someone argue that he does know how to do it, and chooses not to

5 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I agree with that statement.  I tend to watch the line play during games and both lines have not been improved enough, IMO.  I am not always sure if it is a lack of talent or a lack of adequate coaching, probably a combination of both.

The Dline would be miles above where it is now, quality and depth wise, if Jones and Anderson were healthy.... so let's not act like Grigs had done nothing there, just hasn't come to fruition yet

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

The Dline would be miles above where it is now, quality and depth wise, if Jones and Anderson were healthy.... so let's not act like Grigs had done nothing there, just hasn't come to fruition yet

I didn't mean to give the impression that Grigson has not done anything right or at least has tried to, but that doesn't change my opinion that both lines have not improved enough.  Henry Anderson was playing well before he was injured.  Jones I believe would have helped the Dline, but hasn't stayed healthy, similarly Thomas could never stay healthy and therefore couldn't help the Oline.

16 hours ago, MTC said:

Grigson is not capable of building an offensive line. The only slightly positive move he made was drafting Jack Mewhort. You can argue he overpaid Castonzo and Reitz (at the time as a depth player) as well.

I agree with this expect overpaying Reitz. He's been playing out of his mind at RT. 

Another problem is our 2 best linemen (Castanzo/Reitz) are holdovers from the Na'Polian regime. 

It boggles my mind how horrible Grigson is at building an O-Line when he himself was an O-Lineman. 

I'm glad Studebaker is back though. Our genius GM should've never let him go in the 1st place. 

12 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Now people are saying we should have kept Cherilus?  Because he is starting for the Bucs?  This is all very confusing.

I understood why we let him go due to the injury issue.  I was saying had we chosen to keep him we'd have some pretty good tackle depth right now since he's actually healthy.

Grigs has been horrible with his olineman free agent signings but his oline draft picks have been good.  Thornton is the Colts 2nd best best offensive lineman this year, Mewhort has proven to be very good.  Holmes was doing well at center before the team did what it did to Shipley and Good has filled in well at RT.  

With Josh Robinson on IR, the Colts use their open practice squad spot on RB-LaDarius Perkins (another Mississippi State product).

The @Colts still have one open spot on their 53-man roster with practice beginning later today. Quarterback position will be one to watch.

13 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Duh, if Cherilus were going to be healthy, then Grigson should have re-signed him.  If Cherilus was going to get hurt, then Grigson shouldn't have re-signed him.  This is pretty basic GM stuff. 

:sarcasm:

lol

11 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I don't agree with this at all.  I think these are 2 of the most talented lines Indy has had in over a decade.  Now you do point out that coaching might be the issue that is clouding your view which I can definitely agree with. For the longest time our oline were asked to make impossible blocks that just can't be done at the NFL level.  And now it seems as if an olineman is injured they automatically lose their spot.  I'm beyond baffled why Holmes isn't playing over Harrison and Thornton needs to be playing period.  He was playing lights out all year.

Our Dline is going to be pretty awesome sooner rather than later.  We have an actual talent on the line now in Anderson and a great counterpart in Parry.  Langford was an amazing signing and Jones is great rotational depth. We need 2 more role players and we will have a stout D-Line.

Now if we could only get Sio IN THE FLIPPING GAME and draft a good counterpart to him and our front seven will look pretty darn good.  (OLB needs a ton of work, but that is in so much of a hole right now I choose to ignore it)

14 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I blame Grigson for letting these 4 years go waste without building an offensive line that not only protects our QB but one that open holes for the running game. The O line has been a complete failure under his reign.  

I respect the good moves he has made and I forgive some of the mistakes but not addressing the O line with TOP priority is a reason to let him go at seasons end

If the Colts lose to Houston, I think grigs should be fired then.  No need to wait since they would be out of playoff contention.  Let the new GM search begin.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Grigs has been horrible with his olineman free agent signings but his oline draft picks have been good.  Thornton is the Colts 2nd best best offensive lineman this year, Mewhort has proven to be very good.  Holmes was doing well at center before the team did what it did to Shipley and Good has filled in well at RT.  

This is a pretty fair summary and contains the balance missing from typical reactionary comments about the O-Line building progression.  The major FA signings (Cherilus and Thomas) for the OL haven't worked out, but it's not because they were poor players. Herremens was brought in as depth, not as a building block.  In absence of any real evidence to the contrary, you'd have to blame the coaching staff for spending all off-season projecting Herremens and Louis as the starting OG's rather than backups.  The decisions for how to develop and deploy are on the coaches.

Mewhort and Thornton are progressing nicely as drafted players. Holmes has played well enough in flashes to reasonably project that he'd be a good NFL center if he could ever stay on the field.  

Things haven't worked out ideally yet for the O-line to become a high performing unit with continuity, but it isn't because they don't have the right talent level.  They have been assembled with the right building principles, and well evaluated for talent.

This is a group that you absolutely don't want to hit the reset button with.  Add another center in the draft, maybe a guard in free agency, and draft a Tackle in the first 4 rounds....in short, stay the course.  Castonzo, Mewhort, Thornton, and Reitz are good players...when you have 4 and simply need 5 plus depth, we are already in the shape that most teams really want to be in.

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I don't agree with this at all.  I think these are 2 of the most talented lines Indy has had in over a decade.  Now you do point out that coaching might be the issue that is clouding your view which I can definitely agree with. For the longest time our oline were asked to make impossible blocks that just can't be done at the NFL level.  And now it seems as if an olineman is injured they automatically lose their spot.  I'm beyond baffled why Holmes isn't playing over Harrison and Thornton needs to be playing period.  He was playing lights out all year.

Our Dline is going to be pretty awesome sooner rather than later.  We have an actual talent on the line now in Anderson and a great counterpart in Parry.  Langford was an amazing signing and Jones is great rotational depth. We need 2 more role players and we will have a stout D-Line.

Now if we could only get Sio IN THE FLIPPING GAME and draft a good counterpart to him and our front seven will look pretty darn good.  (OLB needs a ton of work, but that is in so much of a hole right now I choose to ignore it)

Well it looks like you agree a little bit.  I agree with you that sometimes the Oline is asked to make blocks that they are not capable of doing, that's on the coaches.  However, the TEs are asked to stay in and help block too often, so that could be a talent issue with the tackles.  Too many hits are put on the Colts QBs almost every game and it's not just Luck holding onto the ball.

The biggest issue with the Dline, and I was including the OLBs, is the lack of a consistent pass rush.  The only way the Colts get a pass rush is when they blitz.

10 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I didn't mean to give the impression that Grigson has not done anything right or at least has tried to, but that doesn't change my opinion that both lines have not improved enough.  Henry Anderson was playing well before he was injured.  Jones I believe would have helped the Dline, but hasn't stayed healthy, similarly Thomas could never stay healthy and therefore couldn't help the Oline.

yeah, you are right on there

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I agree with this expect overpaying Reitz. He's been playing out of his mind at RT. 

Another problem is our 2 best linemen (Castanzo/Reitz) are holdovers from the Na'Polian regime. 

It boggles my mind how horrible Grigson is at building an O-Line when he himself was an O-Lineman. 

I'm glad Studebaker is back though. Our genius GM should've never let him go in the 1st place. 

All of this is correct!

6 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Well it looks like you agree a little bit.  I agree with you that sometimes the Oline is asked to make blocks that they are not capable of doing, that's on the coaches.  However, the TEs are asked to stay in and help block too often, so that could be a talent issue with the tackles.  Too many hits are put on the Colts QBs almost every game and it's not just Luck holding onto the ball.

The biggest issue with the Dline, and I was including the OLBs, is the lack of a consistent pass rush.  The only way the Colts get a pass rush is when they blitz.

LOL true I do agree.  Me and my usual condescending self. 

TE's are asked to block because of scheme (imo).  If we employed more of a west coast dink n dunk scheme I think we'd see them used to their potential.  But that will be a wash as it is more than likely that Allen is gone next year...

The pass rush will come when we actually draft pass rushers.  We are to the point of having 4 SAMs on the roster and a very old and severely regressed Mathis...  Not a recipe for success. We get some pretty good penetration when Anderson is in, but no one to close the edges... Which is a dang shame.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 3:11 PM, MTC said:

Obviously his 2 years as an offensive lineman for the Detroit Lions in the 90's didn't help him out any as a lineman "whisperer"

On December 15, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Jonathan24 said:

Grigs only trying to save his job right now.  I hope he is done bringing in told eagles players.

Me too J24. Me too. He has had some success bringing in guys from the CFL. However, I agree Grigs has leaned too heavy on Philly re-treads if you ask me. 

LB Trent Cole has made some decent contributions here though, which I will give Ryan credit for.