Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greatest ILBs & DEs of All-Time

ColtRider

Was thinking about how the Colts would benefit from a great ILB & DE to ignite a great defense. The few names that kept popping in my mind were Lawrence Taylor, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Junior Seau, Ray Nitchke, Mike Curtis, Ray Lewis, Willie McGinnest. I'll defer to our members to list their greatest DEs of All-Time. 

These two positions are the start for a great defense. Which ILB & DE would you take from the All-Time greats to go along with our current roster?

Those guys are my favorites. Growing up I wanted to hit, feel the pads, etc not just score touchdowns. I only became a Favre fanboy because he started trucking them. My 10 favorite football players list would be Favre, Larry Allen (who also played like he was on defense) then a bunch of defensive guys.

My Top 5 players of all-time would be 1. Joe Montana, 2. LT - I have him 2nd, 3. Jim Brown, 4. Jerry Rice, 5. Reggie White! I have 2 Defensive players in my Top 5 ever. I think the QB position is the most important so I have Joe #1. Regarding LB's, players like LT, Lewis, Butkus, etc. redefined the game. Those guys were nasty hitters, especially Butkus!

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

DE's there are some obvious ones being forgotten Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Charles Hayley. Howie Long, Mean Joe, Too Tallmore recently Michael Strahann. 

I don't know how Charles Haley didn't get into the Hall of Fame. Man has 5 Super Bowl rings, and not in the Hall. But then again, that entire 90's Buffalo team would be in the Hall if they had won just one of those 4 SB's. 

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

I don't know how Charles Haley didn't get into the Hall of Fame. Man has 5 Super Bowl rings, and not in the Hall. But then again, that entire 90's Buffalo team would be in the Hall if they had won just one of those 4 SB's. 

Charles Haley is in the HOF.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Gino would get killed in today's game.    What was he,   230 lbs if that? 

Well, he was 6 foot 4 inches, so if he had today's modern day training and nutritional techniques, he would have done just fine. Additionally , he was a WW2 vet who was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a real warrior ! 

13 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Well, he was 6 foot 4 inches, so if he had today's modern day training and nutritional techniques, he would have done just fine. Additionally , he was a WW2 vet who was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a real warrior ! 

No question he was a tough guy. 

On December 13, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I Don't know in what world LT was considered an ILB but certainly not this one.

Yeah, my bad. OLB, ILB, MLB listing didn't matter to LT. He played all over the place. Best LB (how's that?) to ever play the game.

Sheeeeez. Gimme a break.

My top  10 DE's and ILB's.  Present players (Watt, Peppers, etc...) not included yet-

Defensive Ends-                                                           Linebackers-

Reggie White                                                               Dick Butkus

Deacon Jones                                                             Jack Lambert

Carl Eller                                                                     Nick Buoniconti  

Lee Roy Selmon                                                           Ray Nitschke

Bruce Smith                                                                  Mike Singletary

Charles Haley                                                                   Ray Lewis

Howie Long                                                                    Willie Lanier

Michael Strahan                                                              Junior Seau

Bob Lilly                                                                          Harry Carson

L.C.Greenwood                                                              Brian Urlacher

Loved the play of each of these guys, though  not a one played for the Colts.  So, my honorable mention goes to-

Bubba Smith.

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

My top  10 DE's and ILB's.  Present players (Watt, Peppers, etc...) not included yet-

Defensive Ends-                                                           Linebackers-

Reggie White                                                            

Deacon Jones                                                             Jack Lambert

Carl Eller                                                                        Dick Butkus

Lee Roy Selmon                                                           Ray Nitschke

Bruce Smith                                                                  Mike Singletary

Charles Haley                                                                   Ray Lewis

Howie Long                                                                    Willie Lanier

Michael Strahan                                                              Junior Seau

Bob Lilly                                                                          Harry Carson

L.C.Greenwood                                                              Brian Urlacher

Loved the play of each of these guys, though  not a one played for the Colts.  So, my honorable mention goes to-

Bubba Smith.

Pretty good breakdown regarding DE's and ILB's/MLB's, all of those players are outstanding!