Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is the NFL trying to accomplish in Europe?

bap1331

Giving London a team does not benefit the time change. If west coast and east coast teams already have a problem, you're making it worse in europe.

Unfair homefield advantage for teams playing in London.

Giving them a separate league would not help either because they would rather watch the NFL just like americans prefer to watch the English Premier league.

Putting them in danger with all the problems in Europe today. Especially sending America over there. It's quite a target.

We need to do a petition

ya I don't really understand either, there is a number of Canadian cities that can easily support an NFL team, its on the same continent, hardcore fans just like in the US, but I don't know the NFL refuses to express interest in Canada, they even cancelled the yearly Toronto game

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The plan is that the team (probably London Jaguars) would play the first half of the season at home and then decamp to somewhere over here for the second half of the season. Every team that goes to London gets a bye the following week so there's no issue with tiredness. The flight from Indy to London is no longer than a flight from NY to LA,.

ya I don't really understand either, there is a number of Canadian cities that can easily support an NFL team, its on the same continent, hardcore fans just like in the US, but I don't know the NFL refuses to express interest in Canada, they even cancelled the yearly Toronto game

Completely agree. Canada is a good place to start. Maybe have a team or 2 there. Probably Mexico maybe but I don't think it's a safe place to go.

Giving London a team does not benefit the time change. If west coast and east coast teams already have a problem, you're making it worse in europe.

Giving them a separate league would not help either because they would rather watch the NFL just like americans prefer to watch the English Premier league.

Putting them in danger with all the problems in Europe today. Especially sending America over there. It's quite a target.

We need to do a petition

Why do you want a petition against the NFL wanting to pick up new worldwide fans? So we are all suppose to be sacred and stay at home and hide under the bed? Sorry, you have already have become exactly what they want.

They are now also targeting Mexico,China, and Canada with Brazil and Germany on the Radar as well.  It's called untapped markets.  The 3 London games this year are all sold out.  So developing a fan base where TV ads could be additional revenues in Europe and othe rparts of North America is smart.

"The work we're doing now is to ask, 'How do we accelerate the agenda in Mexico, Canada and China?'" Mark Waller, NFL EVP, International, told Breer. "Those would be our next stage, and we have offices in those three countries. And then, after those, where should be our focus? I think we've concluded that Brazil and Germany are the next two frontier markets, which is where the Pro Bowl idea comes from."

** The league wants to extend the International Series beyond London, Breer writes. The target date is 2017 and Mexico and Germany are the target countries. The stadiums in Mexico City still need work, and the biggest issue in Germany is finding an over-the-air carrier for the regular-season games.**

They  (NFL) are said to be on target to have a team based out of London by 2022.  Those markets and the U.S. female audience is now the focus.  They have the U.S. male fan base already. And they know it.

We need to do a petition

When I initially clicked on this thread, I figured you were gonna talk about why do NFL teams even play in London since they never are given ample time to tour the city, take in historic sites, dine on authentic cuisine, & expand their cultural horizons? Because all the league ever does is fly across the pond & back with no mainstream international TV & mobile coverage. It's counter productive to me. I get the expand the shield's brand name angle, but without including a nation's heritage what's the point?

No NFL team should every be headquartered overseas since it is a professional american sport IMO. Visit other locations abroad fine I'm cool with that, but have a franchise reside in London permanently? No, not a good idea to me. JMO.  

What's ironic to me is that WR Michael Irvin helped the Commissioner understand that if you took rookies to Canton during the NFL Symposium to the HOF, they might grasp the significance of this great game & her illustrious history but when the league travels abroad she shouldn't have to learn anything about that country's proud traditions & noble history. Are you kidding me? That's very disrespectful & arrogant to me what Roger Goodell does. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The plan is that the team (probably London Jaguars) would play the first half of the season at home and then decamp to somewhere over here for the second half of the season. Every team that goes to London gets a bye the following week so there's no issue with tiredness. The flight from Indy to London is no longer than a flight from NY to LA,.

Sure. "Anything worth doing is worth doing for money, and if we do this, we all make money."

Actor Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecco, Wall Street, Hollywood Movie.

At least that's the marketing strategy for just about every company/and or/ corporation in the world.

They are now also targeting Mexico,China, and Canada with Brazil and Germany on the Radar as well.  It's called untapped markets.  The 3 London games this year are all sold out.  So developing a fan base where TV ads could be additional revenues in Europe and othe rparts of North America is smart.

"The work we're doing now is to ask, 'How do we accelerate the agenda in Mexico, Canada and China?'" Mark Waller, NFL EVP, International, told Breer. "Those would be our next stage, and we have offices in those three countries. And then, after those, where should be our focus? I think we've concluded that Brazil and Germany are the next two frontier markets, which is where the Pro Bowl idea comes from."

** The league wants to extend the International Series beyond London, Breer writes. The target date is 2017 and Mexico and Germany are the target countries. The stadiums in Mexico City still need work, and the biggest issue in Germany is finding an over-the-air carrier for the regular-season games.**

They  (NFL) are said to be on target to have a team based out of London by 2022.  Those markets and the U.S. female audience is now the focus.  They have the U.S. male fan base already. And they know it.

Right on the "money!", ColtsBlueFL. Nice info & post.

THEN DONT CHOOSE MEXICO CITY...I SWEAR IT GETS ON MY NERVERS...its like mexico is only mexico city.

I live in Guadalajara, second most important city in Mexico we got a new stadium built like 8 years ago and its top notch. 

Also Mexico city stadium, Azteca, is not that "modern" but the arena is huge and really good anyways

They want a bigger market. Remember FOOTBALL is a sport. The NFL is a business.

I think there will be TWO teams in Europe to lessen the travel stress..

..and There's a big fan pool in Mexico. they watch NFL games on Sunday now.

With the eternal good weather, I'm surprised there not already a team in Mexico

I think there will be TWO teams in Europe to lessen the travel stress..

..and There's a big fan pool in Mexico. they watch NFL games on Sunday now.

With the eternal good weather, I'm surprised there not already a team in Mexico

I can't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure the record for highest-attended NFL game was in Mexico

The largest and most popular sport in the world is soccer. Some soccer teams are worth more money than any American teams. If you think about the future with that in mind it is easy to understand why America wants to expand worldwide. The NFL already has at least one owner who was not American born and also owns a soccer team. Shahid Khan owns the Falcons and the Fulham FC.  Where American football is played over seas it is very popular. Years down the road there is a good chance it can become as popular worldwide as soccer. As it stands right now the term "World Champions" really is not true because American football is not played worldwide. Years down the road IMO it will be worldwide with the money that can be made. I also think American football will someday be an Olympic event. Baseball and Basketball have already went worldwide so American football will follow.

The part I always wonder about when they talk about these games selling out is, will they still sell out if there are 8+ a year?  Right now they are at a supply and demand issue.  A single game here and there will sell out because of the novelty factor alone, but will tickets still sell when/if it becomes a 'normal' event.  At that point you have to worry about over-saturation.  Then you have to worry about foreign economies, legal systems, safety issues, etc. 

I mean, c'mon.....The NBA and MLB have enough trouble keeping teams in Canada. :)

The part I always wonder about when they talk about these games selling out is, will they still sell out if there are 8+ a year?  Right now they are at a supply and demand issue.  A single game here and there will sell out because of the novelty factor alone, but will tickets still sell when/if it becomes a 'normal' event.  At that point you have to worry about over-saturation.  Then you have to worry about foreign economies, legal systems, safety issues, etc. 

I mean, c'mon.....The NBA and MLB have enough trouble keeping teams in Canada. :)

There don't seem to be any problems with basketball selling in Europe or baseball selling in Japan?

Because those places already have their own leagues set up and already have owners.

And the NFL tried to set up their own league in Europe and failed.

edit.

Also, the NBA and MLB are already taking the best players from Europe and Japan, how would those leagues keep them from planting a team there?

This is the oversaturation that Cuban was talking about. It makes sense from a business standpoint to expand globally but the product will suffer as the league will get even more watered down. The logistics of trying to have a team or teams in Europe will be a nightmare in terms of the traveling. Can you imagine a European team getting HFA in the playoffs and an AFC or NFC West team having to travel there for the conference champ game?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jags would never have to deal with je5 lag, they would get a buy before their trip to set up shop elsewhere, and either way the team going to London is at a disadvantage whether the bye is before or after.

The NFL has a shaky gentleman's agreement not to blow up the Canadian Football League..or they'd have expanded there years ago.

I don't think its impossible that the CFL is absorbed by the NFL someday

The NFL has a shaky gentleman's agreement not to blow up the Canadian Football League..or they'd have expanded there years ago.I don't think its impossible that the CFL is absorbed by the NFL someday

You know what? I've never really considered this. That, OUM, is something that could actually happen. As to what degree it would be, is anyone's guess. (number of teams absorbed)

Good point.

The largest and most popular sport in the world is soccer. Some soccer teams are worth more money than any American teams. If you think about the future with that in mind it is easy to understand why America wants to expand worldwide. The NFL already has at least one owner who was not American born and also owns a soccer team. Shahid Khan owns the Falcons and the Fulham FC.  Where American football is played over seas it is very popular. Years down the road there is a good chance it can become as popular worldwide as soccer. As it stands right now the term "World Champions" really is not true because American football is not played worldwide. Years down the road IMO it will be worldwide with the money that can be made. I also think American football will someday be an Olympic event. Baseball and Basketball have already went worldwide so American football will follow.

Malcolm Glazier had purchased both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and later Manchester United.  He passed away about a couple years ago and now his wife and 6 children (the Glaziers) control the two franchise assets.  So there was / is at least 2 dual sport owners; even though Glazier was U.S. born.

Malcolm Glazier had purchased both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and later Manchester United. He passed away about a couple years ago and now his wife and 6 children (the Glaziers) control the two franchise assets. So there was / is at least 2 dual sport owners; even though Glazier was U.S. born.

The Boston Red Sox owners also own Liverpool FC. Rams owner Stan Kroenke also owns Arsenal. Former Browns owner Randy Lerner owns Aston Villa.

They're coming over because they know they have a lot of fans that will buy tickets to the games. The games in the UK sell out fast!

At the end of the day, they do it because it has an audience.

And a flight form London to NYC is pretty much the same as LA to NYC

They're coming over because they know they have a lot of fans that will buy tickets to the games. The games in the UK sell out fast!

At the end of the day, they do it because it has an audience.

And a flight form London to NYC is pretty much the same as LA to NYC

While this is true, the NFL wants to expand it's markets. As any good company or corporation does, it's #1 goal is to satisfy their consumers, stockholders, and reinvest to expansion. The NFL is no different. Their marketing strategies have and will continue to have a worldwide base. To establish venues in other countries makes total sense from a business standpoint. By expansion, this includes revenue from a staggering amount of sources that represent NFL franchises now. From soup to nuts. It's all about the bucks.

We need to do a petition

NFL Europe has already flopped once .

NFL Europa began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams competing in the United States and Europe. After a two-year hiatus (1993-94) following the 1992 season, the league returned in 1995 as a six-team, all-European venture, with five teams in Germany since 2005, and has existed in that format through its final season in 2007.